• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Legality of TPU Hosting DLSS DLLs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
yeah but he has contacts I thought? how else does he get his review samples?
They're probably not the same people who deal with legality issues. Big companies have a lot of different departments.

System Name loon v4.0
Processor i7-11700K
Motherboard asus Z590TUF+wifi
Cooling Custom Loop
Memory ballistix 3600 cl16
Video Card(s) eVga 3060 xc
Storage WD sn570 1tb(nvme) SanDisk ultra 2tb(sata)
Display(s) cheap 1080&4K 60hz
Case Roswell Stryker
Power Supply eVGA supernova 750 G6
Mouse eats cheese
Keyboard warrior!
Benchmark Scores https://www.3dmark.com/spy/21765182 https://www.3dmark.com/pr/1114767
it's all about perspective imo, better than fast food, and those fast food employees can go apply to be semi-truck drivers too.

no boss breathing down your throat, can listen to audiobooks all day (some people enjoy that a lot), or podcasts, etc.
are you misguided.

those "schools" do little more than provide fresh meat for some trucking company's grinder via job placement services. i know from first hand experience that not everyone is ok with seeing their home just 3 times a month - you make the money driving and being the new driver it would be the shittest routes.
but if you're under 28 and have no family - go for it; and then buy your own rig later.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
They're probably not the same people who deal with legality issue. Big companies have a lot of different departments

you make a good point... I worked at an art museum one time, it only had like 100 employees, and I still couldn't even get a keyboard replaced that some other employee had spilled soda on... even though the IT department literally had a 100 keyboards brand new stacked in their office...

it's amazing to me how broken organizations can be, even though everyone is technically on the same team... lol

are you misguided.

those "schools" do little more than provide fresh meat for some trucking company's grinder. i know from first hand experience that not everyone is ok with seeing their home just 3 times a month - you make the money driving and being the new driver it would be the shittest routes.

truck driving isn't for everyone, but if you have no obligations to a family, etc. could be a good way out of poverty level min wage fast food jobs, etc. I'd rather make 60k a year if i was only making 9 an hr at mcdonalds. but you do you, context is different for everyone.

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Software MacOS 12.1
you make a good point... I worked at an art museum one time, it only had like 100 employees, and I still couldn't even get a keyboard replaced that some other employee had spilled soda on... even though the IT department literally had a 100 keyboards brand new stacked in their office...

it's amazing to me how broken organizations can be, even though everyone is technically on the same team... lol
The logistics of managing large businesses is hard. There are a ton of moving parts for businesses that have north of 10s of millions of USD in revenue.

As a software engineer who puts licenses on his software, knowing that people are going to abide by those agreements is kind of important to me.
And that is perfectly understandable. However, no software engineer or publisher has ANY control over citizen statutory rights. Your rights as a copyright holder must at all times yield to personal rights, without exception. And in some certain contexts, they do. You have no choice in that. You, like any other software dev/engineer/publisher, can put any terms you want in to an EULA. Doing so does not and will not guarantee that any or all of them are enforceable. Now in reality many terms certainly will be enforceable. However, I have NEVER seen an EULA that is 100% enforceable. Most don't even come close. You want to see glaring examples of pathetic EULA terms, go read an EULA from Electronic Arts. Those are examples of laughable contract garbage. Hint: DON'T emulate that very poor example. Another example of a completely unenforceable term(if it actually exists)...
Sooo, I agreed to a license that says I need to notify nVidia when I see something that I might suspect is a violation of the license
...THAT. No copyright holder can enforce such a contract condition. There are many instances of case law that strike down such garbage contract terms.

I mean,
Strictly speakjng, it's not, which is why this thread exists.
Nonsense. This thread exist because a few "special" users who wanted to SJW on TPU. The downloads in question are of no legal consequence at all. Even if NVidia cared, which is VERY doubtful, any DMCA take-down issued can lawfully and correctly be refused. It's called fair-use. This situation is no more unlawful than that of a hack of Super Metroid(perfectly legal for the very same fair-use reasons).

Last edited:
System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
System Name loon v4.0
Processor i7-11700K
Motherboard asus Z590TUF+wifi
Cooling Custom Loop
Memory ballistix 3600 cl16
Video Card(s) eVga 3060 xc
Storage WD sn570 1tb(nvme) SanDisk ultra 2tb(sata)
Display(s) cheap 1080&4K 60hz
Case Roswell Stryker
Power Supply eVGA supernova 750 G6
Mouse eats cheese
Keyboard warrior!
Benchmark Scores https://www.3dmark.com/spy/21765182 https://www.3dmark.com/pr/1114767
truck driving isn't for everyone, but if you have no obligations to a family, etc. could be a good way out of poverty level min wage fast food jobs, etc. I'd rather make 60k a year if i was only making 9 an hr at mcdonalds. but you do you, context is different for everyone.
absolutely! the trucking industry can be a worthwhile career and is important to the economy as a whole, not just the driver.

sorry it was what seemed like a "become the king (or queen) of the road" kinda thingy. i think you may understand my point that there is no free lunch, that everyone pays their dues, to use some clichés.

Dude, I work in (well, rather with) the court system and no judge would see it that way. That is not a legal argument.
Oh? Let's review...
isnt this illegally redistributing licensed code?
So what is this then? Is this the question of a concerned person? Or is this an example of someone not involved with the situation asking about something that is (A) none of their business and (B) completely ignorant to the condition under which these downloads have been provided?

The above user and a number of others are doing little more that stirring the pot & creating drama/problems where there are none. No Judge would ever entertain any of those comments as having any merit or credibility as they have no direct involvement with the administration of either TPU or NVidia. Only W1zzard, certain other TPU staff and representatives of NVidia are parties of interest. A Judge would give only statements made by and for them any grace at all.

You weren't in the thread earlier, I can see.
No, TL; DGAFRA. Care to point anything out specifically?

Last edited:

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Software MacOS 12.1
No, care to point anything out specifically?
You mean the other how many pages of this thread beyond the first post? I've been pretty active in it because I'm that bastard who is keeping it alive and even I miss things. (Sorry @qubit.)

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
No Judge would ever entertain any of those comments as having any merit or credibility as they have no direct involvement with the administration of either TPU or NVidia.
Well no shit. But the respect of the EULA is something devs share, and the EULA instructed Aquinus to report suspected violations, so he did. How is that "SJW" behavior? Not seeing it.

This is more than a suspected violation. It is a violation. Whether or not it is enforcable seems to be what you are hinging your argument on, but you've yet to name any unenforcable points or clauses.
Oh? Let's review...
Done.

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Software MacOS 12.1
@lexluthermiester let's ignore the law for a minute. Do you think it's morally acceptable for a knowledge worker who creates something to not have control over his or her creations? That's really what the boils down to, isn't it? I understand your stance and there is a counter-argument to it. But I'm doing this on a matter of principle, are you? If so, I want to understand why. Loopholes in law are a means to an end.

This is a silly argument to have. If its not harming or costing NVidia money, and TPU isn't making money from it, then I don't see why they would even care. If anything, I see it as a way of NVidia promoting its products at the expense of TPU since they have to foot the bill of hosting the storage & bandwidth for those files.

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Software MacOS 12.1
This is a silly argument to have. If its not harming or costing NVidia money, and TPU isn't making money from it, then I don't see why they would even care. If anything, I see it as a way of NVidia promoting its products at the expense of TPU since they have to foot the bill of hosting the storage & bandwidth for those files.
Silly arguments are the best ones to have and if I've forced everyone who's read this thread to at least think about software licenses, then I think that I've succeeded.

Also, for what it's worth, I've offered ways to do the same thing and still be in compliance with the licence.

Silly arguments are the best ones to have and if I've forced everyone who's read this thread to at least think about software licenses, then I think that I've succeeded.

Also, for what it's worth, I've offered ways to do the same thing and still be in compliance with the licence.
Perhaps, assuming there's even a violation to begin with, but what's your history here and what were the motives behind it? Only you can answer that. Nevertheless, I'm sure there were probably a number of other ways to handle it besides raising a ruckus in the forums, no?

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Software MacOS 12.1
Perhaps, assuming there's even a violation to begin with, but what's your history here and what were the motives behind it? Only you can answer that. Nevertheless, I'm sure there were probably a number of other ways to handle it besides raising a ruckus in the forums, no?
I've been very clear about that multiple times in this thread.

System Name AlderLake / Laptop
Processor Intel i7 12700K P-Cores @ 5Ghz / Intel i3 7100U
Motherboard Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Master / HP 83A3 (U3E1)
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A 2 fans + Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut Extreme + 5 case fans / Fan
Memory 32GB DDR5 Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 6000MHz CL36 / 8GB DDR4 HyperX CL13
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio / Intel HD620
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Evo 500GB + 850 Pro 512GB + 860 Evo 1TB x2 / Samsung 256GB M.2 SSD
Display(s) 23.8" Dell S2417DG 165Hz G-Sync 1440p / 14" 1080p IPS Glossy
Case Be quiet! Silent Base 600 - Window / HP Pavilion
Audio Device(s) Panasonic SA-PMX94 / Realtek onboard + B&O speaker system / Harman Kardon Go + Play / Logitech G533
Power Supply Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 750W / Powerbrick
Mouse Logitech MX Anywhere 2 Laser wireless / Logitech M330 wireless
Keyboard RAPOO E9270P Black 5GHz wireless / HP backlit
Software Windows 11 / Windows 10
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 (Single Core) 1936 @ stock Cinebench R23 (Multi Core) 23006 @ stock
This is more than a suspected violation. It is a violation.
It is opinion not supported by merit or the facts of the situation.

let's ignore the law for a minute.
Oh, that's just funny... and a bit ironic, wouldn't you say?
But I'm doing this on a matter of principle, are you?
Oh yes.
If so, I want to understand why.
I found your postulation intriguing. Let's explore it..
Do you think it's morally acceptable for a knowledge worker who creates something to not have control over his or her creations?
That greatly depends on what is defined as "control".

Do you have the right to profit and/or benefit from your creation?
Absolutely. But there are limitations to that right. See below..

Do you have the right to limit or control distribution?
Within certain boundaries, yes but not completely.

Do you have to right to dictate the terms of use within the context of personal citizen usage?
Absolutely NOT.

Why?
Because you have NO RIGHTS at all to instruct or enforce adherence of use terms where personal use is concerned. You can try, you will fail, morally AND legally.

Do you have the right to dictate terms of use within the context of business entity use?
Absolutely YES, and almost without limits.

Why?
Because business entities(governments, for profit & not for profit organizations) are not in the same class of legal entities as citizens. Personal rights do not apply to entities. You have the right to nearly completely dictate terms to an entity, whether they like it or not.

Do you have the right to control resale of a creation you have sold?
No.

Why?
Why should you? When an oil paint artist sells/gives away a painting, he surrenders a great measure of control of that painting to the person/entity offering payment, if any. Said artist has ZERO claim of interest in any proceeds from a resale of that painting. Nor can that artist control or limit resale. However, the artist in most situations retains copyright(unless otherwise also sold/surrendered). In this way no one but the artist can sell copies or recreations of the original painting. This school of thought applies equally to books, movies and yes, software.

Can you claim a software license is not a sale in the context of a individual citizen?
No. If you give or SELL a copy of software to a person, that person is in lawful possession of that copy of software, per defined legal statues under both civil and criminal law. As such they are ethically, legally and morally entitled to use that software in any way THEY see fit so long as it is within the confines of their PERSONAL use, with OR without the permission of the copyright holder. Additionally and most importantly, the United States Constitution protects the right of possession as to be the same as ownership in almost all situations, software included. This is the real reason why companies like microsoft willingly activate Windows/Office CDKeys regardless of that key status. They know full well that ultimately they must yield to personal use statues. They will not disclose this, but this is the reason.

Can you claim a software license is not a sale in the context of a business entity?
Yes. They are an entity and not entitled to the same rights as an individual.

I could care less whether or not anyone agrees or disagrees with anything/everything stated here. Most of it IS enforceable depending on the effort expended.
However, my motivation and set of principles should be abundantly clear here.

Last edited:
I've been very clear about that multiple times in this thread.
Yes, and simply going by that, its clearly being a fly in the ointment, so to speak. I don't see anything constructive going this route, just all controversial. Its no different than going up on social media and throwing around suggestions for the wow-factor.

Processor AMD 5800X
Motherboard MSI MPG B550 GAMING EDGE WIFI
Cooling Water Cooler SilverStone PF360-ARGB
Memory HyperX Fury, 32GB (4x8GB), 3600MHz, DDR4, CL17, HX436C17FB3K4/32
Video Card(s) RX 6800 XT Sapphire Nitro+ OC
Display(s) Acer Predator X34 34"
Power Supply Sharkoon 850W, 80 Plus Gold, SilentStorm CoolZero
Software Windows 11 21H2 Build 22000.318
Since it's Nvidia vs TPU I vote for TPU, DLSS should be open source! :laugh:

System Name Wut?
Processor 3900X
Motherboard ASRock Taichi X570
Cooling Water
Memory 32GB GSkill CL16 3600mhz
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Storage 2 x AData XPG 8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) 3440 x 1440
Case Thermaltake Tower 900
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum
Do you have to right to dictate the terms of use within the context of personal citizen usage?
What happens when personal citizen usage crosses over into the legal world...such as violating laws. Say I was speeding in a posted zone.

Or....what if a pedo was Viewing child pornography with the express consent of the child. I mean after all, it's all personal citizen usage in the privacy of their own home.

What happens when personal citizen usage crosses over into the legal world...such as violating laws. Say I was speeding in a posted zone.

Or....what if a pedo was Viewing child pornography with the express consent of the child. I mean after all, it's all personal citizen usage in the privacy of their own home.
I guess the speedster will learn about Newton's Laws & Hooke's Law if they hit anything and/or anyone.
As for pornography involving underage minors, consent means squat. The adult is the responsible individual regardless of the child's disposition, and its their responsibility as the adult to protect children from being involved in any kind of sexual act or innuendos simply due to the physical, psychological, and social impact it has on the minor. There's just really no comparison here between copyrights/EULA & pedophilia in regards to the law & its severity.

It's not TPU VS NVidia. It's a couple of forum users being "special" and interpreting simple things drastically out of context.
Its a failure to recognize the spirit of the law. This is why we have too many frivolous lawsuits and high liability insurance rates. We certainly don't see as many private practice physicians & specialists compared to years ago. All because some colostomy bags want to abuse the law to either make money or just take the piss.

And to that mental drivel I will offer the same statement...
It's a couple of forum users being "special" and interpreting simple things drastically out of context.
... Yup..

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Software MacOS 12.1
It's not TPU VS NVidia. It's a couple of forum users being "special" and interpreting simple things drastically out of context.
Why do you resort to ad hominem? I've made my stance pretty clear, but when push comes to shove you seem like really like applying connotation labels.

Status
Not open for further replies.