• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel's Pat Gelsinger Exclaims "Intel is Back" AMD is "Over"

A whole lot of good that does them with the measly profits there and besides, they can't even deliver enough volume anyway. I wouldn't be surprised if next console contract actually goes to Intel, now that they'll have their gpus as well and not to mention their larger (and more reliable) production capacities.

Hi,
Sounds more like reaction releases after having their ass handed to them
And it took two sockets and two chips to finally beat amd hardly a success story Intel lol
They havent beaten AMD just yet. We have not seen proper testing, all we have had so far is Intel SPIN and some dogy benchmark leaks !

System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
When Intel says "we are back" then the first thing I think of is that the old Intel played dirty, bribed/corrupted some OEMs, made illegal impositions on others, was found guilty, and fined.

Intel are back to cheating and playing dirty? I can totally believe it.

System Name Nebulon-B Mk. 4
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard MSi PRO B650M-A WiFi
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock 4
Memory 2x 24 GB Corsair Vengeance EXPO DDR5-6000
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 7800 XT
Storage 2 TB Corsair MP600 GS, 2 TB Corsair MP600 R2, 4 + 8 TB Seagate Barracuda 3.5"
Display(s) Dell S3422DWG, 7" Waveshare touchscreen
Case Kolink Citadel Mesh black
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-750
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2S
Keyboard Logitech G413 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 single-core: 1,800, multi-core: 18,000. Superposition 1080p Extreme: 9,900.
What's the point of all this dick size comparison? Just release Alder Lake, and we'll see for ourselves what's what.

A whole lot of good that does them with the measly profits there and besides, they can't even deliver enough volume anyway. I wouldn't be surprised if next console contract actually goes to Intel, now that they'll have their gpus as well and not to mention their larger (and more reliable) production capacities.
You're ignoring that TSMC has several new fabs in the process of being built around the globe as well. I doubt Intel will be getting anyone's game console business anytime soon. It's far more likely that if either Sony or MS ever do leave AMD, they will be going to Nvidia if their ARM acquisition goes forward.

System Name The Sparing-No-Expense Build
Processor Ryzen 5 5600X
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming Wifi II
Cooling Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black
Memory 32GB: 2x16GB Patriot Viper Steel 3600MHz C18
Video Card(s) NVIDIA RTX 3060Ti Founder's Edition
Storage 500GB 970 Evo Plus NVMe, 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) AOC C24G1 144Hz 24" 1080p Monitor
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO White
Power Supply Seasonic X-650 Gold PSU (SS-650KM3)
Software Windows 11 Home 64-bit
Just release Alder Lake
That's what, a magic wand? What's that going to fix that what, 6 older generations haven't been able to?

if their ARM acquisition goes forward
Doubt it, if some international governing body is interfering. It'll be either severely delayed or outright cancelled.

You're ignoring that TSMC has several new fabs in the process of being built around the globe as well. I doubt Intel will be getting anyone's game console business anytime soon. It's far more likely that if either Sony or MS ever do leave AMD, they will be going to Nvidia if their ARM acquisition goes forward.
And AMD won't have priority at ANY of those new fabs, just like they don't have it now. Regarding consoles going to ARM though, it's possible eventually, but not for at least another cycle.

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
Wow, this turned a bit steamy.

He's probably not your Dad, remember that.

I mean, he has said it now, like most poor Volta moments, I can't help but wonder , who the f#£@ got this past the PR team, push your wares yes, but minimize the likelihood of you looking stupid.

Like EA with Powered by football, for FIFA

I mean wtaf , cheese, powered by cheese, it is beyond ridiculous.

As is Pat's statement.

It's only ridiculous if it turns out to be false and none and I mean, NONE of the info out so far shows any indication of that. With Alder Lake Intel is certain to take a massive lead in single thread and even in multi, only (the more expensive) 5950x is likely to pose any threat as well, so...

Processor R5 5600X
Motherboard ASUS ROG STRIX B550-I GAMING
Cooling Alpenföhn Black Ridge
Memory 2*16GB DDR4-2666 VLP @3800
Video Card(s) EVGA Geforce RTX 3080 XC3
Storage 1TB Samsung 970 Pro, 2TB Intel 660p
Display(s) ASUS PG279Q, Eizo EV2736W
Case Dan Cases A4-SFX
Power Supply Corsair SF600
Mouse Corsair Ironclaw Wireless RGB
Keyboard Corsair K60
VR HMD HTC Vive
That's what, a magic wand? What's that going to fix that what, 6 older generations haven't been able to?
1. Not accounting for Rocket Lake that has its own problems - a new architecture. 5 of the last 6 have been basically Skylake.
2. A manufacturing process that is competitive enough to TSMC-s 7nm.

This is a pretty big step forward.

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
It's only ridiculous if it turns out to be false and none and I mean, NONE of the info out so far shows any indication of that. With Alder Lake Intel is certain to take a massive lead in single thread and even in multi, only (the more expensive) 5950x is likely to pose any threat as well, so...
Regardless of what alder lake achieves, AMD won't be "Over".

That's Ridiculous.

As for arguing with you, no thanks I have been there before , it's dull and completely predictable.

System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
Doubt it, if some international governing body is interfering. It'll be either severely delayed or outright cancelled.
Never underestimate Boris Johnson.
No matter how incompetent you believe the UK government to be, they will disappoint you.

System Name M3401 notebook
Processor 5600H
Motherboard NA
Memory 16GB
Video Card(s) 3050
Storage 500GB SSD
Display(s) 14" OLED screen of the laptop
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores 3050 scores good 15-20% lower than average, despite ASUS's claims that it has uber cooling.
Maybe give out a few more x86 licenses and see how long that lasts.
I think you are underestimating how complicated it is to develop x86 CPUs, let alone compete with established duopoly.

1. Not accounting for Rocket Lake that has its own problems - a new architecture. 5 of the last 6 have been basically Skylake.
2. A manufacturing process that is competitive enough to TSMC-s 7nm.

This is a pretty big step forward.
Yup, Alder Lake is bringing to the table the first real jump in single thread performance in over 6 years (it says a lot about AMD or at least how desperately far behind they were, that they have only been able to match it by now, despite Intel not really advancing since Skylake) and yet certain people (let's call them fans of a certain brand at the least) are crapping all over it with made up or pretend arguments. I think they are in for a world of hurt shortly though... :cool:

System Name Budget Box
Processor Xeon E5-2667v2
Motherboard ASUS P9X79 Pro
Cooling Some cheap tower cooler, I dunno
Memory 32GB 1866-DDR3 ECC
Video Card(s) XFX RX 5600XT
Storage WD NVME 1GB
Display(s) ASUS Pro Art 27"
Case Antec P7 Neo
Based on Intel’s own guidance for 12v2 power delivery, Adler Lake is going to use even more peak current than Canon and Rocket Lakes. It’s going to come at great cost and complexity to beat an existing design that comes no where close to using that kind of juice. And for what? A record CPU-Z score? A 10600K or 5600X will get you all the frames you need to drive a game (if you can afford a GPU), and there are many suitable choices in existence today where multi-thread is your big need. I’m talking designs that don’t peak at over 450W. I don’t see how Intel wouldn’t up the spec on 12v2 unless it was needed to deliver these record scores. If the performance is indeed there, it came at great cost. What really sucks is that this will probably be the future since we’re getting this for 3 straight generations.

Storage 2 TB Corsair MP600 GS, 2 TB Corsair MP600 R2, 4 + 8 TB Seagate Barracuda 3.5"
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 single-core: 1,800, multi-core: 18,000. Superposition 1080p Extreme: 9,900.
It's foolish to form an opinion on a product that hasn't been released.

System Name Hotbox
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, 110/95/110, PBO +150Mhz, CO -7,-7,-20(x6),
Motherboard ASRock Phantom Gaming B550 ITX/ax
Cooling LOBO + Laing DDC 1T Plus PWM + Corsair XR5 280mm + 2x Arctic P14
Memory 32GB G.Skill FlareX 3200c14 @3800c15
Video Card(s) PowerColor Radeon 6900XT Liquid Devil Ultimate, UC@2250MHz max @~200W
Storage 2TB Adata SX8200 Pro
Display(s) Dell U2711 main, AOC 24P2C secondary
Case SSUPD Meshlicious
Audio Device(s) Optoma Nuforce μDAC 3
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Keychron K3/Cooler Master MasterKeys Pro M w/DSA profile caps
Software Windows 10 Pro
Yup, Alder Lake is bringing to the table the first real jump in single thread performance in over 6 years (it says a lot about AMD or at least how desperately far behind they were, that they have only been able to match it by now, despite Intel not really advancing since Skylake) and yet certain people (let's call them fans of a certain brand at the least) are crapping all over it with made up or pretend arguments. I think they are in for a world of hurt shortly though... :cool:
Saying that we can't trust leaks is hardly a "made up argument" - it's the only common sense approach. It's entirely possible that the leaks are accurate, but that again doesn't tell us if they are representative of all usage scenarios, etc. I'm pretty sure Alder Lake will be good (Intel's recent architectures have been, in Ice and Tiger lake), but how good? We have no idea until reviews arrive.

With all this hype and spin the one thing that sticks out in my mind is the new power efficiency of the big little cores . They are supposed to be a much more power efficient setup and yet from what I have read they will still use PL1 125w and PL2 228W. Not much appears to have changed in this space ?
I would have thought it would have come down somewhat ? Mind you its all speculation at this point .

I believe the higher PL2 will be to extract the highest possible multi core performance, but in most other situations, Alder Lake will have a very respectable efficiency (quite possibly better in some than Zen 3, just like Coffee Lake was besting Zen 2 in many scenarios on power usage, despite the higher maximums)

Processor Ryzen 5700x
Motherboard Gigabyte X570S Aero G R1.1 BiosF5g
Cooling Noctua NH-C12P SE14 w/ NF-A15 HS-PWM Fan 1500rpm
Memory Micron DDR4-3200 2x32GB D.S. D.R. (CT2K32G4DFD832A)
Video Card(s) AMD RX 6800 - Asus Tuf
Storage Kingston KC3000 1TB & 2TB & 4TB Corsair LPX
Display(s) LG 27UL550-W (27" 4k)
Case Be Quiet Pure Base 600 (no window)
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220-VB
Power Supply SuperFlower Leadex V Gold Pro 850W ATX Ver2.52
Mouse Mionix Naos Pro
Keyboard Corsair Strafe with browns
Software W10 22H2 Pro x64
I think you are underestimating how complicated it is to develop x86 CPUs, let alone compete with established duopoly.
No. That’s exactly my point. When you are the dominant company in a duopoly it’s not surprising to have an 80% market share.

ideally it would be nice to have 3 or 4 big players with close to equal market share and company size. It would probably on the whole employ more cpu researchers than one company would and probably on a whole help drive cpu advancement a bit more. In theory if they all had fabs it would probably also help reduce supply issues like we have seen with covid and give the customer more choice.

it is also extremely expensive and complicated to enter the automotive market and compete with GM or Toyota or Honda right off the start, but there is a lot more automotive companies. the other part of my point was the cpu market is also hindered by licensing and other such red tape and duopoly barriers, let alone the reason you mentioned. Trying to attract brain power and capital would not be easy for sure.

System Name M3401 notebook
Processor 5600H
Motherboard NA
Memory 16GB
Video Card(s) 3050
Storage 500GB SSD
Display(s) 14" OLED screen of the laptop
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores 3050 scores good 15-20% lower than average, despite ASUS's claims that it has uber cooling.
ideally it would be nice to have 3 or 4 big players with close to equal market share and company size.
But we had that situation, hadn't we?

There is value in fab business becoming B2B thing. It would just be nicer if TSMC was not so far ahead of the rest.
it is also extremely expensive and complicated to enter the automotive market and compete with GM or Toyota or Honda right off the start, but there is a lot more automotive companies.
There are reasons such as "national islands", with, say French people mostly sticking with French brands and it being nearly impossible for others to enter Japanese market.

However, even there we see things getting bigger and bigger.. (as if Hegel/Marx were right about something :))

cpu market is also hindered by licensing and other such red tape and duopoly barriers, let alone the reason you mentioned.
Very good point about barriers. Sadly we see new barriers being created (GSync, CUDA, most of the Apple's crap, that glorified upscaler by NV) and customers eagerly embracing the crap. Heck, the hate towards Epic Store.

The only organization that I would count on changing anything in that regard is EU.
"No more roaming costs, motherfathers!"
"USB-C for all devices, cry us a river, Apple!!!"

US government might intervene if it gets to far, I'm afraid, a both AMD and Intel are US companies.

System Name Skunkworks
Processor 5800x3d
Motherboard x570 unify
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB 3600 mhz
Video Card(s) asrock 6800xt challenger D
Storage Sabarent rocket 4.0 2TB, MX 500 2TB
Display(s) Asus 1440p144 27"
Case Old arse cooler master 932
Power Supply Corsair 1200w platinum
Mouse *squeak*
Keyboard Some old office thing
Software openSUSE tumbleweed/Mint 21.2
Heck, the hate towards Epic Store.
Surprise surprise, when the rich kid buys their way into the club and starts swinging their pocketbook around without any respect for the culture of the club they are joining they get flamed HARD.

Also, refusal to use a platform that is missing tons of features, has terrible software integration, and comes from a company that constantly flip flops on whether the PC is the best platform or a hopeless graveyard run by a CEO with an ego that gives randy pitchford a run for his money is not "hate". It's just common sense.

Oh yeah, and introducing platform exclusivity to the PC with it's generous bribes. In case you havent noticed the PC market does not enjoy that type of toxic segregation and consoles can keep that particular brand of monetization.

System Name Hotbox
Video Card(s) PowerColor Radeon 6900XT Liquid Devil Ultimate, UC@2250MHz max @~200W
Case SSUPD Meshlicious
Mouse Logitech G603
Software Windows 10 Pro
Surprise surprise, when the rich kid buys their way into the club and starts swinging their pocketbook around without any respect for the culture of the club they are joining they get flamed HARD.

Also, refusal to use a platform that is missing tons of features, has terrible software integration, and comes from a company that constantly flip flops on whether the PC is the best platform or a hopeless graveyard run by a CEO with an ego that gives randy pitchford a run for his money is not "hate". It's just common sense.

Oh yeah, and introducing platform exclusivity to the PC with it's generous bribes. In case you havent noticed the PC market does not enjoy that type of toxic segregation and consoles can keep that particular brand of monetization.
It's truly hilarious how much of what you listed there fits Valve just as well as Epic. Not all of it, but a lot.

Software Windows 10 Pro
It's truly hilarious how much of what you listed there fits Valve just as well as Epic. Not all of it, but a lot.
Which part? Steam has tons of features and comes from a company that has been constantly supporting PC as their main platform ever since the storefront's release in 2003 or 2004 (apart from the Steam Deck, but that will also be kind of a PC-Linux port). I'm only not sure about their software integration, as I don't use it combined with any other software, but I imagine it to be flawless (based on other features that I use). Oh, and there's no platform exclusivity with Steam.

Last edited:
System Name Hotbox
Case SSUPD Meshlicious
Mouse Logitech G603
Software Windows 10 Pro
Which part? Steam has tons of features and comes from a company that has been constantly supporting PC as their main platform ever since the storefront's release in 2003 or 2004 (apart from the Steam Deck, but that will also be kind of a PC-Linux port). I'm only not sure about their software integration, as I don't use it combined with any other software, but I imagine it to be flawless (based on other features that I use). Oh, and there's no platform exclusivity with Steam.
Specifically: rich kid swinging their pocketbook around (presenting Epic as if it's meaningfully richer than Valve is just silly - they're both mega-rich corporations); the CEO ego part (yes, Newell is far less visible and loud, but he wholly embraces the way the gaming community deifies him - different personality types, similar levels of ego); the exclusivity argument isn't a direct mirroring, but Steam's de facto monopoly and the inherent threat of losing money if you don't put your game on Steam makes this more than a match for any exclusivity payments Epic has made.

I also haven't seen any indication of Epic being opposed to PC gaming (or flip-flopping) at least since they opened the EGS. Now, two and a half years isn't a lot to go off of, but that argument goes both ways.

I frankly have no idea what software integrates with Steam - in my experience Valve wants their own solutions or none at all. No doubt there is all kinds of stuff I don't know of though. The only integration with EGS that I've come across is GOG Galaxy (which Steam notably lacks official integration with), which works very well.

As for features, we've argued this before at length, but my opinion still stands that features are only valuable if used, and only in the games in which they are used. For example, I like Steam Remote Play, but given that I use it a handful of times a year it's in no way a determining factor for where I buy my games. The impact is minimal. And third party software generally tends to work better for most things (whether that's MMO raid management, in-game voice/chat, or most other stuff), which generally doesn't need platform integration at all. The main function of a game store/launcher is and continues to be the ability to buy, download, update and play games, which EGS does excellently, and it thankfully has the most central add-on feature (which relates directly to core gameplay): cloud saves. Beyond that, store/launcher features are mostly optional, variable from game to game, and complexly interwoven with other third party services. Thus, unless there is a glaring omission (a lack of cloud saves would definitely be this), I don't see the problem with buying games across stores.

I mean, you can argue that EGS lacks features just as you can argue that Steam's UI (and especially the overlay) are hopelessly dated and impractical. Both are true, and neither is a deal-breaker to me. They're just different. And more options = more betterer.