• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel Core i5-11400 Runs Without a Cooler Under Thermal Camera

Processor i5-6600K
Motherboard Asus Z170A
Cooling some cheap Cooler Master Hyper 103 or similar
Memory 16GB DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) IGP
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250GB
Display(s) 2x Oldell 24" 1920x1200
Case Bitfenix Nova white windowless non-mesh
Audio Device(s) E-mu 1212m PCI
Power Supply Seasonic G-360
Mouse Logitech Marble trackball, never had a mouse
Keyboard Key Tronic KT2000, no Win key because 1994
Software Oldwin
For some time I thought that all of the cores in a multi threaded CPU were accessible at the same time.

After being a PC Pro for 15yrs it was studying data science when I really gained a good understanding of how a CPU works and how the multiple cores are accessed.

This is what gives GPU's the advantage with certain tasks as the same instructions can be run in parallel (as we all know), where as a CPU only accesses one core at a time... all be it very quickly.

It still has to use the cores individually. It was fascinating seeing each of the cores being used and the speed each core was accessed after the one before. Brilliant video!!!
Hmm ... how do you mean that?

Your 5950X is able to run up to 16 independent threads of program code at the same time, or up to 32 with lower performance.

What Fritz did was starting Prime95, then telling Windows to allow it to run only on a specific core. The default is all six cores - however, a process with less than six threads could never use all of them in parallel.