• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Zen 4 and RDNA3 Confirmed for 2022, Zen 3 Refresh

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
AMD CEO Dr Lisa Su, in the company's Q2-2021 financial results call, confirmed that the company is on-track to launch the Zen 4 CPU microarchitecture and RDNA3 graphics architecture, in 2022. Zen 4 would herald the first major desktop platform change since the original Zen architecture, with the introduction of a new CPU socket, and support for DDR5 memory. The RDNA3 graphics architecture, meanwhile, is expected to nearly triple SIMD resources over the previous generation, and introduce even more fixed-function hardware for raytracing.

In the meantime, AMD is preparing a counter to Intel's 12th Gen Core "Alder Lake-S" processor, in the form of Zen 3 with 3D Vertical Cache, which is also being referred to as the Zen 3+ architecture. These processors feature additional last-level cache, and the company claims a 15% gaming performance uplift, which should help it close the gaming performance gap with Intel, and win on sheer core-count of its big cores. It remains to be seen if Zen 3+ remains on Socket AM4 or if it debuts AM5, as AMD will be under pressure to match "Alder Lake" in platform I/O, which includes DDR5. Dr Su also confirmed that AMD has started shipping the Instinct MI200 "Aldebaran" compute accelerator based on the CDNA2 architecture. AMD's first MCM GPU with two logic dies, "Aldebaran" takes the fight to NVIDIA's top A100 series compute accelerators, and has already scored wins with ongoing HPC/supercomputing projects.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Space Lynx

Astronaut
I mean we all know we won't be getting one next year... scalpers have figured out a new business model... even if new factories come online and mining died tomorrow it wouldn't matter anymore, there are too many scalper side businesses now that know if they just keep buying all the inventory in cahoots together at MSRP with bots, they can simply sale at higher price. This is never going to end now unless they can ship like so many units the Scalpers Unified Association wankers that they are, can't afford to buy them all, which I doubt they will be able to do.

So yeah... now CEO's of companies really need to figure out how to get this stuff into the hands of actual gamers, and I think my idea is the best one... you have a rollout - you start first week of sells to 10+ years or older Steam accounts one per Steam account and that account must have 250+ games on it... then the second week it drops down to 8 year accounts, and so on and so forth until you finally have a full on public release.

I know not every gamer is a Steam gamer, but I'd say at least 51% are at some level or at some point in their past. This is the only way I can see forward. Other then ending online sales of launch day products all together and making them in-store only... that doesn't fix the problem as well imo, but maybe that could be phase 2, anything to minimize the power of the bots helps and least gives locals a chance.

@TheLostSwede Share this info with your friends who work at these tech companies! Save the gamers! Unite them under one banner!

Damn, I really am in the mood to watch Braveheart movie again now... :rockout::rockout::rockout::rockout::rockout::rockout::rockout::rockout:

Last edited:
System Name MSI GP76
Processor intel i7 11800h
Cooling 2 laptop fans
Memory 32gb of 3000mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) Nvidia 3070
Storage x2 PNY 8tb cs2130 m.2 SSD--16tb of space
Display(s) 17.3" IPS 1920x1080 240Hz
Power Supply 280w laptop power supply
Mouse Logitech m705
Keyboard laptop keyboard
Software lots of movies and Windows 10 with win 7 shell
Benchmark Scores Good enough for me
I mean we all know we won't be getting one next year... scalpers have figured out a new business model... even if new factories come online and mining died tomorrow it wouldn't matter anymore, there are too many scalper side businesses now that know if they just keep buying all the inventory in cahoots together at MSRP with bots, they can simply sale at higher price. This is never going to end now unless they can ship like so many units the Scalpers Unified Association wankers that they are, can't afford to buy them all, which I doubt they will be able to do.

So yeah... now CEO's of companies really need to figure out how to get this stuff into the hands of actual gamers, and I think my idea is the best one... you have a rollout - you start first week of sells to 10+ years or older Steam accounts one per Steam account and that account must have 250+ games on it... then the second week it drops down to 8 year accounts, and so on and so forth until you finally have a full on public release.

I know not every gamer is a Steam gamer, but I'd say at least 51% are at some level or at some point in their past. This is the only way I can see forward. Other then ending online sales of launch day products all together and making them in-store only... that doesn't fix the problem as well imo, but maybe that could be phase 2, anything to minimize the power of the bots helps and least gives locals a chance.

@TheLostSwede Share this info with your friends who work at these tech companies! Save the gamers! Unite them under one banner!

Damn, I really am in the mood to watch Braveheart movie again now... :rockout::rockout::rockout::rockout::rockout::rockout::rockout::rockout:
hahah, i just got done watching that movie in 4k last hour. Got done downloading it this morning over the road and quickly started watching it. Nothing like watching men in skirts in 4k.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
I See Zen 3+ being AM4 and then AM5 initial Launch parts, sort of like Phenom 2 parts

SL2

I still think this is a great idea.
There must be a one-click Scalping@Home, or PCPartScalper out there for consumers to scalp together their new build all by themselves, right? That would be the only way to beat the scalpers at their own game. Power to the people. Waiting for the scalpers to go away is like waiting for the next (next next) HW launch.
Purely speculating, but I think the only way to minimize the impact of scalping is to make their methods available to everyone.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 24505

Zen 3+ cant wait for the +++++ jibes Intel got

16yrs and 401 so i'll be in that first group yaay :D

While the idea is interesting, I don't think Steam would be very happy about it with not getting anything out of it. On the other side, why not sell the cards through Steam? But no company would want to give Steam a cut of the money. This also exclude people without Steams accs, but maybe they have GOG one or some other. In the end, there are a lot of issues with your idea,

When you think the world revolves around Steam + "my idea is the best one"... lmao

Last edited:
The New England region of the United States
System Name Daily Driver(gaming, browsing)
Processor Ryzen 7 3800X
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aurus Pro Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black
Memory 32GB(2x16GB) Patriot Viper DDR4-3200C16
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3060 Ti
Storage Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB (Boot/OS)|Hynix Platinum P41 2TB (Games)|Kingston KC3000 2TB (Misc)
Display(s) Gigabyte G27F
Case Corsair Graphite 600T w/mesh side
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z625 2.1 | cheapo gaming headset when mic is needed
Power Supply Corsair HX850i
Mouse Redragon M808-KS Storm Pro (Great Value)
Keyboard Redragon K512 Shiva replaced a Corsair K70 Lux - Blue on Black
VR HMD Nope
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores Nope

Not a horrible idea, but 250+ seems a bit extreme. Maybe 100+ and they need to be actual purchases, not free games.

I See Zen 3+ being AM4 and then AM5 initial Launch parts, sort of like Phenom 2 parts
Yeah I'd expect Zen 3+ to be AM4 otherwise they'd need to have DDR5 support on Zen 3+ because AM5 is a DDR5 only platform far as I know. If Zen 3+ is DDR4 and AM4 that makes these compelling alternatives to look out for over Intel's Alderlake which was looking like it might be a good value option in some cases. The only question is what if AMD done much beyond the 3D vertical cache. If AMD managed to improved other aspects and/or offer new core configuration sku's Zen 3+ that would be great. The uptick from the cache should be nice curious just how much they'll utilize. The innovation in CPU's is so much better now than it was when AMD was struggling.

Last edited:

Space Lynx

Astronaut
When you think the world revolves around Steam + "my idea is the best one"... lmao

It's a place to start. I never said it was a perfect idea. Yeah you are right, let's just give up and keep letting the scalpers run their new business model forever. Love your criticism without any options to get better. Neat. You so impressive mate.

While the idea is interesting, I don't think Steam would be very happy about it with not getting anything out of it. On the other side, why not sell the cards through Steam? But no company would want to give Steam a cut of the money. This also exclude people without Steams accs, but maybe they have GOG one or some other. In the end, there are a lot of issues with your idea,

I think Steam would be willing to do this, cause they know it means their base finally has a reason to buy more games. :)

I think Steam would be willing to do this, cause they know it means their base finally has a reason to buy more games. :)

The way I said it, it wasn't very clear. I was referring just about the verification part by using Steam without the sales. That they wouldn't want their service to be used like that without actually selling the GPU.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
The way I said it, it wasn't very clear. I was referring just about the verification part by using Steam without the sales. That they wouldn't want their service to be used like that without actually selling the GPU.

that makes sense yeah.

It's a place to start. I never said it was a perfect idea. Yeah you are right, let's just give up and keep letting the scalpers run their new business model forever. Love your criticism without any options to get better. Neat. You so impressive mate.
I personally don't buy overpriced scalped things, that is my way of countering scalping, unfortunately many people of this current society needs their precious CPU or GPU right NOW and by doing so enabling them (the scalpers)!

MarcusNumb

Hopefully Zen3+ will be AM4 so that I can upgrade my 3600x then forget about upgrading for the next 3 years A last gen Ryzen 5000 + a 3070ti = 5 years gaming with no worried