• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Two AMD Ryzen 7000 Series Processors Based on Zen 4 Core Appear: 16-Core and 8-Core SKUs

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
I doubt 3D cache will even make it to the 7000 series.

The fact its only being released on the gaming focused 5800X, suggests its something that AMD is only doing to overtake(?) the 12600K, 12700K & 12900K in gaming benchmarks, until they're ready to launch the new 7000 series in Q3 or Q4.

AMD will not like Intel being able to say they have the fastest gaming CPU in their marketing for most of 2022...It just gives them a free pass to gain market share, if the 3D cache 5800X can match (or beat) Alder Lake for gaming, 3D cache will have served its purpose.
How many sockets did intel force on end users? Oh right, too many.

AMD is only just now considering AM5 sockets.

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5950X
Motherboard Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero WiFi
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420
Memory 32Gb G-Skill Trident Z Neo @3806MHz C14
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX2070
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 1TB
Display(s) Samsung G9 49" Curved Ultrawide
Case Cooler Master Cosmos
Audio Device(s) O2 USB Headphone AMP
Power Supply Corsair HX850i
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Cherry MX
Software Windows 11
hot and inefficient? It is not out yet and people already know how it will work and what it offers? difficult to get linear scaling?
Can I ask where are you getting this stuff from?
I got it from an interview with AMDs Robert Hallock on PCWorld. He never said that the chip ran hot, but said that the chip was bound by TDP limits, and was clocked (down) accordingly, because they wanted to "ease on the thermals". He also directly said there were performance penalties from using 2 CCDs with 3Dstacking cache, due to the fact that Windows and games do not simply allocate cores inside only one CCD. He did hint that the chip should be overclockable to some extent though.

And my last quote from him was that the cache had no benefits outside of gaming, and not all games benefit. They (AMD) had not found an application that measurably benefited from the extra cache. So expect this new CPU to actually perform worse in some cases with Windows/office and other applications, due to the lower clocks. That's why it's only marketed as a gaming CPU.

Some people like to dig for information, and don't just read the PR blurb.

Last edited:
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X ||| Intel Core i7-3930K
Motherboard ASUS ProArt B550-CREATOR ||| Asus P9X79 WS
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S ||| Be Quiet Pure Rock
Memory Crucial 2 x 16 GB 3200 MHz ||| Corsair 8 x 8 GB 1333 MHz
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1060 3GB ||| MSI GTX 680 4GB
Storage Samsung 970 PRO 512 GB + 1 TB ||| Intel 545s 512 GB + 256 GB
Display(s) Asus ROG Swift PG278QR 27" ||| Eizo EV2416W 24"
Case Fractal Design Define 7 XL x 2
Audio Device(s) Cambridge Audio DacMagic Plus
Power Supply Seasonic Focus PX-850 x 2
Mouse Razer Abyssus
Keyboard CM Storm QuickFire XT
Software Ubuntu
Yes that's unlikely right now or at least till IPC gains go back to single digit crawl just like half a decade back.
It's important to keep in mind that adding a bunch of L3 cache like that is going to be a "one time" thing, it's not going to be one of those improvements where you can keep doing it and it will add another level of performance.

Also, while cache improvements are appreciated, it's important to remember that they don't add to the CPUs maximum theoretical performance, they just help keep the CPU saturated. So cache improvements alone is not going to be exciting in the long run.

But I'm not worried about improvements slowing down, at least not as long as the production nodes can keep it up. It's very likely that we are going to see >= 50% IPC gains and significant SIMD gains in the next ~5 years, as there are many good improvements lined up.

they just help keep the CPU saturated.
That's the point. When a CPU has a ton of memory space local to it's compute units, it can do more work faster and slow down to fetch data from system memory less frequently. For any application that is sensitive to memory access times, this extra L2 & L3 cache will improve processing dramatically.

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X ||| Intel Core i7-3930K
Motherboard ASUS ProArt B550-CREATOR ||| Asus P9X79 WS
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S ||| Be Quiet Pure Rock
Memory Crucial 2 x 16 GB 3200 MHz ||| Corsair 8 x 8 GB 1333 MHz
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1060 3GB ||| MSI GTX 680 4GB
Storage Samsung 970 PRO 512 GB + 1 TB ||| Intel 545s 512 GB + 256 GB
Display(s) Asus ROG Swift PG278QR 27" ||| Eizo EV2416W 24"
Case Fractal Design Define 7 XL x 2
Audio Device(s) Cambridge Audio DacMagic Plus
Power Supply Seasonic Focus PX-850 x 2
Mouse Razer Abyssus
Keyboard CM Storm QuickFire XT
Software Ubuntu
That's the point. When a CPU has a ton of memory space local to it's compute units, it can do more work faster and slow down to fetch data from system memory less frequently. For any application that is sensitive to memory access times, this extra L2 & L3 cache will improve processing dramatically.
Sure, but you have to understand there are diminishing returns to just adding cache, especially L3 which is a spillover cache (meaning only evicted cache lines from L2).
Adding L3 will mainly reduce cache misses instruction cache lines, so we will probably see many computationally heavy workloads with minimal gains from loads of L3.
A little more L2 though, that's way more useful.

Sure, but you have to understand there are diminishing returns to just adding cache, especially L3 which is a spillover cache (meaning only evicted cache lines from L2).
Adding L3 will mainly reduce cache misses instruction cache lines, so we will probably see many computationally heavy workloads with minimal gains from loads of L3.
A little more L2 though, that's way more useful.
While true, 64MB of L3 cache is an amount that will make a difference.

System Name Bro2
Processor Ryzen 5800X
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite
Cooling Corsair h115i pro rgb
Memory 16GB G.Skill Flare X 3200 CL14 @3800Mhz CL16
Video Card(s) Powercolor 6900 XT Red Devil 1.1v@2400Mhz
Storage M.2 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500MB/ Samsung 860 Evo 1TB
Display(s) LG 27UD69 UHD / LG 27GN950
Case Fractal Design G
Audio Device(s) Realtec 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic 750W GOLD
Mouse Logitech G402
Keyboard Logitech slim
Software Windows 10 64 bit
I got it from an interview with AMDs Robert Hallock on PCWorld. He never said that the chip ran hot, but said that the chip was bound by TDP limits, and was clocked (down) accordingly, because they wanted to "ease on the thermals". He also directly said there were performance penalties from using 2 CCDs with 3Dstacking cache, due to the fact that Windows and games do not simply allocate cores inside only one CCD. He did hint that the chip should be overclockable to some extent though.
What you got from the interview about the temp was kinda wrong. Just because it is bound by the TDP doesn't mean it runs hot or is inefficient. Every chip is bound to a TDP limits. You can't go over certain TDP since the chip would not handle it. It surely does not mean it will be hot and inefficient.
Games are very sensitive to low latency. 3Dcache is for that. Obviously it depends on the workload you do. In terms of linear scale, I thought the Vcache does not scale linearly. Performance with the use of 3dVcache depends on the workload. 3dcache scales linearly if you add more you get better performance to some extent of course. That's why new Epycs supposed to have so much of the cache.

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5950X
Motherboard Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero WiFi
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420
Memory 32Gb G-Skill Trident Z Neo @3806MHz C14
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX2070
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 1TB
Display(s) Samsung G9 49" Curved Ultrawide
Case Cooler Master Cosmos
Audio Device(s) O2 USB Headphone AMP
Power Supply Corsair HX850i
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Cherry MX
Software Windows 11
What you got from the interview about the temp was kinda wrong. Just because it is bound by the TDP doesn't mean it runs hot or is inefficient. Every chip is bound to a TDP limits. You can't go over certain TDP since the chip would not handle it. It surely does not mean it will be hot and inefficient.
Games are very sensitive to low latency. 3Dcache is for that. Obviously it depends on the workload you do. In terms of linear scale, I thought the Vcache does not scale linearly. Performance with the use of 3dVcache depends on the workload. 3dcache scales linearly if you add more you get better performance to some extent of course. That's why new Epycs supposed to have so much of the cache.
That's what the guy said when he was asked why it was clocked lower than the regular 5800x. Don't know how I could have got that wrong. He said it was to reduce the thermal output of the chip, nothing about power. Anyway, you put more power through a chip, it will run hotter, which circles back to his original statement, doesn't it?