• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel Announces 11th Gen Core "Tiger Lake-H" Mobile Processors

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
Intel today announced the 11th generation Core "Tiger Lake-H" mobile processors for notebooks of conventional thickness, gaming notebooks, and mobile workstations. This is the first scale-up of the "Tiger Lake" microarchitecture, with the introduction of a brand new die that has up to 8 "Willow Cove" CPU cores. These processors typically come with TDP of 35-45 W, but the flagship part ships with TDP as high as 65 W. Unlike "Rocket Lake," this chip is built on Intel's latest 10 nm SuperFin silicon fabrication process. With it, Intel is announcing ten processor SKUs—five each for the consumer and commercial notebook market segments. These span across the Core i9, Core i7, and Core i5 brand extensions.

The 10 nm "Tiger Lake-H" silicon measures roughly 190 mm², and has several changes compared to the 4-core "Tiger Lake-U" silicon the company debuted the 11th Gen with. The biggest change is the CPU core count of 8. This lets it not only achieve parity with AMD in mobile CPU core counts, but also purportedly beat it on the back of a higher IPC. Each of these 8 "Willow Cove" cores has 1.25 MB of dedicated L2 cache, and share 24 MB of L3 cache. You get the same "Willow Cove" ISA as the "Tiger Lake-U," including AVX-512 and DLBoost. Next up, the chip features an integrated graphics based on the Gen12 Xe LP graphics architecture, only that the execution units have reduced to just 32 on this silicon, compared to 96 on the 4-core Tiger Lake-U. The new chip enjoys a bigger power budget to run the iGPU at higher clock speeds. There is also a 20-lane PCI-Express Gen 4.0 interface, and a dual-channel DDR4 memory controller.

From the five consumer SKUs, four are 8-core/16-thread, and two 6-core/12-thread. Leading the pack is the Core i9-11980HK, targeted exclusively at gaming notebooks. This chip ticks at 3.30 GHz (nominal), and can boost up to 5.00 GHz, with up to 1.45 GHz iGPU frequency. The chip is also unlocked, and has many of the same overclocking features as the desktop Core i9-11900K. Next up in the Core i9 series is the i9-11900H, with much lower 2.50 GHz nominal clocks, but up to 4.90 GHz boost, and the same 1.45 GHz iGPU clocks. The Core i9 parts feature Turbo Boost Max 3.0 boosting algorithm.

The Core i7 series are differentiated from the Core i9 with an apparent lack of Turbo Boost Max 3.0. These are still 8-core/16-thread chips with the full 24 MB of L3 cache. The Core i7-11800H is clocked at 2.30 GHz with 4.60 GHz max boost. Next up are the 6-core/12-thread Core i5 series, which surprisingly feature just 12 MB of L3 cache (and not the expected 18 MB, going by the 3 MB/core convention for Tiger Lake). The Core i5-11400H is clocked at 2.70 GHz, with up to 4.50 GHz boost, while the i5-11260H does 2.60 GHz with up to 4.40 GHz boost. Both these feature lower 1.40 GHz max iGPU clocks. It's interesting to note here, that Intel isn't branding the Xe LP iGPU under the Iris Xe series, but rather the UHD 750 series.

The commercial SKUs are available only in notebooks that are sold in bulk to large corporations. These include the Core i9-11950H, the i7-11850H, and the i5-11500H, which each feature about 100-200 MHz higher clocks than the i9-11900H, i7-11800H, and the i5-11400H, respectively. There's also the addition of the Xeon W-11955M and the Xeon W-11855M, which feature ECC memory support. All these commercial SKUs feature Intel vPro, Trusted Execution technology, and SIPP. The commercial chips also feature Intel CET (control-flow enforcement technology), which thwarts a class of side-channel attacks; and the Threat Detection Technology (silicon-based AI threat detection).

As for performance, Intel claims to have comprehensively beaten the previous-generation Core i9-10980HK "Comet Lake-H," as well as the AMD Ryzen 5900HX "Zen 3" processor, claiming significant gaming performance gains, as well as CPU performance gains in the near double-digits, based the higher IPC of "Willow Cove," combined with core-count parity, and a lavish power budget to go with the 10 nm SuperFin process.

The platform and I/O has a handful improvements. You get PCI-Express 4.0 x16 graphics, and a CPU-attached PCI-Express 4.0 x4 for an M.2 NVMe slot. The x16 slot can be further segmented into x8/x4/x4 or even x12/x4, so additional CPU-attached M.2 slots can be created for NVMe RAID, or for CPU-attached Thunderbolt 4 controllers. DDR4-3200 is natively supported, although notebook vendors have the freedom to push memory frequencies higher. The chipset bus has been fattened, and is DMI 3.0 x8 (physically PCI-Express 3.0 x8). The 24 lanes put out by the chipset are Gen 3. Besides Thunderbolt 4 (40 Gbps), the I/O includes MIPI SoundWire audio, Optane H20, Wi-Fi 6E (Gig+), and 2.5 GbE wired networking.

The complete slide deck follows.

The press-release follows.
Intel delivers industry-leading mobile performance with 11th Gen Intel Core mobile H-series and Intel Xeon W-11000 series
The new 11th Generation Intel Core H-series mobile processors (code-named "Tiger Lake-H") launched worldwide today, led by the flagship Intel Core i9-11980HK—the "World's Best Gaming Laptop Processor."1 The Intel Core i9-11980HK delivers the highest-performance in laptops for gaming, content creators and business professionals reaching speeds of up to 5.0 gigahertz (GHz).

"11th Gen Intel Core H-series processors take mobile gaming, content creation and commercial workstation systems to new heights. These new H-series processors are an exciting extension of our 11th Gen mobile family with double-digit single core and multi-core performance improvements, leading gameplay, direct attached storage and 20 PCIe 4.0 lanes for true enthusiast-level platform bandwidth. 11th Gen H-series is the industry's most performant mobile processor that empowers users to game, create and connect with leadership performance at any enthusiast form factor."—Chris Walker, Intel corporate vice president and general manager of the Mobile Client Platforms Group.

With new 11th Gen Intel Core H-series processors, Intel leverages deep expertise in advanced processor design and PC gaming to bring the world's best gaming laptop processors to gamers around the globe.

Extending the performance momentum established by the 11th Gen Intel Core H35 series, the 11th Gen Intel H-series processors, based on 10 nanometer SuperFin process technology, feature up to 8 cores and 16 threads, with single and dual-core turbo performance up to 5.0 GHz. Additionally, the central processing unit (CPU) can directly access high-speed GDDR6 memory attached to the graphics card, enabling gamers to experience higher framerates with lower latency, and load large textures faster. The mobile processor offers 2.5 times the total PCIe bandwidth to the CPU compared with the 10th Gen H-series processors, and three times the total PCIe bandwidth compared with other industry processors.

11th Gen Intel Core H-series mobile processors empower creators and business professionals to execute tasks faster, from anywhere, thanks to best-in-class components and connectivity 3. With 20 lanes of PCIe Gen 4—a first for any laptop—the processor offers 4K HDR/Dolby Vision video streaming, rich configurations with fast storage, hybrid Intel Optane for high performance and capacity, 6GHz Intel Killer Wi-Fi 6E (Gig+) support, and Thunderbolt 4 with up to 40 gigabytes (GBs) per second for faster connections.

New platform features also include:
  • 20 PCIe Gen 4.0 lanes with Intel Rapid Storage Technology bootable in Raid 0—and up to 44 total PCIe lanes that include 24 PCIe Gen 3.0 lanes from a dedicated platform controller hub.
  • Memory support up to DDR4-3200.
  • Thunderbolt 4 with transfer speeds up to 40 Gbps.
  • Discrete Intel Killer Wi-Fi 6E (Gig+).
  • Dual Embedded DisplayPort integrated for power optimized companion display.
Today's launch also introduces new Intel vPro H-series processors — led by the eight-core and 16-thread Intel Core i9-11950H—and Intel Xeon W-11000 series mobile processors. Built on the 11th Gen Intel vPro platform, the unrivaled business-class PC platform delivers comprehensive hardware-based security and breakthrough performance, as well as powerful computing experiences for professional users such as engineers, data scientists, content creators and financial analysts who need to tackle multi-threaded, performance intensive applications at their desk, or on the go. The new 11th Gen Intel Core vPro H-series processors and Xeon W-11000 series mobile processors unveiled today and, when combined with the new Intel Core vPro platform, offer:
  • Xeon + Error Correcting Code (ECC) memory.
  • Intel Hardware Shield—available exclusively on the Intel vPro platform, as delivered by 11th Gen Intel Core vPro mobile processors, provides the world's most comprehensive hardware-based security for business, and the industry's first and only silicon-enabled artificial intelligence threat detection to help stop ransomware and cryptomining attacks for Windows-based systems. It is also equipped with Intel Control-flow Enforcement Technology, a ground-breaking technology to help shut down an entire class of attacks that long evaded software-only solutions.
  • Intel Total Memory Encryption.
  • Intel Active Management Technology.
  • Intel Deep Learning Boost.
11th Gen Intel Core Mobile H-series and Intel Xeon W-11000 series processors will power more than 80 enthusiast laptop designs across consumer, commercial and workstation segments this year. With more than one million 11th Gen H-series processors shipped to Intel partners worldwide by launch, whether it's for high-refresh gaming, robust content creation or mobile workstations, no one offers people more choices and availability when it comes to mobile computing.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name Cyberline
Processor Intel Core i7 2600k -> 12600k
Motherboard Asus P8P67 LE Rev 3.0 -> Gigabyte Z690 Auros Elite DDR4
Cooling Tuniq Tower 120 -> Custom Watercoolingloop
Memory Corsair (4x2) 8gb 1600mhz -> Crucial (8x2) 16gb 3600mhz
Video Card(s) AMD RX480 -> RX7800XT
Storage Samsung 750 Evo 250gb SSD + WD 1tb x 2 + WD 2tb -> 2tb MVMe SSD
Display(s) Philips 32inch LPF5605H (television) -> Dell S3220DGF
Case antec 600 -> Thermaltake Tenor HTCP case
Audio Device(s) Focusrite 2i4 (USB)
Power Supply Seasonic 620watt 80+ Platinum
Mouse Elecom EX-G
Keyboard Rapoo V700
Software Windows 10 Pro 64bit
so they claim the 10980HK is faster then the 5900HX and yet I cant find any other benchmark online that confirms this.....Intel...are you just lying to us?

so they claim the 10980HK is faster then the 5900HX and yet I cant find any other benchmark online that confirms this.....Intel...are you just lying to us?
Look for a fine print, they cannot lie. But bend the light by selecting specific variables where they excel. I mean everyone does it nothing new.

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
I'll worry about that when I can buy either CPU. Without selling a kidney :p

HansRapad

Platform wise it’s superior than ryzen laptop

better IO overall, PCIe 4.0 8x on mean 3.0 x16 in term of bandwidth while Ryzen laptop still stuck at 3.0

thunderbolt also nice for content creator laptop

Before we get too excited, its always prudent to wait for independent review results. I am expecting Tiger Lake H to be more competitive than whatever they have at this point in time, but I am also sure that the results are likely to be badly skewed in favor of their own products as shown so many times historically. I feel the more they do this sorts of misleading marketing, the more they are losing credibility amongst people who are tech savvy.

:cool:

System Name micropage7
Processor Intel Xeon X3470
Motherboard Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. P55A-UD3R (Socket 1156)
Cooling Enermax ETS-T40F
Memory Samsung 8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3
Video Card(s) NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800
Storage V-GEN03AS18EU120GB, Seagate 2 x 1TB and Seagate 4TB
Display(s) Samsung 21 inch LCD Wide Screen
Case Icute Super 18
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte
Power Supply Silverstone 600 Watt
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Sades Excalibur + Taihao keycaps
Software Win 7 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Classified
although intel win at this part in real world it's hard to see the difference. it's not racing when your car is 20mph faster than the opponents and you see the difference in straight

bug

Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Case Raijintek Thetis
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
although intel win at this part in real world it's hard to see the difference. it's not racing when your car is 20mph faster than the opponents and you see the difference in straight
It's hard to call that a win. You would get a 3-4% variance if you tested two identical 5900HS laptops.
That's a tie, but it's ok. The performance level is already incredible. You'll be basing your buying decision on connectivity and battery life when picking between these two. And, of course, availability.

It's hard to call that a win. You would get a 3-4% variance if you tested two identical 5900HS laptops.
That's a tie, but it's ok. The performance level is already incredible. You'll be basing your buying decision on connectivity and battery life when picking between these two. And, of course, availability.
From other reviews I've seen on the net these new Intel cpu's are aimed towards gamers .. as in gaming laptops so I doubt battery life will be an issue seeing how anyone who chooses to game running off the battery needs to get a clue. Gaming laptops are nothing more than portable desktops .. as in 'plugged into the wall'.

bug

Case Raijintek Thetis
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
From other reviews I've seen on the net these new Intel cpu's are aimed towards gamers .. as in gaming laptops so I doubt battery life will be an issue seeing how anyone who chooses to game running off the battery needs to get a clue. Gaming laptops are nothing more than portable desktops .. as in 'plugged into the wall'.
Yeah, gamers don't expect much in the way of battery life. But these aren't strictly for gaming laptops. I'm a software developer and my employer is killing me with their low-power U-series CPUs. I would really, really, really love one of those higher power SKUs. And I'd prefer decent battery life, since I'm not compiling stuff 24/7.