• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

If going the pad route for CPU/GPU, which one you would suggest? Coollaboratory vs Innovation Cooling

This is why I come here just a little bit and read mostly.

DONT EVER quote me again without putting in the rest of the story. I don't have time for this kind of bullshit.

Let me finish the quote FOR you now.....

Needs larger cooling apparatus!! That is all. (and probably air flow breathage too)

Edit: Get the highest rated wm/k, never mind the colors.

1. I have modded the back chassis added extra holes below both fans
2. I have GT500 IEST cooler pushing 5000 RPM vacuum air below the laptop
3. Gelid paste gave me 98-99c GPU hotspot where is SYY giving me 80-92c max hotspot gpu, so surely SYY is better git in this laptop's cooling solution. But CPU.... while FuzeIce much better than gelid (for example, gelid paste even with GT500 on 5000 rpm, still cpu was stuck 95-97c in 3dmark, now it goes 90-93c, although was better in day one of fuzeice). So I hope SYY will give the CPU better results as it does on GPU.

But between the pads... you have an idea if the red high compressed pads better than the blue pads from IC?

D

Deleted member 185158

Sorry bro, relax.

I saw what you wrote in its entirety. The only part I made a point on is what I quoted. I didnt quote the rest as it isnt needed, as its in your post.
You quoting me was entirely unnecessary.

sneekypeet

Retired Super Moderator
System Name EVA-01
Processor Intel i7 13700K
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus Z690 HERO EVA Edition
Cooling ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 with Noctua Industrial Fans
Memory PAtriot Viper Elite RGB 96GB @ 6000MHz.
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3090 24GB OC EVA Edition
Storage Addlink S95 M.2 PCIe GEN 4x4 2TB
Display(s) Asus ROG SWIFT OLED PG42UQ
Case Thermaltake Core P3 TG
Audio Device(s) Realtek on board > Sony Receiver > Cerwin Vegas
Power Supply be quiet DARK POWER PRO 12 1500W
Mouse ROG STRIX Impact Electro Punk
Keyboard ROG STRIX Scope TKL Electro Punk
Software Windows 11
You quoting me was entirely unnecessary.

Sorry, its a forum feature, which is intended to be used. Feel free to hit me via PM if you'd like to continue your attitude, as I feel it has started to disrupt the thread over something so trivial.

sneekypeet

Retired Super Moderator
System Name EVA-01
Software Windows 11
@sneekypeet @ShrimpBrime > guys, you really should not fight and ruine your day over some thermal pads factory guy.... wish each other a good year and enjoy the the incoming :)

Perfectly fine over here :D Also I edited my previous post to reflect a similar though about this thread.....sorry.

D

Deleted member 185158

1. I have modded the back chassis added extra holes below both fans
2. I have GT500 IEST cooler pushing 5000 RPM vacuum air below the laptop
3. Gelid paste gave me 98-99c GPU hotspot where is SYY giving me 80-92c max hotspot gpu, so surely SYY is better git in this laptop's cooling solution. But CPU.... while FuzeIce much better than gelid (for example, gelid paste even with GT500 on 5000 rpm, still cpu was stuck 95-97c in 3dmark, now it goes 90-93c, although was better in day one of fuzeice). So I hope SYY will give the CPU better results as it does on GPU.

But between the pads... you have an idea if the red high compressed pads better than the blue pads from IC?
I'd stick with pastes honestly. Something that has a thicker consistency and wm/k of 8 or more.

Heat sink in a lap top is designed to the throttle point. I think 2-5c difference between pastes/pads is where you're at now with your modifications in place.

I'd stick with pastes honestly. Something that has a thicker consistency and wm/k of 8 or more.

Heat sink in a lap top is designed to the throttle point. I think 2-5c difference between pastes/pads is where you're at now with your modifications in place.

SYY is 15.8W/MK is thickest paste amongst all 3 pastes mentioned, so yea, gonna give it a shot on CPU, and hope it will do as well as it does on GPU :) and I wont need worry about any other paste or pad again. If you know SFX from ThermalRight, ppl say, SYY very similar in thickness and performance to SFX.

D

Deleted member 185158

SYY is 15.8W/MK is thickest paste amongst all 3 pastes mentioned, so yea, gonna give it a shot on CPU, and hope it will do as well as it does on GPU :) and I wont need worry about any other paste or pad again. If you know SFX from ThermalRight, ppl say, SYY very similar in thickness and performance to SFX.

Just look at thermal paste and thermal pad reviews. You'll see a 2-3c gap difference on the top 15 or 20 pastes. It's negligible in most realities.

Alternative, lower ambient temps. Or sit in the snow ! :)

Perfectly fine over here :D Also I edited my previous post to reflect a similar though about this thread.....sorry.
PM sent. You don't have to edit posts. I quoted them, they won't go away.

Just look at thermal paste and thermal pad reviews. You'll see a 2-3c gap difference on the top 15 or 20 pastes. It's negligible in most realities.

Alternative, lower ambient temps. Or sit in the snow ! :)

Well, I know that haha, but what happened with IceBerg FuzeIce Plus on CPU doesn't make healthy sense, how from initial state (hours after applying) it does so well, I mean 85-88c MAX cpu under loads of CB23 and 3dmark, and next 2 days went to 93-96.5c under same terms. While GPU with SYY on it, kept being as good as first hours of repasting. So I think SYY will do better, maybe iceberg moved a bit/shifted in some areas... SYY should be more resistant to it. Also as additional claim, even CB23 score degraded on 2nd day as temps increased.

sneekypeet

Retired Super Moderator
System Name EVA-01
Software Windows 11
  • very high CPU/GPU temperatures with games and demanding loads (can be somewhat addressed on Manual)
From this review...... https://www.ultrabookreview.com/47438-asus-rog-g15-g513qy-amd-6800m-review/

I know it isnt ideal, but it says that lappy is 180W worth of power needing cooled there.
The review also states the only ways they say to reduce heat was to use armoury crate (asus suite) to adjust the fans, or to disable CPU boost.

As I said, not ideal, but you may be at the limits of that cooling, no matter the paste/pad.
Have you tried simply raising the back of the laptop to allow for better airflow?

• very high CPU/GPU temperatures with games and demanding loads (can be somewhat addressed on Manual)
From this review...... https://www.ultrabookreview.com/47438-asus-rog-g15-g513qy-amd-6800m-review/

I know it isnt ideal, but it says that lappy is 180W worth of power needing cooled there.
The review also states the only ways they say to reduce heat was to use armoury crate (asus suite) to adjust the fans, or to disable CPU boost.

As I said, not ideal, but you may be at the limits of that cooling, no matter the paste/pad.
Have you tried simply raising the back of the laptop to allow for better airflow?

All my cooling gear at max, GT500 at 5000 RPM and laptop fans kick at 6900 RPM :)

See my above explanation, might make some sense into detail:
Well, I know that haha, but what happened with IceBerg FuzeIce Plus on CPU doesn't make healthy sense, how from initial state (hours after applying) it does so well, I mean 85-88c MAX cpu under loads of CB23 and 3dmark, and next 2 days went to 93-96.5c under same terms. While GPU with SYY on it, kept being as good as first hours of repasting. So I think SYY will do better, maybe iceberg moved a bit/shifted in some areas... SYY should be more resistant to it. Also as additional claim, even CB23 score degraded on 2nd day as temps increased.

So even if switch CPU to SYY won't improve, it seems wont degrade below fuzeice either. so can't hurt :)

D

Deleted member 185158

Perhaps the mount was too tight. too loose.... Ambient temps, location, air flow, push out...

Generally pastes are hot when first applied, then temps lower after some burn in. So your's is backwards.

Mounting then I'd presume.

Perhaps the mount was too tight. too loose.... Ambient temps, location, air flow, push out...

Generally pastes are hot when first applied, then temps lower after some burn in. So your's is backwards.

Mounting then I'd presume.

Mount did not change in these 2 days from initial hours of repasting, I did not touch screws or anything.

Metals flex and move through time. The heat and cooling causes it.

So you say, try tighten the screws bit more now after it flexed? but even then, your theory.... why GPU did not degrade with SYY on it and kept same good results but only CPU degraded with fuzeice on it? same cooling chamber on them....one big chamber.

sneekypeet

Retired Super Moderator
System Name EVA-01
Software Windows 11
I have two thoughts here....

Either there is too much power for the cooling, which is what brings you here in general, but, as to paste degrading, is the device being moved at any point from paste application, or is this something that sits on a desk full time?

D

Deleted member 185158

So you say, try tighten the screws bit more now after it flexed? but even then, your theory.... why GPU did not degrade with SYY on it and kept same good results but only CPU degraded with fuzeice on it? same cooling chamber on them....one big chamber.
I'm in the automotive and diesel industry. So understanding torque and clamping force is a must.

There could be a pattern you could try when tightening the screws. Have a look around for torque specs of a certain screw size. If they are spring loaded, you only need to bottom out the screw and with just enough torque to hold it there. the springs apply the clamping force. Springs become weak on one side, it will flex.

This would be no different that torque on head bolts. So if not spring loaded, try different patterns. You can look up torque specs for screws and actually try aiming for that by feel. Maybe 3-5 inch pounds, start in the center and work your way out in a cross pattern.

I have two thoughts here....

Either there is too much power for the cooling, which is what brings you here in general, but, as to paste degrading, is the device being moved at any point from paste application, or is this something that sits on a desk full time?

Since repasting 2 days ago, it is firmly sits on GT500 cooler.

I'm in the automotive and diesel industry. So understanding torque and clamping force is a must.

There could be a pattern you could try when tightening the screws. Have a look around for torque specs of a certain screw size. If they are spring loaded, you only need to bottom out the screw and with just enough torque to hold it there. the springs apply the clamping force. Springs become weak on one side, it will flex.

This would be no different that torque on head bolts. So if not spring loaded, try different patterns. You can look up torque specs for screws and actually try aiming for that by feel. Maybe 3-5 inch pounds, start in the center and work your way out in a cross pattern.

Those are spring included screws and I also applied washers mod to increase spring pressure, all 8 springs with washer on top, 4 springs on cpu, 4 on gpu.

But again, if its a flex, why GPU with SYY paste kept its good performance and CPU with iceberg did not, considering they both under same chamber?

sneekypeet

Retired Super Moderator
System Name EVA-01
Software Windows 11
Since repasting 2 days ago, it is firmly sits on GT500 cooler.

That eliminates at least one thing that would possibly change the mount or pressure.

The only other thing that comes to mind is viscocity, as it is possible it gets too thin after application, and is possibly why there is a ring of TIM around the DIE in your images, unless you are simply applying too much paste and that is actually just squeezed out in the application.

Just opened the chassis and some screws could get a tiny bit more in, while others didn't move any further so I tighten up those.

Results: No help. CPU does the same.

Well, I believe there is a good chance, SYY thickness and viscosity would improve over icebergs. Maybe I placed too less iceberg at some points of die? Maybe, but surely when I will apply SYY, I will make sure no missing spots or too thin spots.

P.s. seems cpu temp got even worst now after tighten of few screws :/