• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

NVIDIA to Invest At Least $100 Million in UK's Most Powerful Supercomputer

AleksandarK

News Editor
Staff member
NVIDIA, the maker of high-performance GPUs, has yesterday announced that the company will be investing at least 100 million US Dollars into UK's most powerful supercomputer. Back in October of 2020, NVIDIA announced that it will be building a supercomputer in Cambridge, UK, that will be called Cambridge-1. However, the original plan suggested that the investment would amount to around 40 million GBP, which is roughly 55.6 million USD. Now, it seems that NVIDIA is doubling the initial investment plan and the company now wants to invest 100 million USD, just at the initial phase, which would mean that the total budget could be much greater.

As the company is facing difficulties in the process of acquiring Arm Ltd. from Softbank, by building the most powerful supercomputer in the UK, it hopes to show its commitment to growing UK's Arm operations. And more specifically, it is building the Cambridge-1 in the same place as Arm's HQ, which is also Cambridge. In terms of technologies that will end up in this supercomputer, we are still not supplied with exact information, however, we can expect it to combine the latest CPU, GPU, and networking technologies into one powerful machine.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Space Lynx

Astronaut
@AleksandarK is there a technical reason in grammar that journalists type "Back in October of 2020" When it could simply read 'In October of 2020' which if the reader is smart, should know it implies the past? I see journalists on every website do this. always typing 'back in' - now I was a philosophy major not English or Journalism, so maybe I just don't get it. /shrug

also on topic - this almost seems like a nice friendly pat on the back investment ever since ARM acquisition was halted... lol hmmm... altruistic or egotistic? that is the question dear watson...

I am not sure if pleasing UK is enough for them to complete the acquisition. What is a 100 mil investment considering the money that Nvidia earns each year, and relative to the 40 billion price for ARM? Feels like Nvidia is just throwing in a bone and see if the UK watchdog will bite. Truth is, this acquisition will not be an easy one and I certainly hope it will fall through. Can't imagine what sorts of damage Nvidia will deliver if they own ARM.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
I am not sure if pleasing UK is enough for them to complete the acquisition. What is a 100 mil investment considering the money that Nvidia earns each year, and relative to the 40 billion price for ARM? Feels like Nvidia is just throwing in a bone and see if the UK watchdog will bite. Truth is, this acquisition will not be an easy one and I certainly hope it will fall through. Can't imagine what sorts of damage Nvidia will deliver if they own ARM.

I don't really understand ARM so can't comment to much on it all. Is my thinking correct, in that Nvidia would be able to make CPU's like Intel and AMD finally?

So its investing same amount of GPUs but re-evaluated them at scalper prices to increase investment

AleksandarK

News Editor
Staff member
@AleksandarK is there a technical reason in grammar that journalists type "Back in October of 2020" When it could simply read 'In October of 2020' which if the reader is smart, should know it implies the past? I see journalists on every website do this. always typing 'back in' - now I was a philosophy major not English or Journalism, so maybe I just don't get it. /shrug
Not really a solid reason however I did pick it up from others. Also, it eases the process of reading a bit. :)

System Name Alienation from family
Processor i7 7700k
Motherboard Hero VIII
Cooling Macho revB
Memory 16gb Hyperx
Video Card(s) Asus 1080ti Strix OC
Storage 960evo 500gb
Display(s) AOC 4k
Case Define R2 XL
Power Supply Be f*ing Quiet 600W M Gold
Mouse NoName
Keyboard NoNameless HP
Software You have nothing on me
Benchmark Scores Personal record 100m sprint: 60m
Some believe that future is ARM, not x86, so NV might be playing on that card as they also have networking, gpus,... CPU is their unicorn.

System Name Good enough
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7900 - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora Edge
Motherboard ASRock B650 Pro RS
Cooling 2x 360mm NexXxoS ST30 X-Flow, 1x 360mm NexXxoS ST30, 1x 240mm NexXxoS ST30
Memory 32GB - FURY Beast RGB 5600 Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 7900 XT - Alphacool Eisblock Aurora
Storage 1x Kingston KC3000 1TB 1x Kingston A2000 1TB, 1x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB , 1x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
Display(s) LG UltraGear 32GN650-B + 4K Samsung TV
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
I am sure this wasn't done at all with the intention of influencing UK's decision on the ARM takeover.

Processor i5-6600K
Motherboard Asus Z170A
Cooling some cheap Cooler Master Hyper 103 or similar
Memory 16GB DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) IGP
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250GB
Display(s) 2x Oldell 24" 1920x1200
Case Bitfenix Nova white windowless non-mesh
Audio Device(s) E-mu 1212m PCI
Power Supply Seasonic G-360
Mouse Logitech Marble trackball, never had a mouse
Keyboard Key Tronic KT2000, no Win key because 1994
Software Oldwin
I don't really understand ARM so can't comment to much on it all. Is my thinking correct, in that Nvidia would be able to make CPU's like Intel and AMD finally?
Nvidia can, and does, make Arm CPUs (Project Denver and its successors). AMD has Arm-based microcontrollers in their CPUs. Intel has or used to have an Arm licence, not sure when they last used it. They all have to pay licencing fees to Arm.

System Name Dumbass
Processor AMD Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF gaming B650
Cooling Artic Liquid Freezer 2 - 420mm
Memory G.Skill Sniper 32gb DDR5 6000
Video Card(s) GreenTeam 4070 ti super 16gb
Storage Samsung EVO 500gb & 1Tb, 2tb HDD, 500gb WD Black
Display(s) 1x Nixeus NX_EDG27, 2x Dell S2440L (16:9)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/8 140mm SP Fans
Audio Device(s) onboard (realtek?) - SPKRS:Logitech Z623 200w 2.1
Power Supply Corsair HX1000i
Mouse Steeseries Esports Wireless
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
Benchmark Scores https://i.imgur.com/aoz3vWY.jpg?2
I am sure this wasn't done at all with the intention of influencing UK's decision on the ARM takeover.
The unintentional appearance of inpropiety is still enough to raise a few eyebrows.

System Name 3 desktop systems: Gaming / Internet / HTPC
Processor Ryzen 5 5500 / Ryzen 5 4600G / FX 6300 (12 years latter got to see how bad Bulldozer is)
Motherboard MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max (1) / MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max (2) / Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3
Cooling Νoctua U12S / Segotep T4 / Snowman M-T6
Memory 16GB G.Skill RIPJAWS 3600 / 16GB G.Skill Aegis 3200 / 16GB Kingston 2400MHz (DDR3)
Video Card(s) ASRock RX 6600 + GT 710 (PhysX)/ Vega 7 integrated / Radeon RX 580
Storage NVMes, NVMes everywhere / NVMes, more NVMes / Various storage, SATA SSD mostly
Display(s) Philips 43PUS8857/12 UHD TV (120Hz, HDR, FreeSync Premium) ---- 19'' HP monitor + BlitzWolf BW-V5
Case Sharkoon Rebel 12 / Sharkoon Rebel 9 / Xigmatek Midguard
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Chieftec 850W / Silver Power 400W / Sharkoon 650W
Mouse CoolerMaster Devastator III Plus / Coolermaster Devastator / Logitech
Keyboard CoolerMaster Devastator III Plus / Coolermaster Devastator / Logitech
Software Windows 10 / Windows 10 / Windows 7
And that's how they will get the approval from UK. They will promise hundreds of millions of investments in UK and they will get the OK from the government.

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
Probably had to up investment in order to mitigate the poor efficiency per chip, they want a world beater super computer.
It'll cost.
Nice to see some Nvidia UK love, probably hoping they can leverage this against the UK governments blocking of the Arm deal.

Nvidia is already an ARM licensee and able to produce SOCs based on ARM processors even without the acquisition. Apple have no share in ARM, but is still successful in delivering the M1 chip. Likewise for Qualcomm.

Probably had to up investment in order to mitigate the poor efficiency per chip, they want a world beater super computer.
It'll cost.
Nice to see some Nvidia UK love, probably hoping they can leverage this against the UK governments blocking of the Arm deal.
UK love? Behind this bribe there is so much hate and greed not only for UK, but for the whole world! I strongly believe that UK wont fall in this trap.

Nvidia is already an ARM licensee and able to produce SOCs based on ARM processors even without the acquisition. Apple have no share in ARM, but is still successful in delivering the M1 chip. Likewise for Qualcomm.
As far as I understand, one of the reasons AMD bought Xilinx is because they have a "perpetual license" to use ARM in the same way AMD has a perpetual license for X86. Nvidia does not have this level of license and could have it taken away from them in the future (as in, they are not permitted to renew their existing license come expiration).

Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
UK love? Behind this bribe there is so much hate and greed not only for UK, but for the whole world! I strongly believe that UK wont fall in this trap.
Hate, where you seeing hate, greed yeh, my sarcky comment hinted at other intentions, but hate?!.

Hate, where you seeing hate, greed yeh, my sarcky comment hinted at other intentions, but hate?!.
When someone always wants you to pay them more, even when you already are overpaying them, that for me is more than just greed, and could described as hate. Well it surely isn't love, at least.

Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
When someone always wants you to pay them more, even when you already are overpaying them, that for me is more than just greed, and could described as hate. Well it surely isn't love, at least.
I used the word love sarcastically so, I get you, but I don't think companies operate in the hate realm with customers.
You do ,we disagree but no worries, that's fine too.