• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD to Steer Motherboard Partners Away from Intel WLAN, Toward MediaTek Co-branded Ones

Processor Ryzen 3600
Motherboard X570 I Aorus Pro
Cooling Deepcool AG400
Memory HyperX Fury 2 x 8GB 3200 CL16
Video Card(s) RX 470 Nitro+ 4GB
Storage SX8200 Pro 512 / NV2 512
Display(s) 24G2U
Case NR200P
Power Supply Ion SFX 650
Mouse G703
Keyboard Keychron V1 (Akko Matcha Green) / Apex m500 (gateron milky yellow)
Software W10
Considering what garbage Intel's AX 200 is on my board, I welcome this with open arms.

Processor Ryzen 5700x
Motherboard Gigabyte X570S Aero G R1.1 BiosF5g
Cooling Noctua NH-C12P SE14 w/ NF-A15 HS-PWM Fan 1500rpm
Memory Micron DDR4-3200 2x32GB D.S. D.R. (CT2K32G4DFD832A)
Video Card(s) AMD RX 6800 - Asus Tuf
Storage Kingston KC3000 1TB & 2TB & 4TB Corsair LPX
Display(s) LG 27UL550-W (27" 4k)
Case Be Quiet Pure Base 600 (no window)
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220-VB
Power Supply SuperFlower Leadex V Gold Pro 850W ATX Ver2.52
Mouse Mionix Naos Pro
Keyboard Corsair Strafe with browns
Software W10 22H2 Pro x64
If mediatek is equal or better than Realtek for the same price then whatevs

System Name O-Clock
Processor Intel Core i9-9900K @ 52x/49x 8c8t
Motherboard ASUS Maximus XI Gene
Cooling Corsair H170i Elite Cappelix w/ NF-A14 iPPC IP67 fans
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill TridentZ @3900 MHz CL16
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti XC Black
Storage Samsung 983 ZET 960GB, 2x WD SN850X 4TB
Display(s) Asus VG259QM
Case Corsair 900D
Audio Device(s) beyerdynamic DT 990 600Ω, Asus SupremeFX Hi-Fi 5.25", Elgato Wave 1
Power Supply EVGA 1600 T2 w/ NF-A14 iPPC IP67 fan
Mouse Logitech G403 Wireless (PMW3366)
Keyboard Logitech G910 Stickerbombed
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
Benchmark Scores https://hwbot.org/search/submissions/permalink?userId=92615&cpuId=5773
From my personal experience across several different Realtek and Intel LAN adapters, Intel has had higher performance, and usually does not break with a driver update. Realtek on the other hand, has worse performance at best. Sure you could say that maybe it's just my network setup that's "built different", but I have also been to other friends' houses and helped them with their PC setups too; it's not just my setup, Intel's LAN adapters are just better because they have are always downloadable from Intel's website, whereas with Realtek adapters, usually you are supposed to use the one that is on your motherboard's support page, and I believe this is where the issue stems from. Since you always have customized drivers from the motherboard manufacturers, every manufacturer is making custom driver changes, that increases the variability of successful operation with all Realtek adapters. Not to mention Intel's LAN adapters have much more [useful] settings than Realtek.

Now back on topic, I have no experience with MediaTek, and I have not heard of that company prior to reading this article. RANT: I mean AMD really could just use Intel's LAN adapters and not be stubborn about it but, okay I guess they want to do their best to ensure competition even if it means the consumers will have a shit experience, as was the case with the infamous USB dropout on Ryzen, and I bet you they even will attempt to deny all allegations of LAN problems at the beginning of the launch.

Considering what garbage Intel's AX 200 is on my board, I welcome this with open arms.
Have you installed the from the motherboard manufacturer? Or from Intel? Also check your wifi card's antenna connections (internal and external), even a loose connection will cause problems, and in most cases it's a loose connection on the internal side.

I simply stated that there's nothing wrong with their products. Take it or leave it. Instead you're accusing me of things that didn't happen.
And with that statement, you are trying to set the law of the land. Not everyone's experience is the same as yours, it is absolutely possible that you had a seamless experience while someone else who did everything right is having problems left and right. Because there are logic components on a wifi card, yes there can be faulty cards as well. I could go on and on, but unless you can prove that every single product made by Realtek is free from defects (100% not true btw), you can't just state that and try to write it in stone.

No, it means that 16GB on the Radeon RX 6800 XT will make sure the Radeon will perform better and for much longer period of time than the 10GB GeForce RTX 3080 lol
Why not just have consistent performance from the beginning then? Why would you have to wait years to finally get better performance than its competitor (generalized statement)? There are multiple ways to look at this of course, but from my viewpoint, AMD has a lot of untapped performance on their GPUs because they don't have optimizations from the start. Personally I will never get an AMD GPU as their GPU encoder is straight trash for streaming, but that's a niche thing I guess...

Last edited:
System Name Skunkworks
Processor 5800x3d
Motherboard x570 unify
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB 3600 mhz
Video Card(s) asrock 6800xt challenger D
Storage Sabarent rocket 4.0 2TB, MX 500 2TB
Display(s) Asus 1440p144 27"
Case Old arse cooler master 932
Power Supply Corsair 1200w platinum
Mouse *squeak*
Keyboard Some old office thing
Software openSUSE tumbleweed/Mint 21.2
From my personal experience across several different Realtek and Intel LAN adapters, Intel has had higher performance, and usually does not break with a driver update. Realtek on the other hand, has worse performance at best. Sure you could say that maybe it's just my network setup that's "built different", but I have also been to other friends' houses and helped them with their PC setups too; it's not just my setup, Intel's LAN adapters are just better because they have are always downloadable from Intel's website, whereas with Realtek adapters, usually you are supposed to use the one that is on your motherboard's support page, and I believe this is where the issue stems from. Since you always have customized drivers from the motherboard manufacturers, every manufacturer is making custom driver changes, that increases the variability of successful operation with all Realtek adapters. Not to mention Intel's LAN adapters have much more [useful] settings than Realtek.

Now back on topic, I have no experience with MediaTek, and I have not heard of that company prior to reading this article. RANT: I mean AMD really could just use Intel's LAN adapters and not be stubborn about it but, okay I guess they want to do their best to ensure competition even if it means the consumers will have a shit experience, as was the case with the infamous USB dropout on Ryzen, and I bet you they even will attempt to deny all allegations of LAN problems at the beginning of the launch.

Have you installed the from the motherboard manufacturer? Or from Intel? Also check your wifi card's antenna connections (internal and external), even a loose connection will cause problems, and in most cases it's a loose connection on the internal side.

And with that statement, you are trying to set the law of the land. Not everyone's experience is the same as yours, it is absolutely possible that you had a seamless experience while someone else who did everything right is having problems left and right. Because there are logic components on a wifi card, yes there can be faulty cards as well. I could go on and on, but unless you can prove that every single product made by Realtek is free from defects (100% not true btw), you can't just state that and try to write it in stone.

Why not just have consistent performance from the beginning then? Why would you have to wait years to finally get better performance than its competitor (generalized statement)? There are multiple ways to look at this of course, but from my viewpoint, AMD has a lot of untapped performance on their GPUs because they don't have optimizations from the start. Personally I will never get an AMD GPU as their GPU encoder is straight trash for streaming, but that's a niche thing I guess...
Mediatek is a chinese company most well known for making the chips you find in dirt cheap tablets and phones, like the sub $100 stuff, and is also well known for abandoning product drivers within 1-2 years. Once its on the shelf they move on.

I wouldnt touch a mediatek product.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/5za05v

And your expertise in this matter is?
I never said Realtek was the best out there, but your opinion here doesn't count for much if you've never heard of Mediatek.

Also, Realtek offer up to date LAN drivers for Windows on it's website, but I guess you never bothered to look?

Best of all, if you don't like what's going on, you can still stick to Intel, as no-one is forcing you to buy any of this.

Yeah, nice work there AMD. It would actually put me off buying a board with cheap crap components with awful drivers.

Anyone still having fun waiting for working drivers for the Realtek 2.5GB LAN?

Intel LAN/WLAN/BT are the gold standard for both hardware and software.
I must be supremely lucky then to have one of the worlds rarest Realtek 2,5G LAN on my X570 Aorus Master (v1.0) that has no problems.
As opposed to Intel's 1G LAN that has had DPC latency issues with every new driver or AX200 BT that is unable to detect my S10e. Yeah. Gold standard my ass.
Sorry, but the constantly disconnecting Realtek 2.5GB LAN chip in my Ryzen Asus motherboard would like to heavily disagree with you. It would also like to tell you that if you think this is a one-off problem, with a one-off person who maybe (in your eyes) does not know how to build a computer and install it, is somehow responsible for the problem, then a few thousand more would like to add their little silicon voices to the choir via google search.

I also hear stories about their audio drivers and software being so bad, that Realtek support tells people to use the standard Microsoft driver...
Clearly a motherboard speific problem. Im using their audio drivers that are miles better than Creatve stuff for their expensive soundcards.
Happens on all boards that used this particular chip. Google search backs this up.
No it does not.
Mediatek makes decent chipsets for routers. The only job here - not screw up with drivers.
Mediatek makes the hardware and AMD will provide the drivers.
have realtek added basic features like interrupt moderation to their 2.5 gbit nics?

all my realtek lans still dont have the feature
See the attachment. It's there along with host of other features.

Attachments

• Clipboard.jpg
    Clipboard.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 85
System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches
Software Windows 11 Enterprise (legit), Gentoo Linux x64
I could go on, but I think I have proved my point.
I only know my addin card works fine. Wasn't denying your point beyond that. Maybe the mobos use some differnt realtek chip. *shrugs*

TheLostSwede

News Editor
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
There are at least 3 distinct 2.5Gbit/s Realtek chip variants with 2 separate firmware blobs supported by the mainline Linux driver.
They have at least two PHYs, two PCIe options and three USB 3.x options, which would explain that.

System Name Personal \\ Work - HP EliteBook 840 G6
Processor 7700X \\ i7-8565U
Motherboard Asrock X670E PG Lightning
Cooling Noctua DH-15
Memory G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Black 32GB 6000MHz CL36 \\ 16GB DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) ASUS RoG Strix 1070 Ti \\ Intel UHD Graphics 620
Storage 2x KC3000 2TB, Samsung 970 EVO 512GB \\ OEM 256GB NVMe SSD
Display(s) BenQ XL2411Z \\ FullHD + 2x HP Z24i external screens via docking station
Case Fractal Design Define Arc Midi R2 with window
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150 with Logitech Z533
Power Supply Corsair AX860i
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Corsair K55 RGB PRO
Software Windows 11 \\ Windows 10
Intel is de facto standard in networking. I am not entirely sure this is a good idea.

Intel is de facto standard in networking. I am not entirely sure this is a good idea.
It's not as bad, at least not with 25/40/100+GBit/s. I've seen more (NVIDIA) Mellanox and Broadcom than Intel in those products. But again, just my anecdotal experience ;)

System Name Hotbox
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, 110/95/110, PBO +150Mhz, CO -7,-7,-20(x6),
Motherboard ASRock Phantom Gaming B550 ITX/ax
Cooling LOBO + Laing DDC 1T Plus PWM + Corsair XR5 280mm + 2x Arctic P14
Memory 32GB G.Skill FlareX 3200c14 @3800c15
Video Card(s) PowerColor Radeon 6900XT Liquid Devil Ultimate, UC@2250MHz max @~200W
Storage 2TB Adata SX8200 Pro
Display(s) Dell U2711 main, AOC 24P2C secondary
Case SSUPD Meshlicious
Audio Device(s) Optoma Nuforce μDAC 3
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Keychron K3/Cooler Master MasterKeys Pro M w/DSA profile caps
Software Windows 10 Pro
I really don't care at this point. I used to own a 5700 XT, had lots of issues, saw many people have issues => AMD bad. What's worse is nobody actually tried to help. They all made it seem like I was imagining things or that something else in my PC was broken so they recommended every trick in the book despite me telling them that my system is fine. They kept insisting that there's no way AMD did something wrong.
Who did? That's pretty weird as a response, but then these issues have AFAIK never been fixed or even had their source conclusively identified, which points towards a hardware or firmware bug. The problem was that it seemed to be extremely selective in which other hardware it had to be combined with to appear at all, which made even replicating the errors really hard. I think AMD messed up pretty substantially with that particular GPU, but going from that to "AMD bad" is just poor reasoning still.

System Name Ciel
Processor AMD Ryzen R5 5600X
Motherboard Asus Tuf Gaming B550 Plus
Cooling ID-Cooling 224-XT Basic
Memory 2x 16GB Kingston Fury 3600MHz@3933MHz
Video Card(s) Gainward Ghost 3060 Ti 8GB + Sapphire Pulse RX 6600 8GB
Storage NVMe Kingston KC3000 2TB + NVMe Toshiba KBG40ZNT256G + HDD WD 4TB
Display(s) Gigabyte G27Q + AOC 19'
Case Cougar MX410 Mesh-G
Audio Device(s) Kingston HyperX Cloud Stinger Core 7.1 Wireless PC
Power Supply Aerocool KCAS-500W
Mouse Logitech G203
Keyboard VSG Alnilam
Software Windows 11 x64
Good, better Joy-Con pairing :toast:.
For those that don't know, if you pair Nintendo controllers via Bluetooth on an Intel WiFi+BT chipset, the pairing is weak, you need to disable WiFi to get it working fine. Generic USB dongles don't face this.

Processor Ryzen 3600
Motherboard X570 I Aorus Pro
Cooling Deepcool AG400
Memory HyperX Fury 2 x 8GB 3200 CL16
Video Card(s) RX 470 Nitro+ 4GB
Storage SX8200 Pro 512 / NV2 512
Display(s) 24G2U
Case NR200P
Power Supply Ion SFX 650
Mouse G703
Keyboard Keychron V1 (Akko Matcha Green) / Apex m500 (gateron milky yellow)
Software W10
Yes. I have tried almost everything. Drivers from Intel, drivers from gigabyte. Oldest drivers, newest drivers, drivers in between. Two different ISPs in two different homes (both work fine on a wired conn). Tried changing the protocol from AX to AC, didn't help. Tried a bunch of "fixes" from the official Intel community support, and nothing. And a lot of people are having this same issue so it's not the antenna connectors. Gave up after a couple of months, used cable ever since.

Intel has been pretty reliable when it comes to networking. I hope this RZ660 will be just as good.

Stop.

I had a fairly expensive board (X470-F) on which the Intel onboard NIC just blew out. It started "erratic" meaning it dropped packets and what more all along, at some point the NIC did'nt function anymore. It was even gone from within the BIOS. And weeks later the complete board died. Now a 570 with a Realtek and zero to none issues for more then a year.

I was'nt the only one appearantly. More people with Intel NIC's had these issues. There is or was a faulty batch along the way. Same as with these Atom CPU's that would die one day without any notification.

ARF

If we want progress, then we must abandon the old standards and move on to some new and better ;)

Intel is corruption, greed and bribes - there should be sanctions against their bad business practices.

Processor Core i7-12700k
Motherboard Z690 Aero G D4
Cooling Custom loop water, 3x 420 Rad
Video Card(s) RX 7900 XTX Phantom Gaming
Storage Plextor M10P 2TB
Display(s) InnoCN 27M2V
Case Thermaltake Level 20 XT
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster AE-5 Plus
Power Supply FSP Aurum PT 1200W
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-bit
Intel has been pretty reliable when it comes to networking. I hope this RZ660 will be just as good.
Tell that to the dreadful i225-V 2.5G Ethernet that I am constantly struggling with.
It sometimes refuse to start on a reboot and requires a power cycle.
I have the (3) revision that is supposedly "fixed".

Yeah, nice work there AMD. It would actually put me off buying a board with cheap crap components with awful drivers.

Anyone still having fun waiting for working drivers for the Realtek 2.5GB LAN?

Intel LAN/WLAN/BT are the gold standard for both hardware and software.
Apperently not so gold after all.

System Name The cube
Processor AMD Ryzen 5700g
Motherboard Gigabyte B550M Aorus Elite
Cooling Thermalright ARO-M14
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3800mhz
Video Card(s) Powercolor Radeon RX 6900XT Red Devil
Storage Kingston 1TB NV2| 2x 1TB 2.5" Hitachi 7200rpm | 2TB 2.5" Toshiba USB 3.0
Display(s) Samsung Odyssey G5 32" + LG 24MP59G 24"
Case Chieftec CI-02B-OP
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Extreme Audio PCI-E (SB1040)
Power Supply Corsair HX1200
Mouse Razer Basilisk X Hyperspeed
Keyboard Razer Ornata Chroma
Software Win10 x64 PRO
Benchmark Scores Mobile: Asus Strix Advantage G713QY | Ryzen 7 5900HX | 16GB Micron 3200MHz CL21 | RX 6800M 12GB |
This is in no way a good move... My old Asus FX506IV came with a Realtek wifi card and it had connectivity issues... It would disconnect randomly from my vodafone provided cisco router, as well as my TP-Link router. It was worse with the TP-Link, since I sometimes had to reboot the laptop to get wifi back. In some cases the card would disappear from device manager altogether or show up with an exclamation mark. I've since replaced it with an Intel AC9260 wifi card and had no issues ever since.

My current G713QY has a Mediatek wifi card, and while speed and wifi signal seem to be superior to intel cards I've used so far, it's slow to pick up wifi networks and can take up to 5 minutes after boot to register a network although it says it's connected (connected, no internet).

TheLostSwede

News Editor
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
This is in no way a good move... My old Asus FX506IV came with a Realtek wifi card and it had connectivity issues... It would disconnect randomly from my vodafone provided cisco router, as well as my TP-Link router. It was worse with the TP-Link, since I sometimes had to reboot the laptop to get wifi back. In some cases the card would disappear from device manager altogether or show up with an exclamation mark. I've since replaced it with an Intel AC9260 wifi card and had no issues ever since.

My current G713QY has a Mediatek wifi card, and while speed and wifi signal seem to be superior to intel cards I've used so far, it's slow to pick up wifi networks and can take up to 5 minutes after boot to register a network although it says it's connected (connected, no internet).
With WiFi it actually matters a lot in terms of what chip there is in the router too.
Intel has a known bug in some of its cards that prevent proper operation with some Broadcom solutions and it has never been fixed.

It's possible that Realtek has some similar issues with whatever chips were in your routers. I've used crappy WiFi products from Realtek and I've used ones that work great and the same applies to MTK, Intel, Broadcom and Qualcomm. Asus made a Broadcom based PCIe card that never worked properly, so they simply made a new version and dropped support for the old one. Qualcomm screwed up their first 802.11ac router chipset, told customers that they were SOL, made a new revision and moved on. Yet the old revision ended up in at least three or four products that were on sale.

On top of this, all the WiFi chip makers implement their own "enhancements" to their products that work great if all your products use their chips, but sometimes causes issues in a mixed environment, something that's much more common.

My router and my two APs are all based on Qualcomm hardware and I have zero issues "roaming" between them, something that I know isn't always the case if you have a mix of different solutions. The big problem here is that it's not easy to know what hardware is in your device, which means most consumers just buys whatever they like/can afford and call it a day. Then when there's issues, they blame the manufacturer of the device.

Yes, WiFi should be interoperable between brands, but it's far from perfect.

I really don't care at this point. I used to own a 5700 XT, had lots of issues, saw many people have issues => AMD bad. What's worse is nobody actually tried to help. They all made it seem like I was imagining things or that something else in my PC was broken so they recommended every trick in the book despite me telling them that my system is fine. They kept insisting that there's no way AMD did something wrong.
Anecdotally, my 5700 XT issues were entirely caused by the Zen 2 BIOS update for B450 boards (and other chipsets like X470 were also affected). The first BIOS version to support the then-new Ryzen 3000 series accidentally unlocked PCIe 4.0 on the board, which the 5700 XT defaulted to utilising. Of course, PCIe 4.0 wasn't stable on B450 so I would get frequent game crashes and BSODs.

Disabling auto PCIe in the BIOS and manually setting 3.0 solved all my problems, and later BIOS revisions removed PCIe 4.0 as an option. I'm certainly not the only person to have encountered this either, as Steve from Hardware Unboxed has also mentioned fixing a friend's 5700 XT issues by manually setting PCIe 3.0 in the BIOS. But I imagine there are an awful lot of people out there who didn't update their BIOS after the first Zen 2 version and never worked out the PCIe issue. I think of this every time I hear a story about someone RMAing 5 "faulty" 5700 XTs before switching to an Nvidia card.

D

Deleted member 215115

Anecdotally, my 5700 XT issues were entirely caused by the Zen 2 BIOS update for B450 boards (and other chipsets like X470 were also affected). The first BIOS version to support the then-new Ryzen 3000 series accidentally unlocked PCIe 4.0 on the board, which the 5700 XT defaulted to utilising. Of course, PCIe 4.0 wasn't stable on B450 so I would get frequent game crashes and BSODs.

Disabling auto PCIe in the BIOS and manually setting 3.0 solved all my problems, and later BIOS revisions removed PCIe 4.0 as an option. I'm certainly not the only person to have encountered this either, as Steve from Hardware Unboxed has also mentioned fixing a friend's 5700 XT issues by manually setting PCIe 3.0 in the BIOS. But I imagine there are an awful lot of people out there who didn't update their BIOS after the first Zen 2 version and never worked out the PCIe issue. I think of this every time I hear a story about someone RMAing 5 "faulty" 5700 XTs before switching to an Nvidia card.
I tried everything. And I mean EVERYTHING. I wish it was that easy to fix...

System Name AMDream v2.6.2
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D+TechN AM4, CO-30 all cores
Motherboard Asus Prime B550-Plus w. PCIe USB 3.0/3.1 case connectors card
Cooling 2x240 slim rads, 1x420mm slim rad, 4xEK Vardar Evo RGB, stock case fans
Memory 2x8GB RGB+2x8GB non-RGB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600 CL16
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900XT Reference+Alphacool waterblock+Kryosheet
Storage 2TB SK Hynix Platinum P41+Eluteng NVMe heatsink
Display(s) Xiaomi Mi 2k Gaming Monitor 27” (1440p165 IPS)+VESA arm
Case Lian Li Lancool III White ARGB
Audio Device(s) Creative Inspire P380
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GX-850
Mouse Steelseries Rival original (white), Steelseries Qck+ mousepad
Keyboard Arealer Roarer with white pudding keycaps (Long Hua blue switches)
Software Windows 11 Pro
just my experience:
I switched from an Intel I211-V to a Realtek Gigabit when upgrading my rig from an Asus Prime X470 to a B550, and there’s ZERO difference between the two.
But, looking at earlier posts, I’m glad I only have a Gigabit NIC

System Name Main PC
Processor 13700k
Motherboard Asrock Z690 Steel Legend D4 - Bios 13.02
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S
Memory 32 Gig 3200CL14
Video Card(s) 3080 RTX FE 10G
Storage 1TB 980 PRO (OS, games), 2TB SN850X (games), 2TB DC P4600 (work), 2x 3TB WD Red, 2x 4TB WD Red
Display(s) LG 27GL850
Case Fractal Define R4
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar D2X
Power Supply Antec HCG 750 Gold
Software Windows 10 21H2 LTSC
It's possible that Realtek has some similar issues with whatever chips were in your routers. I've used crappy WiFi products from Realtek and I've used ones that work great and the same applies to MTK, Intel, Broadcom and Qualcomm. Asus made a Broadcom based PCIe card that never worked properly, so they simply made a new version and dropped support for the old one. Qualcomm screwed up their first 802.11ac router chipset, told customers that they were SOL, made a new revision and moved on. Yet the old revision ended up in at least three or four products that were on sale.
Yeah not good practice, that's effectively what happened to me with my MX500 SSD, was just told tough luck, even though the newer revision probably has it fixed.

So not surprised from both Qualcomm and Asus there, its immoral but seems to be standard practice as no one likes doing product recalls or even attempted software fixes.

Luckily I have had few issues with wifi on client devices, replacing a WAP is far cheaper than client devices, consider e.g. laptops often have whitelisted wifi devices so hard to upgrade unless via wifi dongle, and replacing a phone is another example of a expensive upgrade. My Asus RTAC68 was a a bit problematic but thankfully only £20 to replace it with something that works.