• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Jonsbo Introduces the N1 Mini-ITX Chassis

Raevenlord

News Editor
System Name The Ryzening
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard MSI X570 MAG TOMAHAWK
Cooling Lian Li Galahad 360mm AIO
Memory 32 GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3733 (4x 8 GB)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 3070 Ti
Storage Boot: Transcend MTE220S 2TB, Kintson A2000 1TB, Seagate Firewolf Pro 14 TB
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG270UP (1440p 144 Hz IPS)
Case Lian Li O11DX Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) iFi Audio Zen DAC
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ 750 W
Mouse Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Keyboard Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Software Windows 10 x64
Jonsbo has added to their PC case lineup with the introduction of the N1 Mini-ITX chassis. The N1 features a minimalist, industrial design thanks to its external brushed aluminium enclosure (3 mm) and steel innards (1 mm thick), and includes four feet so the tower can be put in vertical position, in addition to its apparently stock, horizontal one. The Jonsbo N1 features 5x 3.5" expansion bays, and 1x low-profile PCIe expansion port.

A single 140 mm fan on the front of the unit helps keep temperatures in check (particularly for the HDDs), and there's naturally support for a SFF power supply (up to 150 mm in length). The CPU cooler has clearance for up to 70 mm, and the graphics card support is limited to 185 mm. The front panel offers 1x USB 3.0, 1x USB Type-C, and 1x audio port. No word on pricing was available at time of writing.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name Main PC
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5950X
Motherboard ASUS X570 Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi)
Cooling EKWB X570 VIII Hero Monoblock, 2x XD5, Heatkiller IV SB block for chipset,Alphacool 3090 Strix block
Memory 4x16GB 3200-14-14-14-34 G.Skill Trident RGB (OC: 3600-14-14-14-28)
Video Card(s) ASUS RTX 3090 Strix OC
Storage 500GB+500GB SSD RAID0, Fusion IoDrive2 1.2TB, Huawei HSSD 2TB, 11TB on server used for steam
Display(s) Dell LG CX48 (custom res: 3840x1620@120Hz) + Acer XB271HU 2560x1440@144Hz
Case Corsair 1000D
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser HD599, Blue Yeti
Power Supply Corsair RM1000i
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB MK2
Software Windows 10 Pro 20H2
The heatsink fins are arranged perpendicular to the direction of the airflow. Isn't that obstructing airflow rather than making use of it?
Yep, looks to be an oversight from whoever did the render.

Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite
Cooling Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE
Memory 2x16 GB Crucial Ballistix 3600 CL16 Rev E @ 3800 CL16
Video Card(s) RTX3080 Ti FE
Storage SX8200 Pro 1 TB, Plextor M6Pro 256 GB, WD Blue 2TB
Display(s) LG 34GN850P-B
Case SilverStone Primera PM01 RGB
Audio Device(s) SoundBlaster G6 | Fidelio X2 | Sennheiser 6XX
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 750W
Mouse Endgame Gear XM1R
Keyboard Wooting Two HE
The heatsink fins are arranged perpendicular to the direction of the airflow. Isn't that obstructing airflow rather than making use of it?
Don't forget the 5 HDD's in front of the fan.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/5za05v
This looks really neat, but I'm curious about the cooling of this.
Admittedly most NAS appliances rely on a single fan, but it's usually a pull fan in the rear.
Not sure I would consider the sidegrade, as I managed to squeeze in a 120mm AIO liquid cooler in my NAS case and that wouldn't fit in this.
It's also not obvious how the SATA backplane connects to the motherboard.

Last edited:
Processor R5 5600X
Motherboard ASUS ROG STRIX B550-I GAMING
Cooling Alpenföhn Black Ridge
Memory 2*16GB DDR4-2666 VLP @3800
Video Card(s) EVGA Geforce RTX 3080 XC3
Storage 1TB Samsung 970 Pro, 2TB Intel 660p
Display(s) ASUS PG279Q, Eizo EV2736W
Case Dan Cases A4-SFX
Power Supply Corsair SF600
Mouse Corsair Ironclaw Wireless RGB
Keyboard Corsair K60
VR HMD HTC Vive
and the graphics card support is limited to 185 mm.
Considering 5 drive bays and half-height, this is more for the storage controller than a graphics card.

System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
The cooling on this thing is laughable - so many mistakes have already been made at this concept-render "we don't have a tangible product yet" anouncement that I very much doubt the final sample will resemble this.
  • Solid front panel for the single intake fan?
  • 5x 3.5" bays instead of 4x means no real gap between drives for airflow
  • Vertical orientation has the heaviest part (disks) at the top for instability.
  • Vertical orientation has the most temperature-sensitive part (disks) at the top, fighting convected heat from the CPU and PSU.
  • CPU heatsink orientation (likely irrelevant as people will provide their own CPU cooler, but still shows lack of thermal design understanding from Jonsbo)

Make the product, take an actual photo of what you can deliver, and THEN we can either dismiss it or get excited about it.

Last edited:
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite
Cooling Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE
Memory 2x16 GB Crucial Ballistix 3600 CL16 Rev E @ 3800 CL16
Video Card(s) RTX3080 Ti FE
Storage SX8200 Pro 1 TB, Plextor M6Pro 256 GB, WD Blue 2TB
Display(s) LG 34GN850P-B
Case SilverStone Primera PM01 RGB
Audio Device(s) SoundBlaster G6 | Fidelio X2 | Sennheiser 6XX
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 750W
Mouse Endgame Gear XM1R
Keyboard Wooting Two HE
I mean, they could change it to 4 bays with mesh on the top and fan acting as exhaust and additional fan mounted on the side for intake. You don't have to be a rocket scientist to look at the draft and ask "Ok, but where does the air come from?".

The cooling on this thing is laughable - so many mistakes have already been made at this concept-render "we don't have a tangible product yet" anouncement that I very much doubt the final sample will resemble this.
  • Vertical orientation has the heaviest part (disks) at the top for instability.
  • Vertical orientation has the most temperature-sensitive part (disks) at the top, fighting convected heat from the CPU and PSU.
  • CPU heatsink orientation (likely irrelevant as people will provide their own CPU cooler, but still shows lack of thermal design understanding from Jonsbo)

Make the product, take an actual photo of what you can deliver, and THEN we can either dismiss it or get excited about it.
  • Its small lower power NAS, you don't need a ton of air flow just some venting and active air movement.
  • The drives have a 140mm fan right in front of them and thats how all enterprise NASs stack their drives.
  • Yeah, thats an odd choice.
  • Unless you are using 10k drives hard drives hardly use any power once they are spun up and with a 140mm fan there is plenty of cooling for them.
  • Its not that Jonsbo dosn't understand thermals its just that like you said it just dosn't make any difference, you'll need active cooling unless you are going to use a ~10 watt CPU. The passive heatsink in the render isn't meant to be taken literally its just to show the layout of components.
Build quality looks exceptional and the design isn't perfet but I think its pretty nice case for small home NAS that you don't want to hide away in a closet.

• Its small lower power NAS, you don't need a ton of air flow just some venting and active air movement.
  • The drives have a 140mm fan right in front of them and thats how all enterprise NASs stack their drives.
  • Unless you are using 10k drives hard drives hardly use any power once they are spun up and with a 140mm fan there is plenty of cooling for them.
  • Its not that Jonsbo dosn't understand thermals its just that like you said it just dosn't make any difference, you'll need active cooling unless you are going to use a ~10 watt CPU. The passive heatsink in the render isn't meant to be taken literally its just to show the layout of components.
Build quality looks exceptional and the design isn't perfet but I think its pretty nice case for small home NAS that you don't want to hide away in a closet.
Also looks there is 1x PCI slot opening means it should really be used for either NIC or SSD AIC.

System Name The Little One
Processor i5-11320H @4.4GHZ
Motherboard AZW SEI
Cooling Fan w/heat pipes + side & rear vents
Memory 64GB Crucial DDR4-3200 (2x 32GB)
Video Card(s) Iris XE
Storage WD Black SN850X 4TB m.2, Seagate 2TB SSD + SN850 4TB x2 in an external enclosure
Display(s) 2x Samsung 43" & 2x 32"
Case Practically identical to a mac mini, just purrtier in slate blue, & with 3x usb ports on the front !
Audio Device(s) Yamaha ATS-1060 Bluetooth Soundbar & Subwoofer
Power Supply 65w brick
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2
Keyboard Logitech G613 mechanical wireless
Software Windows 10 pro 64 bit, with all the unnecessary background shitzu turned OFF !
Benchmark Scores PDQ

Agreed... looks like a really nice, but seriously flawed, concept at this point..... I am still shakin me head on the solid front panel, let alone all the other issues as noted above.....

Hopefully they will get some good feedback & address them, then come out with a superior, redesigned product, fingers crossed :)

TheLostSwede

News Editor
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro

Concept render? Did you not see the picture I posted from their site of the real thing?
Also, if you look at the front, it has about a centimeter wide air-intake around the edge of that "solid" front panel. Maybe not ideal, but it's clearly not solid.
I can agree with the second point, but again, look at the picture I posted, it doesn't look that bad.
I would guess putting the drives in the front was using the logic of every NAS having the drives up front and then nothing thinking any furter.

You'd be surprised how much airflow you need in hotter climates.
Built my own NAS and I had to put in a second fan to get some airflow over the drives, as it simply wasn't enough air going through the rather crappy hot-swappable case I got. There are sadly not a ton of options when it comes to DIY NAS cases.

Enterprise NAS appliances also have a lot higher speed fans in them, as they push a lot more air through the case and don't care about noise levels.

lukedriftwood

That's a passive heat sink. The fins are arranged vertically to allow for thermal convection.

The fan is meant for the hard drives. None if any of the airflow is going to make it to the heatsink.

You'd be surprised how much airflow you need in hotter climates.
Built my own NAS and I had to put in a second fan to get some airflow over the drives, as it simply wasn't enough air going through the rather crappy hot-swappable case I got. There are sadly not a ton of options when it comes to DIY NAS cases.

Enterprise NAS appliances also have a lot higher speed fans in them, as they push a lot more air through the case and don't care about noise levels.
Cooling is just about controlling the rise above ambient, and its pretty clear this thing isn't meant to stacked next to other hot systems in a datacenter or some industrial environment with extreme temps, its meant to sit on the shelf in your living room or bed room. The only concern with this case would be putting in a CPU with appropriate TDP as there isn't much air flow for the CPU and board. Hard drives themselves draw almost nothing once they are spun up (single digit watts), just about any amount of air flow will keep them happy and this case as a 140mm fan right in front of them. Even in enterprise NASs don't need a ton of cooling and when they do its for the CPU not the drives themselves.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Cooling is just about controlling the rise above ambient, and its pretty clear this thing isn't meant to stacked next to other hot systems in a datacenter or some industrial environment with extreme temps, its meant to sit on the shelf in your living room or bed room. The only concern with this case would be putting in a CPU with appropriate TDP as there isn't much air flow for the CPU and board. Hard drives themselves draw almost nothing once they are spun up (single digit watts), just about any amount of air flow will keep them happy and this case as a 140mm fan right in front of them. Even in enterprise NASs don't need a ton of cooling and when they do its for the CPU not the drives themselves.
I don't know where you live, but I live in the subtropics and in summer my Toshiba N300 drives hit 60 degrees or more on idle, which is a no-no, although they are officially rated up to 65 degrees. So yeah, they're able to produce a fair bit of heat I would say.
The drives normally idle around 45 degrees in summer, which is still hot for idle drives imho.

Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Case Veddha T2
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
The drives have a 140mm fan right in front of them and thats how all enterprise NASs stack their drives.
Five 3.5" drives stacked have a total height of exactly 130.5mm, ignoring drive sleds which don't seem to be used here anyway.

One 140mm fan has an external frame dimension of 140x140mm. The actual fan blades have like 133mm diameter - so we have a 133mm fan trying to blow air through a wall solid wall of hard disks with four gaps that are, assuming things are evenly-spaced in that 140mm wide cage, only 1.6mm wide. (140mm-130.5mm)/6

In other NAS and high-density storage servers, there is either far more spacing for airflow - around 5-10mm, or else they use 5000RPM high-pressure screamy boys to ram air through the tiny gaps, eardrums be damned.

Unless you are using 10k drives hard drives hardly use any power once they are spun up and with a 140mm fan there is plenty of cooling for them
I don't think there are any 10K SATA drives on the market any more. 10K SAS, sure - but this isn't a SAS backplane, it's a SATA backplane.

Last edited:
I don't know where you live, but I live in the subtropics and in summer my Toshiba N300 drives hit 60 degrees or more on idle, which is a no-no, although they are officially rated up to 65 degrees. So yeah, they're able to produce a fair bit of heat I would say.
The drives normally idle around 45 degrees in summer, which is still hot for idle drives imho.
In NA, its been 86F/30C here in the house which is right about the limit where I would turn on central air. In my desktop I have a 7200 Hitachi and 5400RPM WD Green the max the hit was 36 and 37c with two 120mm intake fans in front of them. I'm currently working building a TrueNAS home NAS in 2U iSTAR fully populated with 8 Seagate Constellation SAS drives that I got for free. Its sitting there in a semi-assembled state with the cover half on and two (there is room for 3 total) 80mm low speed Delta fans (idk what the RPMs are, I don't think FreeBSD can read that info) so its kinda in sad state right now and the hottest drive I see is 60C. So yeah.. I kinda need to do something about this thing but I consider this worst case scenario.

Five 3.5" drives stacked have a total height of exactly 130.5mm, ignoring drive sleds which don't seem to be used here anyway.

One 140mm fan has an external frame dimension of 140x140mm. The actual fan blades have like 133mm diameter - so we have a 133mm fan trying to blow air through a wall solid wall of hard disks with four gaps that are, assuming things are evenly-spaced in that 140mm wide cage, only 1.6mm wide. (140mm-130.5mm)/6

In other NAS and high-density storage servers, there is either far more spacing for airflow - around 5-10mm, or else they use 5000RPM high-pressure screamy boys to ram air through the tiny gaps, eardrums be damned.

I don't think there are any 10K SATA drives on the market any more. 10K SAS, sure - but this isn't a SAS backplane, it's a SATA backplane.
Its kinda hard to tell but it dosn't look like its any more dense or restricted than any other NAS I've worked with or the 2U NASs I've built in Supermicro chassis. The Supermicro stuff is really well made/designed and has a shroud to channel the air where its supposed to go but even so the backplane is in the way not mater what you do, this case dosn't look any worse.

The 140mm in this would be fine, there just needs to be some air moving past the drives. Yeah the drive in the middle right behind the fan motor is going to run hotter than the others no doubt but it should still be fine.

The 2U 8 bay Supermicros I've worked in have 3 80mm fans as well and and its just the one system on its own outside of a hot rack those systems stay very reasonably quiet. The fans have very high top end but they are temp controlled and aside from initial power on I've never heard them come anywhere near that top speed. A NAS dosn't need that much air flow, they should have the capacity for it if cooling in the rack or row has an issue but under normal conditions they should be pretty quiet. Compute hosts on the other hand.... yeah those are loud.

Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Case Veddha T2
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
The 140mm in this would be fine, there just needs to be some air moving past the drives. Yeah the drive in the middle right behind the fan motor is going to run hotter than the others no doubt but it should still be fine.

The 2U 8 bay Supermicros I've worked in have 3 80mm fans as well and and its just the one system on its own outside of a hot rack those systems stay very reasonably quiet. The fans have very high top end but they are temp controlled and aside from initial power on I've never heard them come anywhere near that top speed. A NAS dosn't need that much air flow, they should have the capacity for it if cooling in the rack or row has an issue but under normal conditions they should be pretty quiet. Compute hosts on the other hand.... yeah those are loud.
I have a bunch of 2U 12-bay Supermicro chassis where the entire front panel is just solid hard disk with almost zero gap for air. The difference there is that the frame/backplane itself is sinked so the drives stay cool despite limited airflow because the frame they're screwed into is cooled effectively.