• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

TSMC Claims Some Companies are Sitting on Chip Inventories

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/5za05v
It appears that some of the current chip shortages might be artificially induced by one or multiple companies in the chip supply chain, according to an article by TIME Magazine. The article is taking a look at the role TSMC is playing in the global chip production industry and TIME has interviewed TSMC chairman Mark Liu among others in the industry.

Mark Liu is quoted as saying "But I told them, "You are my customer's customer's customer. How could I [prioritize others] and not give you chips?"" when asked about the complaints by car makers, since they were among the first to suggest TSMC was one of the issues. Due to the various allegations against TSMC, Liu had a team collect data points to try and figure out what was going on and to see which customers were truly running low on stock and which customers that might be stockpiling for a rainy day.

The end result of this was that TSMC decided to reallocate some production to customers it deemed to be running out of stock, whereas those that appeared to be sitting on their inventory, for whatever reason. This was apparently not a popular decision, but it seems like a fair one, considering the current situation. Liu is again quoted saying "there are people definitely accumulating chips who-knows-where in the supply chain," suggesting that it might not actually be TSMC's customers that are the issue here, but rather middlemen and distributors that are hoarding chips and pushing up prices.

The article is worth a read if you're interested in a slightly closer look at TSMC, although it doesn't go into any more detail about the chip hoarding. On the other hand, it does look at the geopolitical issues that TSMC and Taiwan faces, while Liu also frowns upon the current US$50 billion budget that President Biden has allocated for new foundries in the US, considering that TSMC is investing twice as much on its own over the next three years.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Space Lynx

Astronaut
good on TSMC for the re-allocation. but they will just have to suck it up, cause the President did the right thing in giving 50 billion to build up chip factories here in the USA. its a strategic resource.

Processor Ryzen 5600X
Video Card(s) RTX 3050
Software Win11
Yeah, stockpiling makes almost no sense. The only quick idea i have would be some big players try to dry out the supply of their competitors, but that would be a real stunt.
And if such thing would become public after some of the targeted competitors went insolvent/bankrupt.
Oh that would be a story, something like "A cartel of big players of commertial sector XY killed 100 startups by stockpiling needed chips."

I hope someone shines right on it
cheers

TheLostSwede

News Editor
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
good on TSMC for the re-allocation. but they will just have to suck it up, cause the President did the right thing in giving 50 billion to build up chip factories here in the USA. its a strategic resource.
You should really the entire piece, as they're actually laughing at the US for investing so little.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
You should really the entire piece, as they're actually laughing at the US for investing so little.

I think TSMC is the one who will be sad in 2025 and beyond. Lot of people are sick of buying a new phone every year (other than iphone sheep), etc. Market trends will change, and on top of that with 4+ new factories coming online by end of 2023, there is going to be a gluttony supply of chips for all industries. TSMC can laugh all they want. USA is getting 2-3 more new factories on its soil, and thats enough for national security reasons.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Yeah, stockpiling makes almost no sense. The only quick idea i have would be some big players try to dry out the supply of their competitors, but that would be a real stunt.
And if such thing would become public after some of the targeted competitors went insolvent/bankrupt.
Oh that would be a story, something like "A cartel of big players of commertial sector XY killed 100 startups by stockpiling needed chips."

I hope someone shines right on it
cheers
Look at it as a short to mid-term investment. If you take something simple like and STM32 MCU, they're using in just about everything these days, as they are were dirt cheap at something like $1 or less for the most basic options. Now those same chips are going for $10 or more for the popular options.
Not all distributors are doing this, but a lot of the parts are no longer in stock with 52 weeks or longer lead times, so those that have stock, are taking advantage of it.

I would actually expect quite a few startups going bust due to this, as it's simply not economically viable to produce a lot of things right now, not just because of the price of some components, but also due to the much higher shipping costs that will eat in to your bottom line.

I think TSMC is the one who will be sad in 2025 and beyond. Lot of people are sick of buying a new phone every year (other than iphone sheep), etc. Market trends will change, and on top of that with 4+ new factories coming online by end of 2023, there is going to be a gluttony supply of chips for all industries. TSMC can laugh all they want. USA is getting 2-3 more new factories on its soil, and thats enough for national security reasons.
Well, that's your opinion, but you are clearly not keeping up with who the world is changing. TSMC is likely to continue to be on top of the foreseeable future, as they're building a couple of fabs in Arizona, if you missed it and are considering other parts of the world as well. I guess you simply don't understand how many customers they have outside of Apple.
I honestly don't think TSMC is the least bit concerned about US national security.

Processor Ryzen 5 5700x
Motherboard B550 Elite
Cooling Thermalright Perless Assassin 120 SE
Memory 32GB Fury Beast DDR4 3200Mhz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 3060 ti gaming oc pro
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1TB, WD SN850x 1TB, plus some random HDDs
Display(s) LG 27gp850 1440p 165Hz 27''
Case Lian Li Lancool II performance
Power Supply MSI 750w
Mouse G502
People do whatever they want with what they buy. I don't think stockpilling is the problem. The problem is why companies feel the need to stockpile. We need more companies producing chips, not just fabs, but more companies.

Processor AMD Ryzen 3700x
Motherboard asus ROG Strix B-350I Gaming
Cooling Deepcool LS520 SE
Memory crucial ballistix 32Gb DDR4
Video Card(s) RTX 3070 FE
Storage WD sn550 1To/WD ssd sata 1To /WD black sn750 1To/Seagate 2To/WD book 4 To back-up
Display(s) LG GL850
Case Dan A4 H2O
Audio Device(s) sennheiser HD58X
Power Supply Corsair SF600
Mouse MX master 3
Keyboard Master Key Mx
Software win 11 pro
Actually, iPhone sheep are also slowing down their upgrade :
People are keeping their old iPhones longer (cnn.com)

las

System Name Obsolete / Waiting for Zen 5 or Arrow Lake
Processor i9-9900K @ 5.2 GHz @ 1.35v / No AVX Offset
Motherboard AsRock Z390 Taichi
Cooling Custom Water
Memory 32GB G.Skill @ 4000/CL15
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX 4090 Phantom / Undervolt + OC
Storage Samsung 990 Pro 2TB + WD SN850X 1TB + 64TB NAS/Server
Display(s) 27" 1440p IPS @ 280 Hz + 77" QD-OLED @ 144 Hz VRR
Case Fractal Design Meshify C
Audio Device(s) Asus Essence STX / Upgraded Op-Amps
Power Supply Corsair RM1000x / Native 12VHPWR
Mouse Logitech G Pro Wireless Superlight
Keyboard Corsair K60 Pro / MX Low Profile Speed
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Processor Ryzen 5 5700x
Motherboard B550 Elite
Power Supply MSI 750w
Mouse G502
phone wars :rockout:

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
Hmnn , few companies are prepping big GPU releases soon too Soo some hoarding is to be expected.

System Name Nebulon-B Mk. 4
Motherboard MSi PRO B650M-A WiFi
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock 4
Memory 2x 24 GB Corsair Vengeance EXPO DDR5-6000
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 7800 XT
Storage 2 TB Corsair MP600 GS, 2 TB Corsair MP600 R2, 4 + 8 TB Seagate Barracuda 3.5"
Display(s) Dell S3422DWG, 7" Waveshare touchscreen
Case Kolink Citadel Mesh black
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-750
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2S
Keyboard Logitech G413 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 single-core: 1,800, multi-core: 18,000. Superposition 1080p Extreme: 9,900.
I had a feeling something like this would surface eventually. PC components being a commodity one day, then not available the next, and the whole thing being blamed on covid (which I think has little to do with it) while prices are going up for no apparent reason just doesn't smell right.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Hmnn , few companies are prepping big GPU releases soon too Soo some hoarding is to be expected.
I don't think that's what being mentioned in the article. It's more likely that we're talking about MCU and SoC makers here, as a lot of those products have skyrocketed in price.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Look at it as a short to mid-term investment. If you take something simple like and STM32 MCU, they're using in just about everything these days, as they are were dirt cheap at something like $1 or less for the most basic options. Now those same chips are going for $10 or more for the popular options.
Not all distributors are doing this, but a lot of the parts are no longer in stock with 52 weeks or longer lead times, so those that have stock, are taking advantage of it.

I would actually expect quite a few startups going bust due to this, as it's simply not economically viable to produce a lot of things right now, not just because of the price of some components, but also due to the much higher shipping costs that will eat in to your bottom line.

Well, that's your opinion, but you are clearly not keeping up with who the world is changing. TSMC is likely to continue to be on top of the foreseeable future, as they're building a couple of fabs in Arizona, if you missed it and are considering other parts of the world as well. I guess you simply don't understand how many customers they have outside of Apple.
I honestly don't think TSMC is the least bit concerned about US national security.

I understand full well how many customers TSMC has, but I also understand when the new factories go online (also Intel is taking over the car business since TSMC failed the car industry), Intel has already made several deals with the car industry. Once Intel's new factories go online, sure they will never match TSMC in volume, but overall shortages across all industries will finally catch up.

Bloomburg and several other financial predictions predict a gluttony of chips by end of 2023. I think in 2025 TSMC actually will be hurting quite badly. With super high inflation occurring, people are going to be less willing to upgrade electronic devices at the pace they used to, combine that with the new factories coming online from TSMC and Intel, its going to be a perfect storm for over supply and less demand probably late 2023 or early 2024. Which is good news for the consumer, but I just think TSMC will be hurting as far as record profits go, they won't be record anymore imo, they are enjoying their peak right now.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
I understand full well how many customers TSMC has, but I also understand when the new factories go online (also Intel is taking over the car business since TSMC failed the car industry), Intel has already made several deals with the car industry. Once Intel's new factories go online, sure they will never match TSMC in volume, but overall shortages across all industries will finally catch up.
I think you're vastly overestimating Intel's ability as a foundry. Also, TSMC didn't fail anyone, the suppliers to the car makers failed them.
Bloomburg and several other financial predictions predict a gluttony of chips by end of 2023. I think in 2025 TSMC actually will be hurting quite badly. With super high inflation occurring, people are going to be less willing to upgrade electronic devices at the pace they used to, combine that with the new factories coming online from TSMC and Intel, its going to be a perfect storm for over supply and less demand probably late 2023 or early 2024. Which is good news for the consumer, but I just think TSMC will be hurting as far as record profits go, they won't be record anymore imo, they are enjoying their peak right now.
TSMC will as I said, never be hurting, just because demands goes down, doesn't mean it'll hurt TSMC, as they have more business than capability and this was the case two years ago as well.
They produce such a wide range of chips that it'll be impossible for anyone to compete directly with them at all levels. TSMC's profits might go down, but the only real effect that might have, is that they'll invest a bit less in new fabs, which they are cleverly investing in now, when they're making money hand over fist.
No oversupply is really expected and it's easier for someone like TSMC to shift production to something else, than it is for Intel.

System Name Ryzen 3 Build
Processor Ryzen 5 5600x
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite b550
Memory GSkill Ripjaws V (2x16GB)
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 3080 Trio 10GB
Storage SSD (250GB) + SSD (500GB) + HDD (1TB)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro PH-ES614P
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 750W 80+ Gold
Software Windows 10 64Bit
I didn't realize there was a middle-man between customers and TSMC. I'll have to give the article a read later.

System Name Personal / HTPC
Processor Ryzen 5900x / i5-4460
Motherboard Asrock x570 Phantom Gaming 4 /ASRock Z87 Extreme4
Cooling Corsair H100i / stock HSF
Memory 32GB DDR4 3200 / 8GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) EVGA XC3 Ultra RTX 3080Ti / EVGA RTX 3060 XC
Storage 500GB Pro 970, 250 GB SSD, 1TB & 500GB Western Digital / 2x 4TB & 1x 8TB WD Red, 2TB SSD & 4TB SSD
Display(s) Dell - S3220DGF 32" LED Curved QHD FreeSync Monitor / 50" LCD TV
Case CoolerMaster HAF XB Evo / CM HAF XB Evo
Audio Device(s) Logitech G35 headset
Power Supply 850W SeaSonic X Series / 750W SeaSonic X Series
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Black Microsoft Natural Elite Keyboard
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 / Windows 10 Pro 64
I don't think that's what being mentioned in the article. It's more likely that we're talking about MCU and SoC makers here, as a lot of those products have skyrocketed in price.

But what better way to help secure high prices right when the major Holidays are coming up?
1) Stock pile chips
2) Slow down manufacturing to help limit available inventory
3) Keep prices high or push higher due to limited availability
4) Ensure folks that more will be done to improve upon inventory
5) ????
6) Profit!

TheLostSwede

News Editor
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
I didn't realize there was a middle-man between customers and TSMC. I'll have to give the article a read later.
How did you figure that out from the article? The issue is that the car manufacturers are complaining to TSMC that they can't get chips from ST, NXP, Qualcomm etc. and blame it on TSMC. TSMC responded by saying some companies are stockpiling chips, but they don't know who in the supply chain between TSMC's customers and the end customer who is to blame.

But what better way to help secure high prices right when the major Holidays are coming up?
1) Stock pile chips
2) Slow down manufacturing to help limit available inventory
3) Keep prices high or push higher due to limited availability
4) Ensure folks that more will be done to improve upon inventory
5) ????
6) Profit!
You're evil...

System Name Personal / HTPC
Processor Ryzen 5900x / i5-4460
Motherboard Asrock x570 Phantom Gaming 4 /ASRock Z87 Extreme4
Cooling Corsair H100i / stock HSF
Memory 32GB DDR4 3200 / 8GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) EVGA XC3 Ultra RTX 3080Ti / EVGA RTX 3060 XC
Storage 500GB Pro 970, 250 GB SSD, 1TB & 500GB Western Digital / 2x 4TB & 1x 8TB WD Red, 2TB SSD & 4TB SSD
Display(s) Dell - S3220DGF 32" LED Curved QHD FreeSync Monitor / 50" LCD TV
Case CoolerMaster HAF XB Evo / CM HAF XB Evo
Audio Device(s) Logitech G35 headset
Power Supply 850W SeaSonic X Series / 750W SeaSonic X Series
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Black Microsoft Natural Elite Keyboard
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 / Windows 10 Pro 64
You're evil...

It's a guess on my part, but it feels like a logical flow of things based on how things are currently going and when coupled with the up and coming Holidays it makes sense on a sick, twisted level.

Bottom line is, for these companies - make the investors happy. Make them happy by making more money. Make more money by taking advantage of the situation....every braking news story about a shortage or a pandemic or a natural disaster or a freak accident (like a fire or power outage or explosion) that could, maybe, even when the above mentioned issues don't relate to a company directly.

Breaking news! Metal prices are still on the rise!
Breaking news! The cost of tuna has gone up 150% due to high demand.

Can making company for canned tuna says....tuna prices are increasing! We need to slow down manufacturing of cans so we can increase the bottom line of our product! Cut production by 30%, blame it on the pandemic of worker shortage and higher prices for metal. Increase the cost of our products by 50%.

Granted, this is just a dumb, basic example - but I wouldn't put it past any company out there to make as much money as they can by utilizing all the shit floating around right now.

The wife's parents, they already did their Christmas shopping for the grandkids and finished up with it about a week ago because they understand the issues of technology being in short supply. Are they fools for getting their shopping done so early? Or are they smart and bypass all the other people that'll wait until Black Friday or closer to Christmas?

Fourstaff

Staff member
System Name Orange! // ItchyHands
Processor 3570K // 10400F
Motherboard ASRock z77 Extreme4 // TUF Gaming B460M-Plus
Cooling Stock // Stock
Memory 2x4Gb 1600Mhz CL9 Corsair XMS3 // 2x8Gb 3200 Mhz XPG D41
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ RX 570 // Asus TUF RTX 2070
Storage Samsung 840 250Gb // SX8200 480GB
Display(s) LG 22EA53VQ // Philips 275M QHD
Case NZXT Phantom 410 Black/Orange // Tecware Forge M
Power Supply Corsair CXM500w // CM MWE 600w
I must say this can either go wonderfully or horribly wrong. On one hand, doing detective work and trying to debottleneck the whole supply chain is commendable but on the other hand that opens to further abuse, be it contractual rights or just further gaming from middlemen.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
It's a guess on my part, but it feels like a logical flow of things based on how things are currently going and when coupled with the up and coming Holidays it makes sense on a sick, twisted level.

Bottom line is, for these companies - make the investors happy. Make them happy by making more money. Make more money by taking advantage of the situation....every braking news story about a shortage or a pandemic or a natural disaster or a freak accident (like a fire or power outage or explosion) that could, maybe, even when the above mentioned issues don't relate to a company directly.
I'd say a touch too much tinfoil hat here, but yes, it's no doubt that some companies are taking advantage of the current situation.
However, most issues right now, has nothing to do with any "actual" shortages for most things, instead it appears to be logistics that is holding things up, which in turn leads to further shortages.

As I wrote in a different thread, when everything from fuel prices to the actual shipping containers are hitting record high pricing, plus of course the shipping costs from one continent to another, you end up with certain goods not being shipped, simply because there's no profit to be had and other goods gets a price hike at multiple stages until it reaches the consumer. This doesn't take into consideration labour related issues due to various restrictions or the long queues of freight ships shitting outside various major harbours around the world, waiting to be loaded or unloaded. Even IKEA has been in the news explaining why there are shortages in their stores and the main issue is transportation of the goods, not that the goods can't be made.

The wife's parents, they already did their Christmas shopping for the grandkids and finished up with it about a week ago because they understand the issues of technology being in short supply. Are they fools for getting their shopping done so early? Or are they smart and bypass all the other people that'll wait until Black Friday or closer to Christmas?
I'd say it was a smart move, as Black Friday is not going to be much of an even this year imho.

I must say this can either go wonderfully or horribly wrong. On one hand, doing detective work and trying to debottleneck the whole supply chain is commendable but on the other hand that opens to further abuse, be it contractual rights or just further gaming from middlemen.
Well, I would believe that TSMC has limited options when it comes to re-allocating production schedules, but I think they are trying to make sense of it all, since they're clearly not seeing the same issues as some industries are. At the end of the day, it comes down to what types of contracts that have been signed. It's also not really up to TSMC to prevent something like this, as it should be their customers responsibility. However, I guess ST, NXP, Qualcomm etc. are more than happy to sell as much as they can, just like Nvidia and AMD are, so this also comes down to another bout of greed making business so the poor shareholders can afford to eat...

System Name custom
Processor intel i7 9700
Motherboard asrock taichi z370
Cooling EK-AIO 360 D-RGB
Memory 24G Kingston HyperX Fury 2666mhz
Video Card(s) GTX 2080 Ti FE
Storage SSD 960GB crucial + 2 Crucial 500go SSD + 2TO crucial M2
Display(s) BENQ XL2420T
Case Lian-li o11 dynamic der8auer Edition
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar Essence STX
Power Supply corsair ax1200i
Mouse MX518 legendary edition
Keyboard gigabyte Aivia Osmium
VR HMD PSVR2
Software windows 11
so he say some people are lying to increase/inflate price? shocking news.. ;)

Processor Ryzen 5 5700x
Motherboard B550 Elite
Power Supply MSI 750w
Mouse G502
so he say some people are lying to increase/inflate price? shocking news.. ;)
his problem is paranoia, he's afraid like many predict, this increase in production will end in a surplus of supply.

Last edited:
System Name Odyssey
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700x
Motherboard MSI MEG X570 UNIFY
Cooling EKWB EK-MLC Phoenix 240
Memory Crucial Ballistix Sport AT 3200MHz 32GB
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 5700XT 8 GB
Storage ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1TBx2
Display(s) LG 32GK850F-B
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Tempered Glass
Power Supply SeaSonic PRIME 650W Gold
we got it USA is great and tsmc will be sad because people won't buy new devices every year going forward, but they will buy new cars which intel will equip according to you

I believe a person occupying a significiant position in a company, should be more direct and not getting engaged in gossip. If you know the companies responsible you should name them or do not speak about it. But gossip is so lame.