• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Wanting to Time Launch of AM5 Platform with DDR5 Availability

D

Deleted member 24505

I was not talking about Alder Lake.

Yes about AM5 and DDR5 and AMD's concerns that come with it not about Alder Lake. Foresaw? It has never, in the history of all DDR memory releases, been that the newly released DDR Ram was up for the supply and performance in comparison to previous matured one. So much for foreseeing.

That's why they gave it a dual controller, wake up, I don't think it had anything to do with performance, more about supply of DDR5 or they probably would have made it DDR5 only. Maybe AMD should do the same instead of hoping the supply is there. Enough of ADL talk anyway.

Just hope there is enough supply for AMD when it is released.

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
That's why they gave it a dual controller, wake up, I don't think it had anything to do with performance, more about supply of DDR5 or they probably would have made it DDR5 only. Maybe AMD should do the same instead of hoping the supply is there. Enough of ADL talk anyway.

Let's not forget Zen4 is 5nm. AMD may have a capacity/production issue on their hands which they may try to solve/hide by blaming DDR5.

System Name Bro2
Processor Ryzen 5800X
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite
Cooling Corsair h115i pro rgb
Memory 16GB G.Skill Flare X 3200 CL14 @3800Mhz CL16
Video Card(s) Powercolor 6900 XT Red Devil 1.1v@2400Mhz
Storage M.2 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500MB/ Samsung 860 Evo 1TB
Display(s) LG 27UD69 UHD / LG 27GN950
Case Fractal Design G
Audio Device(s) Realtec 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic 750W GOLD
Mouse Logitech G402
Keyboard Logitech slim
Software Windows 10 64 bit

Dude it is a common knowledge that the newly released DDR mem will need some time to catch up. That was my point not that they have bragged about it. And yes they did btw.
I never cared about Alder Lake in this thread but it would seem there are people who just have to mention Intel's AL no matter what the conversation is about since, in their eyes, it always ties to the subject.
You cant even have a conversation about other aspects since AL always comes along. It's just annoying.

D

Deleted member 24505

Dude it is a common knowledge that the newly released DDR mem will need some time to catch up. That was my point not that they have bragged about it. And yes they did btw.
I never cared about Alder Lake in this thread but it would seem there are people who just have to mention Intel's AL no matter what the conversation is about since, in their eyes, it always ties to the subject.
You cant even have a conversation about other aspects since AL always comes along. It's just annoying.
AL was mentioned in relation to DDR5 which was relevant to the thread.

bug

Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Case Raijintek Thetis
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Both Zen4 and AL are their companies' first take on DDR5 in the consumer space. Since the approaches are different, it is only logical to compare them. Otherwise we're taking stuff out of the context.

The "newly released DDR mem will need some time to catch up" argument is also taking stuff out of context, because, while transitions never went smoothly, this time around the transition is only aggravated by a bonus supply shortage/ridiculous pricing. Makes it look like it's business as usual - it is not.

Ahhzz

Staff member
System Name OrangeHaze / Silence
Processor i7-13700KF / i5-10400 /
Motherboard ROG STRIX Z690-E / MSI Z490 A-Pro Motherboard
Cooling Corsair H75 / TT ToughAir 510
Memory 64Gb GSkill Trident Z5 / 32GB Team Dark Za 3600
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2070 / Sapphire R9 290 Vapor-X 4Gb
Storage Hynix Plat P41 2Tb\Samsung MZVL21 1Tb / Samsung 980 Pro 1Tb
Display(s) 22" Dell Wide/24" Asus
Case Lian Li PC-101 ATX custom mod / Antec Lanboy Air Black & Blue
Audio Device(s) SB Audigy 7.1
Power Supply Corsair Enthusiast TX750
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed Wireless / Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum
Keyboard K68 RGB — CHERRY® MX Red
Software Win10 Pro \ RIP:Win 7 Ult 64 bit
Too bad Intel doesn't offer a choice with Alder Lake such as DDR4 boards ... oh wait ...
This is not a discussion of Intel vs AMD. This is not a discussion about Intel's offerings. This is a trolling statement. Keep those out of the thread, or you'll be kept out of the thread. This goes for everyone here.

System Name Skunkworks
Processor 5800x3d
Motherboard x570 unify
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB 3600 mhz
Video Card(s) asrock 6800xt challenger D
Storage Sabarent rocket 4.0 2TB, MX 500 2TB
Display(s) Asus 1440p144 27"
Case Old arse cooler master 932
Power Supply Corsair 1200w platinum
Mouse *squeak*
Keyboard Some old office thing
Software openSUSE tumbleweed/Mint 21.2
If AMD is deciding to delay AM5 because of DDR5 supply problems, perhaps they have time to get some more 3D vCache models to include more than just the 5800X3D?
They hav eno reason to do that, people are gobbling up zen 3 as it is. Better for AMD to sandbag and wait for a proper zen 4 AM5 launch.

System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
They hav eno reason to do that, people are gobbling up zen 3 as it is. Better for AMD to sandbag and wait for a proper zen 4 AM5 launch.
If they have the capacity to make them and they're more profitable than regular Zen3, then they will. That is reason enough.

The reason AMD cited for the 5800X3D being the only SKU last week was that it was a proof of concept prior to wider adoption across Zen4. If Zen4 is delayed then perhaps their plans regarding Zen3+ will also change.

This is all obviously speculation and guesswork, anyone claiming otherwise is full of shit.

Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard MSI B550 Tomahawk
Cooling Noctua U12S
Memory 32GB @ 3600 CL18
Video Card(s) AMD 6800XT
Storage WD Black SN850(1TB), WD Black NVMe 2018(500GB), WD Blue SATA(2TB)
Display(s) Samsung Odyssey G9
Case Be Quiet! Silent Base 802
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME-GX-1000
The only problem is that a down clocked 8 core gamer CPU is not what I, and I suspect, many others want. If they release a 16 core version, thats overclockable 300-500MHz, then I'm in. But AMD have made noises that a more-than-8-core 3D cache part is not going to happen.

DDR5 will be no better in 9 months time, maybe it will drop slightly in price, but it's still crap with no tangible perf gain for 3x the price, and it will stay that way for at least another year or two. Even if DDR5 was only an extra 25% higher cost than DDR4, i'd still take DDR4.

Intel have seen the issues convincing people to use DDR5, and AMD should do the same.
Why do you believe that pricing and availability won't be better in 9 months? Chip shortages are the driving cause of DDR5 pricing/availability, and all speculation is shortages will be easing during the end of this year, hence making DDR5 more available and with more availability it will inevitably become cheaper.

Will DDR5 be a better value than DDR4 in 9 months? No. New DDR transitions have never been a better value until a few years after release, but... it's going to happen, and next thing you know, in ~8 years we're going to be complaining about how awful of a value DDR6 is to DDR5.

If they have the capacity to make them and they're more profitable than regular Zen3, then they will.
Yes & no ~ they have relatively good( malleable) capacity for zen3 but definitely not enough for zen4, they can do lots of stuff on 7nm & move various SKU around for DIY if they want to.
If Zen4 is delayed then perhaps their plans regarding Zen3+ will also change.
That's a big big IF, because that would imply Genoa is also late! Zen3+ is mobile only, for now, & on 6nm so neither 7nm/5nm affect it much if at all.

System Name Bro2
Processor Ryzen 5800X
Case Fractal Design G
Mouse Logitech G402
Keyboard Logitech slim
Both Zen4 and AL are their companies' first take on DDR5 in the consumer space. Since the approaches are different, it is only logical to compare them. Otherwise we're taking stuff out of the context.

The "newly released DDR mem will need some time to catch up" argument is also taking stuff out of context, because, while transitions never went smoothly, this time around the transition is only aggravated by a bonus supply shortage/ridiculous pricing. Makes it look like it's business as usual - it is not.
It is not about the transistors. Look at the price and what DDR5 offers today. Dont you think it needs time to catch up? It needs to catch up on variety of things. Like pricing, availability for instance. Why people always look through such a narrow window? Maybe you are focused too much on the technological aspect not getting the entire picture.
If DDR5 is so great why AMD has reservations with it? Price and supply despite its technological aspect for sure.
People put companies as an example for business and what it entails but refuse to think like one at the same time. That just bugs me. (get it? :) )

If DDR5 is so great why AMD has reservations with it? Price and supply despite its technological aspect for sure.
The biggest issue IMO is 5nm capacity. DDR5 actually doesn't come into the equation at all.

Like for instance AMD didn't wait for half a dozen PCIe 4.0 drives, or GPUs, before launching the x570 (zen2?) platform.

System Name Bro2
Processor Ryzen 5800X
Case Fractal Design G
Mouse Logitech G402
Keyboard Logitech slim
The biggest issue IMO is 5nm capacity. DDR5 actually doesn't come into the equation at all.

Like for instance AMD didn't wait for half a dozen PCIe 4.0 drives, or GPUs, before launching the x570 (zen2?) platform.
Well, AMD has expressed concerns about the DDR5 supply. I understand that concern since AMD want's to move for DDR5 totally without corner cutting with DDR4. It complicates the chip to introduce more controllers but on the other hand they have supply issues tied to AM5. They just don't want to release a product with poor availability. What's the point of releasing an awesome product if nobody can buy it or there is a problem obtaining other components for the platform. That's like a shot in a foot. If that happened, do you realize what kind of fuel would haters have? Not to mention, AMD would not be able to fix it since it would not have been them but other companies. I get it.
Maybe AMD is trying to aim for a high frequency ram modules and they don't know how far this year the DDR5 Ram will be able to go.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
Thanks for the helping of snark, appreciate that... My request was to do what other editors do and link within the article with hypertext. As the process to view the source from the forum is to go back to the main page and find the tiny 10pt greyscale font that's seemingly designed to be the least visible element on the page.
Not trying to take sides, but I do agree the way the forum posts show sources (or rather, don't) has always been kinda lame.

If you don't like the way the site works, take it up with management.
I like your articles, but seriously, you are coming across as very snarky here. Intentional or language barrier? Thought you should know.

bug

Case Raijintek Thetis
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Well, AMD has expressed concerns about the DDR5 supply. I understand that concern since AMD want's to move for DDR5 totally without corner cutting with DDR4. It complicates the chip to introduce more controllers but on the other hand they have supply issues tied to AM5. They just don't want to release a product with poor availability. What's the point of releasing an awesome product if nobody can buy it or there is a problem obtaining other components for the platform. That's like a shot in a foot. If that happened, do you realize what kind of fuel would haters have? Not to mention, AMD would not be able to fix it since it would not have been them but other companies. I get it.
Maybe AMD is trying to aim for a high frequency ram modules and they don't know how far this year the DDR5 Ram will be able to go.
And unlike evil Intel, AMD will also come and fix your house, do your laundry and help your children with their homework, that's how much AMD cares about you.

More likely, between 5nm supply constraints and home users not putting up with DDR5 pricing, AMD is simply prioritizing their server parts instead.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/5za05v
I like your articles, but seriously, you are coming across as very snarky here. Intentional or language barrier? Thought you should know.
It was intentional, as I can't do anything about how the site works and I don't like getting blamed for things, especially when I follow how things are done here. Also, as a multi-year reader of the site, I kind of expect people to have figured out how source links work here, as it's not a recent thing. This is the second person now who has told me that I don't provide links to the sources, which is really quite frustrating, as it's something I make sure I always do, especially considering how much I loathe when other people copy content I've produced without a link back.

bug

Case Raijintek Thetis
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
It was intentional, as I can't do anything about how the site works and I don't like getting blamed for things, especially when I follow how things are done here. Also, as a multi-year reader of the site, I kind of expect people to have figured out how source links work here, as it's not a recent thing. This is the second person now who has told me that I don't provide links to the sources, which is really quite frustrating, as it's something I make sure I always do, especially considering how much I loathe when other people copy content I've produced without a link back.
Maybe if you used a 36px, bold red font for sources, people wouldn't miss them anymore. And this site would look so much more professional. /s

On a more constructive note, don't ever post when annoyed. Take a step back, let it pass and post afterwards.

Last edited:
System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
I mean, I know the feeling as the same happened to me when I was writing, but this seems more a design fault than an actual complaint addressed against you specifically as a writer. Yes it is more w1zzard territory though.

Said my bit, at any rate.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
I mean, I know the feeling as the same happened to me when I was writing, but this seems more a design fault than a actual complaint addressed against you specifically as a writer.

Said my bit, at any rate.
And the only one that has the ability to fix that, is management.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
And the only one that has the ability to fix that, is management.
Indeed but no need to bite the users head off for an admitedly confusing design, was all I was trying to say.

I know it's not ideal. I also could be reading the room wrong, in which case feel free to ignore me.

System Name ✨ Lenovo M700 [Tiny]
Cooling ⚠️ 78,08% N² ⌬ 20,95% O² ⌬ 0,93% Ar ⌬ 0,04% CO²
Audio Device(s) ◐◑ AKG K702 ⌬ FiiO E10K Olympus 2
Mouse ✌️ Corsair M65 RGB Elite [Black] ⌬ Endgame Gear MPC-890 Cordura
Keyboard ⌨ Turtle Beach Impact 500
Really??? I’d be more concerned with video card supply vs ddr5!! DDR5 is probably easier and cheaper to get than a decent video card.

who wants to pair a bleeding edge platform with a 6 year old video card???

Exactly. :) But they didn't loose a word about GPU shortage. No surprise.
They know they will not sell a lot CPU's & mainboards when nobody can get their hands on a GPU.

I think the best upgrade path is to grab a pair of DDR5 before AM5 releases, wait for next gen GPU's (or for eBay getting flooded with outsourced GPU's) & buy the AM5 CPU at last.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
You misunderstand what I am asking.

View attachment 231973

On the forum side there is no link to a source, not at the bottom nor within the body text of the article even in sections which directly refer to a source. Other articles include these:

View attachment 231974 View attachment 231975

I don't see how that's an offensive request considering the precedent set by the rest of the team.
It's not a precedent set by the rest of the team, all articles use the link at the bottom the to source, it's how the backend was designed.
The links in the articles are links back to older articles on TPU usually and it's not even something that's used in most articles here.
And honestly, if you want the link in the forums, talk to the boss, he's the only one that can fix that.

System Name Bro2
Processor Ryzen 5800X
Case Fractal Design G
Mouse Logitech G402
Keyboard Logitech slim
And unlike evil Intel, AMD will also come and fix your house, do your laundry and help your children with their homework, that's how much AMD cares about you.

More likely, between 5nm supply constraints and home users not putting up with DDR5 pricing, AMD is simply prioritizing their server parts instead.
If AMD or Intel cares for your children and housekeeping good for you. There's no need to change the subject.
It is also hard to blame AMD for doing what's best for the company and at the same time expressing worries about DDR5 supply and pricing. The company lives from customers and clients so it is valid to express worry about component supply and pricing to the public. That is what they did.
You maybe have to distinguish nonsense and a valid point. Putting controllers for memory whichever comes along is rather easy but it also costs more. If you want to save cash for the production it is better to plan it. AMD is a company like any other and they have look for savings to improve profits. I thought that is clear.

System Name Firelance.
Processor Threadripper 3960X
Motherboard ROG Strix TRX40-E Gaming
Cooling IceGem 360 + 6x Arctic Cooling P12
Memory 8x 16GB Patriot Viper DDR4-3200 CL16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 4060 Ti Ventus 2X OC
Storage 2TB WD SN850X (boot), 4TB Crucial P3 (data)
Display(s) 3x AOC Q32E2N (32" 2560x1440 75Hz)
Case Enthoo Pro II Server Edition (Closed Panel) + 6 fans
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion+ 2 Platinum 760W
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Logitech G613
Software Windows 10 Professional x64
AMD is in a bit of trouble here. They tied Zen 4/AM5 to DDR5, assuming Intel had done the same with ADL and would be subject to the same constraints, and were then blindsided by Intel launching ADL with combined DDR4 and DDR5 support. So now Intel is ahead in terms of product launch, it's much cheaper to upgrade to ADL than it will be to go to Zen 4 because you can reuse your current RAM with the former, and ADL's aggressive pricing against AMD's extortionate pricing and lack of true low-end options is definitely going to swing a fair bit of marketshare back Intel's way before Zen 4 gets out of the gate. In short, AMD is staring down the prospect of half a year or more without any new product launches (no, the stupid 5800X3DOMGWTFLMAOOO doesn't count), against a competitor's refreshed and compelling product stack... not a good place to be in.

The problem IMO is Zen 4 being designed for AM5 and thus coupled to DDR5. When AM4 launched, DDR4 had already been on the market for 2 years, but DDR5 will have had a year or less of market presence at the time that AMD hopes to launch Zen 4/AM5 - and that's before you take into account the DDR5 shortages and price hikes. To my mind it would've been a lot more logical to keep Zen 4 on AM4/DDR4 (which could have been released sooner, perhaps even preempting ADL), then release Zen 5/AM5 as a simple Zen 4 refresh with DDR5 support a year later.

Say what you like about Intel, they've definitely been a lot smarter about the DDR5 transition than AMD has. I'm honestly expecting Zen 4 to slip to 2023 at this point.

What are your sources for this?

bug

Case Raijintek Thetis
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
AMD is in a bit of trouble here. They tied Zen 4/AM5 to DDR5, assuming Intel had done the same with ADL and would be subject to the same constraints, and were then blindsided by Intel launching ADL with combined DDR4 and DDR5 support. So now Intel is ahead in terms of product launch, it's much cheaper to upgrade to ADL than it will be to go to Zen 4 because you can reuse your current RAM with the former, and ADL's aggressive pricing against AMD's extortionate pricing and lack of true low-end options is definitely going to swing a fair bit of marketshare back Intel's way before Zen 4 gets out of the gate. In short, AMD is staring down the prospect of half a year or more without any new product launches (no, the stupid 5800X3DOMGWTFLMAOOO doesn't count), against a competitor's refreshed and compelling product stack... not a good place to be in.

The problem IMO is Zen 4 being designed for AM5 and thus coupled to DDR5. When AM4 launched, DDR4 had already been on the market for 2 years, but DDR5 will have had a year or less of market presence at the time that AMD hopes to launch Zen 4/AM5 - and that's before you take into account the DDR5 shortages and price hikes. To my mind it would've been a lot more logical to keep Zen 4 on AM4/DDR4 (which could have been released sooner, perhaps even preempting ADL), then release Zen 5/AM5 as a simple Zen 4 refresh with DDR5 support a year later.

Say what you like about Intel, they've definitely been a lot smarter about the DDR5 transition than AMD has. I'm honestly expecting Zen 4 to slip to 2023 at this point.
Somewhat unrelated, but I loved how AMD fans tried to spun all that into "but AL doesn't make sense together with DDR4, because the 5-7% performance loss is totally unacceptable".
What are your sources for this?
Idk about a source, but mobile has had a habit of gobbling up quite a bit of new nodes capacity.