• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Parent Group Upset Over Wii Gun Controller

System Name Widow
Processor Ryzen 7600x
Motherboard AsRock B650 HDVM.2
Cooling CPU : Corsair Hydro XC7 }{ GPU: EK FC 1080 via Magicool 360 III PRO > Photon 170 (D5)
Memory 32GB Gskill Flare X5
Video Card(s) GTX 1080 TI
Storage Samsung 9series NVM 2TB and Rust
Display(s) Predator X34P/Tempest X270OC @ 120hz / LG W3000h
Case Fractal Define S [Antec Skeleton hanging in hall of fame]
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar Xense with AKG K612 cans on Monacor SA-100
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Razer Naga 2014
Software Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores FFXIV ARR Benchmark 12,883 on i7 2600k 15,098 on AM5 7600x
Ignoring the biased re-print of this information...

The application for the NRA was a brilliant idea. If ya kids are gonna shoot someone, dammit make sure they know how to bloody well shoot!

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
To be honest, i think its good that children learn how to use firearms. not 5 years olds or anything, but say... 12 and up should be allowed to handle air rifles, and 16 and up .22 rifles - single shot, but its a good way to teach them the rules. its the kids who dont learn anything about them in the real world who go nuts when they get one.

B

bassmasta

has anyone tried my test yet? i bet that more than half the people on these forums will have problems doing it in under five days.

KennyT772

System Name Raptor
Processor Intel E8400 Wolfdale @3600
Motherboard Asus P5Q-Pro LGA775
Cooling Zalman CNPS9700
Memory 1024mbx2 Crucial Ballistix DDR800
Video Card(s) XFX 9600GT
Storage Seagate 7200.11 500GB
Display(s) Acer AL2216Wbd and Acer AL1717
Case Gigabyte 3DAurora Black
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Extreme Gamer Faitality
Power Supply OCZ GameXStream 500w
i have a test for you sir. first, let's collect some information.
1. do you live in the southern states, or a near major city such as brooklyn or new york?
2. do you have a criminal record?
3. do you or do you know people who carry/own weapons?

if you answered yes to any of these, you cannot do this test. what is the test? it's simple.

find a firearm in under five days. go on, do it. i don't really care whether or not you can actually do this as we are on the internet and you can't prove it. but consider that MOST criminals are fairly un-educated and have a hard time problem-solving, and as such will have more of a problem with this than you will. oh, btw, the weapon you find can't be legal. any idiot can order one off the internet, so that doesn't count either.

I own two guns, my mom owns a pistol, stepdad two shotguns, father 5 rifles and shotguns... Does this excuse me from the test? I could easily find a firearm in 3 days based on asking around, then breaking and entering. This would provide me with an illegal untraceable firearm.

Alternatively you could loiter in any store that sells amunition, when someone buys shells you follow them home, wait until they leave after that and break in retreiving their weapon.

Most violent criminals are smart people who will go by any means neccisary to acheive their goals.

newbielives

I find your argument a little flawed, I think it's the criminals with underground connections that will have a easy time finding firearms where as goody twoshoe citizens like us posting on a tech forum are the ones that will have a hard time finding firearms.

has anyone tried my test yet? i bet that more than half the people on these forums will have problems doing it in under five days.

Processor Q6600 G0 @ 3.2Ghz
Motherboard Asus p5k-Premium/Black Pearl
Cooling Luna Block, 240mm rad
Memory Patriot Extreme PC2-6400 2x2GB
Video Card(s) Saphire 5850 1GB
Storage 60GB SSD + 2x500GB/1TB/2TB
Display(s) Samsung 226BW and 50" Panasonic S2
Case Silverstone TJ-09
Audio Device(s) X-fi Prelude
Power Supply Enermax Galaxy Dxx 850watt
Software Windows7 32Bit
Benchmark Scores Super Pi 1M 14.333
^^ thats right criminals can easily acess a firearm.. thee are a couple criminals/everything pushers around here with automatic riffles that I know of... humm both of them are in jail atm though lol go figure.

yeah it is possible for you regular joe to find a firearm from the streets but you'll be lucky not to get robbed looking for one I think... now when its through a connections connection elc than thats a different story.

thats how I see it though I havent just gone around trying to find a firearm much but when a friend did it was through connections.. guess you could make connections like that by socializing in bad areas lol.

B

bassmasta

"do you or do you know anyone who carries a firearm?"

if you have the connections, then you know someone. if you just walk up to someone on the street and ask them, they'll shoot you because they think you're a cop.

Case Silverstone TJ-09
Software Windows7 32Bit
I doubt they would just shoot you thinking your a cop cause if your a cop you have back-up.. they would just walk away or more likely tell you to f-off.

depending on how you look who you are elc you might find a firearm wandering the street.. buuy crack get to know peddy crack dealers (puppets). buy some crack off them for a month, they will find you a gun.. but yeah going around in the hood just randomly asking if anyone can hook you up with a gun wont get you one lol.. though I worked with some people who said just go up this street and you can get a gun.. though you'll most likey just wlak into a crackhead who will get you robbed :p

I get what your getting at now, yeah those people who say you can just go into the "hood" and find yourself a gun are prob wrong.. there are guns but non for some stranger to buy... woould be a super rare circumstance atleast in Canada.

Processor AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-870A-UD3 Rev2
Cooling OCZ Vendetta w/Scythe Ultra Kaze 2000RPM Fan
Memory 8 gb Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz 9-9-9-27
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GeForce GTX 570 1280MB Overclocked V2
Storage 3x Seagate Barracuda 1TB
Display(s) 22" Samsung LCD
Case Coolermaster HAF 932
Audio Device(s) Integrated
Power Supply Corsair HX-620 620W
Software Windows 7
Bleh, this argument is so old yet the whingers that are against violence in games can't get anything through their yeast encrusted jello skulls.

Computer game violence is a good thing, it allows people to vent their frustrations onto a graphical medium rather than keeping it in and most likely snapping and going on a killing spree.
Should we have more violent and bloody games? Hell yes! I'm goddamned pissed off that Fallout 3 isn't going to have the whole child killing, drug dealing, alcohol rampaging stuff that made the Fallout world so dark and scary. (Also seems that most companies now have no balls)

Should we have tighter control on games? Yes, yes, oh god, yes. Why are violent games only M15+ or something? most of those kids are still affected by what MTV says and would take some burnt out crack ho's advice as holy writ.

Should shops and companies be blamed for "promoting violence"? No, not at all. Parents nowadays are about as useless as a condom machine in the Vatican. They keep blaming the media and games for their shoddy parenting. When I was a kid, my parents worked damned hard, in most cases, they worked faaaar longer days than almost all the whingers in those groups. I used to watch Robocop, Terminator, and a crapload more violent movies. I ain't a psychopath because 1) I'm wasn't screwed up from the start anyway. and 2) despite the fact that they didn't have much time on their hands, my parents still managed to bring me up well and teach me that real violence ain't good for you or anyone around you.

aximbigfan

System Name QUAD1
Processor Intel Core i7 920
Motherboard Asus P6T SE
Cooling XIGMATEK HDT-S963
Memory OCZ 3 X 1GB Triple Channel
Video Card(s) HIS Radeon HD4670 IceQ
Storage Seagate 250GB 7200RPM SATA
Display(s) Acer AL1916W 19" Widescreen LCD
Case CM Storm Scout
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair 520 Watt
Software Windows XP Pro
1. do you live in the southern states, or a near major city such as brooklyn or new york?

if you answered yes to any of these, you cannot do this test. what is the test? it's simple.

find a firearm in under five days. go on, do it. i don't really care whether or not you can actually do this as we are on the internet and you can't prove it. but consider that MOST criminals are fairly un-educated and have a hard time problem-solving, and as such will have more of a problem with this than you will. oh, btw, the weapon you find can't be legal. any idiot can order one off the internet, so that doesn't count either.

1. no
2. no
3. yes

I know at least 10 people who own/carry guns. me beign one of them. and I dont get the point your your fucking test.

chris

Case Silverstone TJ-09
Software Windows7 32Bit
I think not sure though he was pointing this towards people who say you can find guns on the street.. I worked with people who memtioned just walk up such and such place and you can buy yourself a gun.. I was like heh, but I think they were wrong now that I think about it. :p

yeah so I think he was referrign that to someone who mentioned that "you can find guns on the street" but I havent gone back through the thread to check for sure :p

Wile E

Power User
System Name The ClusterF**k
Processor 980X @ 4Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 BIOS F12
Cooling MCR-320, DDC-1 pump w/Bitspower res top (1/2" fittings), Koolance CPU-360
Memory 3x2GB Mushkin Redlines 1600Mhz 6-8-6-24 1T
Video Card(s) Evga GTX 580
Storage Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB, 2xSeagate 320GB RAID0; 2xSeagate 3TB; 2xSamsung 2TB; Samsung 1.5TB
Display(s) HP LP2475w 24" 1920x1200 IPS
Case Technofront Bench Station
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte into Onkyo SR606 and Polk TSi200's + RM6750
Power Supply ENERMAX Galaxy EVO EGX1250EWT 1250W
Software Win7 Ultimate N x64, OSX 10.8.4
"do you or do you know anyone who carries a firearm?"

if you have the connections, then you know someone. if you just walk up to someone on the street and ask them, they'll shoot you because they think you're a cop.
How many people do you know of that DON'T know of anyone with a firearm? Point being, most people in the US knows someone, or knows someone that knows someone, that has a gun.

And if you walk up to a dealer on the street and ask directly, you deserve to be shot, for being a moron. You ask a connection to ask for you. If you grew up in, or are even just friends with people from the ghetto, you have a connection. I'm willing to bet most people have some sort of connection to the ghetto.

Lastly, what's the point of this test? This test in no way would prove that a real criminal would be unable to get a gun. And whether you want to admit it or not, it's very easy for a real criminal to get a gun. If we were to have no gun carrying rights, where would that leave the general populace in a country that already has plenty of illegal firearms floating around?

Gun control = fail, at least as far as the US is concerned.

B

bassmasta

if you need more than 5 days to find a weapon, you're probably taking a few days off work to do it. if you come back and someone dies, they'll ask questions. as for ppl in the states, the northern states have a much better time controlling weapons compared to the southern states.

KennyT772

System Name Raptor
Processor Intel E8400 Wolfdale @3600
Motherboard Asus P5Q-Pro LGA775
Cooling Zalman CNPS9700
Memory 1024mbx2 Crucial Ballistix DDR800
Video Card(s) XFX 9600GT
Storage Seagate 7200.11 500GB
Display(s) Acer AL2216Wbd and Acer AL1717
Case Gigabyte 3DAurora Black
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Extreme Gamer Faitality
Power Supply OCZ GameXStream 500w
if you need more than 5 days to find a weapon, you're probably taking a few days off work to do it. if you come back and someone dies, they'll ask questions. as for ppl in the states, the northern states have a much better time controlling weapons compared to the southern states.

Not so true. I have more than a couple of friends with parents who own 50+ unregistered weapons. One of my stepdads vietnam buddys has a highend weapons license with many many guns such as m249's m4-a1's ak47's etc. He doesn't have to register his firearms as terms of his license. One call and I could have a M-16 and two crates of freshly pressed ammo.

Wile E

Power User
System Name The ClusterF**k
Processor 980X @ 4Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 BIOS F12
Cooling MCR-320, DDC-1 pump w/Bitspower res top (1/2" fittings), Koolance CPU-360
Memory 3x2GB Mushkin Redlines 1600Mhz 6-8-6-24 1T
Video Card(s) Evga GTX 580
Storage Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB, 2xSeagate 320GB RAID0; 2xSeagate 3TB; 2xSamsung 2TB; Samsung 1.5TB
Display(s) HP LP2475w 24" 1920x1200 IPS
Case Technofront Bench Station
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte into Onkyo SR606 and Polk TSi200's + RM6750
Power Supply ENERMAX Galaxy EVO EGX1250EWT 1250W
Software Win7 Ultimate N x64, OSX 10.8.4
I'm in a northern state. A ghetto is a ghetto, no matter where you go. And again, what does a normal person have to do with a criminal finding a gun? It isn't hard for a normal person to find a gun if they know who to ask, might take longer, but it isn't hard. Where does that leave a real criminal?

The point is, that your point is moot.

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
I can't think of anyone I know who doesn't own at least one firearm.

5 days ? I could probably fine someone to sell me a gun in a day or less.
Private sales of firearms do not require background checks or registration.
If you are smart, however, you will get signed evidence of who bought the gun in case they in turn sell it and it is eventually used in a crime you have proof of sale.

The only thing gun control does it make it harder for law abiding citizens to purchase guns and ammo for legitimate uses (ie. hunting, personal protection). It does nothing to inhibit criminals from attaining them.

B

bassmasta

a normal (by normal, i assume you mean someone who doesn't know what rifle means) person wouldn't know where to find a weapon. then again, i live in canada now. came from africa and my first thought was that these people are retarded... i just never thought i'd get used to it. took me some time to get used to seeing black and white ppl in the same buildings.

HAL7000

Processor AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ Windsor 3.0GHz
Motherboard ECS KA3 MVP
Cooling stock
Memory Mushkin eXtreme Performance 2GB (2 x 1GB)
Video Card(s) X1900GT
Storage SAMSUNG SpinPoint P Series SP2004C 200GB
Display(s) Acer AL2051W 20" 8ms DVI Widescreen LCD Monitor
Case IN WIN IW-F430.RL Red
Audio Device(s) Creative Audigy gamers edition
Power Supply PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Quad - Copper
Software XP Pro w/SP3

This test makes no sense...........it proves nothing. Finding a gun if someone needs one can be done legally. Most educated/uneducated criminals buy their guns legally. Buying a gun on the streets, anyone can do this as long as you have the money and the connections. Going into a bad neighborhood doesn't always mean you're going to find a gun to buy, stereotyping criminals, neighborhoods is very narrow minded thinking.
The saturday night specials are had by bad cops and criminals alike. Gun control is good. We have it. But as long as we have assholes that want to be criminally minded....and use a gun that is innocent of the crime(s)....well again what does your test prove?
By the way, this is for the Wii game controller, and for those assholes that want to try and say it creates a criminally minded person from childhood on up better think about it again and get a life,,,,try taking a area in life that needs policing or speaking out against.
What about the water guns...are they bad as well? It is f==king bullshit for these mundane people with no lives to keep trying to force people to live their boring mundane lives they are apparently unhappy living.
What they really need to do is come out of the closet and admit they game in private…with these controllers…….

B

bassmasta

This test makes no sense...........it proves nothing. Finding a gun if someone needs one can be done legally. Most educated/uneducated criminals buy their guns legally. Buying a gun on the streets, anyone can do this as long as you have the money and the connections. Going into a bad neighborhood doesn't always mean you're going to find a gun to buy, stereotyping criminals, neighborhoods is very narrow minded thinking.
The saturday night specials are had by bad cops and criminals alike. Gun control is good. We have it. But as long as we have assholes that want to be criminally minded....and use a gun that is innocent of the crime(s)....well again what does your test prove?
By the way, this is for the Wii game controller, and for those assholes that want to try and say it creates a criminally minded person from childhood on up better think about it again and get a life,,,,try taking a area in life that needs policing or speaking out against.
What about the water guns...are they bad as well? It is f==king bullshit for these mundane people with no lives to keep trying to force people to live their boring mundane lives they are apparently unhappy living.
What they really need to do is come out of the closet and admit they game in private…with these controllers…….

well, if you're going to kill someone, it's probably not a good idea to use one that's in you name, so a legal weapon won't work. as for the effectiveness of my test, yes, it is flawed, but there are still more people than you would think that can't pull this off in 5 days

HAL7000

Processor AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ Windsor 3.0GHz
Motherboard ECS KA3 MVP
Cooling stock
Memory Mushkin eXtreme Performance 2GB (2 x 1GB)
Video Card(s) X1900GT
Storage SAMSUNG SpinPoint P Series SP2004C 200GB
Display(s) Acer AL2051W 20" 8ms DVI Widescreen LCD Monitor
Case IN WIN IW-F430.RL Red
Audio Device(s) Creative Audigy gamers edition
Power Supply PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Quad - Copper
Software XP Pro w/SP3
well, if you're going to kill someone, it's probably not a good idea to use one that's in you name, so a legal weapon won't work. as for the effectiveness of my test, yes, it is flawed, but there are still more people than you would think that can't pull this off in 5 days

Pull it off..??.....kill someone...?????????? dammm............the bullet can only lead you to the gun....if someone is going to kill someone, a registered gun will kill just as easy. A legal gun or black market gun does not matter. Most guns used in this capacity are wiped clean and then ditched and are rarely found again.

Because this topic was about a Wii game controller in the shape of a gun, and those who were opposed to it sighting that it is creating a generation of future killers.....is just plain nonsense.
How does your test relate to the game controller and its effects on the children/ adults that will use them?
Will they seek out illegal Wii contraband in less than five days?:wtf:

B

bassmasta

no, i think that after the first five posts, this stopped being about the controller. and, even in the middle-east, if a weapon is in your name and you live at the registered address, they can get you from the match between your bullet and weapon serial number. they do not actually need your gun if they have the proper databases set up. canada has these, but i'm not sure about the states.

System Name Livingston
Processor i7-4960HQ
Motherboard macbook prp retina
Cooling Alphacool NexXxoS Monsta (240mm x 120mm x 80mm)
Memory 16Gb
Video Card(s) Zotac Arctic Storm Nvidia 980ti
Display(s) 1x Acer XB270HU, 1x Catleap, 1x Oculus
Benchmark Scores http://www.3dmark.com/fs/770087
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duck_Hunt

research b4 you post something as fact, duckhunt was made in 1984

i think you just got pwned by facts, you can appologize to the person you effectivly called a lier now :)

I did not get powned by facts, I said Ness, as opposed to the superness which is what the poster had said. it was unintentionally unspecified as 90s instead of 80s (because I was not looking at a speecific date, just new it was 80s) the fact was that it was not a sness part. So...chill out lol I never called him a lier, I simply hit a 9 instead of an 8.
If I were to be so bold as to post things as fact that I did not know or look up I would also be so bold as to call someone a lier who said otherwise.