• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

First AMD Radeon Vega M Drivers for Intel NUC8i7HNK and NUC8i7HVK in Over 16 Months Released

Whilst driver support for VegaM CPUs isn't that important because it was a niche product with few design wins, it *IS* an indicator of how Intel treats gamers
That has not been my experience. Intel drivers have been rock solid stable for decades. Never had a problem with them. They are not updated as frequently and that is because they don't NEED frequent updates. Intel makes a point of getting their drivers right the first time and often than not succeed in such. And no, I'm not being a "fanyboy". I'm offering objective input based on experiences. AMD and NVidia both need to update their driver frequently due to many factor such as glitches & bugs being discovered, GFX run-times being improved and so on.

Not sure where your complaints are from or about, but they seem more than just a little meritless. Unless you've got an example?

Last edited:
System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
That has not been my experience. Intel drivers have been rock solid stable for decades. Never had a problem with them. They are not updated as frequently and that is because they don't NEED frequent updates. Intel makes a point of getting their drivers right the first time and often than not succeed in such. And no, I'm not being a "fanyboy". I'm offering objective input based on experiences. AMD and NVidia both need to update their driver frequently due to many factor such as glitches & bugs being discovered, GFX run-times being improved and so on.

Not sure where your complaints are from or about, but they seem more than just a little meritless. Unless you've got an example?
The Vega M has been unusable for at least 6 months in new AAA titles because the drivers were too old.
Intel Xe drivers still have more crash/graphics artifact issues caused by drivers than AMD and Nvidia drivers combined.

You do understand we're talking specifically about graphics drivers, right? There's a reason AMD and Nvidia release drivers very regularly and it's not about stability of the drivers, its about compatibility and optimisations for games.

System Name amy-pc
Processor ryzen 5 2600
Motherboard asus a320m-k
Cooling stock cpu fan
Memory 16gb(8*2) bus 3200
Video Card(s) msi rx560 4gb
Storage wd black 500gb sn750 nvme, 2x120gb apacer sata (raid0), 8tb nas synology ds220j
Display(s) msi optix g24 series, freesync 75hz
Audio Device(s) nubwo southpaw ns-12
Power Supply cooler master 550w
Mouse g102
Keyboard philips spk8901
Software windows 11 insider

I'm not regularly play game with Intel Graphic. But once I play, I can't play RE2Remake with Intel HD Graphic 4400.
Not just slow but full of glitches. I'm not sure Intel will have as low issues as AMD/Nvidia when its GPU has more performance.
(Sample:
)

Processor Ryzen 5 7600X
Motherboard ASRock B650M PG Riptide
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory DDR5 6000Mhz CL28 32GB
Video Card(s) Nvidia Geforce RTX 3070 Palit GamingPro OC
Storage Corsair MP600 Force Series Gen.4 1TB

5 years later there were not stable drivers for HD4600. In games as LOL and others the UI is glitching non stop and only vsync help or switching to window mode which is not acceptable. I tried different drivers but all ofthem were unstable and with bugs, the worst experience i had with gpu drivers.

The Vega M has been unusable for at least 6 months in new AAA titles because the drivers were too old.
Intel Xe drivers still have more crash/graphics artifact issues caused by drivers than AMD and Nvidia drivers combined.

You do understand we're talking specifically about graphics drivers, right? There's a reason AMD and Nvidia release drivers very regularly and it's not about stability of the drivers, its about compatibility and optimisations for games.

More like to fix the errors that devs make.

Nvidia and AMD are obviously far bigger in the space of graphics drivers. Intel is just small and the part that really needs optimisations are too little. Their hardware is indeed as it is, reasonable simple to program, but compared with a Nvidia or AMD card it's a different beast. Both compete for having the best FPS / quality, and updating drivers frequently for this purpose is required.

In this case the Vega M it's a AMD chip and since it's a Intel CPU or Intel product Intel is the responsible party to provide a driver. Not AMD. Yes AMD does provide a driver but it's intel who needs to push it out.

Wow, look at the roast...

Citation? This is the first I've heard or seen of such a condition.
Again, this is news. Citation please..

And yes, I googled it. No results relevant to this discussion.

I'm not regularly play game with Intel Graphic. But once I play, I can't play RE2Remake with Intel HD Graphic 4400.
Not just slow but full of glitches. I'm not sure Intel will have as low issues as AMD/Nvidia when its GPU has more performance.
(Sample:
)
In the same statement you mention RE2Remake, you then show a video of RE3. And BTW, that video is showing the game failing to run properly on a Core-i3 based system. That is not a driver problem, that is the GAME not being properly coded to run on the target hardware. Yeah, that's a thing. Even if you base a game on DirectX you still have to compile code for specific hardware.

5 years later there were not stable drivers for HD4600. In games as LOL and others the UI is glitching non stop and only vsync help or switching to window mode which is not acceptable. I tried different drivers but all ofthem were unstable and with bugs, the worst experience i had with gpu drivers.
Yup, sure. Got pictures?

Folks you're failing to do anything but prove the point above about the whining. What you have succeeded in doing is to prove how easily misunderstood problems can be which is itself a distinct level of amusing.

Last edited:
System Name Work in progress
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard Asus PRIME B350M-A
Cooling Wraith Stealth Cooler, 4x140mm Noctua NF-A14 FLX 1200RPM Case Fans
Memory Corsair 16GB (2x8GB) CMK16GX4M2A2400C14R DDR4 2400MHz Vengeance LPX DIMM
Video Card(s) GTX 1050 2GB (for now) 3060 12GB on order
Storage Samsung 860 EVO 500GB, Lots of HDD storage
Display(s) 32 inch 4K LG, 55 & 48 inch LG OLED, 40 inch Panasonic LED LCD
Case Cooler Master Silencio S400
Audio Device(s) Sound: LG Monitor Built-in speakers (currently), Mike: Marantz MaZ
Power Supply Corsair CS550M 550W ATX Power Supply, 80+ Gold Certified, Semi-Modular Design
Mouse Logitech M280
Keyboard Logitech Wireless Solar Keyboard K750R (works best in summer)
VR HMD none
Software Microsoft Windows 10 Home 64bit OEM, Captur 1 21
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R20: 3508 (WIP)
On some of these threads, I would say that objectivity has been thrown out the windows, but some of you could be using Linux.;)

System Name 3950X Workstation
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 3950X
Motherboard ASUS Crosshair VIII Impact
Cooling Cryorig C1 with Noctua NF-A12x15
Memory G.Skill F4-3600C16D-32GTZNC
Video Card(s) ASUS GTX 1650 LP OC
Storage 2 x Corsair MP510 1920GB M.2 SSD
Case Realan E-i7
Power Supply G-Unique 400W
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/the-saga-of-the-little-gem-continues.12877/
I blame both companies to some extent but the majority of the blame is on Intel. Ignoring the fact that it had AMD technology on the same package, this is an Intel product and Intel are ultimately responsible for providing the drivers. Both AMD and Intel CPUs make use of other companies' IP (notably ARM) yet you don't go downloading separate drivers from ARM's website for your AMD or Intel CPU!

AMD's share of the blame is that adding yet-another-Vega iteration into their Adrenaline drivers would have been child's play (they have drivers for Vega as datacentre accelerators, two generations of dGPUs, three generations of APU, and untold embedded/custom designs on top of that)

AMD intentionally withheld driver support to leave us consumers high-and-dry just to make a point to Intel.
A point that Intel clearly didn't care about.

For AMD not to come out of this looking bad, perhaps they could have accepted Intel weren't going to do anything and mitigated the damage/offered a goodwill gesture to customers - even used that as a promotion; "Hey, you bought this Intel CPU and Intel are being jerks. We're not jerks, here's some free software support to ease your suffering because AMD are the good guys; Next time you buy a CPU remember we've got your back."

But no. AMD's marketing department has and always will be a shitshow. The golden opportunity was wasted and once again AMD's marketing department managed to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

This is an Intel product, to be supported by Intel and the driver of which is provided by Intel on their website.
How would AMD issue a driver for an Intel SOC on AMD website, ensuring full compatibility for everything that's going on in an Intel NUC? Your comment is as cynical as they come. What a joke.

The only way AMD can have any blame on this is if Intel repeatedly asked for a driver update, providing all the support for AMD to be able to deliver a compatible driver, and yet AMD dragged their feet to do their job. Any indication of such development? No? OK then.

Whilst driver support for VegaM CPUs isn't that important because it was a niche product with few design wins, it *IS* an indicator of how Intel treats gamers, and Intel is relying on trust and faith for its upcoming ARC dGPU launches, which this VegaM debacle erodes considerably.
Intel has always released pretty good drivers for its mainstream devices.

I'm actually really excited to see a third competitor in the GPU space. If Intel GPU offerings are competitive I would have no reservation buying.

System Name Personal Gaming Rig
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI X670E Carbon
Cooling MO-RA 3 420
Memory 32GB 6000MHz
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 ICHILL FROSTBITE ULTRA
Storage 4x 2TB Nvme
Display(s) Samsung G8 OLED
Case Silverstone FT04
Kaby Lake-G is an Intel product and it has been discontinued early 2020.
While Intel had no intension of providing further driver updates.

AMD did the right thing here and provide driver support to which "technically isn't their own product"

Yet someone blames AMD for this?

Don't you think a little bit odd going to AMD.com to download a driver for an Intel product?