• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

WD Unveils All New My Book External Storage Solutions

malware

Processor Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 G0 VID: 1.2125
Motherboard GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3P rev.2.0
Cooling Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme + Noctua NF-S12 Fan
Memory 4x1 GB PQI DDR2 PC2-6400
Video Card(s) Colorful iGame Radeon HD 4890 1 GB GDDR5
Storage 2x 500 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 32 MB RAID0
Display(s) BenQ G2400W 24-inch WideScreen LCD
Case Cooler Master COSMOS RC-1000 (sold), Cooler Master HAF-932 (delivered)
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic + Logitech Z-5500 Digital THX
Power Supply Chieftec CFT-1000G-DF 1kW
Software Laptop: Lenovo 3000 N200 C2DT2310/3GB/120GB/GF7300/15.4"/Razer
WD today introduced its smaller, sleeker My Book external storage solutions: My Book Home Edition, My Book Office Edition and My Book Essential Edition. Ranging from 320GB to 1TB, the new My Book models were designed with specific users in mind. Home users will appreciate the automatic and continuous backup of their precious memories on the My Book Home Edition. Office users will rely on the remote access and sharing capabilities of the My Book Office Edition. My Book Essential Edition meets the needs of users who seek simple, instant storage.

Demonstrations of the newly redesigned My Book family of external hard drives may be viewed at WD's booth (No. 864) at the DigitalLife (http://www.digitallife.com) event being held at Javits Center in New York from Sept. 27-30, 2007.

"Just in time for the holidays, we have taken the world's number one selling external hard drive family and redesigned it to solve the particular needs of a diverse customer set," said Jim Welsh, vice president and general manager of WD's branded products and consumer electronics groups. "With the new My Book family, WD delivers meaningful new features such as continuous backup and remote access while enhancing the qualities of elegance and simplicity that made this family of products so popular."

My Book Home Edition for Preserving Precious Memories
My Book Home Edition offers an effortless way to preserve all of life's important milestones -- from baby's first steps to family holiday celebrations -- all captured in digital photos and videos. The elegant, collectable My Book Home Edition takes up no more space than a paperback book and with automatic, continuous backup users can set up the drive to automatically store and backup all of their precious memories.

My Book Home Edition combines:
  • automatic, continuous backup that works in the background and gives peace of mind when it comes to keeping precious memories preserved;
  • synchronization and encryption of data;
  • capacity gauge that shows how much space is available on the drive;
  • drive activity light;
  • environmentally-friendly power-saving design that goes into standby mode after 10 minutes of inactivity and wakes up automatically when you're ready to use the drive;
  • SmartPower feature that powers the drive on and off with the computer;
  • high-performance triple interfaces (USB 2.0, FireWire 400, eSATA) for convenience and compatibility among multiple computers, including both Mac and PC;
  • protected by a 3-year limited warranty;
  • Kensington security slot that works with a Kensington lock kit to secure the drive to your desk; and,
  • Google Toolbar, Google Desktop, and Picasa software.
My Book Office Edition for Protecting Business Assets

My Book Office Edition is the perfect solution for protecting business assets with the ability to back up important data to multiple destinations and synchronize working files to keep them current and secure. Users can set it and forget it; every time a file is changed on the My Book Office Edition, it is automatically backed up. Road warriors will benefit from the ability to access the files on the My Book Office Edition from anywhere with the included Mionet services.

My Book Office Edition is equipped with:
  • automatic, continuous backup that works in the background and gives peace of mind when it comes to preserving critical information;
  • USB 2.0 interface;
  • MioNet DriveAccess that allows users to access this drive from anywhere and securely share the files on it free for the lifetime of the drive;
  • Small Business Tools to take control of a desktop remotely, share a computer screen for online meetings, and gain access to files on any of your computers;
  • synchronization and encryption of data;
  • 3-year limited warranty;
  • capacity gauge;
  • Kensington security slot;
  • SmartPower features; and, Google Toolbar, Google Desktop, and Picasa software.
My Book Office Edition is compatible with both PC and Mac (Windows 2000/XP/Vista and Mac OS X 11.4.8 or later) computers.

My Book Essential Edition for Simple, Instant Storage
My Book Essential Edition offers an effortless way to add more storage capacity to home or office computers. The drives are equipped with a USB 2.0 interface that offers convenience and compatibility among multiple computers; SmartPower features that power the drive on and off with the computer; and a 1-year limited warranty.

Availability and Pricing
My Book Home Edition, My Book Office Edition and My Book Essential Edition storage appliances with capacities ranging from 320GB to 1TB are available now at select retail stores, online retailers and in the United States directly from WD. Estimated pricing for the My Book product family ranges from $129.99 USD to $379.99 USD depending on model and capacity.

A 3-D view and more information on the My Book family of external storage products can be found here.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Grimskull

Processor Intel E8400
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-X48-DQ6
Cooling OCZ Vendetta
Memory 2x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon HD4870
Storage 4x750GB Samsung on 2xRAID0
Display(s) 2 x 20" Samsung redRose 2ms DVI
Case Gigabyte 3D Aurora
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair HX620
Software WIn XP Pro SP3 and Vista Ultimate Dual Boot
I have the older version of the WD My Book. Great HDD, really quite! good product by WD. Good features in the new one also.

System Name Senile
Processor I7-4790K@4.8 GHz 24/7
Motherboard MSI Z97-G45 Gaming
Cooling Be Quiet Pure Rock Air
Memory 16GB 4x4 G.Skill CAS9 2133 Sniper
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE Vega 64
Storage Samsung EVO 500GB / 8 Different WDs / QNAP TS-253 8GB NAS with 2x10Tb WD Blue
Display(s) 34" LG 34CB88-P 21:9 Curved UltraWide QHD (3440*1440) *FREE_SYNC*
Case Rosewill
Audio Device(s) Onboard + HD HDMI
Power Supply Corsair HX750
Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB & G610 Orion Red
Software Win 10
Wonder when someone is going to make an exterior USB raid (not 0) box for data backup/storage? Perhaps it's already out there...

System Name AM5
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard Asrock X670E Taichi
Cooling EK AIO Basic 360
Memory Corsair Vengeance DDR5 5600 64 Gb - XMP1 Profile
Video Card(s) AMD Reference 7900 XTX 24 Gb
Storage Samsung Gen 4 980 1 TB / Samsung 8TB SSD
Display(s) Samsung 34" 240hz 4K
Case Fractal Define R7
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME PX-1300, 1300W 80+ Platinum, Full Modular
I'm thinking about asking for one of these for my birthday; can you install an OS on these?

Processor Ryzen 5900X
Motherboard ASUS Prime X470 Pro
Cooling Arctic liquid freezer II 240
Memory 2 x 16 Gb Gskill Trident Z 3600 Mhz
Video Card(s) MSI Ventus 3060 Ti OC
Storage Samsung 960 EVO 500 Gb / 860 EVO 1 Tb
Display(s) Dell S2719DGF
Case Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Corsair RM850x
Mouse Logitech G703
Keyboard Logitech G513
Software Win 11
yes but using an os trough anything but e-sata would prob be slow and your motherboard has to support the booting of usb hdd devices

effmaster

Processor Core Duo T2250 1.73 GHZ
Memory 2 GB DDR2
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GEForce Go 7600 256 MB
Storage 120 GB
Display(s) 17 inch notebook
Case metallic grey
Audio Device(s) Creative xmod (though that doesnt really count as a sound card lol)
Power Supply power plug and battery
Software Lots of it
yes but using an os trough anything but e-sata would prob be slow and your motherboard has to support the booting of usb hdd devices

Theoretically I think you can run any OS through USB you COULD even do it through a flash drive but it would be slow like batou1986 said

WarEagleAU

Bird of Prey
System Name Pandemic 2020
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 "Gen 2" 2600X
Motherboard AsRock X470 Killer Promontory
Cooling CoolerMaster 240 RGB Master Cooler (Newegg Eggxpert)
Memory 32 GB Geil EVO Portenza DDR4 3200 MHz
Video Card(s) ASUS Radeon RX 580 DirectX 12 DUAL-RX580-O8G 8GB 256-Bit GDDR5 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video C
Storage WD 250 M.2, Corsair P500 M.2, OCZ Trion 500, WD Black 1TB, Assorted others.
Display(s) ASUS MG24UQ Gaming Monitor - 23.6" 4K UHD (3840x2160) , IPS, Adaptive Sync, DisplayWidget
Case Fractal Define R6 C
Audio Device(s) Realtek 5.1 Onboard
Power Supply Corsair RMX 850 Platinum PSU (Newegg Eggxpert)
Mouse Razer Death Adder
Keyboard Corsair K95 Mechanical & Corsair K65 Wired, Wireless, Bluetooth)
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
that has got to be one of the best looking external storage solutions Ive seen. NICE

System Name Woot
Processor AMD FX-9590
Motherboard ASUSTeK m5a99fxpro r2.0
Cooling Corsair H100i gtx
Memory 24GB G.SKILL PC3-12800
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 970GTX
Storage 2X 256GB SANDISK SSD 3X1TB MIXED HD
Display(s) 2x 32" Sony LCD
Case CoolerMaster Storm Trooper
Audio Device(s) 5.1 Surround Onboard
Power Supply Corsair 750W
Mouse Junk
Keyboard Junk
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores Anti-Gigabyte rig!
i wouldnt use one even if i got it for free. western digital makes the worst hard drives ever! i have 5 die on me so far and i have to put up with the clicking sound this 6th one makes every now and then...