• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel "Bonanza Mine" is a Bitcoin Mining ASIC, Intel Finally Sees Where the Money is

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
Intel is reportedly looking to disrupt the cryptocurrency mining hardware business with fixed-function ASICs that either outperform GPUs, or end up with lower enough performance/Watt or performance/Dollar to take make GPUs unviable as a mining hardware option. The company is planning to unveil its first such product, codenamed "Bonanza Mine," an ASIC purpose-built for Bitcoin mining.

Since it's an ASIC, "Bonanza Mine" doesn't appear to be a re-purposed Xe-HPC processor, or even an FPGA that's been programmed to mine Bitcoin. It's a purpose-built piece of silicon. Intel will unveil "Bonanza Mine" at the 2022 ISSCC Conference. It describes the chip as being an "ultra low-voltage energy-efficient Bitcoin mining ASIC," putting power-guzzling GPUs on notice. If Intel can clinch Bitcoin with "Bonanza Lake," designing ASICs for other cryptocurrencies is straightforward. With demand from crypto-miners slashed, graphics cards will see a tremendous fall in value, forcing scalpers to cut prices.

Problem solved, right? Not quite. As we've seen with several past spikes in GPU prices, the development of an "energy efficient" ASIC tends to mark the completion of a "difficulty cycle," where custodians of the cryptocurrency mining algorithm up the "difficulty" (else those with faster hardware simply mine the currency to inflation).

Market saturation of ASICs triggers an increase in difficulty, and the then the next cycle begins, with GPU vendors introducing newer architectures on newer nodes, with generationally doubled SIMD muscle, and significant enough increases to performance/Watt.

The least one can expect from an ASIC deluge is a large cache of new and used current-generation "Ampere" and RDNA2 graphics cards falling into circulation. Scalpers won't be able to horde brand-new cards, as they'll be facing stiff competition from miners dumping used cards that people might still be interested in.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Processor Ryzen 5700x
Motherboard Gigabyte X570S Aero G R1.1 BiosF5g
Cooling Noctua NH-C12P SE14 w/ NF-A15 HS-PWM Fan 1500rpm
Memory Micron DDR4-3200 2x32GB D.S. D.R. (CT2K32G4DFD832A)
Video Card(s) AMD RX 6800 - Asus Tuf
Storage Kingston KC3000 1TB & 2TB & 4TB Corsair LPX
Display(s) LG 27UL550-W (27" 4k)
Case Be Quiet Pure Base 600 (no window)
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220-VB
Power Supply SuperFlower Leadex V Gold Pro 850W ATX Ver2.52
Mouse Mionix Naos Pro
Keyboard Corsair Strafe with browns
Software W10 22H2 Pro x64
Intel - all crypto coin is going to be ours muwahahaha

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5950x, Ryzen 9 5980HX
Motherboard MSI X570 Tomahawk
Cooling Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 4(With Noctua Fans)
Memory 32Gb Crucial 3600 Ballistix
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 3080, Asus 6800M
Storage Adata SX8200 1TB NVME/WD Black 1TB NVME
Display(s) Dell 27 Inch 165Hz
Case Phanteks P500A
Audio Device(s) IFI Zen Dac/JDS Labs Atom+/SMSL Amp+Rivers Audio
Power Supply Corsair RM850x
Mouse Logitech G502 SE Hero
Keyboard Corsair K70 RGB Mk.2
VR HMD Samsung Odyssey Plus
Software Windows 10
This smells so much like Larrabee at this point.:(

System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
Ummm, welcome to 2017 Intel, I guess. Bitcoin hasn't been GPU mineable for half a decade, almost. If intel can make a better Bitcoin ASIC than everyone else, then all it will do is tip the difficulty balance slightly. There are so many bitcoin miners out there using ASICs at this point that Intel would have to sell literally billions of units to make even a small dent in the market.

ETH mining is profitable, but probably not for much longer. Everyone keeps talking about how the hard end to mineable Ethereum (complete transition to proof-of-stake) is never going to come but progress towards it is relentless and hurdles that delay the process are being cleared at a reasonable rate. 2022 2H is the planned cutoff, it might slip to 2023 or ETH could collapse entirely as a currency instead.

When ETH mining dies, another coin will take its place, which is fine for GPUs that can just switch to another coin, but all ASICs will go to landfill.

Given how slow Intel is at releasing a dGPU to market, this announcement is a joke because they won't even launch an ETH ASIC until it's no longer relevant.

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
Ummm, welcome to 2017 Intel, I guess. Bitcoin hasn't been GPU mineable for half a decade, almost. If intel can make a better Bitcoin ASIC than everyone else, then all it will do is tip the difficulty balance slightly. There are so many bitcoin miners out there using ASICs at this point that Intel would have to sell literally billions of units to make even a small dent in the market.

ETH mining is profitable, but probably not for much longer. Everyone keeps talking about how the hard end to mineable Ethereum (complete transition to proof-of-stake) is never going to come but progress towards it is relentless and hurdles that delay the process are being cleared at a reasonable rate. 2022 2H is the planned cutoff, it might slip to 2023 or ETH could collapse entirely as a currency instead.

When ETH mining dies, another coin will take its place, which is fine for GPUs that can just switch to another coin, but all ASICs will go to landfill.

Given how slow Intel is at releasing a dGPU to market, this announcement is a joke because they won't even launch an ETH ASIC until it's no longer relevant.
Except the deluded fools are talking only about bitcoin mining ASICS And mentioning GPUS.
They're clearly on crack.

GPU mine ETH and altcoins ,ASICS mine bitcoin and temporarily until fork Possibly ETH IE few ASICS mine ETH or altcoins for long as it's apposed to their purpose so much the Devs Act to limit the use of ASICS.

Pure ass by Intel and a knightsferry league future f#@£ up in the making.

No one makes a dedicated hardware component for mining and Intel is no different. Already written above..way too volatile for it to be a sound business decision.

Components produced for other means are deemed good miners.

The reliability of your sources should be questioned. Unless, off course, you're just shilling for crypto..

Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Crypto is fully banned in 9 countries hopefully this nuber will grow much higher.
Yeh only 249 to go , then again with luck in ten years the fed etc will release they're cryptos.
Then we can escape country's printing paper add nauseum to Regulate the worth of my ten pounds.
Plus the waste of making and moving around shells with holes in them(sarcasm for actual cash and it's True worth(f all)) would also be gone.

System Name Good enough
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7900 - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora Edge
Motherboard ASRock B650 Pro RS
Cooling 2x 360mm NexXxoS ST30 X-Flow, 1x 360mm NexXxoS ST30, 1x 240mm NexXxoS ST30
Memory 32GB - FURY Beast RGB 5600 Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 7900 XT - Alphacool Eisblock Aurora
Storage 1x Kingston KC3000 1TB 1x Kingston A2000 1TB, 1x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB , 1x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
Display(s) LG UltraGear 32GN650-B + 4K Samsung TV
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
No one makes a dedicated hardware component for mining and Intel is no different. Already written above..way too volatile for it to be a sound business decision.
They do for BTC since no on expects BTC mining will die anytime soon, it's a perfectly sound business decision to make an ASIC for that given that you have the technology to make your product stand out.

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit

Components produced for other means are deemed good miners.

The reliability of your sources should be questioned. Unless, off course, you're just shilling for crypto..
Tell that to Bitmain, a large supplier of dedicated Asics for Bitcoin.

Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
They do for BTC since no on expects BTC mining will die anytime soon, it's a perfectly sound business decision to decide to make an ASIC for that given that you have the technology to make your product stand out.
While I except your point, It just makes them sound more stupid for mentioning GPUS, which are truly totally irrelevant to bitcoin mining.
@btarunr how much of the GPU talk is yours and not there's because someone needs to read up.

ASICS made GPUS irrelevant to bitcoin mining over three years ago, that ship sailed, no one's using GPU to mine bitcoin at all they're power use and hashrate is pure comedy compared to anything bitmain makes.

They could flood the market with 4 billion of these and not one GPU would get displaced from mining into gamer's hands Soo.

Like I said someone, is on crack.

Processor 11700
Motherboard TUF z590
Memory G.Skill 32gb 3600mhz
Video Card(s) ROG Vega 56
Case Deepcool
Power Supply RM 850
Yeh only 249 to go , then again with luck in ten years the fed etc will release they're cryptos.
Then we can escape country's printing paper add nauseum to Regulate the worth of my ten pounds.
Plus the waste of making and moving around shells with holes in them(sarcasm for actual cash and it's True worth(f all)) would also be gone.

Yes there are a lot of people who think crypto currency as some sort of savior but its not so dreamers can dream and central banks won't stop printing currency.

And ye fully banning is unreal at least in most of the european countries, at least a firm tax must be applied.

I don't like miners, but Intel needs all of the ASICs it could get. TSMC is dominating the market, and no doubt TSMC has plenty of ASICs on its process. Intel needs to get out there and pick up contracts, big or small, and learn how to manufacturer chips for other companies.

Its no news that TSMC has a miner, because everyone recognizes TSMC as the #1 fab-lab in the world. Intel needs to break into that market if they hope to survive.

-----

Intel is late to the party. But that's fine, just having the contract and executing upon it is enough. Ideally, they find more beneficial contracts or better work, but beggars can't be choosers.

-----

EDIT: Wait, this is an Intel internal project? Well... that's not as useful then. Intel probably has some of the best hardware+software optimizers in the world though, so this probably will be a good mining chip. But that's a lot less interesting than I was hoping for... Intel really needs more 3rd party contracts and industry recognition. Internal projects are still fine since Intel probably has idle fabs, but I find it unlikely that this BTC-mining chip will push out in enough volume to be useful.

Last edited:

I agree with almost everything you say there, apart from another coin/token taking ETH's place. ETH currently has a 372 billion market cap. The next mineable coin, RVN, has a 0.9 billion market cap. The next most mined coin, ERG, has < 0.2 billion market cap. If (when) all ETH's GPU hashrate becomes available, the difficulty on these lower cap coins will go through the roof - won't even be worth mining with free electric. IMO, ETH 2.0 spells the end of GPU crypto mining for the next 5 years at least, there's literally nothing for the GPUs to point at afterwards. TONCOIN is profitable currently, but only a small amount of the tokens are allocated to POW.

Processor Ryzen 9 3900x
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 32GB GSkill Ripjaws V 3600CL16
Video Card(s) 3060Ti FE 0.9v
Storage Samsung 970 EVO 1TB, 2x Samsung 840 EVO 1TB
Display(s) ASUS ProArt PA278QV
Case be quiet! Pure Base 500
Audio Device(s) Edifier R1850DB
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex III 650W
Mouse A4Tech X-748K
Keyboard Logitech K300
Software Win 10 Pro 64bit
Is crypto mining is so great, why would any manufacturer sell this shit instead of using it themselves?

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
Wow, that's Bonanzas. <Insert banana emoji here.>

System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
I agree with almost everything you say there, apart from another coin/token taking ETH's place. ETH currently has a 372 billion market cap. The next mineable coin, RVN, has a 0.9 billion market cap. The next most mined coin, ERG, has < 0.2 billion market cap. If (when) all ETH's GPU hashrate becomes available, the difficulty on these lower cap coins will go through the roof - won't even be worth mining with free electric. IMO, ETH 2.0 spells the end of GPU crypto mining for the next 5 years at least, there's literally nothing for the GPUs to point at afterwards. TONCOIN is profitable currently, but only a small amount of the tokens are allocated to POW.
I don't think anything will come along quickly. ETH gained traction largely because when BTC switched to ASICs, all of the previous BTC miners had to find something else to mine. It took a couple of years before ETH came out on top and after that it was the momentum of popularity.

I don't know what the next coin will be after ETH, but I'm fairly sure there will be one. Ravencoin is no longer the most profitable to mine, Autolykos seems to have vanished from whattomine.com too. I guess there's a fight to the death for all the shitty altcoins that needs to take place once ETH moves on :)

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
Dude, they do.

System Name Computer!
Processor i7-6700K
Motherboard AsRock Z170 Extreme 7+
Cooling EKWB on CPU & GPU, 240 slim and 360 Monsta, Aquacomputer Aquabus D5, Aquaaero 6 Pro.
Memory 32Gb Kingston Hyper-X 3Ghz
Video Card(s) Asus 980 Ti Strix
Storage 2 x 950 Pro
Display(s) Old Acer thing
Case NZXT 440 Modded
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Seasonic PII 600W Platinum
Mouse Razer Deathadder Chroma
Keyboard Logitech G15
Software Win 10 Pro
System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
It won't be banned outside the authoritarian world but further taxation is likely.