• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Western Digital's Flash Innovation Helps Small- to Medium-sized Businesses and WFH Warriors Tackle Extreme Workloads and Collaborate Faster Using NAS

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/5za05v
According to an IDC 2021 FutureScape, by 2021, at least 70% of digitally-enabled small- and medium-sized businesses (SMBs) will operate under a hybrid model of working, with remote work emerging as a norm. This can put pressure on business owners as they, their staff or IT consultants support advanced use cases like virtualization, collaborative editing and intensive database workloads in order to manage the seamless flow of data.

For SMBs, NAS or network attached storage, is one of the most widely used methods for accessing, sharing and protecting data alongside the cloud. NAS solutions help SMBs solve for latency and remote shared access to data or applications across the network. "SMBs need robust systems that are efficient and intuitive to manage, and in many cases they need some sort of infrastructure on-premises. A NAS solution can benefit SMBs of all sizes, providing the performance, capacity and reliability they need. For more advanced and performance intensive applications, however, the NAS system will need a boost," said Eric Spanneut, vice president of Client and Enterprise SSDs for Western Digital's Flash Business unit. "Our new WD Red SN700 NVMe SSD is the perfect caching solution to complement our WD Red HDDs in a high-capacity NAS environment."

Boost NAS Performance with a New NVMe SSD Cache Solution
Leveraging its strength and leadership in flash, Western Digital today announced the new WD Red SN700 NVMe SSD, a high-endurance, fast-caching solution that accelerates NAS performance for SMB customers.

This powerful new drive is engineered to support 24/7 NAS environments and always-on applications with the ultimate in reliability and endurance. Its fast system responsiveness and I/O performance are perfect for multi-user, multi-application environments, letting SMBs tame their toughest projects from virtualization to collaborative editing to intensive database storage. Its slim "gum stick" design slips right into the NVMe-ready M.2 slot that is available in many of today's leading NAS enclosures.

"NVMe technology is now more integral to QNAP solutions than ever before, with most of our RAID models supporting M.2 SSD caching as a standard," said Tamblyn Calman, sales and marketing director, QNAP. "The WD Red SN700 NVMe SSD helps to further enhance QNAP's product portfolio's storage capabilities by boosting the NAS system's read/write speeds without adding to the overall number of disks in the array."

Key features of the WD Red SN700 NVMe SSD drive include:

High Performance - Delivers up to 3,430 MB/s performance (500 GB and 1 TB models) - more than 5 times the sequential read capability of SATA drives

High Reliability and Endurance - Optimized for 24/7 NAS workload environments offering high reliability and endurance of up to 5,100 TBW (4 TB model) to handle the constant caching of read and rewrite cycles

High Capacity - Offered in capacities from 250 GB to 4 TB to help cover present and future caching needs

Availability

The new WD Red NVMe SSDs join Western Digital's WD Red portfolio of storage solutions that include WD Red HDDs and WD Red SATA SSDs - all purpose-built for NAS. The WD Red SN700 NVMe SSD family is now available from the Western Digital store and through select distribution channel partners. It has a 5-year limited warranty.

Update: Anandtech snagged the pricing for these drives and we're looking at US$65 for the 250 GB drive, US$80 for 500 GB, US$145 for 1 TB, US$ 290 for 2 TB and US$650 for 4 TB.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

TheLostSwede

News Editor
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Do we have price ranges for these drives?

That's not bad. That level of durability implies the use of a higher quality TLC and not QLC..
I would've posted prices if they had provided them. I did look around, but WD doesn't seem to have released the pricing as yet.
Scratch that, had a look again and Anandtech had updated their post with prices which I added below the press release.
The 2 TB drive seems to have the worst TBW rating at "only" 2,500, whereas the 1 TB drive has a rating of 2,000.

Last edited:
System Name 3 desktop systems: Gaming / Internet / HTPC
Processor Ryzen 5 5500 / Ryzen 5 4600G / FX 6300 (12 years latter got to see how bad Bulldozer is)
Motherboard MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max (1) / MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max (2) / Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3
Cooling Νoctua U12S / Segotep T4 / Snowman M-T6
Memory 16GB G.Skill RIPJAWS 3600 / 16GB G.Skill Aegis 3200 / 16GB Kingston 2400MHz (DDR3)
Video Card(s) ASRock RX 6600 + GT 710 (PhysX)/ Vega 7 integrated / Radeon RX 580
Storage NVMes, NVMes everywhere / NVMes, more NVMes / Various storage, SATA SSD mostly
Display(s) Philips 43PUS8857/12 UHD TV (120Hz, HDR, FreeSync Premium) ---- 19'' HP monitor + BlitzWolf BW-V5
Case Sharkoon Rebel 12 / Sharkoon Rebel 9 / Xigmatek Midguard
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Chieftec 850W / Silver Power 400W / Sharkoon 650W
Mouse CoolerMaster Devastator III Plus / Coolermaster Devastator / Logitech
Keyboard CoolerMaster Devastator III Plus / Coolermaster Devastator / Logitech
Software Windows 10 / Windows 10 / Windows 7
Those prices are ridiculous when there are so many TLC options for much less. And good options.
Western Digital tries to make money from it's brand. And those prices are against us, the consumers. Companies that try to push prices up, should be boycott.

US$650 for 4 TB
That's not a bad price given the durability offered.
whereas the 1 TB drive has a rating of 2,000
That is effectively 2000P/E cycles, which is a solid advancement in NAND durability. I wonder what they've changed?

Those prices are ridiculous when there are so many TLC options for much less.
And much less durability. Context is important.

Western Digital tries to make money from it's brand. And those prices are against us, the consumers. Companies that try to push prices up, should be boycott.
Don't over-react.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
That's not a bad price given the durability offered.

That is effectively 2000P/E cycles, which is a solid advancement in NAND durability. I wonder what they've changed?

And much less durability. Context is important.
The 1 and 2TB SKUs are more attractive in terms of price though, as it jumps quite a bit for the 4TB SKU.

I have no idea what has changed, there isn't much information to go on. Some taller stacks of 3D NAND?

System Name AlderLake / Laptop
Processor Intel i7 12700K P-Cores @ 5Ghz / Intel i3 7100U
Motherboard Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Master / HP 83A3 (U3E1)
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A 2 fans + Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut Extreme + 5 case fans / Fan
Memory 32GB DDR5 Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 6000MHz CL36 / 8GB DDR4 HyperX CL13
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio / Intel HD620
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Evo 500GB + 850 Pro 512GB + 860 Evo 1TB x2 / Samsung 256GB M.2 SSD
Display(s) 23.8" Dell S2417DG 165Hz G-Sync 1440p / 14" 1080p IPS Glossy
Case Be quiet! Silent Base 600 - Window / HP Pavilion
Audio Device(s) Panasonic SA-PMX94 / Realtek onboard + B&O speaker system / Harman Kardon Go + Play / Logitech G533
Power Supply Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 750W / Powerbrick
Mouse Logitech MX Anywhere 2 Laser wireless / Logitech M330 wireless
Keyboard RAPOO E9270P Black 5GHz wireless / HP backlit
Software Windows 11 / Windows 10
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 (Single Core) 1936 @ stock Cinebench R23 (Multi Core) 23006 @ stock
1 TB, 2000 TBW for US$145 , I might take one for OS drive once my 970 evo died.

Last edited:
I don't get the point of a red m.2, looks like wd is simple capitalizing on the red name, otherwise doesn't make much sense to me.

For raw storage you'd want multiple drives which won't happen with m.2, either sata, u.2 or sas (in either case it would be a 2.5'' drive), and for a cache it doesn't have any meaningful differentiating feature (I can't find any difference in the spec table to the sn750 here)

They don't seem to mention dram cache, so basically a dramless more expensive sn750? That would be some bullshit right there

I don't get the point of a red m.2, looks like wd is simple capitalizing on the red name, otherwise doesn't make much sense to me.

For raw storage you'd want multiple drives which won't happen with m.2, either sata, u.2 or sas (in either case it would be a 2.5'' drive), and for a cache it doesn't have any meaningful differentiating feature (I can't find any difference in the spec table to the sn750 here)

They don't seem to mention dram cache, so basically a dramless more expensive sn750? That would be some bullshit right there
Maybe you missed that parts about the durability then..

Maybe you missed that parts about the durability then..

Indeed, I missed the TBW but the warranty is the same (5 years) and the nand is also more than likely the same (64L TLC) so that durability difference is even more meaningless than usual.

Still looks to me like just pricing shenanigans

In a way I'm happy that my sn750 theoretically just got a new endurance rating, although I won't be anywhere near the limit of either case :D