• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel Study: Diversity and Inclusion in Gaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
In collaboration with Newzoo, Intel today released a report titled "Diversity and Inclusion in Gaming." This research identifies industry gaps and key insights in an effort to help make gaming more accessible and inclusive. "To strengthen diversity and inclusion across the gaming space, the industry needs to listen and act on the needs of its diverse gaming audience, as well as make hardware and software more affordable and accessible. As part of Intel's desire to better understand its global customer base, Intel is taking key learnings from this report and shaping current internal and external programs to better serve gamers from all backgrounds and walks of life," said Marcus Kennedy, general manager of Intel's Gaming and Esports Segment.

Newzoo, a leading provider of games and esports analytics, independently conducted a survey of 1,824 individuals in the United States between the ages of 10 and 65 who self-identified as gamers. The survey reveals that the gaming market lags behind in diverse representation, both in the player base and in the games themselves. Women, people of color, the LGBTQIA+ community and those with disabilities are often overlooked.

Key insights from the study include:
  • Diversity and inclusion in games matter to a diverse audience. Forty-seven percent of gamers don't play games they feel are not made for them. This represents a massive—and missed—opportunity for publishers and developers to meet those needs. Video games with more diverse characters appeal to a broader group of gamers and tend to increase a gaming genre's or franchise's popularity across a wider audience.
  • Accessibility and affordability will be key to strengthening diversity and inclusion in gaming. While accessibility options in gaming are getting better, there is still room for improvement. One of the opportunities for hardware and software producers is catering more to people in lower socioeconomic categories who are excluded from premium-priced products. The importance of accessibility becomes clearer when looking at the popularity of game library subscriptions, which are especially popular among people of color.
  • Gamers want companies to take a stance. According to the survey, over half of gamers feel brands should take an active stance on societal issues, irrespective of the respondent's race, gender identity or sexual orientation, or whether the respondent has a disability. Sitting on the fence for certain issues may seem like the safer option for companies but taking an active stance may lead to increased engagement and revenue among the diverse gaming audience.
By 2022, there will be around 2.7 billion gamers in the world, and Intel is constantly looking at how to best serve this vast and diverse gaming community. Intel believes sharing these important insights can result in better products industrywide and inform efforts to elevate gamers in underrepresented communities.

Read the full report on the Newzoo website.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard ASUS ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI)
Cooling Corsair iCUE H115i Elite Capellix 280mm
Memory 32GB G.Skill DDR4 3600Mhz CL18
Video Card(s) ASUS RTX 3070 Ti TUF Gaming OC Edition
Storage Sabrent Rocket 1TB M.2
Display(s) Dell S3220DGF
Case Corsair iCUE 4000X
Audio Device(s) ASUS Xonar D2X
Power Supply Corsair AX760 Platinum
Mouse Razer DeathAdder V2 - Wireless
Keyboard Corsair K70 MK.2 Low-Profile Rapidfire
Software Microsoft Windows 11 Pro (64-bit)
Why do their prices not reflect their words? :roll:

System Name M3401 notebook
Processor 5600H
Motherboard NA
Memory 16GB
Video Card(s) 3050
Storage 500GB SSD
Display(s) 14" OLED screen of the laptop
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores 3050 scores good 15-20% lower than average, despite ASUS's claims that it has uber cooling.
So, instead of doing chips, Intel is doing social justice bazinga.

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
But the bottom line here is -- its not their problem. They dont make games so they shouldnt care if its aliens on the moon or Klingons from Cardassia that need representation.

They should focus on making better products that compete against their rivals on the market. Hey intel, Why not focus your efforts on 7nm or a GPu that competes with the likes of AMD & Nvidia rather than this political posturing for digital high fives? --- The blue checkmarks on twitter aint gonna buy your products anyway. They probably dont even know that you exist unless your name is 'Apple'

Get back in the salt mines.

I mean what are they going to do?? start banning the sale of CPUs to people who dont fall within the categories they choose to support??

System Name ITX Desktop
Processor Core i7 9700K
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Pro WiFi Z390
Cooling Arctic esports 34 duo.
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3000MHz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 Gaming OC White PRO
Storage Samsung 970 EVO Plus | Intel SSD 660p
Case NZXT H200
Power Supply Corsair CX Series 750 Watt
"over half of gamers feel brands should take an active stance on societal issues."

This study seems like a waste of money. I am not sure who these "gamers" are, but I doubt consumers like being pandered to, especially from entertainment (movies, tv shows, games, etc).

System Name Poor Man's PC
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 7500F
Motherboard MSI B650M Mortar WiFi
Cooling ID Cooling SE 206 XT
Memory 32GB GSkill Flare X5 DDR5 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 6800 XT
Storage XPG Gammix S70 Blade 2TB + 8 TB WD Ultrastar DC HC320
Display(s) Mi Gaming Curved 3440x1440 144Hz
Case Cougar MG120-G
Audio Device(s) MPow Air Wireless + Mi Soundbar
Power Supply Enermax Revolution DF 650W Gold
Mouse Logitech MX Anywhere 3
Keyboard Logitech Pro X + Kailh box heavy pale blue switch + Durock stabilizers
VR HMD Meta Quest 2
Benchmark Scores Who need bench when everything already fast?
After losses so many, single and multi threads, gaming crown and efficiency, what are they going try to sell now? Availability? PR and marketing job at Intel turned out to be tougher than their engineering department.

System Name Cyberline
Processor Intel Core i7 2600k -> 12600k
Motherboard Asus P8P67 LE Rev 3.0 -> Gigabyte Z690 Auros Elite DDR4
Cooling Tuniq Tower 120 -> Custom Watercoolingloop
Memory Corsair (4x2) 8gb 1600mhz -> Crucial (8x2) 16gb 3600mhz
Video Card(s) AMD RX480 -> ... nope still the same :'(
Storage Samsung 750 Evo 250gb SSD + WD 1tb x 2 + WD 2tb -> 2tb MVMe SSD
Display(s) Philips 32inch LPF5605H (television) -> Dell S3220DGF
Case antec 600 -> Thermaltake Tenor HTCP case
Audio Device(s) Focusrite 2i4 (USB)
Power Supply Seasonic 620watt 80+ Platinum
Mouse Elecom EX-G
Keyboard Rapoo V700
Software Windows 10 Pro 64bit
I dont really understand what is there to study....it seems all pretty self evident to me....

System Name M3401 notebook
Processor 5600H
Motherboard NA
Memory 16GB
Video Card(s) 3050
Storage 500GB SSD
Display(s) 14" OLED screen of the laptop
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores 3050 scores good 15-20% lower than average, despite ASUS's claims that it has uber cooling.
I dont really understand what is there to study....it seems all pretty self evident to me....
So they have hired people skilled at "diversity and stuff".
And those people did some nonsense, in the name of diversity.

Do you think anyone in their right minds at Intel would dare criticize folks who have power to label anyone disagreeing with them?

"According to the survey, over half of gamers feel brands should take an active stance on societal issues"
^ And that's exactly why a lot of modern games are sh*t. Whilst some of the societal issues may well be real, many people play games to enjoy a healthy break from politics, not demand every game be an echo chamber of the dumb side of Facebook / Youtube comments section / the TV news every single night for the sake of social media peer approval seeking...

"One of the opportunities for hardware and software producers is catering more to people in lower socioeconomic categories who are excluded from premium-priced products. "
There's absolutely nothing wrong with buying non-AAA cheaper games when on a lower income. Been there and done that as a student + school-kid myself, and I enjoyed a lot of Indie games that would have been otherwise overlooked vs an over-obsession with $60 AAA's.

"Women, people of color, the LGBTQIA+ community and those with disabilities are often overlooked."
A relative of mine is a disabled gamer. What p*sses him off the most isn't "this game lacks a person in a wheelchair I can sympathise with" but actual genuine accessibility stuff (eg, lack of rebindable keys for which requests often get dismissed with "use a controller"). In fact another thing that p*sses him off is the fact the word "accessibility" itself has been hijacked for political reasons when for the disabled it has a long-standing meaning of something that's an actual genuine physical barrier to playing, eg, lack of subtitles for deaf gamers in a plot heavy game = literally cannot play at all, not just "I'm a game journalist who dislikes this game's sociological representation, therefore it's unplayable".

Last edited:
System Name Gaming
Processor Intel i7 4770K @ 4.8GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z87X-OC (Hacked for NVME support)
Cooling Corsair H100i
Memory 32GB Patriot Viper 3 DDR3 2400MHz CL10 (4x8GB)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Vega 64 Liquid
Storage Samsung 870 Pro 1TB SSD (PCIe NVME adapter)
Display(s) HP Pavilion 23xi IPS 1080p x3
Case Lian Li PC-A70S
Audio Device(s) SoundBlaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion PCIe
Power Supply Antec High Current Gamer Gold HCG750 Gold
Mouse Gigabyte GM-M6800 v2
Keyboard Logitech G15 v1
Software Windows 10 Pro 64bit
Perhaps they can help us out a little by scrapping their stupid naming schemes, they should adopt the KISS method for product naming.

It is impossible to make a excellent game that will be well received by everyone - if you try to fulfill everyone's wishes, it will most definitely be a mess ...

Also, LOL@Intel for "constantly looking at how to best serve this vast and diverse gaming community". They have been ripping us off with their expensive Quad Cores for years and now suddenly they are trying to sound like they were the good guys all along ...

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
A relative of mine is a disabled gamer. What p*sses him off the most isn't "this game lacks a person in a wheelchair I can sympathise with" but actual genuine accessibility stuff (eg, lack of rebindable keys for which requests often get dismissed with "use a controller"). In fact another thing that p*sses him off is the fact the word "accessibility" itself has been hijacked for political reasons when for the disabled it has a long-standing meaning of something that's an actual genuine physical barrier to playing, eg, lack of subtitles for deaf gamers in a plot heavy game = literally cannot play at all, not just "I'm a game journalist who dislikes this game's sociological representation, therefore it's unplayable".
Tropico series has usually had options for colorblind people (spectrum tinting). Beyond that not seen much. Excellent point.

And Im really happy if that will be the case.
You realize this is about gaming/gamers and not hiring practices?

System Name 3 desktop systems: Gaming / Internet / HTPC
Processor Ryzen 5 5500 / Ryzen 5 4600G / FX 6300 (12 years latter got to see how bad Bulldozer is)
Motherboard MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max (1) / MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max (2) / Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3
Cooling Νoctua U12S / Segotep T4 / Snowman M-T6
Memory 16GB G.Skill RIPJAWS 3600 / 16GB G.Skill Aegis 3200 / 16GB Kingston 2400MHz (DDR3)
Video Card(s) ASRock RX 6600 + GT 710 (PhysX)/ Vega 7 integrated / Radeon RX 580
Storage NVMes, NVMes everywhere / NVMes, more NVMes / Various storage, SATA SSD mostly
Display(s) Philips 43PUS8857/12 UHD TV (120Hz, HDR, FreeSync Premium) ---- 19'' HP monitor + BlitzWolf BW-V5
Case Sharkoon Rebel 12 / Sharkoon Rebel 9 / Xigmatek Midguard
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Chieftec 850W / Silver Power 400W / Sharkoon 650W
Mouse CoolerMaster Devastator III Plus / Coolermaster Devastator / Logitech
Keyboard CoolerMaster Devastator III Plus / Coolermaster Devastator / Logitech
Software Windows 10 / Windows 10 / Windows 7
Well, they do mention persons with disabilities. That's something I guess. But again those people are not in the center of the study, because skin color and gender make bigger headlines.

As for that study, in my opinion. It's just a payed study that says absolutely nothing. The only reason of doing it, is to put a good face for Intel on the news. Nothing more. I mean, look at the findings. "Forty-seven percent of gamers don't play games they feel are not made for them." What the hell is this? This is so abstract it is stupid. So, If I feel that an NFL game is not for me and an American feels that a soccer game is not for them, are we both getting in that 47%? The second one? "One of the opportunities for hardware and software producers is catering more to people in lower socioeconomic categories who are excluded from premium-priced products.". Are people of "lower socioeconomic categories" asking for charity? Should companies start doing more giveaways for the "lower socioeconomic categories" (damn, even the wording feels racist) while increasing the average price of AAA games? Isn't this hypocrisy? As for the third one, hello captain Obvious! How was your day?

D

Deleted member 177333

It is impossible to make a excellent game that will be well received by everyone - if you try to fulfill everyone's wishes, it will most definitely be a mess ...

Also, LOL@Intel for "constantly looking at how to best serve this vast and diverse gaming community". They have been ripping us off with their expensive Quad Cores for years and now suddenly they are trying to sound like they were the good guys all along ...

Exactly what I was thinking - different types of people like different types of games, and things in general. Just like not everyone likes the same type of cars, or clothes, etc. Specific games and stories are designed for specific audiences, and that's why they sell really well to the target audience. For the same reason that women are more into knitting than guys are, knitting is more targeted at females from a marketing and design angle, and as a straight masculine male I am in no way offended by knitting being marketed to women since it's something they enjoy. I don't need to see equal representation of white masculine males in knitting circles because I don't fucking care and it honestly doesn't make sense to make that an objective for obvious reasons.

System Name [H]arbringer
Processor 4x 61XX ES @3.5Ghz (48cores)
Motherboard SM GL
Cooling 3x xspc rx360, rx240, 4x DT G34 snipers, D5 pump.
Memory 16x gskill DDR3 1600 cas6 2gb
Video Card(s) blah bigadv folder no gfx needed
Storage 32GB Sammy SSD
Display(s) headless
Case Xigmatek Elysium (whats left of it)
Audio Device(s) yawn
Power Supply Antec 1200w HCP
Software Ubuntu 10.10
Benchmark Scores http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=1780855 http://www.hwbot.org/submission/2158678 http://ww
Well, they do mention persons with disabilities. That's something I guess. But again those people are not in the center of the study, because skin color and gender make bigger headlines.

As for that study, in my opinion. It's just a payed study that says absolutely nothing. The only reason of doing it, is to put a good face for Intel on the news. Nothing more. I mean, look at the findings. "Forty-seven percent of gamers don't play games they feel are not made for them." What the hell is this? This is so abstract it is stupid. So, If I feel that an NFL game is not for me and an American feels that a soccer game is not for them, are we both getting in that 47%? The second one? "One of the opportunities for hardware and software producers is catering more to people in lower socioeconomic categories who are excluded from premium-priced products.". Are people of "lower socioeconomic categories" asking for charity? Should companies start doing more giveaways for the "lower socioeconomic categories" (damn, even the wording feels racist) while increasing the average price of AAA games? Isn't this hypocrisy? As for the third one, hello captain Obvious! How was your day?

I think john underscores the problem, they are hypocrites and this is marketing with no substance.

System Name Poor Man's PC
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 7500F
Motherboard MSI B650M Mortar WiFi
Cooling ID Cooling SE 206 XT
Memory 32GB GSkill Flare X5 DDR5 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 6800 XT
Storage XPG Gammix S70 Blade 2TB + 8 TB WD Ultrastar DC HC320
Display(s) Mi Gaming Curved 3440x1440 144Hz
Case Cougar MG120-G
Audio Device(s) MPow Air Wireless + Mi Soundbar
Power Supply Enermax Revolution DF 650W Gold
Mouse Logitech MX Anywhere 3
Keyboard Logitech Pro X + Kailh box heavy pale blue switch + Durock stabilizers
VR HMD Meta Quest 2
Benchmark Scores Who need bench when everything already fast?
I think john underscores the problem, they are hypocrites and this is marketing with no substance.

Or you can called them "heroes of politically correct", might suit them well.

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5950X
Motherboard Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero WiFi
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420
Memory 32Gb G-Skill Trident Z Neo @3806MHz C14
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX2070
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 1TB
Display(s) Samsung G9 49" Curved Ultrawide
Case Cooler Master Cosmos
Audio Device(s) O2 USB Headphone AMP
Power Supply Corsair HX850i
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Cherry MX
Software Windows 11
Just read the Disney Woke manifesto PDF (Allyship for Race Consciousness - Reimagine Tomorrow)
Then you will fully understand the nature of the cancer that is spreading throughout the western world.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.