• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Fairphone 4 Gets Faster Processor, Larger Screen and 5G, Loses 3.5 mm Jack

Processor Ryzen 5700X
Motherboard Gigabyte B550 Arous Elite V2
Cooling Thermalright PA120
Memory Kingston FURY Renegade 3600Mhz @ 3733 tight timings
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 6800
Storage 36TB
Display(s) Samsung QN90A
Case be quiet! Dark Base Pro 900
Audio Device(s) Khadas Tone Pro 2, HD660s, KSC75, JBL 305 MK1
Power Supply Coolermaster V850 Gold V2
Mouse Roccat Burst Pro
Keyboard Dogshit with Otemu Brown
Software W10 LTSC 2021
jesus christ 600€ for a 750G,

a phone from any of these brands xiaomi, poco, oneplus, asus, motorola, sony and realme (without even mentioning pixel)

will also have updates for the coming years thanks to the release of their kernel source

but at a much better ratio of price/perf-features(camera, screen, etc)

nowdays there is a niche for anything because there is always someone that would believe what someone says if they say it with confindence

wouldnt be surprised if a phone with harmless 5G waves was released, jeeeeeesus f christ

Reactions: Am*

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/5za05v
One more phone name from the same factory Samsung As and Xiaomis come.
And none of the probably near 10 brands bothered to improve the design.
Really? You are aware that most phones aren't made in the same factory I hope.

jesus christ 600€ for a 750G,

a phone from any of these brands xiaomi, poco, oneplus, asus, motorola, sony and realme (without even mentioning pixel)

will also have updates for the coming years thanks to the release of their kernel source

but at a much better ratio of price/perf-features(camera, screen, etc)

nowdays there is a niche for anything because there is always someone that would believe what someone says if they say it with confindence

wouldnt be surprised if a phone with harmless 5G waves was released, jeeeeeesus f christ
You're clearly missing the point here and this phone isn't for you and a lot of other people commenting here.

System Name MSI GP76
Processor intel i7 11800h
Cooling 2 laptop fans
Memory 32gb of 3000mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) Nvidia 3070
Storage x2 PNY 8tb cs2130 m.2 SSD--16tb of space
Display(s) 17.3" IPS 1920x1080 240Hz
Power Supply 280w laptop power supply
Mouse Logitech m705
Keyboard laptop keyboard
Software lots of movies and Windows 10 with win 7 shell
Benchmark Scores Good enough for me

You're clearly missing the point here and this phone isn't for you and a lot of other people commenting here.
It's not for me either, it's over my price range for a phone, $250 to 300 over.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
System Name SYBARIS
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard MSI Arsenal Gaming B450 Tomahawk
Cooling Cryorig H7 Quad Lumi
Memory Team T-Force Delta RGB 2x8GB 3200CL16
Video Card(s) Colorful GeForce RTX 2060 6GV2
Storage Crucial MX500 500GB | WD Black WD1003FZEX 1TB | Seagate ST1000LM024 1TB | WD My Passport Slim 1TB
Display(s) AOC 24G2 24" 144hz IPS
Case Montech Air ARGB
Audio Device(s) Massdrop + Sennheiser PC37X | QKZ x HBB
Power Supply Corsair CX650-F
Mouse Razer Viper Mini | Cooler Master MM711 | Logitech G102 | Logitech G402
Keyboard Drop + The Lord of the Rings Dwarvish
Software Windows 10 Education 22H2 x64

Framework Laptop has taught me what I already knew. People WANT modularity and ease of repair. But not at the cost of aesthetics. And certainly not at a premium for fucks' sake. Who even needs a 5-year warranty (if it was their justification for inflated price). They're not selling to the government or something. Just disclose parts vendors and models and let third party fix shit.

Reactions: Am*
I feel like all of you guys complaining about the high prices or "weak" specs are completely missing the point. First, this is quite a niche product. It's niche because of:

a) The idea: Most people don't give a flying f@#$ about the environment, the working conditions of the people involved in manufacturing stuff or that their phone is a glued together glass slab that's fiddly to repair. They just want max specs for bottom dollar and when said slab goes rock climbing and needs a display replacement, they rather just buy a new phone, because, you know, f@#$ logic and the environment. This phone doesn't appeal to them, it might not appeal to you, but the eco-bio-organic-vegan-hipster crowd will probably love it.

and

b) The execution: This is a byproduct of the previous reason. Limited appeal -> niche product -> low prouction volume. Even if the target audience were larger, the company would probably still need to manfacture and sell millions of phones before the costs per unit are becoming low enough for the retail prices to be competitive without the company paying out of their procket for every phone produced.
Also, modularity and limited engineering funding (compared to large companies) impose some limitations and challenges on design, manufacturing and performance, you have to keep that in mind.

The two main things this has going for it are the ethically sourced materials and the repair-friendly design. The first one might be questionable and difficult to prove directly, the second one is undeniable.

The omission of a 3.5 mm port is a major dick move in my book as well. I can't justify that.

@MikeMurphy - If I remember correctly the bootloader on previous models could be unlocked, so you could use their OS builds or whatever else you like best. I see no reason why this should be different.

@TheLostSwede - A couple of minor typos: the last paragraph should read: "128 GB storage SKU will set you back €579" and "both SKUs come with a five year warranty".

Last edited:
System Name Hotbox
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, 110/95/110, PBO +150Mhz, CO -7,-7,-20(x6),
Motherboard ASRock Phantom Gaming B550 ITX/ax
Cooling LOBO + Laing DDC 1T Plus PWM + Corsair XR5 280mm + 2x Arctic P14
Memory 32GB G.Skill FlareX 3200c14 @3800c15
Video Card(s) PowerColor Radeon 6900XT Liquid Devil Ultimate, UC@2250MHz max @~200W
Storage 2TB Adata SX8200 Pro
Display(s) Dell U2711 main, AOC 24P2C secondary
Case SSUPD Meshlicious
Audio Device(s) Optoma Nuforce μDAC 3
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Keychron K3/Cooler Master MasterKeys Pro M w/DSA profile caps
Software Windows 10 Pro
"more sustainable"

How is forcing users to either wear out their USB port faster or use bluetooth headphone with finite battery lifespans more sustainable then keeping the audio port that has been standardized as long as most of us have been alive?
That's an ... interesting reading? I don't see any evidence of them claiming that the removal of the 3.5mm jack compared to previous models is more sustainable. I see them claiming that their phones overall are more sustainable than smartphones in general. Which is true. That doesn't negate the removal of the 3.5mm jack being bad, but neither does that removal in any way negate the overall benefits of their approach.
Also found it strange how a company went so far as to have a user replaceable battery then never offered or partnered with any company to offer an extended model. I have fond memories of my note 4's 10,000 zerolemon battery, and would love to see something like that. Plus, larger batteries wear out slower, as they need fewer recharge cycles due to longer usable abttery life.
My guess: a combination of price, sales volumes, and the difficulty of finding a partner willing to match their commitment to conflict-free and ethically sourced raw materials. Which would essentially force them into making such a battery themselves, which is bound to be a very low margin endeavor, and an expensive one to buyers. Also, the phone is already above 200g - it would likely exceed 300g with such a battery. There's also the issue of making a rear shell fitting this battery that feels decent in the hand and doesn't ruin the ergonomics of the device. Not trivial with what is already a large phone.
I feel like all of you guys complaining about the high prices or "weak" specs are completely missing the point. First, this is quite a niche product. It's niche because of:

a) The idea: Most people don't give a flying f@#$ about the environment, the working conditions of the people involved in manufacturing stuff or that their phone is a glued together glass slab that's fiddly to repair. They just want max specs for bottom dollar and when said slab goes rock climbing and needs a display replacement, they rather just buy a new phone, because, you know, f@#$ logic and the environment. This phone doesn't appeal to them, it might not appeal to you, but the eco-bio-organic-vegan-hipster crowd will probably love it.

and

b) The execution: This is a byproduct of the previous reason. Limited appeal -> niche product -> low prouction volume. Even if the target audience were larger, the company would probably still need to manfacture and sell millions of phones before the costs per unit are becoming low enough for the retail prices to be competitive without the company paying out of their procket for every phone produced.
Also, modularity and limited engineering funding (compared to large companies) impose some limitations and challenges on design, manufacturing and performance, you have to keep that in mind.

The two main things this has going for it are the ethically sourced materials and the repair-friendly design. The first one might be questionable and difficult to prove directly, the second one is undeniable.

The omission of a 3.5 mm port is a major dick move in my book as well. I can't justify that.

@MikeMurphy - If I remember correctly the bootloader on previous models could be unlocked, so you could use their OS builds or whatever else you like best. I see no reason why this should be different.

@TheLostSwede - A couple of minor typos: the last paragraph should read: "128 GB storage SKU will set you back €579" and "both SKUs come with a five year warranty".
Finally at least one person here who seems to grasp the concept of what Fairphone are trying to do. Seeing the commenters here all starting from the basis that price/value or absolute performance (which ties into value) are the only possible way to judge a phone is just ... kind of baffling? Like, do people have that little perspective on the world? Fairphone has never tried to compete on price or value. That would explicitly contradict their mission - to shift value further down the production chain, ensuring better pay and working conditions in the factories and suppliers they hire, and working towards a goal of ethically and sustainably sourced materials throughout the product. Plus, they're small and independent from giant electronics companies. None of this lends itself towards being cost competitive. And frankly, that's fine. Are they there, are they perfect? Of course not. They themselves detail that in their yearly reports. But they do work - including in-person surprise audits across the supply chain - to ensure that the conditions of their contracts are upheld, and they eschew the multi-linked supply chains that modern commerce use to rid themselves of responsibility for the sourcing of their materials. For everyone else, the standard line is "We don't know where [material X] comes from, we buy it from a trusted supplier, it's their responsibility." Fairphone literally starts organizations to make possible the ethical sourcing of raw materials. And they pay attention to the entire lifecycle of the product, rather than the standard "you bought it, it's out of our hands" approach, working for repairability and longevity of the devices as well as recyclability when they are no longer serviceable. Again, I'm not saying they are perfect in any way. But at least they're genuinely trying, in a way and at a scale no other phone (or consumer electronics) maker is.

If value is the most important thing to you, that is of course an entirely valid prioritization. We don't all have the luxury of plentiful spending money. But using that perspective to criticize essentially the only actor in the smartphone space actually doing effective and impactful work for the fundamental improvement of the industry? That's, at best, a bad-faith argument.

It's also pretty striking how criticisms like these are universally leveled against companies and products genuinely trying to do good (and no, I'm not talking about giant corporations greenwashing themselves here, like that MS """ocean plastic""" mouse last week). Like, when is the last time someone criticized Porsche for delivering poor value with their cars, despite them essentially being reskinned VW frames with more powerful engines and some posh design? Oh, no, they're premium, aspirational, and as such can't be criticized for being poor value, as they deliver something more. Which is true! But so does Fairphone. What "more" it delivers is of an entirely different kind, but claiming one type of added value is valid and one isn't? That gets us into some pretty shaky territory overall, and gets us into value judgements around what is worth paying a premium for or not. If showing off your wealth and burning gas like an idiot with a luxury sports car is worth a premium for you, then that's your right, but it also makes you part of the problem globally. And it certainly makes you a very different person than who Fairphone is aiming at (though no doubt they'd love to convert as many of the overconsuming rich to more sensible patterns of consumption as they can - but I don't think that's a priority for them). And on that level, at least have the intellectual honesty to be forthright about the basis for criticizing them. (And no, this isn't directed at anyone in particular - it's more me begging you to actually consider your priorities and valuations and where they stem from. We all benefit from a critical perspective on our own preferences and habits.)

System Name [H]arbringer
Processor 4x 61XX ES @3.5Ghz (48cores)
Motherboard SM GL
Cooling 3x xspc rx360, rx240, 4x DT G34 snipers, D5 pump.
Memory 16x gskill DDR3 1600 cas6 2gb
Video Card(s) blah bigadv folder no gfx needed
Storage 32GB Sammy SSD
Display(s) headless
Case Xigmatek Elysium (whats left of it)
Audio Device(s) yawn
Power Supply Antec 1200w HCP
Software Ubuntu 10.10
Benchmark Scores http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=1780855 http://www.hwbot.org/submission/2158678 http://ww
Not found of the port removal especially without better sealing... even my waterproof phone has a jack. s8.

That said, their phones are fixable and that C port is replaceable, something I can't easily do on my phone when its jack dies from using Android Auto all the time.
I would guess they are listing wifi AC because the chipset is only AX ready which means it was made before AX was certified... 6e has basically no adoption yet so its silly to expect that but 6 base/AX is pretty nice...

For 6e devices... you can currently only get 90 day fcc licenses and they only have 1 approved chipset. I have AC access points and a mixture of AX/AC devices, I would like my next phone to be at least AX but I have no intention of replacing my APs till AX (wave 2) is ready.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 4750U
Motherboard Yes
Display(s) 13.3"
Mouse Logitech M570
Software btw... I use Arch
Currently there's no other device on the market that has unlocked bootloader (with future LineageOS support), decent camera with OIS and lack of OLED screen, which to many is a major advantage (try using navigation more than few times, 8h a time, you'll see what I'm talking about). I'm really disappointed with lack of 3.5mm jack tho. Once the price settles a little, I'm definitely buying it, because there is just no alternative.

System Name KHR-1
Processor Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard ASRock B550 PG Velocita (UEFI-BIOS P3.40)
Memory 32 GB G.Skill RipJawsV F4-3200C16D-32GVR
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT
Storage Western Digital Black SN850 1 TB NVMe SSD
Display(s) Alienware AW3423DWF OLED-ASRock PG27Q15R2A (backup)
Case Corsair 275R
Audio Device(s) Technics SA-EX140 receiver with Polk VT60 speakers
Power Supply eVGA Supernova G3 750W
Mouse Logitech G Pro (Hero)
Software Windows 11 Pro x64 23H2
One more phone name from the same factory Samsung As and Xiaomis come.
And none of the probably near 10 brands bothered to improve the design.
Samsung closed their China phone plant, sometime after the Galaxy S5 was made, TMK.

Here's a YouTube video about that, even when that's not the source I got my information from:

Last edited:

OneMoar

There is Always Moar
System Name RPC MK2.5
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Pro V2
Cooling Enermax ETX-T50RGB
Memory CL16 BL2K16G36C16U4RL 3600 1:1 micron e-die
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE RTX 3070 Ti GAMING OC
Storage ADATA SX8200PRO NVME 512GB, Intel 545s 500GBSSD, ADATA SU800 SSD, 3TB Spinner
Display(s) LG Ultra Gear 32 1440p 165hz Dell 1440p 75hz
Case Phanteks P300 /w 300A front panel conversion
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus+ Platinum 750W
Mouse Kone burst Pro
Keyboard EVGA Z15
Software Windows 11 +startisallback
R2R Friendly or not those specs are pretty weak
my LG V50 isn't hard to repair as phones go and has double the specs

System Name Hotbox
Video Card(s) PowerColor Radeon 6900XT Liquid Devil Ultimate, UC@2250MHz max @~200W
Case SSUPD Meshlicious
Mouse Logitech G603
Software Windows 10 Pro
R2R Friendly or not those specs are pretty weak
my LG V50 isn't hard to repair as phones go and has double the specs
What does "double the specs" mean? Sure, the SD855 is a good deal faster than the 750, but then the V50 was flagship-tier when it launched. This isn't, and makes no claim to it. And "isn't hard to repair" doesn't go for much compared to an actually modular phone with manufacturer-provided repair manuals, easy access to spare parts, and a design centred around repairability. (And of course it entirely lacks the Fairphone's focus on sustainability and supply chain/materials accountability.) Looking at a repair guide for the V50, the glued-on back as a point of entry already makes it a major hassle, not to mention the further glued-in battery. There are at least some modular parts in there, but how do you get a hold of spare parts? At best through semi-shady third parties. (Especially now with LG shutting down their mobile division.) So, sure, it might be okay as mainstream phones go. But the comparison is still night and day.

System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
I don't think wireless earbuds are going to work in the mass market. You still see too high a percentage of the population using "good enough" phones that may be 5-6 generations old or just cheap and new. On the whole, the mass market doesn't need the flagship kool-aid any more. Even among flagship phone owners, very few seem to be using the expensive, premium brand wireless earbuds. Consumers - even consumers willing to spend $1000 on a phone - are largely not willing to spend $200+ on earbuds.

A decade ago, the trickle-down from flagships to mainstream phones mattered, because those features were valuable. Now, flagship features are niche - audio solutions that cost more than most phones. Cameras that are good enough to use for movie production, processing power that lets you multitask on a phone.

Most people (and by this I mean the most populous market segments, not the most profitable) don't want to become Audiophile film-producing power users, they just want a reliable, familiar device to do the one thing they need it to do at a time in a hassle-free way.

System Name Hotbox
Case SSUPD Meshlicious
Mouse Logitech G603
Software Windows 10 Pro
I don't think wireless earbuds are going to work in the mass market. You still see too high a percentage of the population using "good enough" phones that may be 5-6 generations old or just cheap and new. On the whole, the mass market doesn't need the flagship kool-aid any more. Even among flagship phone owners, very few seem to be using the expensive, premium brand wireless earbuds. Consumers - even consumers willing to spend $1000 on a phone - are largely not willing to spend $200+ on earbuds.

A decade ago, the trickle-down from flagships to mainstream phones mattered, because those features were valuable. Now, flagship features are niche - audio solutions that cost more than most phones. Cameras that are good enough to use for movie production, processing power that lets you multitask on a phone.

Most people (and by this I mean the most populous market segments, not the most profitable) don't want to become Audiophile film-producing power users, they just want a reliable, familiar device to do the one thing they need it to do at a time in a hassle-free way.
I mostly agree with your general points, but wireless earbuds are already taking over the mass market. You can easily find tons and tons of TWS earbuds in the €50-ish class, and sure, they're crap, but they're no more crap than the €20/pack-in earbuds they used to use previously (and there's a slight chance they'll take better care of them due to the higher price + necessary charging case, and no cheap, flimsy wires to wear out from getting stuffed into a pocket). People will still lose them, run them through the washing machine, etc., but there's no reason to suspect that will be at a higher rate than previously. And li-ion batteries tend to outlast cheap wires that get abused, so IMO there's a real chance for improved longevity thanks to the move to BT. But then there's also more materials used, i.e. more waste per product. Still, cheapo wireless headphones and earbuds are here to stay, and as you say, they want something hassle-free that works for their use, and for most people the reduced hassle from BT (no tangled wires, no crackling audio thanks to a failing connection) trumps the increased hassle (charging).

System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
I mostly agree with your general points, but wireless earbuds are already taking over the mass market. You can easily find tons and tons of TWS earbuds in the €50-ish class, and sure, they're crap, but they're no more crap than the €20/pack-in earbuds they used to use previously (and there's a slight chance they'll take better care of them due to the higher price + necessary charging case, and no cheap, flimsy wires to wear out from getting stuffed into a pocket). People will still lose them, run them through the washing machine, etc., but there's no reason to suspect that will be at a higher rate than previously. And li-ion batteries tend to outlast cheap wires that get abused, so IMO there's a real chance for improved longevity thanks to the move to BT. But then there's also more materials used, i.e. more waste per product. Still, cheapo wireless headphones and earbuds are here to stay, and as you say, they want something hassle-free that works for their use, and for most people the reduced hassle from BT (no tangled wires, no crackling audio thanks to a failing connection) trumps the increased hassle (charging).
This, but the people using cheap €50 wireless earbuds are also using expensive phones. Perhaps that's a regional/demographic thing and it's different in other cities.

I guess I wasn't articulate enough in my point - but I'm not really seeing mainstream phone users bothering with wireless at all;

The people I see using wireless earbuds tend to be using them because their expensive phones lack a 3.5mm port. So they're not using them by choice because the choice was taken away from them. The fact that the cheap off-brand wireless earbuds outnumber Airpods/Bose etc out in the wild indicates that a majority of people simply don't want to spend money on earbuds even if they have lots of money to spare on expensive, disposable tech like an iPhone 12 or Galaxy S20....

System Name Hotbox
Case SSUPD Meshlicious
Mouse Logitech G603
Software Windows 10 Pro
This, but the people using cheap €50 wireless earbuds are also using expensive phones. Perhaps that's a regional/demographic thing and it's different in other cities.

I guess I wasn't articulate enough in my point - but I'm not really seeing mainstream phone users bothering with wireless at all;

The people I see using wireless earbuds tend to be using them because their expensive phones lack a 3.5mm port. So they're not using them by choice because the choice was taken away from them. The fact that the cheap off-brand wireless earbuds outnumber Airpods/Bose etc out in the wild indicates that a majority of people simply don't want to spend money on earbuds even if they have lots of money to spare on expensive, disposable tech like an iPhone 12 or Galaxy S20....
That is absolutely true. I don't think it's purely because of having the choice taken away, as I sold tons of BT earplugs (not TWS, this was before those arrived) and headphones back when I worked in retail, long before Apple removed their 3.5mm jacks - people like convenience. That was when the cheapest retail BT headphones in Norway were just starting to creep meaningfully below 1000NOK (~US$100+tax), and there were lots and lots and lots of people who were tempted to go wireless but didn't want to pay that much. Peer pressure, marketing, perceived convenience, actual convenience, and a whole bunch of other factors also play into this.

These days, when I'm out and about I generally see as many TWS earbuds as wired ones - but then I'm likely noticing them more as they tend to be larger and more conspicuous. Still, I sincerely doubt they're limited to just high-end phone users, given the vast popularity of midrange phones these days.

Processor 5800x3d
Motherboard MSI Tomahawk x570
Cooling Thermalright
Memory 32 gb 3200mhz E die
Video Card(s) 3080
Storage 2tb nvme
Display(s) 165hz 1440p
Case Fractal Define R5
Power Supply Toughpower 850 platium
Mouse HyperX Hyperfire Pulse
Keyboard EVGA Z15
"more sustainable"

How is forcing users to either wear out their USB port faster or use bluetooth headphone with finite battery lifespans more sustainable then keeping the audio port that has been standardized as long as most of us have been alive?

Also found it strange how a company went so far as to have a user replaceable battery then never offered or partnered with any company to offer an extended model. I have fond memories of my note 4's 10,000 zerolemon battery, and would love to see something like that. Plus, larger batteries wear out slower, as they need fewer recharge cycles due to longer usable abttery life.

Zerolemon gang! Had a 10k one on my optimus g pro... one of the best phone upgrades ever.

System Name nope
Processor I3 10100F
Motherboard ATM Gigabyte h410
Cooling Arctic 12 passive
Memory ATM Gskill 1x 8GB NT Series (No Heatspreader bling bling garbage, just Black DIMMS)
Video Card(s) Sapphire HD7770 and EVGA GTX 470 and Zotac GTX 960
Storage 120GB OS SSD, 240GB M2 Sata, 240GB M2 NVME, 300GB HDD, 500GB HDD
Display(s) Nec EA 241 WM
Case Coolermaster whatever
Audio Device(s) Onkyo on TV and Mi Bluetooth on Screen
Power Supply Super Flower Leadx 550W
Mouse Steelseries Rival Fnatic
Keyboard Logitech K270 Wireless
Software Deepin, BSD and 10 LTSC
Hahaha no 3,5 Jack to use Battery powered Headphones and trow them in to the junk after 2 Years.

Na i still have a Blackberry Passport since 7 Years

System Name Hotbox
Case SSUPD Meshlicious
Mouse Logitech G603
Software Windows 10 Pro
Hahaha no 3,5 Jack to use Battery powered Headphones and trow them in to the junk after 2 Years.

Na i still have a Blackberry Passport since 7 Years
That's impressive! I still have (and actively use, with IMO decent battery life) my Jabra Revo BT headphones that I bought at some point pre-2016. Not quite 7 years, but a lot longer than most people keep a smartphone.