• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel's Sapphire Rapids Xeons to Feature up to 64 GB of HBM2e Memory

AleksandarK

News Editor
Staff member
During the Supercomputing (SC) 21 event, Intel has disclosed additional information regarding the company's upcoming Xeon server processor lineup, codenamed Sapphire Rapids. One of the central areas of improvement for the new processor generation is the core architecture based on Golden Cove, the same core found in Alder Lake processors for consumers. However, the only difference between the Golden Cove variant found in Alder Lake and Sapphire Rapids is the amount of L2 (level two) cache. With Alder Lake, Intel equipped each core with 1.25 MB of its L2 cache. However, with Sapphire Rapids, each core receives a 2 MB bank.

One of the most exciting things about the processors, confirmed by Intel today, is the inclusion of High-Bandwidth Memory (HBM). These processors operate with eight memory channels carrying DDR5 memory and offer PCIe Gen5 IO expansion. Intel has confirmed that Sapphire Rapids Xeons will feature up to 64 GB of HBM2E memory, including a few operating modes. The first is a simple HBM caching mode, where the HBM memory acts as a buffer for the installed DDR5. This method is transparent to software and allows easy usage. The second method is Flat Mode, which means that both DDR5 and HBM are used as contiguous address spaces. And finally, there exists an HBM-only mode that utilizes the HBM2E modules as the only system memory, and applications fit inside it. This has numerous benefits, primarily drawn from HBM's performance and reduced latency.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Processor i9 11900k
Motherboard Maximus XII Apex
Cooling Custom Liquid W/ 360x60 Radiator
Memory 32Gb Team XTREEM ARGB 3600 b-die
Video Card(s) Waterblocked MSI RTX 4070
Storage Intel 900p 480Gb + 4tb Intel 670p
Display(s) LG C2 evo 42"
Case Geometric Future Model 8
Audio Device(s) HD58X + Sennheiser GSX 1000
Power Supply Corsair RM 750x
Mouse Steelseries Aerox 5 wired
Keyboard Akko Mod 007b HE
VR HMD Samsung Odyssey+
Software Windows 11
Would be interesting to see a cpu running an os with no ram installed...

Processor R5 5600X
Motherboard ASUS ROG STRIX B550-I GAMING
Cooling Alpenföhn Black Ridge
Memory 2*16GB DDR4-2666 VLP @3800
Video Card(s) EVGA Geforce RTX 3080 XC3
Storage 1TB Samsung 970 Pro, 2TB Intel 660p
Display(s) ASUS PG279Q, Eizo EV2736W
Case Dan Cases A4-SFX
Power Supply Corsair SF600
Mouse Corsair Ironclaw Wireless RGB
Keyboard Corsair K60
VR HMD HTC Vive
Would be interesting to see a cpu running an os with no ram installed...
RAM? At size like 64GB, it would not need storage either :D

AleksandarK

News Editor
Staff member
RAM? At size like 64GB, it would not need storage either :D
Fujitsu A64FX, that powers Fugaku supercomputer, uses 32 GB of HBM as well, and IIRC only uses this for RAM. It has no problems being the fastest pre-exascale supercomputer for now :)

System Name Bro2
Processor Ryzen 5800X
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite
Cooling Corsair h115i pro rgb
Memory 16GB G.Skill Flare X 3200 CL14 @3800Mhz CL16
Video Card(s) Powercolor 6900 XT Red Devil 1.1v@2400Mhz
Storage M.2 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500MB/ Samsung 860 Evo 1TB
Display(s) LG 27UD69 UHD / LG 27GN950
Case Fractal Design G
Audio Device(s) Realtec 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic 750W GOLD
Mouse Logitech G402
Keyboard Logitech slim
Software Windows 10 64 bit
I think this HBM mem in general has a very cool implementations. It would have helped a lot in some cases. Too bad it is quite expensive but maybe it will change?

I am curious how the cache mode will perform. it it's too granular, it might require too much processing power to operate. I suspect they will just cache large chunk of main memory.

For the contiguous, I wonder if it will be shown as NUMA or UMA.

I hope the HBMe only version is a low core count because else, it will be so much memory starved.

Does the memory speed match the cpu? That's what I would like to know. This could put RAM companies out of business if this becomes the norm.

Does the memory speed match the cpu? That's what I would like to know. This could put RAM companies out of business if this becomes the norm.
I wouldn't expect something like this to become available for your average or even high-end desktops any time soon, so I think the future of companies producing RAM is still secure and will be so for quite some time.

I wouldn't expect something like this to become available for your average or even high-end desktops any time soon, so I think the future of companies producing RAM is still secure and will be so for quite some time.
True. However this might be highly beneficial for AMD who's current cpu's are picky about what RAM you are using.

The HBM2e technology that Intel uses on Intel Sapphire Rapids Xeon CPUs is Not new and was "borrowed"
from Intel Knights Landing ( KNL ) Xeon Phi architecture.

On Intel KNL-series CPUs it was called as MCDRAM and here are core features of these CPUs:

Code name: Knights Landing ( KNL )
Process technology: 14nm
On-Package Memory: High Bandwidth MCDRAM ( up to 16GB / bandwidth >400GB/s )
Regular Memory: DDR4 ( up to 384GB / bandwidth > 80GB/s )
Instruction Set Architecture: Intel AVX-512 ( vector length 512-bit )

Supports Memory modes of MCDRAM:
- Cache
- Flat
- Hybrid
- MCDRAM only

Supports Cluster modes:
- All2All
- SNC-2
- SNC-4
- Hemisphere
- Quadrant

I've worked with an Intel KNL-server with Xeon Phi Processor 7210 CPU:

https://ark.intel.com/products/94033/Intel-Xeon-Phi-Processor-7210-16GB-1_30-GHz-64-core

Intel Xeon Phi Processor 7210 ( 16GB, 1.30 GHz, 64 core )
Cores : 64
Processors ( CPUs ) : 256
Threads per core : 4
Peak Processing Power: 2.662 TFLOPs ( Single Precision )

In order to see how Memory- and Cluster-modes worked in "action" take a look at these
two Video Technical Reports ( VTRs ):

Strassen Matrix Multiplication algorithms on Intel KNL Server ( VTR-112 )
( Video Slides 12, 23, 33, 34, 42 and 50 )

Performance of Classic Matrix Multiplication algorithm on a Server System ( VTR-048 )
( Video Slides 25, 28, 29, 32, 33, 34 and 35 )

>>...For the contiguous, I wonder if it will be shown as NUMA...

It supports NUMA.

Last edited: