• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Samsung Electronics Announces New Advanced Semiconductor Fab Site in Taylor, Texas

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
Samsung Electronics, a world leader in advanced semiconductor technology, today announced that it would build a new semiconductor manufacturing facility in Taylor, Texas. The estimated $17 billion investment in the United States will help boost production of advanced logic semiconductor solutions that power next-generation innovations and technologies.

The new facility will manufacture products based on advanced process technologies for application in areas such as mobile, 5G, high-performance computing (HPC) and artificial intelligence (AI). Samsung remains committed to supporting customers globally by making advanced semiconductor fabrication more accessible and meeting surging demand for leading-edge products.

"As we add a new facility in Taylor, Samsung is laying the groundwork for another important chapter in our future," said Kinam Kim, Vice Chairman and CEO, Samsung Electronics Device Solutions Division. "With greater manufacturing capacity, we will be able to better serve the needs of our customers and contribute to the stability of the global semiconductor supply chain."

"We are also proud to be bringing more jobs and supporting the training and talent development for local communities, as Samsung celebrates 25 years of semiconductor manufacturing in the U.S.," Kim said.

"In addition to our partners in Texas, we are grateful to the Biden Administration for creating an environment that supports companies like Samsung as we work to expand leading-edge semiconductor manufacturing in the U.S.," continued Kim. "We also thank the administration and Congress for their bipartisan support to swiftly enact federal incentives for domestic chip production and innovation."

Groundbreaking will be in the first half of 2022 with the target of having the facility operational in the second half of 2024. The Taylor site will span more than 5 million square meters and is expected to serve as a key location for Samsung's global semiconductor manufacturing capacity along with its latest new production line in Pyeongtaek, South Korea.

The total expected investment of $17 billion, including buildings, property improvements, machinery and equipment, will mark the largest-ever investment made by Samsung in the U.S. This will also bring Samsung's total investment in the U.S. to more than $47 billion since beginning operations in the country in 1978, where the company now has over 20,000 employees across the country.

"Companies like Samsung continue to invest in Texas because of our world-class business climate and exceptional workforce," said Governor Abbott. "Samsung's new semiconductor manufacturing facility in Taylor will bring countless opportunities for hardworking Central Texans and their families and will play a major role in our state's continued exceptionalism in the semiconductor industry. I look forward to expanding our partnership to keep the Lone Star State a leader in advanced technology and a dynamic economic powerhouse."

After reviewing multiple locations within the U.S. for a potential manufacturing site, the decision to invest in Taylor was based on multiple factors, including the local semiconductor ecosystem, infrastructure stability, local government support and community development opportunities. In particular, the proximity to Samsung's current manufacturing site in Austin, about 25 kilometers southwest of Taylor, allows the two locations to share the necessary infrastructure and resources.

This latest expansion of Samsung's U.S. presence is expected to create over 2,000 high-tech jobs directly and thousands of related jobs once the new facility is in full operation. As part of its co-investment in the community, Samsung will also contribute financial support to create a Samsung Skills Center for the Taylor Independent School District (ISD) to help students develop skills for future careers as well as providing internships and recruiting opportunities.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite
Cooling Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE
Memory 2x16 GB Crucial Ballistix 3600 CL16 Rev E @ 3800 CL16
Video Card(s) RTX3080 Ti FE
Storage SX8200 Pro 1 TB, Plextor M6Pro 256 GB, WD Blue 2TB
Display(s) LG 34GN850P-B
Case SilverStone Primera PM01 RGB
Audio Device(s) SoundBlaster G6 | Fidelio X2 | Sennheiser 6XX
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 750W
Mouse Endgame Gear XM1R
Keyboard Wooting Two HE
Mr Kim looks like a CGI render.

System Name Dumbass
Processor AMD Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF gaming B650
Cooling Artic Liquid Freezer 2 - 420mm
Memory G.Skill Sniper 32gb DDR5 6000
Video Card(s) GreenTeam 4070 ti super 16gb
Storage Samsung EVO 500gb & 1Tb, 2tb HDD, 500gb WD Black
Display(s) 1x Nixeus NX_EDG27, 2x Dell S2440L (16:9)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/8 140mm SP Fans
Audio Device(s) onboard (realtek?) - SPKRS:Logitech Z623 200w 2.1
Power Supply Corsair HX1000i
Mouse Steeseries Esports Wireless
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
Benchmark Scores https://i.imgur.com/aoz3vWY.jpg?2
Its not like they had muych of a choice if they still want to be relevant in the USA and not be under scrutiny by NSA, errm, I mean security officers.

• Haha
Reactions: ixi

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Another silicon production facility in the drought ridden southern states, neat. That's going to pan out well in 10 years, but hey, what do I know. I guess if its get too bad they know my tax payer money will fund giant pipes from the 5 great lakes down to them, they already do that for NYC, and talked about it for California on more than one occasion. God forbid we create a symbiosis with our environment and be strategic where we place things, but why do that when you can hit nature with a sledgehammer over and over.

That's ok though, mother nature will get the last laugh, hehehe

Processor Ryzen 5 5700x
Motherboard B550 Elite
Cooling Thermalright Perless Assassin 120 SE
Memory 32GB Fury Beast DDR4 3200Mhz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 3060 ti gaming oc pro
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1TB, WD SN850x 1TB, plus some random HDDs
Display(s) LG 27gp850 1440p 165Hz 27''
Case Lian Li Lancool II performance
Power Supply MSI 750w
Mouse G502
now let's hope they can manage their electricity grid

System Name Sandfiller
Processor I5-10400
Motherboard MSI MPG Z490 GAMING PLUS
Cooling Noctua NH-L9i (92x25mm fan)
Memory 32GB Corsair LPX 2400 Mhz DDR4 CL14
Video Card(s) MSI RX 5700 XT GAMING X
Storage Intel 670P 512GB
Display(s) 2560x1080 LG 29" + 22" LG
Case SS RV02
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster Z
Power Supply Fractal Design IntegraM 650W
Mouse Logitech Triathlon
Keyboard REDRAGON MITRA
Software Windows 11 Home x 64
Choice of location ain't a surprise with so many others leaving California....I ain't livin there, but it seems taxes and housing issues are driving a lot of talent and business out of the state.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Choice of location ain't a surprise with so many others leaving California....I ain't livin there, but it seems taxes and housing issues are driving a lot of talent and business out of the state.

yeah, and there are 49 other states to choose from, 20 of which that have lower taxes than even Texas does. in fact a couple Republican states in the midwest, not only give full tax breaks to new businesses building factories there, they incentivize it with extra whipped cream on top and those states have no future water issues. my guess is, yacht club memberships are involved, hehehe glory be to capitalism indeed! ah what madness is this age I live in? I wonder if the Cosmos will ever show itself in the realms of man?

Processor Ryzen 5 5700x
Motherboard B550 Elite
Power Supply MSI 750w
Mouse G502
yeah, and there are 49 other states to choose from, 20 of which that have lower taxes than even Texas does. in fact a couple Republican states in the midwest, not only give full tax breaks to new businesses building factories there, they incentivize it with extra whipped cream on top and those states have no future water issues. my guess is, yacht club memberships are involved, hehehe glory be to capitalism indeed! ah what madness is this age I live in? I wonder if the Cosmos will ever show itself in the realms of man?

wasn't California more about the culture, good weather, and abundance of skilled workers then taxes?

Space Lynx

Astronaut
wasn't California more about the culture, good weather, and abundance of skilled workers then taxes?

yeah, people hate winter. skilled workers is debatable. most workers you are referring to are eligible for remote working positions, however, most companies are not willing to innovate and advocate for that, I have no idea why, as not having any real estate would be major addition to profit margins. I guess the free markets don't like profit after all. who knows anymore. world has gone mad as far as I am concerned.

System Name Gentoo64 /w Cold Coffee
Processor 9900K 5.2GHz @1.312v
Motherboard MXI APEX
Cooling Raystorm Pro + 1260mm Super Nova
Memory 2x16GB TridentZ 4000-14-14-28-2T @1.6v
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 LiquidX Barrow 3015MHz @1.1v
Storage 660P 1TB, 860 QVO 2TB
Display(s) LG C1 + Predator XB1 QHD
Case Open Benchtable V2
Audio Device(s) SB X-Fi
Power Supply MSI A1000G
Mouse G502
Keyboard G815
Software Gentoo/Windows 10
Benchmark Scores Always only ever very fast
Another Fox-con deal. Didn't pan out well here in WI.

System Name Lightbringer
Processor Ryzen 7 2700X
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X470-F Gaming
Cooling Enermax Liqmax Iii 360mm AIO
Memory G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32GB (8GBx4) 3200Mhz CL 14
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 5700XT Nitro+
Storage Hp EX950 2TB NVMe M.2, HP EX950 1TB NVMe M.2, Samsung 860 EVO 2TB
Display(s) LG 34BK95U-W 34" 5120 x 2160
Case Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic (White)
Power Supply BeQuiet Straight Power 11 850w Gold Rated PSU
Mouse Glorious Model O (Matte White)
Keyboard Royal Kludge RK71
Software Windows 10
Another silicon production facility in the drought ridden southern states, neat. That's going to pan out well in 10 years, but hey, what do I know. I guess if its get too bad they know my tax payer money will fund giant pipes from the 5 great lakes down to them, they already do that for NYC, and talked about it for California on more than one occasion. God forbid we create a symbiosis with our environment and be strategic where we place things, but why do that when you can hit nature with a sledgehammer over and over.

I totally agree with you, and more, but from my own experience on here, you might want to be careful voicing those opinions because you might get in trouble.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
I totally agree with you, and more, but from my own experience on here, you might want to be careful voicing those opinions because you might get in trouble.

If speaking basic logic and reason gets me in trouble, then so be it, that's a world I no longer want to live in. Long live the ancient Philosopher's!

silentbogo

Staff member
System Name WS#1337
Processor Ryzen 7 3800X
Motherboard ASUS X570-PLUS TUF Gaming
Cooling Xigmatek Scylla 240mm AIO
Memory 4x8GB Samsung DDR4 ECC UDIMM
Video Card(s) Inno3D RTX 3070 Ti iChill
Storage ADATA Legend 2TB + ADATA SX8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) Samsung U24E590D (4K/UHD)
Case ghetto CM Cosmos RC-1000
Audio Device(s) ALC1220
Power Supply SeaSonic SSR-550FX (80+ GOLD)
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Modecom Volcano Blade (Kailh choc LP)
VR HMD Google dreamview headset(aka fancy cardboard)
Software Windows 11, Ubuntu 20.04 LTS
now let's hope they can manage their electricity grid
Looks like TX was strategically picked just for that ))) Now it'll be more convenient to blame IC price hikes on power outages and contaminated water.

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.

I see it as a positive since they are bound by our EPA laws even though government overreach is wildly out of control.

Processor Ryzen 5 5700x
Motherboard B550 Elite
Power Supply MSI 750w
Mouse G502
Looks like TX was strategically picked just for that ))) Now it'll be more convenient to blame IC price hikes on power outages and contaminated water.

i really don't know about the Texas water, but it's really strange they pick Texas that has a disaster of an electric grid for what i've read (and not only because of the last "ice age") and i also read that disruptions in power are really bad for this type of fabs
Probably subsidies but that's just my guess

System Name ChoreBoy
Processor 8700k Delided
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 Master
Cooling 420mm Custom Loop
Memory CMK16GX4M2B3000C15 2x8GB @ 3000Mhz
Video Card(s) EVGA 1080 SC
Storage 1TB SX8200, 250GB 850 EVO, 250GB Barracuda
Display(s) Pixio PX329 and Dell E228WFP
Case Fractal R6
Audio Device(s) On-Board
Power Supply 1000w Corsair
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores A million on everything....

Well, it's not like they need trees to make micro chips..... them fuckers are rich enough to where they can just build a desalinization plant if they need fresh water for anything.

Processor i7-3770K
Motherboard Biostar Hi-Fi Z77
Cooling Swiftech H20 (w/Custom External Rad Enclosure)
Memory 16GB DDR3-2400Mhz
Video Card(s) Alienware GTX 1070
Storage 1TB Samsung 850 EVO
Display(s) 32" LG 1440p
Case Cooler Master 690 (w/Mods)
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium
Power Supply Corsair 750-TX
Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard G. Skill Mechanical
Software Windows 10 (X64)
No mention of how much taxpayers are going to be on the hook for? A certain group loves to give taxpayer money to corporations, as long as they can benefit from it.

i really don't know about the Texas water, but it's really strange they pick Texas that has a disaster of an electric grid for what i've read (and not only because of the last "ice age") and i also read that disruptions in power are really bad for this type of fabs
Probably subsidies but that's just my guess
I agree. It is as if last year's outage was not a good reason to avoid Texas. Yet they are doubling down by opening a massive fab in the same location.

You ever ask yourself why businesses are moving to business friendly states ... which most all happen to be located in the southern portion of the US.

California has numerous power outages, super high taxes not to mention Californians are now drinking recycled toilet water. If any US state lacks water its California.

I plan on retiring in western Ukraine ... here's to hoping the water is clean.

If the likes of Tesla and Samsung relocated to say Ohio for example how long before they would be dealing with the union bs?

Last edited:

Space Lynx

Astronaut
If the likes of Tesla and Samsung relocated to say Ohio for example how long before they would be dealing with the union bs?

Indiana touches one of the Great Lakes. It is more Republican percentage wise than Texas, and public record of historical voting proves it.

Well, it's not like they need trees to make micro chips..... them fuckers are rich enough to where they can just build a desalinization plant if they need fresh water for anything.

Doubtful, desalinization plants are historically subsidized by government tax payer money.

Does this mean even more outsiders are moving to Texas? A single person with a salary of $40K/year no longer makes living in safe communities affordable. Gotta pack some heat when going to or leaving your residence.

They were afraid of another outage in the summer, but shortly after they stated that energy conservation was "highly recommended". You should see Las, Colinas in Irving. There's a neighborhood of 4-story apartment complexes. Must be at least 12 communities within walking distance. Oh, and they're building more in that one area. Maybe normal to some, but I like the idea of vacant real estate.

Hell, what am I saying? I'm probably going to apply at this fab. The only thing we can do is blend in.

Looking forward to future news of repeated Texas power grid failures due to slightly below 0 temperatures and loss of silicon production, which will drive consumer prices up.