• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

MSI Partially Reenables AVX-512 Support for Alder Lake-S Processors

AleksandarK

News Editor
Staff member
Intel's Alder Lake processors have two types of cores present, with two distinct sets of features and capabilities enabled. For example, smaller E-cores don't support the execution of AVX-512 instructions, while the bigger P-cores have support for AVX-512 instructions. So Intel has decided to remove support for it altogether not to create software errors and run into issues with executing AVX-512 code on Alder Lake processors. This happened just months before the launch of Alder Lake, making us see some initial motherboard BIOSes come with AVX-512 enabled from the box. Later on, all motherboard makers pulled the plug on it, and it is a rare sight to see support for it.

However, it seems like MSI is unhappy with the lack of AVX-512, and the company is reenabling partial support for it. According to Xaver Amberger, editor at Igor's Lab, MSI reintroduces selecting microcode version with its MEG Z690 Unify-X motherboard. There is an option for AVX-512 enablement in the menu, and it is indeed a functional one. With BIOS A22, MSI enabled AVX-512 instruction execution, and there are benchmarks to prove it works. This shows an advantage of 512-bit wide execution units of AVX-512 over something like AVX2, which offers only 256-bit wide execution units. In applications such as Y-Cruncher, AVX-512 enabled the CPU to reach higher performance targets while consuming less power.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
Interesting choice of words: "reenables". Considering MSI is the maker that didn't offer the option to enable AVX512 initially.

What can I say, it's not really helpful on the desktop, but in the odd case you need AVX512, if Intel already wasted the die area on it, why not have the option avaialble?

If this really works by selecting microcode version then it's a potential security risk. Since Intel disabled AVX-512 in microcode if in the future there's a microcode security update it will also have it disabled. Using this feature will lower CPU security for the sake of enabling AVX-512. It's something that potential users should be aware of.

Processor Intel® Core™ i7-13700K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory 32GB(2x16) DDR5@6600MHz G-Skill Trident Z5
Video Card(s) ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 3080 AMP Holo
Storage 2TB SK Platinum P41 SSD + 4TB SanDisk Ultra SSD + 500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD
Display(s) Acer Predator X34 3440x1440@100Hz G-Sync
Case NZXT PHANTOM410-BK
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium PCIe
Power Supply Corsair 850W
Mouse Logitech Hero G502 SE
Software Windows 11 Pro - 64bit
Benchmark Scores 30FPS in NFS:Rivals
Does any game engines use those instructions set?

System Name Skunkworks
Processor 5800x3d
Motherboard x570 unify
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB 3600 mhz
Video Card(s) asrock 6800xt challenger D
Storage Sabarent rocket 4.0 2TB, MX 500 2TB
Display(s) Asus 1440p144 27"
Case Old arse cooler master 932
Power Supply Corsair 1200w platinum
Mouse *squeak*
Keyboard Some old office thing
Software openSUSE tumbleweed/Mint 21.2
No, as AVX 512 on consumer desktops is only supported by rocket lake (which sold like junk) and alder lake (where it is officially disabled). On mobile it was on cascade lake (which had a grand total of 1 CPU design), as well as ice and tiger lake, although feature support is a mess compared to rocket lake/alder lake.

It's been on intel server chips for the last 5 years but hasnt seen widespread acceptance, in part due to feature support being a mess compared to AVX/AVX2.

It would be nice to see more widespread use, when sins of a solar empire rebellion received AVX support in 2019 it made a huge difference in performance in late game.

No game engine, but there's an open source PS3 emulator (RPCS3) that uses those instructions. Honestly I'm really disappointed with Intel being Intel again, restricting the usage of your new instruction isn't really the way to go if you want to see more widespread adoption, I'm hoping they will wise up when Zen 4 will finally bring AVX 512 instructions on the AMD side...

System Name Skunkworks
Processor 5800x3d
Motherboard x570 unify
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB 3600 mhz
Video Card(s) asrock 6800xt challenger D
Storage Sabarent rocket 4.0 2TB, MX 500 2TB
Display(s) Asus 1440p144 27"
Case Old arse cooler master 932
Power Supply Corsair 1200w platinum
Mouse *squeak*
Keyboard Some old office thing
Software openSUSE tumbleweed/Mint 21.2
No game engine, but there's an open source PS3 emulator (RPCS3) that uses those instructions. Honestly I'm really disappointed with Intel being Intel again, restricting the usage of your new instruction isn't really the way to go if you want to see more widespread adoption, I'm hoping they will wise up when Zen 4 will finally bring AVX 512 instructions on the AMD side...
I mean intel didnt advertise AVX 512 as a feature on alder lake. It's likely there is either something wrong with its implementation on alder lake or intel is worried about potential incompatibility when people disable the E cores.

Seems to me intel would have been better off making a 10 P core i9, but then they couldnt brag about having more threads then AMD or something like that.

I mean intel didnt advertise AVX 512 as a feature on alder lake. It's likely there is either something wrong with its implementation on alder lake or intel is worried about potential incompatibility when people disable the E cores.

Seems to me intel would have been better off making a 10 P core i9, but then they couldnt brag about having more threads then AMD or something like that.
There's no reason to think that there's something wrong with Alder Lake's implementation and disabling the E cores was very much one solution to circumvent the issues with Denuvo's DRM, you lose performance in some workloads, but it should be up to to user how he/she should use his/her CPU (without even mentioning that Intel literally made a die, H0, without any E cores that is used for the lower end parts). Honestly there's no way around it, they're trying to force the few users who actually need AVX 512 instructions to buy the ever delayed Sapphire Rapids, rather than getting high end Alder Lake parts that might fit their needs. But while they keep trying segmenting their offer AMD keeps advancing, I genuinely think that Intel is shooting itself on the feet, unfortunately.

Last edited:
System Name :)
Processor Intel 13700k
Motherboard Gigabyte z790 UD AC
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory 64GB GSKILL DDR5
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC
Storage 960GB Optane 905P U.2 SSD + 4TB PCIe4 U.2 SSD
Display(s) Alienware AW3423DW 175Hz QD-OLED + Nixeus 27" IPS 1440p 144Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent
Audio Device(s) MOTU M4 - JBL 305P MKII w/2x JL Audio 10 Sealed --- X-Fi Titanium HD - Presonus Eris E5 - JBL 4412
Power Supply Silverstone 1000W
Mouse Roccat Kain 122 AIMO
Keyboard KBD67 Lite / Mammoth75
VR HMD Reverb G2 V2
Software Win 11 Pro
No, as AVX 512 on consumer desktops is only supported by rocket lake (which sold like junk) and alder lake (where it is officially disabled). On mobile it was on cascade lake (which had a grand total of 1 CPU design), as well as ice and tiger lake, although feature support is a mess compared to rocket lake/alder lake.

It's been on intel server chips for the last 5 years but hasnt seen widespread acceptance, in part due to feature support being a mess compared to AVX/AVX2.

It would be nice to see more widespread use, when sins of a solar empire rebellion received AVX support in 2019 it made a huge difference in performance in late game.

Cascade Lake wasn't mobile.

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X ||| Intel Core i7-3930K
Motherboard ASUS ProArt B550-CREATOR ||| Asus P9X79 WS
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S ||| Be Quiet Pure Rock
Memory Crucial 2 x 16 GB 3200 MHz ||| Corsair 8 x 8 GB 1333 MHz
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1060 3GB ||| MSI GTX 680 4GB
Storage Samsung 970 PRO 512 GB + 1 TB ||| Intel 545s 512 GB + 256 GB
Display(s) Asus ROG Swift PG278QR 27" ||| Eizo EV2416W 24"
Case Fractal Design Define 7 XL x 2
Audio Device(s) Cambridge Audio DacMagic Plus
Power Supply Seasonic Focus PX-850 x 2
Mouse Razer Abyssus
Keyboard CM Storm QuickFire XT
Software Ubuntu
AVX-512 works fine on Alder Lake with E-cores disabled.
The issue is when you have E-cores enabled, and what happens when a program tries to execute an incompatible instruction on the E-core. I know some have claimed they tried to implement a mechanism to stall the thread and move it to a P-core. If this is true, then the mechanism probably didn't work reliably. I can't believe they didn't realize having different ISA support on cores would result in problems requiring a hardware solution. Either way, it's an embarrassing screw-up from their side.

The proper solution would be to implement AVX-512 on the E-cores too. And contrary to what people would believe, it doesn't have to be very costly. Because the purpose of this implementation would be to prevent stability issues, so it wouldn't have to be a fast implementation. They basically could split up most operations, and just a few would need extra logic.