• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel CEO Predicts Chip Shortages Across the Ecosystem to Run Another Couple of Years

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
Intel CEO Pat Gelsinger, speaking at the company's 2021 Computex Opening Keynote address stated that the explosive demand for chips caused by recent inflections of technology, accelerated by the COVID-19 pandemic, has resulted in demand outstripping supply by such extent, that it could "still take a couple of years for the ecosystem to address the shortages."

Gelsinger detailed how the world of information technology is at its biggest crossroads ever, with the emergence of Cloud, 5G, AI, and smarter edge computing changing the way people work, learn, and interact. This has caused a huge growth in the demand for semiconductors straining technology supply chains around the world. Gelsinger stated that his company is working with partners across the technology ecosystem to increase output to meet demand. He detailed how Intel has nearly doubled its own chip wafer manufacturing capacity over the past four years. "But while the industry has taken steps to address near-term constraints, it could still take a couple of years for the ecosystem to address chip shortages of foundry capacity, substrate, and components.

Gelsinger called for the entire semiconductor industry to "rise to the occasion, and ensure that no individual bottlenecks limit growth for the industry; whether it's Wi-Fi modules, substrates, panels, or any other critical component." He warned that lack of supply "constraints" the growth we need to refuel the world economy. Intel, Gelsinger stated, is driving a collaborative approach to help up and down the supply chain, not just with Intel's own suppliers, but also their upstream suppliers. He cited the example of Intel working with suppliers at every level to ramp up production of substrate for chips at the company's Vietnam facility, resulting in improvement of supply by "millions of units" by 2021. He then went on to refresh the company's Integrated Device Manufacturing (IDM) 2.0 strategy, where the company micromanages every link in the supply chain, to respond to the dynamic market.

Gelsinger's comments are extremely telling, even if it's worded to be generalized (not specific to Intel). It means that along with most of the industry, Intel is running behind the demand-supply curve, and expects at least "a couple of years" to restore normalcy in supply. As a semiconductor giant, and America's largest chip manufacturer, Intel CEO's analysis is expected to carry weight, as the company likely has the some of the best competitive analysts and market researchers to go with their supplier program.

Demand is only one half of the problem, the other is the COVID-19 pandemic itself, which has hit supply chains around the world. The semiconductor industry isn't immune, with Taiwan's TSMC recently reporting COVID-19 cases among its workforce, as the island braves a brutal spike in COVID-19 infection rates, crippling the country's public-health infrastructure. TSMC is careful not to scare its enviable clientele that includes Apple, Qualcomm, and AMD; but the infection rates of Taiwan are expected to eventually catch up with TSMC, despite its best efforts to detect and isolate infected employees.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Processor Intel i9 9900K @5Ghz 1.32vlts
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro Wi-Fi
Cooling BeQuiet Dark Rock 4
Memory 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR4 3200Mhz (16-18-18-36)
Video Card(s) Nvidia RTX 3080 Founders Edition
Storage 512GB Gigabyte Aorus NVMe (Boot) 1TB Crucial NVMe (Games)
Display(s) LG UK850 27in 4K Freesync/G-Sync/HDR 600
Case Fractal Design Meshify C Windowed (Dark Tint)
Audio Device(s) Corsair HS70 Special Edition Wireless Headphones & 7.1 Sound
Power Supply Corsair RMx 850w Gold
Mouse HyperX Pulsefire Surge RGB
Keyboard HyperX Alloy Elite Mechanical RGB (Cherry Red)
Software Windows 10 Home
It will be fascinating to see how this current situation is viewed and written about, in say 5-10yrs time, with the benefit of hindsight...Unless of course Covid mutates into the Zombie Apocalypse virus, then we'll all have much more serious matters to be dealing with... :)

It will be fascinating to see how this current situation is viewed and written about, in say 5-10yrs time, with the benefit of hindsight...Unless of course Covid mutates into the Zombie Apocalypse virus, then we'll all have much more serious matters to be dealing with... :)
I prefer zombie apocalypse virus, at least zombie virus will be wiped out extremely quickly in real world, and probably have less death attributed to it.

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
Motherboard EVGA z690 Dark KINGPIN (modded BIOS)
Cooling EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB
Memory 64GB Gskill Trident Z5 DDR5 6000 @6400
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 500GB 980 Pro | 1x 1TB 980 Pro | 1x 8TB Corsair MP400
Display(s) Odyssey OLED G9 G95SC
Case Lian Li o11 Evo Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on Schiit Hel 2e
Power Supply Bequiet! Power Pro 12 1500w
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.
I can't imagine people still didn't know or didn't expect this already.

Processor i7 7700k
Motherboard MSI Z270 SLI Plus
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB and WD Black 4TB
Display(s) Dell 27 inch 1440p 144 Hz
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 850 W Gold
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10
A few years before anything approaching what used to be normal is what I've been thinking for quite a while now. Fabs are being built to address the shortages but they take years to build and go online. If Covid-19 can be dealt with successfully then transportation will be much better and people can go back to work as normal.

Processor i5 3570K @ 5GHz (1.32V) - de-lid
Motherboard ASRock Z77 Extrem 4
Cooling Prolimatech Genesis (3x Thermalright TY-141 PWM) - direct die
Memory 2x 4GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR3 1600 MHz CL 9
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 980 Gaming 4G (Alpenföhn Peter + 2x Noctua NF-A12) @1547 Mhz Core / 2000 MHz Mem
Storage 500GB Crucial MX500 / 4 TB Seagate - BarraCuda
Case IT-9001 Smasher -modified with a 140mm top exhaust
Audio Device(s) AKG K240 Studio
Power Supply be quiet! E9 Straight Power 600W
A few years before anything approaching what used to be normal is what I've been thinking for quite a while now. Fabs are being built to address the shortages but they take years to build and go online. If Covid-19 can be dealt with successfully then transportation will be much better and people can go back to work as normal.
Also, none of the big chip manufactures has much incentive to hurry back to a completive market anytime soon. Everything gets sold right out the door, they are making record profits across the board. :(

System Name Desktop-TJ84TBK
Processor Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix B350-F Gaming
Cooling ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 120mm, Noctua NF-F12
Memory B-Die 2x8GB 3200 CL14, Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200 CL16, OC'd to 3333 MT/s C16-16-16-32 tRC 48
Video Card(s) PNY GTX 690
Storage Crucial MX500 1TB, MX500 500GB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Black 2TB, WD Caviar Green 3TB, Intel Optane 16GB
Display(s) Sceptre M25 1080p200, ASUS 1080p74, Apple Studio Display M7649 17"
Case Rosewill CRUISER Black Gaming
Audio Device(s) SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Seasonic FOCUS GM-750
Mouse Kensington K72369
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow Ultimate 2013
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit, macOS 11.7.8
Benchmark Scores are good
I didn't come up with this, but:
Hot take: The chip shortage was partly planned.

I've seen numerous people say that TSMC anticipated that they'd need to expand capacity. Only makes sense, as more and more things have chips in them. Yet, they waited until the last minute to start building new fabs. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that electronics are in more and more every day things, and that we will need more chips.

It wouldn't surprise me if they waited until there would be a large increase in demand they couldn't fulfill, they raise the prices on their chips, and use the additional profit to offset the cost of building out new fab space.
Credit to dizmo on the LTT forums.

Any thoughts? To me, seems plausible (and like something I'd do).

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64

Taiwan is suffering a decidedly unplanned drought that is affecting silicon production in a massive way.

Even if they did do the above, that's not the issue here.

System Name Main PC
Processor 13700k
Motherboard Asrock Z690 Steel Legend D4 - Bios 13.02
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S
Memory 32 Gig 3200CL14
Video Card(s) 3080 RTX FE 10G
Storage 1TB 980 PRO (OS, games), 2TB SN850X (games), 2TB DC P4600 (work), 2x 3TB WD Red, 2x 4TB WD Red
Display(s) LG 27GL850
Case Fractal Define R4
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar D2X
Power Supply Antec HCG 750 Gold
Software Windows 10 21H2 LTSC

I would say its very likely, I remember posting this theory somewhere but got shot down, but we can see since the HDD flood event, manufacturers have learnt shortages can increase profits.

Also having worked in manufacturing I know first hand that manufacturers do not like building new factories, it is seen as high risk, instead there is a tendency to increase prices as capacity draws closer, and only then if that doesn't stem demand a decision to expand might be carried out.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
I mean the idea of not scaling to meet demand in advance isn't really conspiracy material... that's more a given.

System Name Lightbringer
Processor Ryzen 7 2700X
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X470-F Gaming
Cooling Enermax Liqmax Iii 360mm AIO
Memory G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32GB (8GBx4) 3200Mhz CL 14
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 5700XT Nitro+
Storage Hp EX950 2TB NVMe M.2, HP EX950 1TB NVMe M.2, Samsung 860 EVO 2TB
Display(s) LG 34BK95U-W 34" 5120 x 2160
Case Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic (White)
Power Supply BeQuiet Straight Power 11 850w Gold Rated PSU
Mouse Glorious Model O (Matte White)
Keyboard Royal Kludge RK71
Software Windows 10
I'll be interested to read the any peer-reviewed papers in a few years that can outline the cause of the shortage in detail.... People staying home from thr pandemic and buying new gaming and home office PCs really couldn't have done this much, could they?

System Name Personal / HTPC
Processor Ryzen 5900x / i5-4460
Motherboard Asrock x570 Phantom Gaming 4 /ASRock Z87 Extreme4
Cooling Corsair H100i / stock HSF
Memory 32GB DDR4 3200 / 8GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) EVGA XC3 Ultra RTX 3080Ti / EVGA RTX 3060 XC
Storage 500GB Pro 970, 250 GB SSD, 1TB & 500GB Western Digital / 2x 4TB & 1x 8TB WD Red, 2TB SSD & 4TB SSD
Display(s) Dell - S3220DGF 32" LED Curved QHD FreeSync Monitor / 50" LCD TV
Case CoolerMaster HAF XB Evo / CM HAF XB Evo
Audio Device(s) Logitech G35 headset
Power Supply 850W SeaSonic X Series / 750W SeaSonic X Series
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Black Microsoft Natural Elite Keyboard
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 / Windows 10 Pro 64
I'll be interested to read the any peer-reviewed papers in a few years that can outline the cause of the shortage in detail.... People staying home from thr pandemic and buying new gaming and home office PCs really couldn't have done this much, could they?

The governments caused this.
  1. Force closing of most production due to lock downs.
  2. Production slows to a crawl or outright stops for a period of time.
  3. With production down to almost nothing and folks still buying, there is nothing to replenish inventories after the stocked surplus is used.
  4. Now you mix in stupid shit such as asshats undercutting retailers and buying up large quantities of stock directly, then they shift to utilizing inventory for their personal needs (such as cryptomining, as an example) or they see inventory is low and demand is high, scalp products to turn a massive profit.
  5. Manufacturing starts back up, but it's not an instant flow of products. It takes time to get things going again. By now everything is 6 months+ behind and when inventory gets out the manufacturer's doors there are so many people wanting products that a lot of people resort to #4.
  6. Eventually some material does make it to retailers, but due to the demand a lot of people resort to #4
  7. A lot of normal day people never get a chance to buying something new and resort to buying from folks that resort to #4
  8. see #4
  9. see #4
  10. see #4

Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASRock X670E Taichi
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 Chromax
Memory 32GB DDR5 6000 CL30
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 4090 Trio
Storage Too much
Display(s) Acer Predator XB3 27" 240 Hz
Case Thermaltake Core X9
Audio Device(s) Topping DX5, DCA Aeon II
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Titanium 850w
Mouse G305
Keyboard Wooting HE60
VR HMD Valve Index
Software Win 10
The governments caused this.
  1. Force closing of most production due to lock downs.
  2. Production slows to a crawl or outright stops for a period of time.
  3. With production down to almost nothing and folks still buying, there is nothing to replenish inventories after the stocked surplus is used.
  4. Now you mix in stupid shit such as asshats undercutting retailers and buying up large quantities of stock directly, then they shift to utilizing inventory for their personal needs (such as cryptomining, as an example) or they see inventory is low and demand is high, scalp products to turn a massive profit.
  5. Manufacturing starts back up, but it's not an instant flow of products. It takes time to get things going again. By now everything is 6 months+ behind and when inventory gets out the manufacturer's doors there are so many people wanting products that a lot of people resort to #4.
  6. Eventually some material does make it to retailers, but due to the demand a lot of people resort to #4
  7. A lot of normal day people never get a chance to buying something new and resort to buying from folks that resort to #4
  8. see #4
  9. see #4
  10. see #4

Right, it makes a lot more sense to just let the pandemic kill the peasants on the line.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
The virus cured the flu so there's always that.
Social distancing is what killed the flu. And it will certainly be back the moment we stop.

People staying home from thr pandemic and buying new gaming and home office PCs really couldn't have done this much, could they?
Abso-frickin-utely.

Social distancing is what killed the flu. And it will certainly be back the moment we stop.

Abso-frickin-utely.
Social distancing killed the flu but not the virus?

Processor i5 3570K @ 5GHz (1.32V) - de-lid
Motherboard ASRock Z77 Extrem 4
Cooling Prolimatech Genesis (3x Thermalright TY-141 PWM) - direct die
Memory 2x 4GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR3 1600 MHz CL 9
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 980 Gaming 4G (Alpenföhn Peter + 2x Noctua NF-A12) @1547 Mhz Core / 2000 MHz Mem
Storage 500GB Crucial MX500 / 4 TB Seagate - BarraCuda
Case IT-9001 Smasher -modified with a 140mm top exhaust
Audio Device(s) AKG K240 Studio
Power Supply be quiet! E9 Straight Power 600W

Abso-frickin-utely.

Can we kindly please stop this narrative?

No, it was not just DIY and OEM demand for home entertainment and gaming.
Not just countless enterprises sourcing office PCs and workstations to get home office setups going.
Not just IT departments & companies looking to beef up their infrastructure or setting up whole new networks.
Not just crypto taking off again on GPUs and recently on storage hardware as well.
Not just manufacturers, distributors and retailers trying to abuse a stricken market for maximum profits.
Not just scalpers to discover pc hardware as a lucrative addition to their portfolio.
Not "just" a global pandemic reducing production output and disrupting large sectors of the economy, which rely on "on demand delivery" to not bock down in no time.

Given all the news of past months, it certainly looks like an amalgamation of all the above (and most likely some more) to create the mess we currently reside in.

System Name Personal / HTPC
Processor Ryzen 5900x / i5-4460
Motherboard Asrock x570 Phantom Gaming 4 /ASRock Z87 Extreme4
Cooling Corsair H100i / stock HSF
Memory 32GB DDR4 3200 / 8GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) EVGA XC3 Ultra RTX 3080Ti / EVGA RTX 3060 XC
Storage 500GB Pro 970, 250 GB SSD, 1TB & 500GB Western Digital / 2x 4TB & 1x 8TB WD Red, 2TB SSD & 4TB SSD
Display(s) Dell - S3220DGF 32" LED Curved QHD FreeSync Monitor / 50" LCD TV
Case CoolerMaster HAF XB Evo / CM HAF XB Evo
Audio Device(s) Logitech G35 headset
Power Supply 850W SeaSonic X Series / 750W SeaSonic X Series
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Black Microsoft Natural Elite Keyboard
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 / Windows 10 Pro 64
Right, it makes a lot more sense to just let the pandemic kill the peasants on the line.
Regardless of what you think and what is going on, it was the governments that caused it.

You could say the pandemic was a result of the governments' actions, but it was the governments that utterly caused the situation.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Social distancing killed the flu but not the virus.
"Killed" is generous but yes as the flu is far less infectious.

No, it was not just DIY and OEM demand for home entertainment and gaming.
I never said it was "just."

But that alone was enough. You stop global production, you increase demand, stuff runs out.