• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Alibaba Goes Anti-x86: Open-Source RISC-V and 128-Core Arm Server Processors on the Horizon

AleksandarK

News Editor
Staff member
With the x86 architecture, large hyperscale cloud providers have been experiencing all sorts of troubles, from high power consumption to the high pricing structure of these processors. Companies like Amazon Web Services (AWS) build their processors based on 3rd party instruction set architecture designs. Today, Alibaba, the Chinese giant, has announced the launch of two processors made in-house to serve everything from edge to central server processing. First in line is the RISC-V-based Xuantie series of processors, which can run anything from AliOS, FreeRTOS, RT-Thread, Linux, Android, etc., to other operating systems as well. These processors are open-source, capable of modest processing capabilities, and designed as IPs that anyone can use. You can check them out on T-Head GitHub repositories here.

The other thing that Alibaba announced is the development of a 128-core custom processor based on the Arm architecture. Called Yitian 710 server SoC, TSMC manufactures it on the company on 5 nm semiconductor node. So far, Alibaba didn't reveal any details about the SoC and what Arm cores are used. However, this signifies that the company seeks technology independence from outside sources and wants to take it all in-house. With custom RISC-V processors for lower-power tasks and custom Arm server CPUs, the whole infrastructure is covered. It is just a matter of time before Alibaba starts to replace x86 makers in full. However, given the significant number of chips that the company needs, it may not happen at any sooner date.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

They probably already do but ARM won't give Alibaba, or CCP, any tech independence they're searching for!

Of course with ARM China under their thumbs they likely won't have to :slap:

Huawei already tried that. Needless to say, they dropped it quickly.

With how high power requirements is needed to progress x86 further, there is no question it'll be replaced with ARM and RISC V, especially since Apple have adapted ARM, the rest of the industry feels like it should follow Apple footsteps.

System Name PCGR
Processor 12400f
Motherboard Asus ROG STRIX B660-I
Cooling Stock Intel Cooler
Memory 2x16GB DDR5 5600 Corsair
Video Card(s) Dell RTX 3080
Storage 1x 512GB Mmoment PCIe 3 NVME 1x 2TB Corsair S70
Display(s) LG 32" 1440p
Case Phanteks Evolve itx
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply 750W Cooler Master sfx
Software Windows 11
Huawei already tried that. Needless to say, they dropped it quickly.

Doesn't mean Alibaba cant. I dont understand this mindset tbh. Because 1 company failed, doesnt mean another will. At that, China has the capabilities to do so since they have both experience in designing and fabricating semiconductors.

Doesn't mean Alibaba cant. I dont understand this mindset tbh. Because 1 company failed, doesnt mean another will. At that, China has the capabilities to do so since they have both experience in designing and fabricating semiconductors.
There is no mindset here. Huawei are 100% backed by the Chinese govt. They have entire cities devoted to R&D. And if they don't see the way forward with ARM, I honestly don't know.
Best of luck to Alibaba, though. Jack is not that friendly with his govt. these days, so who knows?

System Name nope
Processor I3 10100F
Motherboard ATM Gigabyte h410
Cooling Arctic 12 passive
Memory ATM Gskill 1x 8GB NT Series (No Heatspreader bling bling garbage, just Black DIMMS)
Video Card(s) Sapphire HD7770 and EVGA GTX 470 and Zotac GTX 960
Storage 120GB OS SSD, 240GB M2 Sata, 240GB M2 NVME, 300GB HDD, 500GB HDD
Display(s) Nec EA 241 WM
Case Coolermaster whatever
Audio Device(s) Onkyo on TV and Mi Bluetooth on Screen
Power Supply Super Flower Leadx 550W
Mouse Steelseries Rival Fnatic
Keyboard Logitech K270 Wireless
Software Deepin, BSD and 10 LTSC
RISC-V would be interessting.

Fuck this x86 Duopol, like Intel vs AMD :peace:

Yeah Via Franchise alias Xiaoxin, but only on Chinese Market:mad:

System Name Skypas
Processor Intel Core i7-6700
Motherboard Asus H170 Pro Gaming
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212X Turbo
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1060 Gaming X 6GB
Storage Corsair Neutron GTX 120GB + WD Blue 1TB
Display(s) LG 22EA63V
Case Corsair Carbide 400Q
Power Supply Seasonic SS-460FL2 w/ Deepcool XFan 120
Mouse Logitech B100
Keyboard Corsair Vengeance K70
Software Windows 10 Pro (to be replaced by 2025)
Unlike open source software that could be used immediately by practically everyone open source ISA could be really useful only to select individuals

Quite the contradiction wouldn't you say?

ARM China has gone rogue. Stole a bunch of IP and gone dark. ARM cut them off before ARM-China stole the most modern stuff.

EDIT: Apparently there are a bunch of corrections to the above article. Hmmm, I remember reading it a few weeks ago, but now I have to review again. https://www.extremetech.com/computi...tions-of-ip-theft-by-its-arm-china-subsidiary

For now, ARM looks like its solidly a decent core for the Chinese market, being largely controlled by a Chinese-controlled company that is in an adversarial relationship with the original ARM-company.

Last edited:

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
Yeah, but we all know the real issue that is preventing adoption and that is if it can run Crysis.

With how high power requirements is needed to progress x86 further, there is no question it'll be replaced with ARM and RISC V, especially since Apple have adapted ARM, the rest of the industry feels like it should follow Apple footsteps.

Apple's chip is just ARM's instruction set. The fundamental design to the core itself is an Apple-only secret.

ARM cores, such as Neoverse N1, are making incredible strides forward. But they're not Apple's chip by a long shot.

Processor Intel Core i5 8400
Motherboard Gigabyte Z370N-Wifi
Cooling Silverstone AR05
Memory Micron Crucial 16GB DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX1080 G1 Gaming 8G
Storage Micron Crucial MX300 275GB
Display(s) Dell U2415
Case Silverstone RVZ02B
Power Supply Silverstone SSR-SX550
Keyboard Ducky One Red Switch
Software Windows 10 Pro 1909
Everyone and their dogs are making their ARM processors these days

System Name Main
Processor 5900X
Motherboard Asrock 570X Taichi
Memory 32GB
Video Card(s) 6800XT
Display(s) Odyssey C49G95T - 5120 x 1440
RISC-V would be interessting.

Yeah Via Franchise alias Xiaoxin, but only on Chinese Market:mad:
I wouldn't call the server market a x86 duopol.

Amazon have already gone ahead with their graviton processors, MS was allegedly working on ARM CPU's last year and you have the Ampere Computing CPU's (Ampere Altra).
and don't forget that you can still get IBM Power servers if needed also
It is exciting with new tries on RISC-V, and I hope it goes well and they push upstream

System Name Skunkworks
Processor 5800x3d
Motherboard x570 unify
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB 3600 mhz
Video Card(s) asrock 6800xt challenger D
Storage Sabarent rocket 4.0 2TB, MX 500 2TB
Display(s) Asus 1440p144 27"
Case Old arse cooler master 932
Power Supply Corsair 1200w platinum
Mouse *squeak*
Keyboard Some old office thing
Software openSUSE tumbleweed/Mint 21.2
And why, in your mind, do you think ARM and RISC V can approach or exceede x86 IPC without also drawing tons of power. You bring up apple, and funny enough the M1 "beat" AMD and intel mobile parts whiel drawing 25W of power, compared to 15-18w from their competition, while using the 5nm node. All that proved was to approach x86 performance ARM is no more efficient.