• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Western Digital Reimagines The Hard Drive with OptiNAND Technology

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
At the company's HDD Reimagine event today, Western Digital Corp. (NASDAQ: WDC) introduced a new flash-enhanced drive architecture that breaks traditional boundaries of storage. Building on the company's unique ability to innovate with HDD and flash, the new storage architecture with OptiNAND technology optimizes and integrates HDDs with iNAND embedded flash drives. This gives customers - like hyperscale cloud, CSPs, enterprises, smart video surveillance partners, NAS suppliers and more - a solution to meet the exponential growth in data creation by delivering the capacity, performance and reliability needed to store vast amounts of data today and well into the future.

Leveraging industry-first technologies including triple-stage actuator (TSA) and HelioSeal technology, the first products featuring the new drive architecture will deliver an unsurpassed 2.2 TB per platter, extending capacities gains on proven ePMR technology. Setting a new industry milestone, Western Digital has shipped samples of new nine-disk, 20 TB ePMR flash-enhanced drives with OptiNAND technology to select customers.

"Western Digital has a history of hard drive architecture innovations, such as when HGST (now part of Western Digital) first hermetically sealed and shipped helium HDDs in 2013," said Ed Burns, research director for hard disk drives at IDC. "Driven by the growth of AI, ML, blockchain, IoT, sensors and more, there's no doubt that new storage innovations are needed to store and protect today's data growth, especially at scale. As the only company manufacturing both flash and HDDs, Western Digital can uniquely leverage their in-house capabilities to extend the areal density curve of ePMR drives for generations to come, helping customers meet the growing demands of a digital economy."

"This new architecture is a natural extension of Western Digital's strengths and capabilities, delivering a new evolution of storage to the market," said Billy Chen, vice president of New H3C Group, president of Compute and Storage Product Line. "As an early customer, the OptiNAND technology is exciting as it will help us meet our storage needs for years to come."

New Flash-Enhanced Drive with OptiNAND Technology
Unlike a hybrid drive where flash is used to store user data, the new architecture is a breakthrough in storage that works differently, enabling advances on multiple dimensions of storage capability. By adding vertically integrated iNAND to its world-class HDDs, and with enhanced firmware algorithm and SoC innovations, Western Digital's flash-enhanced drives with OptiNAND technology deliver improved capacity, performance and reliability to help customers meet growing storage demands. A technology brief can be found here. Highlights include:
  • Capacity: The drive works smarter, with enhanced firmware algorithms taking advantage of expanded metadata that has been offloaded to the iNAND, enabling more tracks per inch (TPI) with resulting increased areal density.
  • Performance: Drive latency is improved with proprietary optimizations to drive firmware focused on requiring fewer adjacent track interference (ATI) refreshes and reducing the need for write cache flushes in write cache-enabled mode.
  • Reliability: Nearly 50x more customer data can be retained in the event of an emergency power off (EPO) scenario, and with Western Digital's unique capabilities in vertically integrated supply, design, development, testing and qualification of flash-enhanced drives, customers can count on the drive's reliability.
"With our IP and world-class development teams in HDD and flash, we are able to continuously push the boundaries of innovation to improve our customers' storage infrastructure," said Siva Sivaram, president of Global Technology and Strategy, Western Digital. "We have had an extraordinary journey of HDD innovation. We changed everything with HelioSeal in 2013; were first to ship energy-assisted HDDs in volume in 2019; and now we're going to lead again with OptiNAND technology. This architecture will underpin our HDD technology roadmap for multiple generations as we expect that an ePMR HDD with OptiNAND will reach 50TB1 in the second half of the decade."

Availability
The new flash-enhanced drive architecture with OptiNAND technology will be available across the company's portfolio of drives and storage platforms. It will also serve as the foundation for future designs and innovations, with further advances to come in intelligence, reliability, capacity and time-to-market value. The company will begin announcing market-specific, purpose-built products across its portfolio later this year.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name Personal Gaming Rig
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI X670E Carbon
Cooling MO-RA 3 420
Memory 32GB 6000MHz
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 ICHILL FROSTBITE ULTRA
Storage 4x 2TB Nvme
Display(s) Samsung G8 OLED
Case Silverstone FT04
SSHD reinvented ?

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/5za05v
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Cooling MO-RA 3 420
Memory 32GB 6000MHz
Storage 4x 2TB Nvme
Case Silverstone FT04
No, apparently not, as the flash isn't used for file storage unless there's a power cut to the drive.
But it says "write cache-enabled mode".

Isn't it just an SSHD ?

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
I can't pretend I understood how this thing works, but I wonder whether we need to update our recovery tools to deal with this "breakthrough".

These are not SMR drives.

No, apparently not, as the flash isn't used for file storage unless there's a power cut to the drive.

System Name Dumbass
Processor AMD Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF gaming B650
Cooling Artic Liquid Freezer 2 - 420mm
Memory G.Skill Sniper 32gb DDR5 6000
Video Card(s) GreenTeam 4070 ti super 16gb
Storage Samsung EVO 500gb & 1Tb, 2tb HDD, 500gb WD Black
Display(s) 1x Nixeus NX_EDG27, 2x Dell S2440L (16:9)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/8 140mm SP Fans
Audio Device(s) onboard (realtek?) - SPKRS:Logitech Z623 200w 2.1
Power Supply Corsair HX1000i
Mouse Steeseries Esports Wireless
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
Benchmark Scores https://i.imgur.com/aoz3vWY.jpg?2

TheLostSwede

News Editor
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
But it says "write cache-enabled mode".

Isn't it just an SSHD ?
That's not what other sites have reported. It literally says "Unlike a hybrid drive where flash is used to store user data" in the press release above.
These drives still have a cache, it's just not part of the iNAND.
Unlike SSHDs, the OptiNAND drives do not store any user data at all during normal operation. Instead, the NAND is being used to store metadata from HDD operation in order to improve capacity, performance, and reliability.

And this has what to do with the product announcement above?
This is an ePMR drive.

I can't pretend I understood how this thing works, but I wonder whether we need to update our recovery tools to deal with this "breakthrough".
Possibly, considering the metadata is stored in the flash. I guess it would be tricky to recover at least some data without it.

If it looks like a duck... :p
Instead of making assumptions, maybe try to read up and understand what they've done?

Last edited:
System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
I don't understand why the hybrid drives of last decade flopped so badly. The technology they used (MLC and spinning rust) isn't much different to the SLC-mode QLC drives we have today.

I'd love to see an 8TB hard drive with 250GB of NAND running the same way as a QLC drive does - 250GB of fast cache which is written to the platters in the background. The downside would be that IOPS on small reads would be abysmal reading from disk but I'd imagine we're getting closer to file-level awareness in drive firmware that would allow files under 4kb to remain in the cache far longer.

bug

Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Case Raijintek Thetis
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
I don't understand why the hybrid drives of last decade flopped so badly. The technology they used (MLC and spinning rust) isn't much different to the SLC-mode QLC drives we have today.
Going back and forth between SLC and QLC retains NAND's blazing fast seek times. Going back and forth between MLC and spinning rust, doesn't.

System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
Going back and forth between SLC and QLC retains NAND's blazing fast seek times. Going back and forth between MLC and spinning rust, doesn't.
Which is why I said:

"The downside would be that IOPS on small reads would be abysmal reading from disk but I'd imagine we're getting closer to file-level awareness in drive firmware that would allow files under 4kb to remain in the cache far longer."

seek times of 15ms aren't a problem for large files. it's the tiny stuff that's always choked spinning rust.

bug

Case Raijintek Thetis
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Instead of making assumptions, maybe try to read up and understand what they've done?
What they've done is put out a rather cryptic marketing announcement, which usually means there are little technical aspects to brag about. So it's probably a souped up SSHD.

What they've done is put out a rather cryptic marketing announcement, which usually means there are little technical aspects to brag about. So it's probably a souped up SSHD.
There is a link to tech briefing on this page below. Not sure why it took only 7 days to post PR here without the associated tech briefing.

That's not what other sites have reported. It literally says "Unlike a hybrid drive where flash is used to store user data" in the press release above.

And this has what to do with the product announcement above?
This is an ePMR drive.

Possibly, considering the metadata is stored in the flash. I guess it would be tricky to recover at least some data without it.

Wont take long for WD to pull similar stunt with this format and blame customers for using too much storage drive.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
There's nothing cryptic about it and if you don't understand the press release, read the link to Anandtech where they break it down.
The iNAND is not used for file buffering of any kind.

bug

Case Raijintek Thetis
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
There's nothing cryptic about it and if you don't understand the press release, read the link to Anandtech where they break it down.
The iNAND is not used for file buffering of any kind.
The marketing statement relayed here on TPU is cryptic, in that it does little to explain how this all works. I can see there's a bit more info in the tech briefs, I'll have to take a closer look at those.
So far, I got that the flash stores some metadata that cuts down the number of sector refreshes needed. I don't see how that alone would increase capacity, for example, so there has to be more.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
The marketing statement relayed here on TPU is cryptic, in that it does little to explain how this all works. I can see there's a bit more info in the tech briefs, I'll have to take a closer look at those.
So far, I got that the flash stores some metadata that cuts down the number of sector refreshes needed. I don't see how that alone would increase capacity, for example, so there has to be more.
It gives you increased capacity, because said metadata is no longer stored on the platters, but inside the iNAND.
I would say that they've played up the increased capacity due to the metadata being taken off the platters, but in all honesty, I don't know how much metadata there is on a hard drive.

Reactions: bug
It gives you increased capacity, because said metadata is no longer stored on the platters, but inside the iNAND.
I would say that they've played up the increased capacity due to the metadata being taken off the platters, but in all honesty, I don't know how much metadata there is on a hard drive.
It's not the amount of Metadata now stored on the flash that increase the drive capacity but what they do with it. From my understanding, they pack more tightly the data on the plate and they need to refresh adjacent data more frequently. They say from one time per 1000 writes to one time per 6 writes to adjacent track. They need to then track write per track.

But also, on modern drive, Drive virtualize the cylinder and sectors data. Metadata will store all the actual location of each bytes on the platters. The larger the disk, the larger those table become.

I'm somewhat surprised DRAM on HDD's hasn't been replaced with Optane. Perhaps the cost to capacity relative to performance isn't suitable enough though. It kind of seems like the cache on HDD's have to be a bit restrained by the interface itself as well I mean seeing as the I-RAM was so why wouldn't the DRAM cache with a SATA/SAS HDD be in turn?

Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Cooling MO-RA 3 420
Memory 32GB 6000MHz
Storage 4x 2TB Nvme
Case Silverstone FT04

Isn't that just a marketing term as usual from WD, from what they have described, it is exactly a SSHD, just with a little tweak of how they are using the NAND part of it not purely for storage cache.

The NAND is used internally by the HDD controller to track each sector. WD has a better explanation of it all: https://documents.westerndigital.co...reimagining-hdds-with-optinand-technology.pdf

Write operations are recorded to reduce adjacent track interference (ATI). In prior generation HDDs, write operations were recorded at the track level, while refreshes were done for entire tracks. OptiNAND records write operations in iNAND at the sector level. This metadata is used to refresh sectors instead of whole tracks. Eliminating excess refreshes allows tracks to be placed closer together without performance loss.

“It used to be, not that many generations ago, that you could write 10,000 times before needing to refresh sectors on either side,” Hall said. “And then as we pushed the tracks closer and closer together, it went to 100 then 50 then 10, and now for some sectors, it’s as low as six.”

System Name HP Compaq 8000 Elite CMT
Processor Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550
Motherboard Hewlett-Packard 3647h
Memory 16GB DDR3
Video Card(s) Asus NVIDIA GeForce GT 1030 2GB GDDR5 (fan-less)
Storage 2TB Micron SATA SSD; 2TB Seagate Firecuda 3.5" HDD
Display(s) Dell P2416D (2560 x 1440)
Power Supply 12V HP proprietary
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Why did Western Digital abandon the hybrid hard drive in the first place?

Attachments

• WD SSHD.jpg
    WD SSHD.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 108
  • drive.jpg
    drive.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 117
System Name boomer--->zoomer not your typical millenial build
Processor i5-760 @ 3.8ghz + turbo ~goes wayyyyyyyyy fast cuz turboooooz~
Motherboard P55-GD80 ~best motherboard ever designed~
Cooling NH-D15 ~double stack thot twerk all day~
Memory 16GB Crucial Ballistix LP ~memory gone AWOL~
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 970 ~*~GOLDEN EDITION~*~ RAWRRRRRR
Storage 500GB Samsung 850 Evo (OS X, *nix), 128GB Samsung 840 Pro (W10 Pro), 1TB SpinPoint F3 ~best in class
Display(s) ASUS VW246H ~best 24" you've seen *FULL HD* *1O80PP* *SLAPS*~
Case FT02-W ~the W stands for white but it's brushed aluminum except for the disgusting ODD bays; *cries*
Audio Device(s) A LOT
Power Supply 850W EVGA SuperNova G2 ~hot fire like champagne~
Mouse CM Spawn ~cmcz R c00l seth mcfarlane darawss~
Keyboard CM QF Rapid - Browns ~fastrrr kees for fstr teens~
Software integrated into the chassis
Benchmark Scores 9999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999
I know you love SSHDs but they are garbage. Get an actual SSD, rather than some hodgepodge experimental permutation of two well studied technologies, and you’ll understand. The latency on SSHDs is trash, which is the whole argument SSDs make. Even WD acknowledges this with their new “NAND assisted drives” — the only real thing NAND can do for a HDD is store the bitmap and run ECC.

*im drunk and may have mischaracterized these technologies but, still, case in point