• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel "Alder Lake" Silicon Variants Detailed—Reunification of the Product Lines

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
The 12th Gen Core "Alder Lake" microarchitecture will see Intel unify its desktop- and mobile processor IP, back to the way things were up to the 9th Gen. With its post-14 nm silicon fabrication nodes in their infancy, Intel had diverged the client processor IP across its 10th and 11th Gen Core. With 10th Gen, the company introduced "Ice Lake" for ultra-portable platforms (28 W and below), while retaining 14 nm "Comet Lake" for mainstream notebooks (28 W to 45 W); while keeping desktop exclusively with 14 nm "Comet Lake." For 11th Gen, the story is mostly similar. Cutting-edge 10 nm "Tiger Lake" now covers all mobile categories, while desktop receives an IPC upgrade, thanks to the 14 nm "Rocket Lake." The 12th Gen will see a common microarchitecture, "Alder Lake," span across all client segments, from 7 W ultra mobile, to 125 W enthusiast desktop.

This, however, doesn't mean that Intel has a one-size fits all silicon that it can carve SKUs out of. The company has developed as many as three physical dies based on "Alder Lake," which vary in CPU core counts, the size of the iGPU, and other on-die components. "Alder Lake" is a hybrid processor with a combination of larger "Golden Cove" P-cores, and smaller "Gracemont" E-cores. The P-cores are spatially large, and along with their L3 cache slices, take up a large share of the compute portion of the silicon. The E-cores come in clusters of 4 cores each.

The desktop segment, headed by the new LGA1700 socket, receives the largest die. Physically, it has 8 P-cores, and 8 E-cores across two clusters. The chip also features the smallest iGPU, with only 32 execution units. Being a desktop platform, the iGPU enjoys much greater power budget and can run at higher clock speeds to try and make up for the lower EU count. A larger 16x PCIe Gen 5 + 4x PCIe Gen 4 root complex, and a dual-channel DDR5+DDR4 memory interface, make for the rest of this die. GNA 3.0, or Gaussian Network Accelerator, a hardware component required for DLBoost to work, also makes its presence felt.

A slightly smaller silicon, targeting mobile platforms in the 28 W to 45 W (or beyond) range, is designed for the BGA Type 3 package (which measures 50 mm x 25 mm x 1.3 mm). This die physically has 6 P-cores, 8 E-cores across two clusters, a dual-channel DDR5 + LPDDR5 memory interface, and a PCI-Express Gen 5 root complex (albeit with fewer lanes than the "Alder Lake-S" desktop silicon). The chip has a much larger Xe LP-based iGPU with 96 execution units, and four integrated Thunderbolt 4 controllers.

The smallest of the three dies targets ultra-portable platforms in the 7 W to 28 W category, and comes in the tiny BGA type-4 package measuring 28.5 mm x 19 mm x 1.1 mm. This silicon physically only has 2 P-cores, but all 8 E-cores, the larger 96-EU iGPU, two integrated Thunderbolt 4 interfaces, and only supports the PCIe Gen 4 interface. Memory remains the same, with support for DDR5, LPDDR5, DDR4 and LPDDR4.

Both the BGA type-3 and BGA type-4 packages are multi-chip modules, with the processor die and the PCH die. Those two components talk to each other using OPI (Omnipath Interconnect). The desktop "Alder Lake-S," however, is a conventional 2-chip solution, with the PCH on the motherboard, connected through DMI.

All variants of "Alder Lake" silicon are built on the Intel 7 process, which was formerly known as 10 nm Enhanced SuperFin.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

tabascosauz

Supporter
Staff member
System Name ab┃ob
Processor 7800X3D┃5800X3D
Motherboard B650E PG-ITX┃X570 Impact
Cooling PA120+T30┃AXP120x67
Memory 64GB 6000CL30┃32GB 3600CL14
Video Card(s) RTX 4070 Ti Eagle┃RTX A2000
Storage 8TB of SSDs┃1TB SN550
Display(s) 43" QN90B / 32" M32Q / 27" S2721DGF
Case Caselabs S3┃Lazer3D HT5
Power Supply Corsair HX1000┃HDPlex
And none of them support AVX-512 despite both previous generation Rocket Lake (desktop) and Tiger Lake (laptop) supporting it.

If they really migrated VNNI to AVX2 as claimed, then that's a pretty clear indicator that AVX2 prevailed in the end. Being the case I really don't see this rumor of AMD implementing consumer AVX512 or "dystopian processor environment" becoming reality. Vast majority of Intel's AVX512 signaling in recent years has been over expanding VNNI into various consumer applications.

Rocket Lake made it clear that AVX512 continues to be a thermal and power problem that isn't going away just because of 10ESF. Introduce a hefty AVX offset and it becomes incongruous with the overall performance spec you've painted; reduce that offset to improve performance a la Rocket Lake and voila, 104°C and 290W power draw. IIRC Ice Lake handled it decently well with minimal offset, but then again I don't think AVX512 was ever seriously considered in either Ice Lake consumer (probs just a stepping stone for Ice Lake-SP) or Tiger Lake.

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
Talk about bullshit.

Many of these PR pieces could have been one or piece.

So 8E core's, make's reasonable sense, those big cores must be massive though.

System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
Ultra mobile looks exceptionally promising - 96EU Xe with LPDDR5, 2C/4T+8c and all within a (presumably configurable) 7-28W limit? Yes please.

I still don't see much point in E-cores for desktop consumer processors given that their power-savings doing common task like browsing are going to be single-digit Watts compared to how the P-cores would otherwise have handled menial tasks like web browsing and video playback. What would be more interesting is to see a prosumer chip that was balanced differently - so rather than the i9 being 8C and 16c, the i9 as a productiviy solution should probably drop 4C to make room for anther 16c instead, making the lineup look more like this:

i9 4C/8T and 32c
i7 8C/16T and 8c

Supposedly the smaller cores get more work done per Watt than big cores, so for the all-core, power-and-thermally-limited productivity jobs like rendering, simulation, analysis, encoding - more cores and more efficiency would make far more sense, and also mean there was a more point to having an i9. At the moment the i9 and i7 are so close in performance and target market that the i9 is basically pointless for much other than bragging rights.