• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Acer Launches D501 Chromebook-Certified USB Type-C Dock

Acer today expanded its range of Works With Chromebook-certified accessories with the Acer USB Type-C Dock D501, a new device that simplifies the process of connecting multiple displays or peripherals to a Chromebook. The dock has undergone significant testing and been verified as meeting Chromebook's compatibility standards in order to assure users that it will work seamlessly with their Chrome OS devices.

The Acer USB Type-C Dock D501 (ADK020) simplifies the process of connecting a Chrome OS Device to up to three extended displays, via DisplayPort and HDMI ports, making it an excellent choice for users who work with large amounts of information and need more screen real-estate than a single device allows. From there, six USB ports (4x USB 3.1 Gen 1 Type-A and 2x USB 3.1 Gen 2 Type-A) offer the flexibility to connect any additional peripherals necessary for a given job. It also supports USB-C Power Delivery to charge devices via a USB-C connection and includes a dedicated Gigabit Ethernet port for wired networking. Of particular note, the dock's firmware can be updated while connected to a Chrome OS Device, ensuring maximum compatibility with the peripherals of today and ensuring that they will be able to be used well into the future.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name Hotbox
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, 110/95/110, PBO +150Mhz, CO -7,-7,-20(x6),
Motherboard ASRock Phantom Gaming B550 ITX/ax
Cooling LOBO + Laing DDC 1T Plus PWM + Corsair XR5 280mm + 2x Arctic P14
Memory 32GB G.Skill FlareX 3200c14 @3800c15
Video Card(s) PowerColor Radeon 6900XT Liquid Devil Ultimate, UC@2250MHz max @~200W
Storage 2TB Adata SX8200 Pro
Display(s) Dell U2711 main, AOC 24P2C secondary
Case SSUPD Meshlicious
Audio Device(s) Optoma Nuforce μDAC 3
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Keychron K3/Cooler Master MasterKeys Pro M w/DSA profile caps
Software Windows 10 Pro
I've noticed several of these announcements in the previous week or so. Any word on how their display outputs work? DP alt mode with a built-in MST hubs? DisplayLink? Something else?

This shouldn't be a thing, it should be USB IF compliant or something like that. Labeling it for chromebooks is stupid, it should just work with anything that supports usb-c with the correct alt-modes and/or displaylink (3 video outs so 2 are more than likely display link)

System Name Hotbox
Video Card(s) PowerColor Radeon 6900XT Liquid Devil Ultimate, UC@2250MHz max @~200W
Case SSUPD Meshlicious
Mouse Logitech G603
Software Windows 10 Pro
This shouldn't be a thing, it should be USB IF compliant or something like that. Labeling it for chromebooks is stupid, it should just work with anything that supports usb-c with the correct alt-modes and/or displaylink (3 video outs so 2 are more than likely display link)
There is no indication that it doesn't, this is just a marketing label. And it's a USB device, of course its USB compliant. That's required. They're likely getting marketing funds from Google in order to label and market these as chromebook compatible.

There is no indication that it doesn't, this is just a marketing label. And it's a USB device, of course its USB compliant. That's required. They're likely getting marketing funds from Google in order to label and market these as chromebook compatible.

I understand that, it's just a marketing gimmick that will certainly sell at least a few extra units to chromebook users that are more likely to be less tech literate to know better, I'm just arguing that it shouldn't be a thing.

System Name Hotbox
Case SSUPD Meshlicious
Mouse Logitech G603
Software Windows 10 Pro
I understand that, it's just a marketing gimmick that will certainly sell at least a few extra units to chromebook users that are more likely to be less tech literate to know better, I'm just arguing that it shouldn't be a thing.
I don't see much of an argument - saying it's "stupid" doesn't do much for me. Is it misleading? No, as these clearly (also) work with Chromebooks. Could this lead people to think they don't work with other PCs? Sure, but... so? USB-C docks are extremely common, I'm sure they'll find another. IMO this just clarifies an unknown: whether or not a dock that presumably uses DisplayLink or similar tech requiring drivers is supported on Chrome OS. Not materially different from brands stamping both Windows and Mac OS logos on their product boxes, just this time it's a full blown marketing partnership.