• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

TerraMaster Introduces F4-421 Professional NAS with Quad-Core Processor

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
TerraMaster, a professional brand that specializes in providing innovative storage products for home, businesses and enterprises, introduces the F4-421 4-bay professional NAS powered by an Intel quad core processor with dual Gigabit network ports for improved networking reliability. The F4-421 supports network aggregation and failover with its dual LAN ports, automatically switching to the second networking port in cases of downtime - a seamless transition for a reliable backup system.

The TerraMaster F4-421 comes fitted with 4 GB of DDR3 memory which is upgradeable up to 8 GB (4 GB+4 GB) to boost performance. The F4-421 supports live hardware transcoding of up to two concurrent 4K videos.It also provides a high-quality video playback to a wide variety of supported devices including smart TVs, digital media players, phones, and computers. The F4-421 is an ideal multimedia storage for entertainment and a reliable data storage for small office and home office applications.

Powerful Configuration, Excellent Performance
TerraMaster F4-421 with an Intel quad-core 1.50 GHz (turbo boost up to 2.3 GHz) processor, 4 GB DDR3 memory (upgradeable to 8 GB), and two 1 GbE ports. It delivers speeds of up to 118 MB/s.F4-421 supports a variety of disk array modes, including RAID 0, RAID 1, RAID 5, RAID 6, RAID 10, JBOD, and SINGLE, to meet the needs of various users and levels of data security.It also features AES hardware encryption offering superb data security for business applications.

Dual Gigabit Network Interfaces
TerraMaster F4-421 is equipped with two Gigabit network interfaces to support network aggregation and failover. This allows the F4-421 to continuously remain online even when one network fails, reducing the possibility of service interruption. Furthermore, the F4-421's network aggregation enables faster connection speeds compared to a single network interface.

Advanced File System and Security
The F4-421 features superior storage technology and optimized snapshot technology of the Btrfs file system. This provides advanced data protection, prevention of data corruption, and minimal maintenance cost. Users can benefit from flexible, storage-saving advanced data protection at the file or folder level with efficient data recovery.

Simple Remote Access with TNAS Mobile
Users can now set up and remote access TerraMaster NAS using the TNAS mobile app. Remote access the TerraMaster F4-421 and set up complex network settings anytime and anywhere. The TNAS mobile app allows you to connect through simple, customizable addresses so that you can instantly access media and work files on any Windows/Mac/Linux computer, laptop or mobile device.

Multilayer Safety Protection
The F4-421 comes with a complete multilayer safety protection against malicious network attacks. It supports SSL encryption, firewalls, Anti-DoS attacks, and advanced account protection, TNAS also offers a special advanced security mode to increase the overall device security level.

Pricing and Availability
The TerraMaster F4-421 4-Bay Professional NAS is competitively priced at $459.99.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name Skunkworks
Processor 5800x3d
Motherboard x570 unify
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB 3600 mhz
Video Card(s) asrock 6800xt challenger D
Storage Sabarent rocket 4.0 2TB, MX 500 2TB
Display(s) Asus 1440p144 27"
Case Old arse cooler master 932
Power Supply Corsair 1200w platinum
Mouse *squeak*
Keyboard Some old office thing
Software openSUSE tumbleweed/Mint 21.2
BORING. Who cares if it has 11 million cores when its limited to 1Gbps ethernet speeds? A cheap marvell controller can easily saturate that kind of network without issue.

This is a complete waste of money.

BORING. Who cares if it has 11 million cores when its limited to 1Gbps ethernet speeds? A cheap marvell controller can easily saturate that kind of network without issue.

Do note that this is the 'professional' version nonetheless. :D

System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.

The F4-422 costs an extra $40 and gives you 10GbE, not that 3.5" drives can come anywhere close to saturating that...

I was seriously considering a CoolerMaster TerraMaster NAS last year as their specs and prices are vastly superior to QNAP and Synology but there were too many user reviews of software issues requiring a data-destructive reinstall of the NAS OS. Whether FUD or not, I was more concerned about a rock-stable set-and-forget user experience than an actual powerful NAS so I got an overpriced, pathetically under-specced Synology NAS instead and it hasn't skipped a beat.

The F4-422 costs an extra $40 and gives you 10GbE, not that 3.5" drives can come anywhere close to saturating that...
I guess you don't run many HDD in RAID?

Also, yeah. Synology sucks big time. QNAP are my personal choice although they are not without flaws either.

Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Case Veddha T2
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
I guess you don't run many HDD in RAID?

Also, yeah. Synology sucks big time. QNAP are my personal choice although they are not without flaws either.
Well, this is for four spinning rust drives so even RAID0 (which is utterly stupid in the era of SSDs) isn't going to saturate 10GbE. A 6-drive array might do it, with fast enough disks that are all empty so using the outer sectors. Real-world read/write on 4x half-full 7200RPM SATA drives is 650MB/s.

FWIW I have multiple racks of storage across three branches and two datacenters from Dell, HPE Nimble, Nexsan,TrueNAS, and a bunch of homebrew Supermicro servers with DAS enclosures. I'm not as well versed on HDD in RAID as some of my buddies who deploy in multiples of 20 servers for a day job, but it's something I've been doing professionally for over 20 years.

Well, this is for four spinning rust drives so even RAID0 (which is utterly stupid in the era of SSDs) isn't going to saturate 10GbE. A 6-drive array might do it, with fast enough disks that are all empty so using the outer sectors. Real-world read/write on 4x half-full 7200RPM SATA drives is 650MB/s.

FWIW I have multiple racks of storage across three branches and two datacenters from Dell, HPE Nimble, Nexsan,TrueNAS, and a bunch of homebrew Supermicro servers with DAS enclosures. I'm not as well versed on HDD in RAID as some of my buddies who deploy in multiples of 20 servers for a day job, but it's something I've been doing professionally for over 20 years.
And after that experience you still consider this option viable? Honestly?

Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Case Veddha T2
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
And after that experience you still consider this option viable? Honestly?
Viable? I was just replying to @TheinsanegamerN's complaint that gigabit ethernet was too slow.

There are plenty of use cases I can think of that would justify having 10GbE on a 4-bay device: RAID10 would provide reasonable protection against drive failure whilst offering ~350MB/s writes and ~650MB/s reads. That's good enough to scrub through 4k video editing directly on the NAS. It's fast enough to use as a Steam games library, It would cut down the time taken for daily backups by a factor of three compared to a gigabit NAS. I'm sure if I thought about it for more then 30 seconds I could think of other benefits.

The market for multi-bay, x86-based consumer NAS units is huge - there's a broad spectrum of viable products from ultra-budget 1-bay NAS all the way up to 8-bay stuff that's practically rebadged enterprise kit. I guess it's photographers with laptops driving that trend but with laptops still selling with shitty 500MB SSDs in them it's no surprise that the consumer NAS market is still growing rapidly.

I was about to say something similar. Not to offer even 2.5Gbs ethernet is pathetic.

Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Case Veddha T2
Mouse MX Anywhere 2