• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Breaks 30% CPU Market Share in Steam Hardware Survey

D

Deleted member 197223

6900XT, with slower VRAM, lower power consumption, lower transistor count beats 3090 in the newest game.
And then this comment.

Mind blowing.
Are you talking about Radeon HD 6900 Series? Because there is no 6900/XT, 6800 nor 6700 (unless you're going down memory lane..?) found via https://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/videocard/ but the 3090 is there. I mean I know having an 6950 unlocked to a 6970 was cool, but that was some 10 years ago.

System Name Shizuka
Processor Intel Core i5 10400F
Motherboard Gigabyte B460M Aorus Pro
Cooling Scythe Choten
Memory 2x8GB G.Skill Aegis 2666 MHz
Video Card(s) PowerColor Red Dragon V2 RX 580 8GB ~100 watts in Wattman
Storage 512GB WD Blue + 256GB WD Green + 4TH Toshiba X300
Display(s) BenQ BL2420PT
Case Cooler Master Silencio S400
Audio Device(s) Topping D10 + AIWA NSX-V70
Power Supply Chieftec A90 550W (GDP-550C)
Mouse Steel Series Rival 100
Keyboard Hama SL 570
Software Windows 10 Enterprise
First of all market share changes extremely slowly because there is a massive portion of older products being used, AMD CPUs have been consistently better in almost any convincible metric for about 4 years and look low long it took to make a significant dent in the market.
AMD CPUs and boards weren't exactly like that for 4 years. Current i5 11400F and 10400F are phenomenally cheap and way better value than Ryzen, also Ryzen platform had so many issues and dodgy compatibility that it definitely turned off some buyers. RX 5700 series were a complete fiasco with shitload of RMAs because AMD didn't write proper all bug fixing drivers.

System Name Odyssey
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700x
Motherboard MSI MEG X570 UNIFY
Cooling EKWB EK-MLC Phoenix 240
Memory Crucial Ballistix Sport AT 3200MHz 32GB
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 5700XT 8 GB
Storage ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1TBx2
Display(s) LG 32GK850F-B
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Tempered Glass
Power Supply SeaSonic PRIME 650W Gold
Uhm, what does that have to do with the Steam survey?
that's the whole point @Chaitanya first post that you replied to: AMD is focusing their available wafers to consoles and to Apple (until M1) resulting in less desktop CPU and in the slowly decreased Steam HW %
you surely like to make other people replies look irrelevant

Consoles don't have discrete GPUs...
what does THAT have to do with @Chaitanya's point

Space Lynx

Astronaut
This is good news, but yeah, no Radeon 6000 series at all is very weird ... Especially because Ampere is better for mining. Ampere has been present on Steam HW Survey for months and months (since last year, all models are now present - except 3080 Ti obviously)

Can TSMC deliver at all? Or what is wrong .. I guess Nvidia went with Samsung for this exact reason. TSMC is simply too busy fulfilling orders from alot of different brands, Apple always get priority and this won't change and maybe they are also prioritizing console APUs over desktop chips, who knows

AMD missed a golden oppotunity tho - It looks like Nvidia shipped 100:1 Ampere vs RDNA2

as I have said before, there is no reason for Steam to just not send out survey to everyone at once, the year is 2021 people. you can decline it if you want. if they just did they we would have much better accuracy.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/5za05v
that's the whole point @Chaitanya first post that you replied to: AMD is focusing their available wafers to consoles and to Apple (until M1) resulting in less desktop CPU and in the slowly decreased Steam HW %
you surely like to make other people replies look irrelevant

what does THAT have to do with @Chaitanya's point
Says who? Do you actually know this, or are you making assumptions?
Also, do you know that the console SoCs are coming out of AMD's allocation at TSMC, or does Sony and Microsoft have their own allocation with TSMC?
The media is reporting it as AMD allocation, but since we don't have any business insight here and neither do they, we don't know how it works.
And why would AMD focus on Apple? They use a bunch of old hardware and there's no shortage on those nodes as such.
Sorry, but unless you have some actual facts here, this is just assumptions that you guys are making.

The point is, this is a Steam survey about PC hardware, it has nothing to do with consoles.

Macbook Pro 16" uses Navi graphics. Mac Pro uses user replaceable Polaris and Vega cards currently. iMac Pro until this year had Vega. iMac 27" uses Navi.

They sell a lot of AMD chips in their current lineup.
Define a lot. Those are all fairly low volume products, with the possibly exception being the MacBook Pro.

Last edited:
Processor AMD 5800X
Motherboard MSI X570 Tomahawk
Memory G.Skill 32GB
Software Windows 10
5800x in particular runs hot for me but 5900x and 5600x are great cpus. It's to be expected that AMD is coming up with how intel is doing, they have flat out better cpus right now and they listen to the community. I'm surprised it's not higher tb but given the times upgrading your computer might not be a good idea for people with all the part shortages and scalping.
My 5800X definitely runs a bit hotter than the other 5000 CPUs but it's not too bad. It's also down to $370 at Micro Center, which is what I feel like the price should have been around at launch.

Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASRock X670E Taichi
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 Chromax
Memory 32GB DDR5 6000 CL30
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 4090 Trio
Storage Too much
Display(s) Acer Predator XB3 27" 240 Hz
Case Thermaltake Core X9
Audio Device(s) Topping DX5, DCA Aeon II
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Titanium 850w
Mouse G305
Keyboard Wooting HE60
VR HMD Valve Index
Software Win 10
You sure it was DOA? They test the shit out of them before they leave the factory do they not?

My 5900X idles down to 25c.. could be a cooling issue maybe?

They do test the heck out of them. CPU DOAs are extraordinary rare.

Define a lot. Those are all fairly low volume products, with the possibly exception being the MacBook Pro.

A lot: more than 150K annually, minimum. It's easy to overlook that Mac sales are substantial simply because iPhone/iPad sales dwarf it. But ~7M Macs shipped in Q4 2020, even if only 1% of them were variants of the listed models that would be 70,000 AMD equipped devices; 280K annualized. On top of that AMD produces devices specifically for Apple, such as multi-GPU solutions and custom boards with increased cost and complexity, that don't ship with completed systems and are sold as accessory SKUs. It's no small figure.

Processor AMD 7600x
Motherboard Asrock x670e Steel Legend
Cooling Silver Arrow Extreme IBe Rev B with 2x 120 Gentle Typhoons
Memory 4x16Gb Patriot Viper Non RGB @ 6000 30-36-36-36-40
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT MERC 319
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 1Tb NVME
Display(s) 3x Dell Ultrasharp U2414h
Power Supply Thermaltake Toughpower PF3 850 watt
So when people are going "where are AMD graphics cards?" they need to think about some of the decisions AMD have to make

CPUs
3xxx series Ryzen was the superior chip to anything on the market in nearly every aspect which meant everyone wanted them. 5xxx series basically turns it all up to 11 with intel misfiring on both 10th and 11th gen releases of Core.
In the server market Ryzen has been more than viable if not the superior choce in nearly all aspects especially since Rome.

GPUs
6xxx series is very much a viable product, however in recent times they have been very hit and miss. 5xxx series was a decent product but there was a lot of competition from Nvidia up and down the product stack. Radeon VII was something they could say they released but was more paper release vs a mass release.

Consoles
Guaranteed sales, Guaranteed Income and contractually obligated to deliver quite a few processors to both Sony and Xbox especially with BOTH of them releasing consoles very recently especially of differing designs in regards to Xbox so basically 3 differening SOCs required.

So where do you divide your alotment of wafers? Into areas that you know you are going to make you money and are a really safe bet or commit more to a "possible" product stack that are a complete unknown in terms of market acceptance and performance of your competition. 6xxx series availability is suffering from the success of the CPU dept literally being the goose who laid the golden egg for the last 2+ years plus the heightend demand for new SOCs from the new consoles. I can imagine AMD were like "wait people reallly really want the 6xxx series? TSMC We need MOAR!!!" while TSMC is going "Who Doesnt?"

Regarding AMD vs Nvidia in GPU share, just look at RTX 2060 vs RX 5700 (close counterpart) percentage. RTX 2060 (5%) alone dwarves RX 5700 XT (1.03%) + non-XT (0.97%) + 5600 XT (0.36%) combined. Is just AMD significantly lost the mindshare game against Nvidia, even in the midrange where AMD used to contend better on.

And like I've said previously time and time again AMD's flip-flopping on naimng convention isn't helping anybody, least of them AMD. It's kinda the opposite of the CPU side of things. There's a premordial constant hype and media coverage around Ryzen processors while for GPUs it's Nvidia said this, people can't buy RTX GPU that and so on.
Nvidia even found a valid tactic of keeping themselves on media limelight with their RTX/DLSS support announcement every few weeks, which I think replaced their AAA Game Ready Driver update they used few years ago.
Jensen knows how yo market

Steam Hardware Survey is a very good indicator of market movements, as it surveys users that are spread across millions of gaming systems that use Valve's Steam gaming platform.
Let me laugh. A lot of laugh. Steam survey is not very good indicator because, it is unusable as reliable statistics. It has not published its survey mechanics/method of choosing sample, nor the size of sample, and it is known, that it favours intel computers. Also it counts multiple users of same computers (typically internet café players).

Last edited:
Let me laugh. A lot of laugh. Steam survey is not very good indicator because, it is unusable as reliable statistics. It has not published its survey mechanics/method of choosing sample, nor the size of sample, and it is known, that it favours intel computers. Also it counts multiple users of same computers (typically internet café players).
Lol and YouTube is more reliable than steam smh..

Last edited by a moderator:

TheLostSwede

News Editor
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
A lot: more than 150K annually, minimum. It's easy to overlook that Mac sales are substantial simply because iPhone/iPad sales dwarf it. But ~7M Macs shipped in Q4 2020, even if only 1% of them were variants of the listed models that would be 70,000 AMD equipped devices; 280K annualized. On top of that AMD produces devices specifically for Apple, such as multi-GPU solutions and custom boards with increased cost and complexity, that don't ship with completed systems and are sold as accessory SKUs. It's no small figure.
Sorry, but that's a drop in the ocean. In 2019 AMD shipped 79 million GPUs.

Low quality post by Richards
Low quality post by Robin Seina

TheLostSwede

News Editor
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Processor AMD 7600x
What is interesting about that is "AMD will soon be adding Samsung smartphones to the list of platforms using their GPUs, further adding to the number of GPU shipments made by the company."

So of those 79 million how many Exynos chipsets are included in those numbers? Are all the Professional GPUs included in those as well? (I suspect yes) Are the Console GPUs also included? (Again I suspect yes)

System Name Shizuka
Cooling Scythe Choten
Display(s) BenQ BL2420PT
Keyboard Hama SL 570
What is interesting about that is "AMD will soon be adding Samsung smartphones to the list of platforms using their GPUs, further adding to the number of GPU shipments made by the company."
Hopefully Xilleon fate won't repeat this time:

TheLostSwede

News Editor
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro

So of those 79 million how many Exynos chipsets are included in those numbers? Are all the Professional GPUs included in those as well? (I suspect yes) Are the Console GPUs also included? (Again I suspect yes)
And this is relevant to the Apple shipments being a drop in the ocean how?

Are the any nvidia numbers ?
Try using a search engine. I don't work for you and it's not relevant to the question I replied to.

Processor AMD 7600x
Hopefully Xilleon fate won't repeat this time:
Well when Xilleon was sold Handset GPUs were a fraction of what they are now in terms of numbers/capabilities. Lets hope AMD remembers that this time :D

System Name Dumbass
Processor AMD Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF gaming B650
Cooling Artic Liquid Freezer 2 - 420mm
Memory G.Skill Sniper 32gb DDR5 6000
Video Card(s) GreenTeam 4070 ti super 16gb
Storage Samsung EVO 500gb & 1Tb, 2tb HDD, 500gb WD Black
Display(s) 1x Nixeus NX_EDG27, 2x Dell S2440L (16:9)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/8 140mm SP Fans
Audio Device(s) onboard (realtek?) - SPKRS:Logitech Z623 200w 2.1
Power Supply Corsair HX1000i
Mouse Steeseries Esports Wireless
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
Benchmark Scores https://i.imgur.com/aoz3vWY.jpg?2
Well when Xilleon was sold Handset GPUs were a fraction of what they are now in terms of numbers/capabilities. Lets hope AMD remembers that this time :D
AMD hit a good spot to get out of headsets at that time.

Are the any nvidia numbers ?
Asking about Nvida numbers in a AMD thread, who pays you to troll here?

System Name Shizuka
Cooling Scythe Choten
Display(s) BenQ BL2420PT
Keyboard Hama SL 570
They sold it in 2008. iPhone was already made, just like so many cool Nokias. Android was also launched on HTC G1. They sold it just before phones became super profitable, that's an awful timing. If they managed to make some deals with Apple or Samsung, AMD would be stupidly rich today. I remember Intel trying to make into phone market with their Atom chips, but pretty much everything they made sucked.

However, at this point the market is cold. There aren't any breakthroughs, pretty much all phones are the same and nobody cares about them anymore as they are exactly the same flat rectangles. Only Apple and probably Samsung are making some serious money, meanwhile others like Xiaomi, Huawei, BBK are just racing to the bottom and trying to one up each other on price. The problem is that smartphones are already good and they are basically a commodity. You can't just add one truly great feature and get all the dough anymore. Just having a good camera like Nokias did, isn't enough, just playing mp3s like Sony Ericssons did, isn't enough. The only real innovation we will see is when someone will make a new and better battery type, otherwise smartphone market is too stagnant. Perhaps it can work out for you if you don't make phones and only supply parts, but otherwise it would be a horrible idea to enter this market. I think that AMD just missed most of their possible profit there during the gold era of smartphones, where everybody wanted one no matter how shit and low spec it was. Right now buying a smartphone is no more amusing than buying a microwave oven.