• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Unveils Radeon Super Resolution, Brings Performance Improvements to Thousands of Games

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
AMD today introduced Radeon Super Resolution (RSR), a new performance enhancement feature that's designed to improve frame-rates of thousands of games, whether or not they feature support for it. Put simply, RSR is a high-quality upscaling algorithm derived from FidelityFX Super Resolution 1.0, which is located on the driver-side, rather than game-side. In games that support FSR, the 3D scene rendered at a lower resolution is put through the FSR upscaler algorithm before post-processing and HUD are applied to its result. RSR doesn't require game-level integration, because it requires the game to simply run at a lower resolution than the display's native resolution; so it could act like a high-quality image upscaling algorithm.

This means that thousands of games can benefit from RSR, as the feature is agnostic to what it's upscaling. There are a couple of wrinkles, though. First, you'll need a Radeon RX 5000 or RX 6000 series GPU, based on the RDNA or RDNA2 graphics architectures. The older "Vega" or "Polaris" architectures don't support it. "Vega" is still a current architecture, given that Ryzen 5000 series processors with Radeon Graphics, use a "Vega" based iGPU. The feature should, however, work with the RDNA2-based iGPU of the Ryzen 6000 "Rembrandt" processor. The second big catch is that since RSR comes later down the rendering pipeline than even HUD application, you may notice low-quality HUDs in some games—especially RTS or RPGs with large cluttered HUDs and inventory icons. RSR is being released through the AMD Software 22.3.1 update today.

We explored RSR in greater technical detail, and tested its performance and image quality for you in our Radeon Super Resolution article.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Nvidia DLSS and Now Radeon with RSR. Sounds like something that basicly turns off some rendering somewhere else to increase performance. The naked eye cannot see it. When I see the slide that says 108 FPS that what the pure hardware can do. then the higher FPS is a gimic or a AI that basicly turns off rendering where it does not need it or blurs the background. I would rather play at 108 fps with everything rendered and keep things clear and sharp like how are eyes view the world.

Nvidia DLSS and Now Radeon with RSR. Sounds like something that basicly turns off some rendering somewhere else to increase performance. The naked eye cannot see it. When I see the slide that says 108 FPS that what the pure hardware can do. then the higher FPS is a gimic or a AI that basicly turns off rendering where it does not need it or blurs the background. I would rather play at 108 fps with everything rendered and keep things clear and sharp like how are eyes view the world.

Don't mix the 2 different technologies. RSR can work globally without the need of games to implement it. On the other hand, Nvidia DLSS similar to Radeon FSR need to be implemented on a game to game basis. Due to how RSR works, it will produce the lowest image quality compared to FSR and DLS.

Don't mix the 2 different technologies. RSR can work globally without the need of games to implement it. On the other hand, Nvidia DLSS similar to Radeon FSR need to be implemented on a game to game basis. Due to how RSR works, it will produce the lowest image quality compared to FSR and DLS.

Still a gimic in them all I don't run 1440p I run 2160p on all my games 4k

IS there anyway of knowing this is working in game, for example you set a lower resolution with RSR enabled in the drivers, but how would you know it is working as intended and instead you're not just rendering the game in the lower resolution without RSR working its magic?