• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

NVM Express Announces NVMe 2.0 Specification

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
NVM Express, Inc. today announced the release of the NVM Express (NVMe ) 2.0 family of specifications. The restructured NVMe 2.0 specifications allow for faster and simpler development of NVMe solutions to support the increasingly diverse NVMe device environment, now including Hard Disk Drives (HDDs). The extensibility of the specifications encourages the development of independent command sets like Zoned Namespaces (ZNS) and Key Value (KV) while enabling support for the various underlying transport protocols common to NVMe and NVMe over Fabrics (NVMe-oF ) technologies.

"NVMe technology is the leading interface for SSDs, with overall worldwide enterprise SSD capacity expected to grow at a 43% compound annual growth rate into 2024," said Jeff Janukowicz, research vice president, IDC. "NVMe architecture is designed for future SSD development and form factors, as we enter a new era in hyperscale and enterprise computing that drives digital transformation."

"We have rearchitected the NVMe 2.0 library of specifications to meet the evolving demands of the future of storage," said Amber Huffman, NVM Express president. "NVMe technology has unified client, cloud and enterprise storage around a common command set and architecture. Our Technical Work Group has worked diligently to optimize the features of the NVMe 2.0 specifications for diverse market segments, allowing for emerging use cases and opening new NVMe device types."

NVMe 2.0 Specifications: New Layout Will Propel Industry Development and Momentum

The NVMe 2.0 library of specifications consist of multiple documents, including the NVMe Base specification, Command Set specifications (NVM Command Set specification, ZNS Command Set specification, KV Command Set specification), Transport specifications (PCIe Transport specification, Fibre Channel Transport specification, RDMA Transport specification and TCP Transport specification) and the NVMe Management Interface specification.

The new specifications will facilitate the emerging NVMe device ecosystem, including enterprise and client solid state drives (SSDs), removable cards, compute accelerators and HDDs.

Key NVMe 2.0 Features:
  • The ZNS specification provides a zoned storage device interface that allows the SSD and host to collaborate on data placement. ZNS permits data to be aligned to the physical media of the SSD, improving overall device performance and cost while increasing the media capacity that can be made available to the host.
  • The KV Command Set provides access to data on an NVMe SSD controller using a key rather than a block address. KV allows applications to directly communicate with the drive using key-value pairs, avoiding the overhead of translation tables between keys and logical blocks.
  • Namespace Types provides a mechanism to allow an NVMe SSD controller to support the different command sets that are defined as part of the NVMe 2.0 release as well as a path for future command sets.
  • NVMe Endurance Group Management enables media to be configured into Endurance Groups, exposing granularity of access to the SSD and improving control.
  • Rotational Media support enables support for HDD on NVMe technology with updates to features, management capabilities and other enhancements required for HDD support.
  • Multiple Controller Firmware Update defines behavior for firmware updates on complex systems with multiple controllers.
  • Shutdown enhancements enable showdown control from enclosure management for simplified management of many drives at once.
  • Simple Copy Command copies data from one namespace in the drive, offloading the copy operations from multiple source LBAs to a single destination LBA.
  • 32/64 bit CRC expands the protection information and data protection to 32 and 64 bit allowing for new types of meta data use cases.
  • Command Group Control prevents unintended changes after a system is provisioned and protects the system from unintentional or malicious changes.
  • NVMe 2.0 specifications maintain backwards compatibility with previous NVMe generations.
View the NVMe 2.0 library of specifications on our website: https://nvmexpress.org/resources/specifications/.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
I used to think I was pretty well versed in the PC tech world, then I read this post.

Then I gave up reading this post.

:ohwell:
You're not alone.
There's so much I don't know, every day is a learning experience.

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
Oh yuck they added mechanical drive support, so now we're gunna get flooded with garbage "NVME" systems using spinning rust in reality

Oh yuck they added mechanical drive support, so now we're gunna get flooded with garbage "NVME" systems using spinning rust in reality

Mechnical based storage is still cheaper then SSD's.

However i do believe that the tech by now for consumers is getting outdated.

The reliability of good SSD's on it's own just beat the HDD's completely.

Oh yuck they added mechanical drive support,
I don't know about that, there's this beauty in the world spinning. Some kind of harmony that is hard to ignore, a word that just evades me :D
Trolling?

Better question is do existing drives get 2.0 via firmware update?
I doubt most manufacturers will bother. Perhaps Samsung and some others who make top 4.0 drives.

It's a spec, you can't update PCIe 3.0 to v4 can you? Unless the hardware's capable & ideally certified.
NVMe 2.0 specifications maintain backwards compatibility with previous NVMe generations.
If its a firmware change that does not require new hardware i dont see why not.

PCIe 4.0 is also backwards compatible with 3.0, I think you're confusing compatibility with what the hardware's actually capable of. All NVMe 2.0 drives would be backwards compatible with v1.4 the reverse is not true though, NVMe 1.4 drives may not be capable of v2 specific features.

Processor Intel® Core™ i7-13700K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory 32GB(2x16) DDR5@6600MHz G-Skill Trident Z5
Video Card(s) ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 3080 AMP Holo
Storage 2TB SK Platinum P41 SSD + 4TB SanDisk Ultra SSD + 500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD
Display(s) Acer Predator X34 3440x1440@100Hz G-Sync
Case NZXT PHANTOM410-BK
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium PCIe
Power Supply Corsair 850W
Mouse Logitech Hero G502 SE
Software Windows 11 Pro - 64bit
Benchmark Scores 30FPS in NFS:Rivals
Is there a simplified English translation for the new features?

Processor i5-6600K
Motherboard Asus Z170A
Cooling some cheap Cooler Master Hyper 103 or similar
Memory 16GB DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) IGP
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250GB
Display(s) 2x Oldell 24" 1920x1200
Case Bitfenix Nova white windowless non-mesh
Audio Device(s) E-mu 1212m PCI
Power Supply Seasonic G-360
Mouse Logitech Marble trackball, never had a mouse
Keyboard Key Tronic KT2000, no Win key because 1994
Software Oldwin
@btarunr
  • Shutdown enhancements enable showdown control from enclosure management for simplified management of many drives at once.
Probably a typo ... but what if it isn't?

I used to think I was pretty well versed in the PC tech world, then I read this post.

Then I gave up reading this post.

:ohwell:
Ah, so you're that guy who doesn't have a datacenter in his basement? Now we're two.
Indeed, the new features are of most interest to the server world, and this is Anandtech's conclusion, too. We'll see what comes of zoned storage, which may be useful on the client side, some day, too.

Better question is do existing drives get 2.0 via firmware update?
I doubt most manufacturers will bother.
How often do peripherals, of any kind, get many significant new features with firmware updates? There are third party projects like DD-WRT for routers and CHDK for Canon cameras, but what about official firmware?
Perhaps Samsung and some others who make top 4.0 drives.
Not drives that exist today but those that come to the market in the near future, like next 6-12 months, before manufacturers implement the new features. Samsung and others would be wise to make them upgradeable, and advertise them as such of course.

Last edited:
System Name The Little One
Processor i5-11320H @4.4GHZ
Motherboard AZW SEI
Cooling Fan w/heat pipes + side & rear vents
Memory 64GB Crucial DDR4-3200 (2x 32GB)
Video Card(s) Iris XE
Storage WD Black SN850X 4TB m.2, Seagate 2TB SSD + SN850 4TB x2 in an external enclosure
Display(s) 2x Samsung 43" & 2x 32"
Case Practically identical to a mac mini, just purrtier in slate blue, & with 3x usb ports on the front !
Audio Device(s) Yamaha ATS-1060 Bluetooth Soundbar & Subwoofer
Power Supply 65w brick
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2
Keyboard Logitech G613 mechanical wireless
Software Windows 10 pro 64 bit, with all the unnecessary background shitzu turned OFF !
Benchmark Scores PDQ
You're not alone.
There's so much I don't know, every day is a learning experience
You don't know what you don't know until you figure out that you didn't know what you thought you knew, hahahaha :)

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
The KV Command Set provides access to data on an NVMe SSD controller using a key rather than a block address. KV allows applications to directly communicate with the drive using key-value pairs, avoiding the overhead of translation tables between keys and logical blocks.
This is pretty cool, not going to lie. I can see this being pretty useful for databases where the translation between indexed values and their corresponding disk location could be costly.

I would expect something like this to have the equivalent of a SAS to SATA breakout cable if they're going to support rotational media drives.

@btarunrHow often do peripherals, of any kind, get many significant new features with firmware updates? There are third party projects like DD-WRT for routers and CHDK for Canon cameras, but what about official firmware?
Off the top of my head i can remember monitors with v2 G-Sync module gaining the ability to support AMD cards too. Tho v1 version never had this update.
Or older AM4 motherboards gaining new CPU support and even PCIe 4.0 on B450 althought this was shut down by AMD real quick. There are also some official (beta obviously) AsRock BIOS versions out there that support Ryzen 5000 on select X370 and B350 boards.
Or GPU's gaining ReBAR support via vBIOS update for example. Or older DX11 cards gaining DX12 support (tho this is a bit murky due to "levels" in DX support). Im sure there are other examples of this.

System Name Desktop-TJ84TBK
Processor Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix B350-F Gaming
Cooling ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 120mm, Noctua NF-F12
Memory B-Die 2x8GB 3200 CL14, Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200 CL16, OC'd to 3333 MT/s C16-16-16-32 tRC 48
Video Card(s) PNY GTX 690
Storage Crucial MX500 1TB, MX500 500GB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Black 2TB, WD Caviar Green 3TB, Intel Optane 16GB
Display(s) Sceptre M25 1080p200, ASUS 1080p74, Apple Studio Display M7649 17"
Case Rosewill CRUISER Black Gaming
Audio Device(s) SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Seasonic FOCUS GM-750
Mouse Kensington K72369
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow Ultimate 2013
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit, macOS 11.7.8
Benchmark Scores are good
I'm imagining NVMe HDDs looking like this:
nvme hdd yes done.png

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Software MacOS 12.1
I'm imagining NVMe HDDs looking like this:
The thing is that it's a complete waste of an NVMe slot since SATA 6G is plenty fast for hard drives, which makes me think that it's far more likely to be a breakout cable. Think about it, one PCIe lane is plenty for a rotational media drive. 4 lanes would translate to a breakout cable to 4 disks, just like a SAS to SATA breakout cable. I see absolutely no reason to get rid of SATA if it's one NVMe slot to one HDD. There is zero benefit to doing that. However, a breakout cable means you could ditch the SATA ports in favor or something with connectors that can support more than 1 device because you can save some motherboard space in the process. The primary issue is going to be the length of that cable because PCIe signals can't travel indefinitely without signal degradation, so it'll be interesting how it turns out.

Either way, I think it's time that SATA gets retired. I have a socket 478 Celeron machine in the attic with SATA 1.5G which goes to show how old SATA is.

Thats super old. My first board with SATA was s939 and that was SATA-II if im not mistaken.

Processor i5-6600K
Motherboard Asus Z170A
Cooling some cheap Cooler Master Hyper 103 or similar
Memory 16GB DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) IGP
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250GB
Display(s) 2x Oldell 24" 1920x1200
Case Bitfenix Nova white windowless non-mesh
Audio Device(s) E-mu 1212m PCI
Power Supply Seasonic G-360
Mouse Logitech Marble trackball, never had a mouse
Keyboard Key Tronic KT2000, no Win key because 1994
Software Oldwin
The thing is that it's a complete waste of an NVMe slot since SATA 6G is plenty fast for hard drives, which makes me think that it's far more likely to be a breakout cable. Think about it, one PCIe lane is plenty for a rotational media drive. 4 lanes would translate to a breakout cable to 4 disks, just like a SAS to SATA breakout cable. I see absolutely no reason to get rid of SATA if it's one NVMe slot to one HDD. There is zero benefit to doing that. However, a breakout cable means you could ditch the SATA ports in favor or something with connectors that can support more than 1 device because you can save some motherboard space in the process. The primary issue is going to be the length of that cable because PCIe signals can't travel indefinitely without signal degradation, so it'll be interesting how it turns out.

Either way, I think it's time that SATA gets retired. I have a socket 478 Celeron machine in the attic with SATA 1.5G which goes to show how old SATA is.
NVMe over SAS? Why not. NVMe had an extension (NVMe-oF) which had a purpose to make it usable over Ethernet or other networks, and that was long before version 2.0. Now, the support for rotational media further extends it to local interfaces other than PCI Express. NVMe is a set of protocols, some of them can replace parts of the SAS protocol stack (PDF, page 8) and iSCSI, some are intended for management, but SAS remains the physical layer.

NVMe over SATA? Nah, we're not talking about stuff for consumers here.

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.

I hope you're correct and that does make sense - they just want an NVME to sata adaptor, so they dont have to wire up SATA physically to the slots.

I just fear it'll result in prebuilts and laptops with NVME plastered all over them, and turn out to be mech only.

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Software MacOS 12.1
and turn out to be mech only.
Maybe for towers, but I think that's not realistic for laptops when battery life is a key selling point. Forget latency for doing... well, anything. Maybe for cheap pre built towers, but even that seems like a stretch when you're already investing in a controller that can speak PCIe/NVMe. I think most OEMs at this point would rather give you a small SSD than a HDD.

I hope this mean a near end to the SATA cables. And I really really hope they work more on the power cable for these drives, I mean it's awful how the power connector is much wider than the actual data cable!! Not to mention the main thing of having two cables in the first place.

I wish the next SATA replacement will have at least few watts of power, like <15-20W per drive. And seeing that the new move by the industry is for 12V, this can be done more easily for 2.5" drives as they have plenty of space for a small voltage regulator 12V to 5V & 3.3V. Allowing most consumer grade drives to work with a single cable. And an optional power cable for more powerful drives.

It should also have some sort of PCIe bifurcation, basically a storage controller will looks like a regular PCIe switch. You can't waste x4 lanes on a regular SATA drive even for cheap SATA SSD, a single PCIe 3.0 x1 lane is enough for this. I know next generation of Mechanical HDD's is going to be faster (like the new Seagate Multi-Actuators which reaches 500-600MB/s) which means PCIe 3.0 x1 will be saturated for it, but it won't be saturated except in sustained read performance.

A single cable from the motherboard can go to the drive cage in the case, driving 4 drives in the same time (or even more if that single cable was PCIe 4.0 or 5.0 x4 lanes). Either by splitting the cable, or better, having a drive backbone built in in the case (like standard NAS or external drive bays) allowing for neater looks, better air flow & better data & power management. This will be the perfect use case for storage drives (either SSD or HDD based ones).

System Name Shizuka
Processor Intel Core i5 10400F
Motherboard Gigabyte B460M Aorus Pro
Cooling Scythe Choten
Memory 2x8GB G.Skill Aegis 2666 MHz
Video Card(s) PowerColor Red Dragon V2 RX 580 8GB ~100 watts in Wattman
Storage 512GB WD Blue + 256GB WD Green + 4TH Toshiba X300
Display(s) BenQ BL2420PT
Case Cooler Master Silencio S400
Audio Device(s) Topping D10 + AIWA NSX-V70
Power Supply Chieftec A90 550W (GDP-550C)
Mouse Steel Series Rival 100
Keyboard Hama SL 570
Software Windows 10 Enterprise
Mechnical based storage is still cheaper then SSD's.

However i do believe that the tech by now for consumers is getting outdated.

The reliability of good SSD's on it's own just beat the HDD's completely.
Mechanical storage at this point is dead to consumers, unless all you store are videos or audio files. The main problem with them is that they are so slow that they are unusable. I tried CS:GO on spinning rust and I had to wait 3 or 4 minutes after match has already started to start playing it. I wouldn't want to know how long it takes for any modern AAA game to load on them. IT's just sucks that SSDs are still so expensive and due to that still can't be realistically used for big local storage of stuff.