• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Phison Unveils E26, the Company's First PCIe Gen5 Controller for High-end Desktop Gaming

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
Phison Electronics Corp., a global leader in NAND flash controller integrated circuits and storage solutions, will showcase its lineup of next-generation gaming solutions for customers, partners, media and other interested parties during CES 2022, January 5-8 exclusively by private virtual demos. The new-class of solutions include the company's first PCIe Gen5 controller for high-end desktop gaming, a future high-performance Gen4 solution, and demonstration of the next-generation game workload coming soon to PCs.

Phison, the leader in gaming-optimized SSDs pushes the boundaries of performance. The company's solutions power seamless experiences for modern console, desktop/notebook and mobile gaming, which are delivered to consumers through an extensive and diverse group of partners.

Update Jan 4th: Added presentation slides, product images and closeups of the PCB designs.

Highlighted gaming products Phison will preview on the virtual demos include:

PS5026-E26 - Phison's First PCIe Gen5 SSD Architecture
The E26 SSD solution is the best-in-class combination of performance and low-power using Phison's unique architecture. E26 is a customizable SSD platform designed for PCIe Gen5 that will span enterprise and consumer markets. The company's first Gen5 controller will ship in multiple form factors and features with the ability to scale beyond 10 GB/s while meeting power requirements for all-day computing. Phison will show the E26 for the first time at CES 2022.

PS5021-E21T - Phison's New High-Performance PCIe Gen4 DRAM-less Solution
The E21T demonstration will show Phison's new DRAM-less architecture as the future leader in next-generation mobile gaming. The E21T, the successor to the E19T, and E21T BGA, the successor to the E13T, break throughput performance barriers using the Gen4 interface to sets new standards in the user experience.

PS5013-E13T - Phison's BGA for Mobile Gaming
Xiaomi chose Phison's E13T BGA SSD and its superior performance and efficiency for the Black Shark 4 gaming phone series. Xiaomi credits the E13T BGA for delivering a 69 percent increase in read and write performance showing that NVMe redefines mobile gaming. Phison will show the Xiaomi Black Shark 4 during CES 2022 in a first-person Zoom demonstration.

Below you'll find the full presentation deck that Phison was planning to show during their in-person CES briefings.

The "Next Generation Gaming Workload" is an interesting slide. It shows a synthetic test scenario that mimics what Phison expects we'll be seeing with Microsoft's DirectStorage (they were careful to not use that name). Games are expected to stream in large amounts of data from storage, continuously, while you play the game. They tested their own controller against other major competitors and found that these exhibit some spiking over the course of a multi-hour test, which could manifest in stuttering. At this time I'm not 100% convinced, we'll see if this will actually have any effect on the gameplay experience—not much is finalized yet at this stage of development.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Processor Ryzen 3600
Motherboard X570 I Aorus Pro
Cooling Deepcool AG400
Memory HyperX Fury 2 x 8GB 3200 CL16
Video Card(s) RX 470 Nitro+ 4GB
Storage SX8200 Pro 512 / NV2 512
Display(s) 24G2U
Case NR200P
Power Supply Ion SFX 650
Mouse G703
Keyboard Keychron V1 (Akko Matcha Green) / Apex m500 (gateron milky yellow)
Software W10
What a load of PR BS.
PC gaming can barely utilize pcie 3.0 ssd speeds, let alone 5.0

Processor Ryzen 3600
Cooling Deepcool AG400
Display(s) 24G2U
Case NR200P
Power Supply Ion SFX 650
Mouse G703
Software W10
We've been hearing about various dx ultimate features for years. Nothing is being used to any reasonable amount.
You'll have to excuse me for not believing the hype...

System Name Dumbass
Processor AMD Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF gaming B650
Cooling Artic Liquid Freezer 2 - 420mm
Memory G.Skill Sniper 32gb DDR5 6000
Video Card(s) GreenTeam 4070 ti super 16gb
Storage Samsung EVO 500gb & 1Tb, 2tb HDD, 500gb WD Black
Display(s) 1x Nixeus NX_EDG27, 2x Dell S2440L (16:9)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/8 140mm SP Fans
Audio Device(s) onboard (realtek?) - SPKRS:Logitech Z623 200w 2.1
Power Supply Corsair HX1000i
Mouse Steeseries Esports Wireless
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
Benchmark Scores https://i.imgur.com/aoz3vWY.jpg?2
You may want to read up on what is coming to PC gaming in DirectX 12 Ultimate :)

The media will see the demo in a few days. I think your thoughts about PC gaming and storage will change then.
reference link? or is that a speculative carrot?

There is only a 2 second difference in load times between an entry-level SATA SSD and the absolute fastest PCIe 4.0 NVMe drive. That says it all.

So, any PCIe 5.0 NVMe drive might improve loading time for another second or two. Nothing significant to warranty the purchase of super expensive PCIe 5.0 NVMe drive. It's an artificial marketing push. Plus, there are no native M.2 PCIe 5.0 slots for next gen NVMe drives and no CPU supports it natively. Only very expensive Z690 motherboards have two PCIe 5.0 slots for GPUs, so theoretically GPU can go into one slot and run at x8 and PCIe 5.0 NVMe adapter could be installed into another one to run at x8 too. But this is not needed for loading games. A complete overkill for many years.

Here is a thorough review by Hardware Unboxed of general performance and loading times for games by SATA SSDs and NVMe SSDs. It says it all.

It's simple. Those gamers who have never bought a SSD drive will hugely benefit from moving to an entry SATA SSD or entry level PCIe 3.0 NMVe SSD, for loading time. No need to spend hard earned money on massively expensive PCIe 5.0 NVMe drive.

Those who already have any SATA SSD as boot drive and storage for gaming, there is absolutely no reason to purchase a new speedy drive, as benefits will be negligible. Until games' engines are not optimised to better use PCIe SSD drives, there is no need to buy even PCIe 3.0 NVMe for loading games, let alone PCIe 5.0 NVMe drive.

AsRock

TPU addict
Processor AMD 3900X \ AMD 7700X
Motherboard ASRock AM4 X570 Pro 4 \ ASUS X670Xe TUF
Cooling D15
Memory Patriot 2x16GB PVS432G320C6K \ G.Skill Flare X5 F5-6000J3238F 2x16GB
Video Card(s) eVga GTX1060 SSC \ XFX RX 6950XT RX-695XATBD9
Storage Sammy 860, MX500, Sabrent Rocket 4 Sammy Evo 980 \ 1xSabrent Rocket 4+, Sammy 2x990 Pro
Display(s) Samsung 1080P \ LG 43UN700
Case Fractal Design Pop Air 2x140mm fans from Torrent \ Fractal Design Torrent 2 SilverStone FHP141x2
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V677 \ Yamaha CX-830+Yamaha MX-630 Infinity RS4000\Paradigm P Studio 20, Blue Yeti
Power Supply Seasonic Prime TX-750 \ Corsair RM1000X Shift
Mouse Steelseries Sensei wireless \ Steelseries Sensei wireless
Keyboard Logitech K120 \ Wooting Two HE
Benchmark Scores Meh benchmarks.
"Faster" load times so even less chance of reading the loading game tips hehe.

System Name loon v4.0
Processor i7-11700K
Motherboard asus Z590TUF+wifi
Cooling Custom Loop
Memory ballistix 3600 cl16
Video Card(s) eVga 3060 xc
Storage WD sn570 1tb(nvme) SanDisk ultra 2tb(sata)
Display(s) cheap 1080&4K 60hz
Case Roswell Stryker
Power Supply eVGA supernova 750 G6
Mouse eats cheese
Keyboard warrior!
Benchmark Scores https://www.3dmark.com/spy/21765182 https://www.3dmark.com/pr/1114767
You may want to read up on what is coming to PC gaming in DirectX 12 Ultimate :)

The media will see the demo in a few days. I think your thoughts about PC gaming and storage will change then.
so let me get this straight: MS announced in sept of 2020 that directX will be released/available in 2021 and now 2022 there is a demo?

yeah, i ain't holding my breath. it sorta pisses me off to buy a motherboard w/DS in mind and the extra NVE slot is still useless. :banghead:

I get it, Direct Storage is going to change things. But it's hard to be excited for Gen 5 when SATA is still "good enough" for gaming. Look at the massive gulf in specs between the best SATA drives and the best PCIe Gen 4 drives, and then look at the very small real-world load-time reductions between those two. And Gen 5's supposed to be 2x faster again? No matter how magical Direct Storage ends up being, it's hard to imagine that it will be able to tap into the full potential of a Gen 5 drive. I look forward to seeing whatever demo is happening in a few days, but I think I'll wait until some TPU reviews drop before reevaluating my stance. :)

reference link? or is that a speculative carrot?
Inside info, most likely. Look at the text under the user's name :p

System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.

Heya, good to see someone from Phison in here.

Presumably the E26 is an eight-channel controller and we're currently limited by the bandwidth of the NAND packages themselves. Micron and Samsung hide their BGA package datasheets behind an account login - are you able to give us an idea of the current channel bandwidth of a typical consumer-level NAND package? I'm just curious how much performance PCIe Gen4 is leaving on the table at the moment....

System Name loon v4.0
Processor i7-11700K
Cooling Custom Loop
Case Roswell Stryker
Mouse eats cheese
Keyboard warrior!
Benchmark Scores https://www.3dmark.com/spy/21765182 https://www.3dmark.com/pr/1114767
Inside info, most likely. Look at the text under the user's name :p
since they didn't start with: "i'm sorry you . . ." only means they aren't script reading CS reps nothing more.

Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Case Veddha T2
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
so let me get this straight: MS announced in sept of 2020 that directX will be released/available in 2021 and now 2022 there is a demo?

yeah, i ain't holding my breath. it sorta pisses me off to buy a motherboard w/DS in mind and the extra NVE slot is still useless. :banghead:
DirectStorage is almost as overdue as the Intel Arc GPUs at this point. If there's nothing concrete soon it'll get branded vaporware.

Shiny new DirectStorage features are great but unless I misunderstand the technology it won't be retroactively applied to current games, it's something that needs to be incorporated by the developer. That means that once DirectStorage is officially released, there will be a delay for many developers to stick their neck out on an unproven new technology, and then there will be another delay until those developers release their first major game that takes advantage of DirectStorage.

Like Nvidia RTX, it will probably be 2-3 years after the launch until we see more than a handful of games with proper support. For the first year or two we'll just get a small handful of game devs adoptingt he tech as Nvidia assists/pays/cajoles them into including it to showcase the new feature. So, 3-4 years after being encouraged to buy hardware capable of DirectStorage, we'll get the first glimpse of it actually working. I don't know about you, but high-end buyers of PCIe 4.0 boards and RTX cards may well have upgraded that hardware within the 3-4 year window!

Last edited:
System Name loon v4.0
Processor i7-11700K
Cooling Custom Loop
Case Roswell Stryker
Mouse eats cheese
Keyboard warrior!
Like Nvidia RTX, it will probably be 2-3 years after the launch until . . !
NV didn't announce RTX years before it was released. so yeah apple to oranges. you wanna talk APIs, how about AMD bringing async compute to market long before DX12? VRR is another feature i could cite . .

bottom line, after close to two years, there is NOTHING! that anyone should buy. the hype is bullshit (esp for gamerz). :sleep: moving on . .

Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Case Veddha T2
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
NV didn't announce RTX years before it was released. so yeah apple to oranges. you wanna talk APIs, how about AMD bringing async compute to market long before DX12? VRR is another feature i could cite . .

bottom line, after close to two years, there is NOTHING! that anyone should buy. the hype is bullshit (esp for gamerz). :sleep: moving on . .
What? That's not what I wrote at all.
RTX was announced shortly before it was released, You're confusing announcing something with launching something. Those are two very different things indeed.
All I'm saying about RTX is that for the first couple of years there weren't many games using it, and most of those that were using it were incentivised by Nvidia to do so.

System Name loon v4.0
Processor i7-11700K
Cooling Custom Loop
Case Roswell Stryker
Mouse eats cheese
Keyboard warrior!
What? That's not what I wrote at all.
RTX was announced shortly before it was released, You're confusing announcing something with launching something. Those are two very different things indeed.
All I'm saying about RTX is that for the first couple of years there weren't many games using it, and most of those that were using it were incentivised by Nvidia to do so..
NV marketed and had hardware/driver support for ray tracing beforel dx12 ultimate, AMD with async compute before DX12. both weren't widely available but directed the market. their were games that supported both, widely or not.

the deal with hardware vendors telling *us* to wait for MS is bullshit.

Chris_Ramseyer

Phison Rep
No one wants to wait and I'm right there with you. The industry is a machine and we just make one piece. My job is just to make sure our piece is the fastest you can buy.

E26 supports memory bus speeds up to 2400MT/s. The fastest shipping today is 1600MT/s. The increase in memory bus speed will decrease latency so you will see the performance.

One thing I want to note about what was said above. Many of the SATA vs. NVMe tests were ran on first generation NVMe drives that used the same flash (and same memory bus speeds) as the SATA products shipping at the time. That is why the results were so close together. Run a SATA SSD against something like the Kingston KC3000 or Seagate FireCuda 530 using modern flash and a high-performance E18 controller and you will be surprised at the difference.

System Name loon v4.0
Processor i7-11700K
Cooling Custom Loop
Case Roswell Stryker
Mouse eats cheese
Keyboard warrior!
No one wants to wait and I'm right there with you. The industry is a machine and we just make one piece. My job is just to make sure our piece is the fastest you can buy.
if you only make "one piece of hardware", you're now telling the whole industry it's direction? as i mentioned w/ray tracing and async compute where hardware vendor directed the market but it seems missing here.
E26 supports memory bus speeds up to 2400MT/s. The fastest shipping today is 1600MT/s. The increase in memory bus speed will decrease latency so you will see the performance.

One thing I want to note about what was said above. Many of the SATA vs. NVMe tests were ran on first generation NVMe drives that used the same flash (and same memory bus speeds) as the SATA products shipping at the time. That is why the results were so close together. Run a SATA SSD against something like the Kingston KC3000 or Seagate FireCuda 530 using modern flash and a high-performance E18 controller and you will be surprised at the difference.
nice but you still haven't given any gamers proof why - esp. in real world usage.
e:
how about you but YOUR "money where your mouth is", like i did buying a different motherboard, and bring forth a MS supported direct storage to market? eh?

Last edited:

Chris_Ramseyer

Phison Rep
Obviously I can't tell you everything I know about it due to NDAs but I can say the entire industry is in meetings every week over this topic. If it wasn't coming, we wouldn't have anything to talk about. :)

Real world usage with consumer workloads is 4KB QD1-4 random reads. The memory bus speed (flash to controller) has a direct impact on that in real world application performance. That said, I did explain "why - esp. in real world usage." The reason why is because the new flash increases the speed between the memory and the controller and that reduces latency.

The last one is my favorite. Phison has publicly stated we spent 30 million Dollars to bring the first PCIe Gen4 SSD to market. I would say that is putting our money where our mouth is. We haven't released a number on Gen5 development but from 2018 to 2020 we added an additional 400+ people to our R&D department (engineers).

System Name Home
Processor Ryzen 3600
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus B550 Pro
Cooling Bykski Ryzen Waterblock + BlackIce Pro 360 radiator + D5 variable pump + Corsair HD120 x 4
Memory 16 GB G.Skill RIPJAWS @ 4000Mhz 18-22-22
Video Card(s) ASUS Strix 1080Ti with Bykski Waterblock
Storage 2x 970 EVO Plus 1tb + 960GB Sandisk Extreme Pro SSD + 4TB WD Black + 3 TB Other
Display(s) Samsung 40KU6300 UHD TV
Case CoolerMaster HAF-X
Audio Device(s) ASUS Xonar Essence STX + Audio-Technica ATH-M50x
Power Supply Corsair RM850
Mouse Logitech G304 + Razer Goliathus Speed mouse pad
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow Chroma RGB
VR HMD Oculus Rift CV1
Software Windows 10/High Sierra Dual Boot
if you only make "one piece of hardware", you're now telling the whole industry it's direction? as i mentioned w/ray tracing and async compute where hardware vendor directed the market but it seems missing here.

nice but you still haven't given any gamers proof why - esp. in real world usage.
e:
how about you but YOUR "money where your mouth is", like i did buying a different motherboard, and bring forth a MS supported direct storage to market? eh?
how about just be happy and excited that something new is coming out?

Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite
Cooling Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE
Memory 2x16 GB Crucial Ballistix 3600 CL16 Rev E @ 3800 CL16
Video Card(s) RTX3080 Ti FE
Storage SX8200 Pro 1 TB, Plextor M6Pro 256 GB, WD Blue 2TB
Display(s) LG 34GN850P-B
Case SilverStone Primera PM01 RGB
Audio Device(s) SoundBlaster G6 | Fidelio X2 | Sennheiser 6XX
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 750W
Mouse Endgame Gear XM1R
Keyboard Wooting Two HE
Anyone remembers what's the status on Direct Storage? Is it still exclusive do W11 or will MS enable it for W10?

System Name Predator
Processor Ryzen 7 3700X
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450i Gaming ITX
Cooling Custom Water
Memory G.Skill Trident Z 3200 (OC-3600 CL 16)
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3070 UC3 GAMING ULTRA 8G
Storage Crucial P1 1TB NVMe SSD
Display(s) AOC AGON AG271QX 27" LED 1440p 144hz
Case Phanteks Entoo Evolv ITX
Power Supply Corsair RM850
Mouse Patriot Viper V560
Keyboard Patriot Viper V760
Software Win 10 Pro 64bit
What a load of PR BS.
PC gaming can barely utilize pcie 3.0 ssd speeds, let alone 5.0
The world doesn't revolve around PC Gamers. There are tons of other applications that can take advantage of blazing fast storage.

System Name loon v4.0
Processor i7-11700K
Cooling Custom Loop
Case Roswell Stryker
Mouse eats cheese
Keyboard warrior!
how about just be happy and excited that something new is coming out?
i was happy and excited in sept of 2020. jan of 2022 is another story. sorry.

System Name Dumbass
Processor AMD Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF gaming B650
Cooling Artic Liquid Freezer 2 - 420mm
Memory G.Skill Sniper 32gb DDR5 6000
Video Card(s) GreenTeam 4070 ti super 16gb
Storage Samsung EVO 500gb & 1Tb, 2tb HDD, 500gb WD Black
Display(s) 1x Nixeus NX_EDG27, 2x Dell S2440L (16:9)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/8 140mm SP Fans
Audio Device(s) onboard (realtek?) - SPKRS:Logitech Z623 200w 2.1
Power Supply Corsair HX1000i
Mouse Steeseries Esports Wireless
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
Benchmark Scores https://i.imgur.com/aoz3vWY.jpg?2
Inside info, most likely. Look at the text under the user's name
a little reading comprehension goes a long way. I wanted a reference for his info, if there wasnt one, its speculation. Brand Reps are more like community outreach.

Processor Ryzen 3600
Cooling Deepcool AG400
Display(s) 24G2U
Case NR200P
Power Supply Ion SFX 650
Mouse G703
Software W10
The world doesn't revolve around PC Gamers. There are tons of other applications that can take advantage of blazing fast storage.
You should read the title of this entire topic/article again