• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

TSMC Looking to Build a Fab in Germany

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
TSMC, as part of its strategy to build cutting-edge semiconductor foundries in the US and EU, is looking to build a ground-up fab in Germany. The company's chairman, Mark Liu, made an announcement to this effect in the company's annual general meeting (AGM), addressing shareholders, held on July 26. This move is still in its "early stages," according to a DigiTimes report, with the company prospecting a suitable site across the country. The size and scale of TSMC's investment remains under the wraps.

TSMC's expedition to Germany aligns with an ambitious plan by the European Commission to make the EU a net-exporter of semiconductors and electronics by 2030. TSMC will have Intel Foundry Services for company in Germany, as an acquisition of Global Foundries would put Intel in control of its real-estate in Dresden. Intel is still prospecting the EU for a suitable place to invest €20 billion, besides ongoing investments in states such as the Republic of Ireland.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Seems like a smart move. With the multiple new factories coming online through 2023 though, I really don't think demand will be an issue anymore. Especially with limited sand reserves the silicon makers need delivered... perhaps I don't understand the logistics as well as I think I do though so meh

a new factory should be strategically located near the biggest usable sand reserves not currently in use yet... where is that?

Ok, this is it! Make fabs in countries which presence in top 10 for biggest salaries. And wait for cheap hardware.

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard ASUS ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI)
Cooling Corsair iCUE H115i Elite Capellix 280mm
Memory 32GB G.Skill DDR4 3600Mhz CL18
Video Card(s) ASUS RTX 3070 Ti TUF Gaming OC Edition
Storage Sabrent Rocket 1TB M.2
Display(s) Dell S3220DGF
Case Corsair iCUE 4000X
Audio Device(s) ASUS Xonar D2X
Power Supply Corsair AX760 Platinum
Mouse Razer DeathAdder V2 - Wireless
Keyboard Corsair K70 MK.2 Low-Profile Rapidfire
Software Microsoft Windows 11 Pro (64-bit)
Ok, this is it! Make fabs in countries which presence in top 10 for biggest salaries. And wait for cheap hardware.

Better than having China hold the world to ransom.

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
People say the same thing about manufacturing in the United States as well. The difference is the level of automation in factories in these high income nations. Higher salaries aren't a big factor if you don't need as big of a workforce to do the same thing. Also, the cost to import and export is a thing too, so producing within the EU might actually be cheaper for consumers in the EU.

System Name Dumbass
Processor AMD Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF gaming B650
Cooling Artic Liquid Freezer 2 - 420mm
Memory G.Skill Sniper 32gb DDR5 6000
Video Card(s) GreenTeam 4070 ti super 16gb
Storage Samsung EVO 500gb & 1Tb, 2tb HDD, 500gb WD Black
Display(s) 1x Nixeus NX_EDG27, 2x Dell S2440L (16:9)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/8 140mm SP Fans
Audio Device(s) onboard (realtek?) - SPKRS:Logitech Z623 200w 2.1
Power Supply Corsair HX1000i
Mouse Steeseries Esports Wireless
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
Benchmark Scores https://i.imgur.com/aoz3vWY.jpg?2
net-exporter of semiconductors and electronics by 2030.
When I first read this I thought it said built by 2030, and thought it meant taking 9 years to build? I had to re-read this after I had some coffee. So the EU wants to have a normal market by 2030, yea I'm all for that. :rolleyes:

Better than having China hold the world to ransom.
My country CSI or related German agency(add it's name) ransom is preferable than chinese ransom(show me this chinese ransom, prove it existance in all high-tech hardware made in China) because ? Lol!

Not sure there as well soon will have equal(15%) corporate tax in all EU, or in most of world(?) But in different countries has many other taxes. In EU has big payment for carbon emissions and maybe for other positions. In Germany has inner instability because many southeast emigrants part of them Muslim fanatics.
People say the same thing about manufacturing in the United States as well. The difference is the level of automation in factories in these high income nations. Higher salaries aren't a big factor if you don't need as big of a workforce to do the same thing. Also, the cost to import and export is a thing too, so producing within the EU might actually be cheaper for consumers in the EU.

Last edited:
Processor 9600k
Motherboard MSI Z390I Gaming EDGE AC
Cooling Scythe Mugen 5
Memory 32GB of G.Skill Ripjaws V 3600MHz CL16
Video Card(s) MSI 3080 Ventus OC
Storage 2x Intel 660p 1TB
Display(s) Acer CG437KP
Case Streacom BC1 mini
Audio Device(s) Topping MX3
Power Supply Corsair RM750
Mouse R.A.T. DWS
Keyboard HAVIT KB487L / AKKO 3098 / Logitech G19
VR HMD HTC Vive
Benchmark Scores What's a "benchmark"?
I wish this was true. Sadly, I really don't think it is. Fabs get increasingly automated so there are far less employees needed than, say, five years ago, and this trend will continue - there already are almost fully automated factories in the world. Secondly, EU has horribly high taxes, up to a point where it actually priced itself out of the manufacturing world years ago. "Cheap hardware" simply is not a possibility around here and this move seems like just a way of avoiding the horrible and ever increasing import tax the EU wants to stamp on everything - the EU governing bodies looked at the US "import tariffs", said "yay, we want more money too" and started adding multipliers to taxes.
I don't foresee "cheap hardware" in Europe's future, at best it will be "slightly less expensive than it could have been". And guess who will pay those taxes, because I can assure you the corporations won't...

So, obviously, Global Foundries must have been going out-of-business for the least fifteen years?

System Name Dumbass
Processor AMD Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF gaming B650
Cooling Artic Liquid Freezer 2 - 420mm
Memory G.Skill Sniper 32gb DDR5 6000
Video Card(s) GreenTeam 4070 ti super 16gb
Storage Samsung EVO 500gb & 1Tb, 2tb HDD, 500gb WD Black
Display(s) 1x Nixeus NX_EDG27, 2x Dell S2440L (16:9)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/8 140mm SP Fans
Audio Device(s) onboard (realtek?) - SPKRS:Logitech Z623 200w 2.1
Power Supply Corsair HX1000i
Mouse Steeseries Esports Wireless
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
Benchmark Scores https://i.imgur.com/aoz3vWY.jpg?2
show me this chinese ransom, prove it existance in all high-tech hardware made in China) because ? Lol!
ignorance is bliss. if you dont know by now the 'how' part of it, you'll never see it.

These foundries are geared towards the German automobile and machinery industry.

TSMC build a factory in Poland, there is cheaper labor there than in Germany ;)