• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD EPYC Processor Offerings Continue to Grow at AWS With New Instances for General Purpose Compute

AleksandarK

News Editor
Staff member
AMD (NASDAQ: AMD) announced Amazon Web Services, Inc. (AWS) has expanded its AMD EPYC processor-based offerings with the general availability of general-purpose Amazon EC2 M6a instances. The M6a instances are powered by 3rd Gen AMD EPYC processors delivering, according to AWS, up to 35% better price-performance compared to the previous M5a instances and a 10% lower cost than comparable x86-based EC2 instances.

"Our 3rd Gen AMD EPYC processors provide Amazon EC2 users excellent scalability and impressive price-performance compared to previous generation Amazon EC2 M5a instances. This announcement shows our strong collaboration as well as highlights our overall momentum in cloud infrastructure," said Lynn Comp, corporate vice president, Cloud Business, AMD. "Our work with AWS exemplifies our commitment to giving end users innovation and performance for their cloud environments and workloads."

"Amazon EC2 M6a instances, powered by 3rd Gen AMD EPYC processors, are designed to provide our customers with a balance of compute, memory, storage, and network resources and deliver up to 35% better price performance than the previous generation M5a instances," said David Brown, vice president, Amazon EC2, AWS. "Our continued collaboration with AMD enables AWS to meet customer demand and provide our users with flexibility, scalability, and compelling performance and price-performance for their general-purpose workloads."

The Amazon EC2 M6a instances are the first EC2 instances powered by 3rd Gen AMD EPYC CPUs, which are to be followed by additional instances going forward. Compared to the existing M5a instances, M6a takes advantage of the new 'Zen 3' core for better price-performance, and more core density to meet customer demands for increased scalability.

The M6a instances are also:
  • SAP-Certified and ideal for workloads such as web and application servers, back-end servers supporting enterprise applications, micro-services, multi-player gaming servers, caching fleets, as well as for application development environments.
  • Available in ten sizes, with two more instance sizes than M5a (32xlarge and 48xlarge). The 48xlarge size has up to 192 vCPUs and 768 GiB of memory, which is twice that of the largest M5a instance.
  • Available with up to 50 Gbps networking bandwidth, and 40 Gbps to the Amazon Elastic Block Store, which is more than twice that of M5a instances
  • Built on the AWS Nitro System, a combination of dedicated hardware and lightweight hypervisor, which delivers nearly all of the compute and memory resources of the host hardware to the instances.
The latest AWS M6a instances powered by 3rd Gen AMD EPYC processors are available today in AWS US East (Northern Virginia), US West (Oregon), Europe (Ireland), and Asia Pacific (Mumbai) Regions. AWS customers can visit the M6a instances landing page to get started.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit

So up to $5760 per month.. great deal .. for Amazon

i mean isnt it common knowledge by now that aws rates are a scam?

Processor i5-6600K
Motherboard Asus Z170A
Cooling some cheap Cooler Master Hyper 103 or similar
Memory 16GB DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) IGP
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250GB
Display(s) 2x Oldell 24" 1920x1200
Case Bitfenix Nova white windowless non-mesh
Audio Device(s) E-mu 1212m PCI
Power Supply Seasonic G-360
Mouse Logitech Marble trackball, never had a mouse
Keyboard Key Tronic KT2000, no Win key because 1994
Software Oldwin

So up to $5760 per month.. great deal .. for Amazon
Amazon: "We recommend that you use On-Demand Instances for applications with short-term, irregular workloads that cannot be interrupted." So if you're actually paying for 24/7 operation, you're holding it wrong.

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit

Buy two save more

phill

Staff member
System Name Not so complete or overkill - There are others!! Just no room to put! :D
Processor Ryzen Threadripper 3970X
Motherboard Asus Zenith 2 Extreme Alpha
Cooling Lots!! Dual GTX 560 rads with D5 pumps for each rad. One rad for each component
Memory Viper Steel 4 x 16GB DDR4 3600MHz not sure on the timings... Probably still at 2667!! :(
Video Card(s) Asus Strix 3090 with front and rear active full cover water blocks
Storage I'm bound to forget something here - 250GB OS, 2 x 1TB NVME, 2 x 1TB SSD, 4TB SSD, 2 x 8TB HD etc...
Display(s) 3 x Dell 27" S2721DGFA @ 7680 x 1440P @ 144Hz or 165Hz - working on it!!
Case The big Thermaltake that looks like a Case Mods
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA 1600W T2
Mouse Corsair thingy
Keyboard Razer something or other....
VR HMD No headset yet
Software Windows 11 OS... Not a fan!!
Benchmark Scores I've actually never benched it!! Too busy with WCG and FAH and not gaming! :( :( Not OC'd it!! :(
I'll make do with the servers I have, but I'm not going to say no to an Epyc server if someone would like to give me one for free that's the latest and greatest :D :cool: