• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Immervision Announces the World's thinnest camera module for the laptop industry

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/5za05v
Immervision, the world's leading developer of advanced vision systems combining optics, image processing, and sensor fusion technology, is pleased to announce its new 8 MP wide angle camera module for laptops, tablets and notepads with Immervision patented technology bringing edge-to-edge image clarity. Immervision's 8 MP ultra-wide-angle lens-and-sensor combination is only 3.8 mm thick and offers a high-quality solution for a variety of applications that require higher resolution, a wide field of view and advanced distortion control. This solution can handle a variety of videoconferencing scenarios capturing larger scenes with optimal image sensor coverage, pixel density, and quality.

Laptop manufacturers, answering customers' demands for high quality video conferencing, are faced with the difficult problem of increasing the video call resolution and camera field of view while having a limited space to fit advanced camera hardware. They must find ways to shrink both lenses and the camera module. Many are unable to achieve this, leaving them struggling with distorted images, low resolution, and narrow field of view cameras that perform poorly in low-light conditions.

"Working with OEMs we have been able to help them maximize the field of view and image quality in the few millimetres of space available in modern devices," explains Patrice Roulet Fontani, co-founder and VP of Technology at Immervision. "This miniature camera module can be used in conjunction with Immervision's Wide-Angle Distortion Correction Dewarping Algorithms, with Face and Body Protection Algorithm, enabling OEMs with an unprecedented, novel, and fresh video call experience."

This announcement continues the company's proven track record of working with clients to develop and deliver vision system projects from concept to mass production, while authoring multiple patents in 28 patent families, including wide-angle and freeform optics, image processing, sensor fusion and AI.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name HELLSTAR
Processor AMD RYZEN 9 5950X
Motherboard ASUS Strix X570-E
Cooling 2x 360 + 280 rads. 3x Gentle Typhoons, 3x Phanteks T30, 2x TT T140 . EK-Quantum Momentum Monoblock.
Memory 4x8GB G.SKILL Trident Z RGB F4-4133C19D-16GTZR 14-16-12-30-44
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 7900XTX + under waterblock.
Storage Optane 900P[W11] + WD BLACK SN850X 4TB + 750 EVO 500GB + 1TB 980PRO[FEDORA]
Display(s) Philips PHL BDM3270 + Acer XV242Y
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow V3 - Yellow Switch
Software FEDORA 39 / Windows 11 insider
By far it ain't the thinnest camera in laptop industry or not.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
I'm guessing it's the thinnest 4K capable module, but they didn't say that...
Do we have any sensor dimentions for this camera?
if its 4:3 format and a total of 8MP, than it means the 16:9 crop to 4K cannot yield true 4K, since its only going to have about 6MP to work with

TheLostSwede

News Editor
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
if its 4:3 format and a total of 8MP, than it means the 16:9 crop to 4K cannot yield true 4K, since its only going to have about 6MP to work with
Immervision's 8 MP ultra-wide-angle lens-and-sensor
So clearly not 4:3. I can't find any more details on their website and they don't seem to publish a lot of product details in general.

System Name HELLSTAR
Cooling 2x 360 + 280 rads. 3x Gentle Typhoons, 3x Phanteks T30, 2x TT T140 . EK-Quantum Momentum Monoblock.
Storage Optane 900P[W11] + WD BLACK SN850X 4TB + 750 EVO 500GB + 1TB 980PRO[FEDORA]
Mouse Razer Basilisk
I'm guessing it's the thinnest 4K capable module, but they didn't say that...

I am guessing they are way too hasty with that announcement without doing real check up.

At least 8MP F2.0 front cameras in mobiles, laptops etc smart devices aren't anything new... the 3.8mm thickness isn't anything special also. Nevertheless I know you and me would gladly live without them as I call them light sensors not cameras :D.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
I am guessing they are way too hasty with that announcement without doing real check up.

At least 8MP F2.0 front cameras in mobiles, laptops etc smart devices aren't anything new... the 3.8mm thickness isn't anything special also. Nevertheless I know you and me would gladly live without them as I call them light sensors not cameras :D.
My phone doesn't have a front facing camera.
Sadly video calls have become the norm, so a notebook with a crap camera isn't ideal either.

System Name HELLSTAR
Mouse Razer Basilisk
Sadly video calls have become the norm, so a notebook with a crap camera isn't ideal either.

I remember you have that flippy flippy Asus without USB3.

I use my Sony camera for video calling, F1.4 wide open and proper AF and background blur... Size matters... considering how webcam prices have skyrocketed because the demand, using a full fledged camera ain't that bad idea, considering you can also use it outside and shoot.

To put it simply... waste $$ and put some small abominations, like most laptops have, I think even Linus had a whining video about it, just don't put one at all. Leave it be. Good cameras can't be really small, there's a physical limitation and no AI can fix optical limits maintaining low cost.

I would like more having default UVC capable out from a phone and use it natively as a webcam with any PC. As anyone has a phone these days anyways. Win win in my books.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
I remember you have that flippy flippy Asus without USB3.

I use my Sony camera for video calling, F1.4 wide open and proper AF and background blur... Size matters... considering how webcam prices have skyrocketed because the demand, using a full fledged camera ain't that bad idea, considering you can also use it outside and shoot.

To put it simply... waste $$ and put some small abominations, like most laptops have, I think even Linus had a whining video about it, just don't put one at all. Leave it be. Good cameras can't be really small, there's a physical limitation and no AI can fix optical limits maintaining low cost.

I would like more having default UVC capable out from a phone and use it natively as a webcam with any PC. As anyone has a phone these days anyways. Win win in my books.
Daim! You got good memory. At least when it flips over, I have a very decent camera, but I rarely ever use it that way around.

I normally use my desktop, but I obviously have (by now a very old) laptop when I travelled, which has a terrible camera built in.
Luckily my SO used to work for M$, so we have a few of their old webcams in the house.

Most notebooks have crappy 720p or worse cameras, since they were just another checkmark, until people really started to use them, courtesy of the pandemic...
Asus even got rid of them altogether on some of its gaming notebooks, which some reviewers weren't all that impressed with.

Obviously there are limitations, but in this case I guess the selling point is largely the Z height, since laptop makers don't want to have a huge bulge around the screen to house a webcam.

Camo Studio does something like that, but it's not without its flaws.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
Dunno but I'm looking at my duo of webcam equipped Dell laptops here and the screens both seem as thick as this whole module...

Time travel? Magical hammer?

Video calls... yeah. I often just don't turn on the camera at work, really, when we've already had some earlier contact. When people complain I say, 'what's wrong with a simple phone call?'. Silence follows, and you can almost hear the reality check happening. I also don't get the jump from texting all day (super distant) to needing to look at each others' faces all of a sudden. The sheep behavior is staggering. Its an interesting experiment to just say you don't like it. The peer pressure is strong here.

Last edited:

TheLostSwede

News Editor
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Dunno but I'm looking at my duo of webcam equipped Dell laptops here and the screens both seem as thick as this whole module...

Time travel? Magical hammer?

Video calls... yeah. I often just don't turn on the camera at work, really, when we've already had some earlier contact. When people complain I say, 'what's wrong with a simple phone call?'. Silence follows, and you can almost hear the reality check happening. I also don't get the jump from texting all day (super distant) to needing to look at each others' faces all of a sudden. The sheep behavior is staggering. Its an interesting experiment to just say you don't like it. The peer pressure is strong here.
Do you have an 8 Megapixel camera in it though?

As for video calls, I guess that depends on what the call is about and what your job is, no? It's very handy to be able to show products to customers before they ship out, or discuss board layouts or moulding issues while showing the customer what's going on. If you're a software developer, I would guess screen sharing is a lot more useful, no?
If it's just a call to catch up on things that doesn't require video, then why use it? I guess some of it is about control by managers as well, which is why so many people are complaining about it. I use it as a tool when needed, but as you say, if you know the people and there's nothing physical involved that has to be shared, voice is good enough. I guess some people like seeing the facial expressions etc. of who they're talking with though, but video calls are still not like meeting face to face.

All that said, most laptops could do with something better than the cameras that have been installed in them for the last decade, as 99% of them have been crap. If this is it, I don't know.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
Do you have an 8 Megapixel camera in it though?

As for video calls, I guess that depends on what the call is about and what your job is, no? It's very handy to be able to show products to customers before they ship out, or discuss board layouts or moulding issues while showing the customer what's going on. If you're a software developer, I would guess screen sharing is a lot more useful, no?
If it's just a call to catch up on things that doesn't require video, then why use it? I guess some of it is about control by managers as well, which is why so many people are complaining about it. I use it as a tool when needed, but as you say, if you know the people and there's nothing physical involved that has to be shared, voice is good enough. I guess some people like seeing the facial expressions etc. of who they're talking with though, but video calls are still not like meeting face to face.

All that said, most laptops could do with something better than the cameras that have been installed in them for the last decade, as 99% of them have been crap. If this is it, I don't know.

No, camera quality is pretty weak. But then... I really don't want one. More blur = more better :p I'm not on Insta. For the purposes you describe... yep.. def a use case.

I was talking mostly about it in the sense that video is now always a part of calls since we're all on some sort of Teams app. Lower the bar and people think its somehow required to do, or something. And yes I do share screens a lot ;)

Processor Ryzen 5700x
Motherboard Gigabyte X570S Aero G R1.1 BiosF5g
Cooling Noctua NH-C12P SE14 w/ NF-A15 HS-PWM Fan 1500rpm
Memory Micron DDR4-3200 2x32GB D.S. D.R. (CT2K32G4DFD832A)
Video Card(s) AMD RX 6800 - Asus Tuf
Storage Kingston KC3000 1TB & 2TB & 4TB Corsair LPX
Display(s) LG 27UL550-W (27" 4k)
Case Be Quiet Pure Base 600 (no window)
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220-VB
Power Supply SuperFlower Leadex V Gold Pro 850W ATX Ver2.52
Mouse Mionix Naos Pro
Keyboard Corsair Strafe with browns
Software W10 22H2 Pro x64
More importantly, where did they find the Canadian penny?!?!?! We phased those out years ago!!

silentbogo

Staff member
System Name WS#1337
Processor Ryzen 7 3800X
Motherboard ASUS X570-PLUS TUF Gaming
Cooling Xigmatek Scylla 240mm AIO
Memory 4x8GB Samsung DDR4 ECC UDIMM
Video Card(s) Inno3D RTX 3070 Ti iChill
Storage ADATA Legend 2TB + ADATA SX8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) Samsung U24E590D (4K/UHD)
Case ghetto CM Cosmos RC-1000
Audio Device(s) ALC1220
Power Supply SeaSonic SSR-550FX (80+ GOLD)
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Modecom Volcano Blade (Kailh choc LP)
VR HMD Google dreamview headset(aka fancy cardboard)
Software Windows 11, Ubuntu 20.04 LTS
I'm pretty sure it's IMX415

I think they are just copy-pasting sony's old press release.

World's Smallest※1

※1:Among 4K-resolution CMOS image sensors for security camera applications

TheLostSwede

News Editor
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
I'm pretty sure it's IMX415

I think they are just copy-pasting sony's old press release.

World's Smallest※1

※1:Among 4K-resolution CMOS image sensors for security camera applications
Considering they only seem to make optics and modules, it might very well be that they're using Sony sensors.