• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Cadence Announces New Low-Power IP for PCI Express 5.0 Specification on TSMC N5 Process

AleksandarK

News Editor
Staff member
Cadence Design Systems, Inc. (Nasdaq: CDNS) today announced immediate availability of Cadence IP supporting the PCI Express (PCIe ) 5.0 specification on TSMC N5 process technology. The next follow-on version on TSMC N3 process technology is expected to be taped out in early 2022. Collaboration with major customers is ongoing for N5 SoC designs targeting hyperscale computing and networking applications. The Cadence IP for PCIe 5.0 technology consists of a PHY, companion controller and Verification IP (VIP) targeted at SoC designs for very high-bandwidth hyperscale computing, networking and storage applications. With Cadence's PHY and Controller Subsystem for PCIe 5.0 architecture, customers can design extremely power-efficient SoCs with accelerated time to market.

The Cadence IP for PCIe 5.0 architecture offers a highly power-efficient implementation of the standard, with several evaluations from leading customers indicating it provides industry best-in-class power at the maximum data transfer rate of 32GT/s and worst-case insertion loss. Leveraging Cadence's existing N7/N6 silicon validated offering, the N5 design provides a full 512GT/s (gigatransfers per second) power-optimized solution across the full range of operating conditions with a single clock lane.

In conjunction with Cadence's low-latency Controller IP for Compute Express Link (CXL ), the Cadence PHY IP for PCIe 5.0 technology enables a new class of applications for cache-coherent interconnects for processors, workload accelerators and memory expanders, as well as support for a wide range of Ethernet protocols. This provides flexible use cases for systems that need to leverage the same IP for the networking class of applications. Cadence is at the forefront of PCIe 5.0 subsystem interoperability testing, working with all major PCIe test equipment vendors for protocol and electrical compliance.

"We are pleased to see Cadence expanding its IP family to support the PCIe 5.0 protocol on TSMC's advanced processes," said Suk Lee, vice president of the Design Infrastructure Management Division at TSMC. "Our close collaboration with Cadence will help our mutual customers meet the stringent power and performance requirements and accelerate silicon innovation with leading-edge design solutions benefiting from TSMC's advanced technologies."

"Increasingly, our customers are demanding not just point IP, but total solutions that provide an edge by shortening development timeline and accelerating end-product deployment. The addition of the ultra-low power PCIe 5.0 solution to our portfolio of high-performance IP on the TSMC N7/N6, N5 and N3 technologies fulfills this need," said Sanjive Agarwala, corporate vice president and general manager of the IP Group at Cadence. "Our close collaboration with TSMC ensures that we can continue to develop advanced IP on TSMC's most advanced processes. We've been a key provider of leading-edge PHY IP for more than 10 years and have one of the most experienced PHY design teams in the industry. Developing a solution with such low power for PCIe 5.0 architecture is a testament to the innovation our engineering teams can bring to bear to support our high-performance customer base."

"Cadence's PHY and controller test chips for PCIe 5.0 showed robust performance in compliance tests on our Xgig exerciser and analyzer platform," said Tom Fawcett, vice president and general manager, Lab & Production Business Unit, VIAVI Solutions. "Collaboration with industry leaders and visionaries like Cadence is the key to building ecosystem confidence in—and rapid adoption of—the new protocol."

"As a long-standing PCI-SIG member, Cadence has played a role in promoting the adoption of PCIe technology," said Al Yanes, president and chairman of PCI-SIG. "With its continued investment and innovation in PCIe IP, Cadence is one of the member companies enabling the latest standards to be available for widespread deployment."

The Cadence IP for PCIe 5.0 architecture supports the company's Intelligent System Design strategy, which enables advanced-node SoC design excellence. Cadence's comprehensive portfolio of design IP solutions in the TSMC advanced processes also includes 112G, 56G, die-to-die (D2D) and advanced memory IP solutions. For more information on the Cadence IP for PCIe 5.0 technology, please visit www.cadence.com/go/pcie5pr.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name Work in progress
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard Asus PRIME B350M-A
Cooling Wraith Stealth Cooler, 4x140mm Noctua NF-A14 FLX 1200RPM Case Fans
Memory Corsair 16GB (2x8GB) CMK16GX4M2A2400C14R DDR4 2400MHz Vengeance LPX DIMM
Video Card(s) GTX 1050 2GB (for now) 3060 12GB on order
Storage Samsung 860 EVO 500GB, Lots of HDD storage
Display(s) 32 inch 4K LG, 55 & 48 inch LG OLED, 40 inch Panasonic LED LCD
Case Cooler Master Silencio S400
Audio Device(s) Sound: LG Monitor Built-in speakers (currently), Mike: Marantz MaZ
Power Supply Corsair CS550M 550W ATX Power Supply, 80+ Gold Certified, Semi-Modular Design
Mouse Logitech M280
Keyboard Logitech Wireless Solar Keyboard K750R (works best in summer)
VR HMD none
Software Microsoft Windows 10 Home 64bit OEM, Captur 1 21
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R20: 3508 (WIP)
As someone who can remember the 1970s when the school computer (DEC PDP-11) would sit for minutes processing my program, input on punch cards (pencil), I find the trend referred to in the article really worrying. Automation, artificial intelligence, and technology, in general, are proceeding at such an exponential pace the future looks bright for the few and grim for the many. As I attempt to type this comment the App which can spell and sense grammatical errors is both a source of wonder and concern. Humans are at risk of making themselves redundant. Will the Trillionaire barons be able to keep Ai under control, or will they rely on self-driving/flying vehicles? I am fairly sure the young technocrats on this site will troll this comment to death. Those formerly employed in banking, finance, manufacturing, etc might have some understanding of how automation replaces human jobs. Even China, India, and the Third World are not immune to this trend. Both humans and computers are vulnerable to viruses but COVID-19 is a game-changer. Computers don't need to work from home and don't have children or pets seeking their attention. Only self-interest prevents Ai from writing a more chilling narrative of the dystopian future our children and grandchildren inherit. The Terminator movie series is an exercise in sugar-coating or rose-colored glasses. Humans would lose.

Processor AMD Ryzen 3800X / AMD 8350
Motherboard ASRock X570 Phantom Gaming X / Gigabyte 990FXA-UD5 Revision 3.0
Cooling Stock / Corsair H100
Memory 32GB / 24GB
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 6800 / AMD Radeon 290X (Toggling until 6950XT)
Storage C:\ 1TB SSD, D:\ RAID-1 1TB SSD, 2x4TB-RAID-1
Display(s) Samsung U32E850R
Case be quiet! Dark Base Pro 900 Black rev. 2 / Fractal Design
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 1300G2 / EVGA Supernova 850G+
Mouse Logitech M-U0007
Keyboard Logitech G110 / Logitech G110
I wonder how long they'll be able to double bandwidth, most especially on a three year cycle because there are going to be limits eventually however I think they've done a good job overall with compatibility (from my limited perspective, I haven't had to mix a PCI-Express 1.0 and 4.0 device/bus so I can't say).

As someone who can remember the 1970s when the school computer (DEC PDP-11) would sit for minutes processing my program, input on punch cards (pencil), I find the trend referred to in the article really worrying. Automation, artificial intelligence, and technology, in general, are proceeding at such an exponential pace the future looks bright for the few and grim for the many. As I attempt to type this comment the App which can spell and sense grammatical errors is both a source of wonder and concern. Humans are at risk of making themselves redundant. Will the Trillionaire barons be able to keep Ai under control, or will they rely on self-driving/flying vehicles? I am fairly sure the young technocrats on this site will troll this comment to death. Those formerly employed in banking, finance, manufacturing, etc might have some understanding of how automation replaces human jobs. Even China, India, and the Third World are not immune to this trend. Both humans and computers are vulnerable to viruses but COVID-19 is a game-changer. Computers don't need to work from home and don't have children or pets seeking their attention. Only self-interest prevents Ai from writing a more chilling narrative of the dystopian future our children and grandchildren inherit. The Terminator movie series is an exercise in sugar-coating or rose-colored glasses. Humans would lose.

AI or it's early iterations are the products of those who create them and it ultimately comes down to the individual and a plethora of circumstances. In regards to trolls, yeah, the powers that be have been very effective at reducing overall intelligence of people, you don't have to spend too much time reading comments on news articles though I am happy to be able to say that not everyone has the limited capacity of a frustrated 14 year old.

System Name Dumbass
Processor AMD Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF gaming B650
Cooling Artic Liquid Freezer 2 - 420mm
Memory G.Skill Sniper 32gb DDR5 6000
Video Card(s) GreenTeam 4070 ti super 16gb
Storage Samsung EVO 500gb & 1Tb, 2tb HDD, 500gb WD Black
Display(s) 1x Nixeus NX_EDG27, 2x Dell S2440L (16:9)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/8 140mm SP Fans
Audio Device(s) onboard (realtek?) - SPKRS:Logitech Z623 200w 2.1
Power Supply Corsair HX1000i
Mouse Steeseries Esports Wireless
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
Benchmark Scores https://i.imgur.com/aoz3vWY.jpg?2
Great Tinhat comment, some of us can agree that Skynet will still happen sooner or later. It really does depend on human input.