• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Epic Games Announces The Matrix Awakens: An Unreal Engine 5 Experience

Epic Games is excited to announce that The Matrix Awakens: An Unreal Engine 5 Experience is now available to download for free on PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X/S. This boundary-pushing technical demo is an original concept set within the world of Warner Bros' The Matrix. Written and cinematically directed by Lana Wachowski, it features Keanu Reeves and Carrie-Anne Moss reprising their roles as Neo and Trinity and—in a reality-flipping twist—also playing themselves.

The project reunited many of the crew that worked on the seminal The Matrix trilogy, including James McTeigue, Kym Barrett, John Gaeta, Kim Libreri, Jerome Platteaux, George Borshukov, and Michael F Gay, in collaboration with teams across both Epic Games and partners, such as SideFX, Evil Eye Pictures, The Coalition, WetaFX (formerly Weta Digital), and many others.

Wachowski, Libreri, and Gaeta have been friends since the days of the trilogy. "When I told them I was making another Matrix film, they suggested I come and play in the Epic sandbox," says Wachowski. "And Holy Sh*t, what a sandbox it is!

"I imagine the first company to build an actual Matrix—a fully immersive, persistent world—will be a game company and Epic is certainly paving the way there. It's mind-boggling how far games have come in twenty years.

"Keanu, Carrie, and I had a blast making this demo. The Epic sandbox is pretty special because they love experimenting and dreaming big. Whatever the future of cinematic storytelling, Epic will play no small part in its evolution."

With Wachowski and many of the original crew onboard, the team set out to create something with Unreal Engine 5 that's nothing short of spectacular: an experience that merges artforms in exciting new ways. The demo starts out with a cinematic that features exceptionally realistic digital humans, before morphing into a fast-paced interactive experience of car chases and third-person shooter action.

All of this takes place in a huge, bustling, and explorable open-world city that—like the simulated world of The Matrix—is incredibly rich and complex. Sixteen kilometers square, photoreal, and quickly traversable, it's populated with realistic inhabitants and traffic. The experience is a tangible demonstration that UE5 offers all the components you need to build immersive, ultra-high-fidelity environments.

Despite the city's complexity, a relatively small core team was able to create the experience thanks to a set of procedural tools including SideFX's Houdini. Procedural rules define how the world is generated: from the size of the roads and the height of the buildings, all the way down to the amount of debris on the sidewalks.

Using this workflow, you can modify the input rules and the whole city will change, redefined by those new instructions. For small teams looking to build open worlds, that is incredibly powerful. It means you can regenerate the entire city, right up until the last day of delivery, and continue to adjust and improve it. This opens up so many creative possibilities—and proves that any team can make a triple-A-game-quality open world in UE5, irrespective of size.

As for the city in The Matrix Awakens: An Unreal Engine 5 Experience, it's a living, breathing environment that never stops. Because the systems that drive its actors are part of a global simulation that is evaluated continuously, the activity that takes place in the city is far more consistent and believable. Block after block, it ticks with photorealistic AI-driven characters and vehicles—whether you're looking at them or not.

This isn't just a demonstration of the visually stunning environments it's now possible to build, however—it also opens the door to a completely new way of storytelling. The high-fidelity simulation capabilities of UE5 are enabling an entirely new process: cinematic creation through simulation.

Many of the action scenes in the demo originated with crew members driving cars around the city to capture exciting shots. The team was able to use the simulated universe to author cinematic content, like live-action moviemakers scouting a city to find the best streets to tell their story—but without the physical constraints of the real world.

Where our sample project Valley of the Ancient gave a glimpse at some of the new technology available in UE5, The Matrix Awakens: An Unreal Engine 5 Experience goes a step further: it's an interactive experience running in real time that you can download on your Xbox Series X/S or PlayStation 5 today.

The demo features the performance and likeness of Keanu Reeves and Carrie-Anne Moss as incredibly realistic digital humans. To achieve this, Epic's 3Lateral team captured high-fidelity 3D scans of the actor's faces and 4D captures of their performances in their Novi Sad studio.

The open-world city environment includes hero character IO, who was the launch character for MetaHuman Creator, as well as thousands of MetaHuman agents, demonstrating exciting new possibilities for high-fidelity in-game characters at scale.

AI systems drive the characters and vehicles, while procedural systems built using Houdini generate the city. Unreal Engine 5's World Partition system makes the development of the vast environment more manageable.

The movement of vehicles, character clothing, and the destruction of buildings are all simulated in engine using Unreal Engine's Chaos physics system. During the chase experience, because the car crashes are simulated in real time with Chaos, the same crash will never occur twice. It's unique at every run.

The technical demo also puts previously showcased UE5 features Nanite and Lumen through their paces. In a dense, open-world city environment, UE5's virtualized micropolygon geometry system comes into its own.

The city comprises seven million instanced assets, made up of millions of polygons each. There are seven thousand buildings made of thousands of modular pieces, 45,073 parked cars (of which 38,146 are drivable), over 260 km of roads, 512 km of sidewalk, 1,248 intersections, 27,848 lamp posts, and 12,422 manholes. Nanite intelligently streams and processes those billions of polygons, rendering everything at film quality, super fast.

Unreal Engine 5's fully dynamic global illumination system Lumen leverages real-time ray tracing to deliver incredibly realistic lighting and reflections throughout the interactive parts of the demo. Real-time ray tracing is also used for the cinematic element to generate the beautiful, realistic soft shadows of the characters.

Temporal Super Resolution, UE5's next-gen upsampling algorithm, delivers four times more work per pixel than would otherwise be possible, all at the same framerate. That brings more geometric detail, better lighting, and richer effects at higher resolutions to the experience.

The ability to take these technologies and build vast open worlds presents thrilling possibilities as we enter the era of the Metaverse. The Matrix Awakens: An Unreal Engine 5 Experience offers a glimpse at what those worlds could look like. They could be highly stylized like the environments in Fortnite—or they could look almost as real as the physical world.

The Matrix Awakens: An Unreal Engine 5 Experience is not a game, but this tech demo offers a vision for what the future of interactive content could be; from incredibly rich and complex cities and environments, to photoreal, visually arresting cinematic spectacles.

With the release of Unreal Engine 5, creators will have the power to build rich and varied worlds. For consumers and players, a new universe of experiences is on the horizon. And for all of us, the future of interactive storytelling and entertainment is just beginning.

Availability

The Matrix Awakens: An Unreal Engine 5 Experience is now available for PS5 and Xbox Series X/S.

Announcement Video

View at TechPowerUp Main Site | Source

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
Just when you thought the Matrix franchise couldn't sink any lower.

Yeah I won't even bother watching the abomination they released in cinema. I'll rip it somewhere to confirm how shit it is.

So now they try to boost mindshare with this... righteo

The dialogue quality in the trailer speaks volumes. It tries so hard to be funny, its really not. Bottom level comedy... holy crap. I thought the Matrix was about evolutionary questions, this sure isn't following Darwin's law; more like race to bottom.

Also... the amount of nonsense for a pre-cooked CGI trailer in an engine...
"As for the city in The Matrix Awakens: An Unreal Engine 5 Experience, it's a living, breathing environment that never stops. Because the systems that drive its actors are part of a global simulation that is evaluated continuously, the activity that takes place in the city is far more consistent and believable. Block after block, it ticks with photorealistic AI-driven characters and vehicles—whether you're looking at them or not."

Mhm. Sure :D You didn't tailor-make every scene you're showing, but you wasted money on creating a whole logic underneath so that it all magically fits? I suppose console peasants believe that shit.

Last edited:
Yeah I won't even bother watching the abomination they released in cinema. I'll rip it somewhere to confirm how shit it is.

So now they try to boost mindshare with this... righteo

The dialogue quality in the trailer speaks volumes. It tries so hard to be funny, its really not. Bottom level comedy... holy crap. I thought the Matrix was about evolutionary questions, this sure isn't following Darwin's law; more like race to bottom.

Also... the amount of nonsense for a pre-cooked CGI trailer in an engine...
"As for the city in The Matrix Awakens: An Unreal Engine 5 Experience, it's a living, breathing environment that never stops. Because the systems that drive its actors are part of a global simulation that is evaluated continuously, the activity that takes place in the city is far more consistent and believable. Block after block, it ticks with photorealistic AI-driven characters and vehicles—whether you're looking at them or not."

Mhm. Sure :D You didn't tailor-make every scene you're showing, but you wasted money on creating a whole logic underneath so that it all magically fits? I suppose console peasants believe that shit.
It is also available on HMAX in Atmos and DV.

But yeah, wouldn't spend a dime on it otherwise.

System Name Black Knight | White Queen
Processor Intel Core i9-10940X | Intel Core i7-5775C
Motherboard ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore X299G | ASUS Sabertooth Z97 Mark S (White)
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black | Xigmatek Dark Knight SD-1283 Night Hawk (White)
Memory G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 4x8GB DDR4 3600MHz CL16 | Corsair Vengeance LP 4x4GB DDR3L 1600MHz CL9 (White)
Video Card(s) ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 OC | KFA2/Galax GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Hall of Fame Edition
Storage Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, 980 Pro 1TB, 850 Pro 256GB, 840 Pro 256GB, WD 10TB+ (incl. VelociRaptors)
Display(s) Dell Alienware AW2721D 240Hz, ASUS ROG Strix XG279Q 170Hz, ASUS PA246Q 60Hz| Samsung JU7500 48'' TV
Case Corsair 7000D AIRFLOW (Black) | NZXT ??? w/ ASUS DRW-24B1ST
Audio Device(s) ASUS Xonar Essence STX | Realtek ALC1150
Power Supply Enermax Revolution 1250W 85+ | Super Flower Leadex Gold 650W (White)
Mouse Razer Basilisk Ultimate, Razer Naga Trinity | Razer Mamba 16000
Keyboard Razer Blackwidow Chroma V2 (Orange switch) | Razer Ornata Chroma
Software Windows 10 Pro 64bit
That's old news? I played it like back on the day when was announced on the Game Awards....

System Name Dumbass
Processor AMD Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF gaming B650
Cooling Artic Liquid Freezer 2 - 420mm
Memory G.Skill Sniper 32gb DDR5 6000
Video Card(s) GreenTeam 4070 ti super 16gb
Storage Samsung EVO 500gb & 1Tb, 2tb HDD, 500gb WD Black
Display(s) 1x Nixeus NX_EDG27, 2x Dell S2440L (16:9)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/8 140mm SP Fans
Audio Device(s) onboard (realtek?) - SPKRS:Logitech Z623 200w 2.1
Power Supply Corsair HX1000i
Mouse Steeseries Esports Wireless
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
Benchmark Scores https://i.imgur.com/aoz3vWY.jpg?2
While this doesnt belong on the front page, it should have been combined with the U5 PR story.

Of all the games Epic could choose for the first U5 demo, they had to pick this game. Its a poor choice, but its probably the easiest for them to work with in a short time.

That's old news? I played it like back on the day when was announced on the Game Awards....
This alone speaks about the popularity of these 'Game Awards'. :)

While this doesnt belong on the front page, it should have been combined with the U5 PR story.

Of all the games Epic could choose for the first U5 demo, they had to pick this game. Its a poor choice, but its probably the easiest for them to work with in a short time.
I believe they paid a pretty penny for the IP loicences...

Processor Intel® Core™ i7-13700K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory 32GB(2x16) DDR5@6600MHz G-Skill Trident Z5
Video Card(s) ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 3080 AMP Holo
Storage 2TB SK Platinum P41 SSD + 4TB SanDisk Ultra SSD + 500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD
Display(s) Acer Predator X34 3440x1440@100Hz G-Sync
Case NZXT PHANTOM410-BK
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium PCIe
Power Supply Corsair 850W
Mouse Logitech Hero G502 SE
Software Windows 11 Pro - 64bit
Benchmark Scores 30FPS in NFS:Rivals
Wait. No PC version?!? Are they 'tarded??

System Name Dumbass
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
System Name I don't name my systems.
Processor i3-12100F 'power limit removed'
Motherboard Asus Prime B660-PLUS D4
Cooling ID-Cooling SE 224 XT ARGB V3 'CPU', 4x Be Quiet! Light Wings + 2x Arctic P12 black case fans.
Memory 4x8GB G.SKILL Ripjaws V DDR4 3200MHz
Video Card(s) Asus TuF V2 RTX 3060 Ti @1920 MHz Core/950mV Undervolt
Storage 4 TB WD Red, 1 TB Silicon Power A55 Sata, 1 TB Kingston A2000 NVMe, 256 GB Adata Spectrix s40g NVMe
Display(s) 29" 2560x1080 75 Hz / LG 29WK600-W
Case Be Quiet! Pure Base 500 FX Black
Audio Device(s) Onboard + Hama uRage SoundZ 900+USB DAC
Power Supply Seasonic CORE GM 500W 80+ Gold
Mouse Canyon Puncher GM-20
Keyboard SPC Gear GK630K Tournament 'Kailh Brown'
Software Windows 10 Pro
What do you expect? To openly accept and praise every PC/'progressive' steaming pile of goo that WannabeBrothers, sibling Wachowski and Sweeny Todd shove in our throats?

Idk, personally I think as a techdemo its quite impressive on its own and I'm curious how the first AAA UE 5 games will look like and run.
As for the new movie in the franchise, watched it and its not terrible imo but definitely the weakest part. 'did not watch it in cinema, I don't like crowds when I watch movies so I never go there'

It was also announced that the next Tomb Raider will use UE 5, now thats something I'm even more curious about.

Dunno sometimes it feels like ppl just complain for the sake of it and nitpick whatever they can when its not necessary.

System Name The Expanse
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Asus Prime X570-Pro BIOS 5003 AM4 AGESA V2 PI 1.2.0.B
Cooling Corsair H150i Pro
Memory 32GB GSkill Trident RGB DDR4-3200 14-14-14-34-1T (B-Die)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX 24GB (24.3.1)
Storage WD SN850X 2TB / Corsair MP600 1TB / Samsung 860Evo 1TB x2 Raid 0 / Asus NAS AS1004T V2 14TB
Display(s) LG 34GP83A-B 34 Inch 21: 9 UltraGear Curved QHD (3440 x 1440) 1ms Nano IPS 160Hz
Case Fractal Design Meshify S2
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi + Logitech Z-5500 + HS80 Wireless
Power Supply Corsair AX850 Titanium
Mouse Corsair Dark Core RGB SE
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software Windows 10 Pro x64 22H2
Benchmark Scores 3800X https://valid.x86.fr/1zr4a5 5800X https://valid.x86.fr/2dey9c
I was playing around with it last night pretty cool demo. Also noticed it runs much better off my PCIe 4.0 drive than my Sata SSD Raid 0 setup.

matrix demo.PNG

Idk, personally I think as a techdemo its quite impressive on its own and I'm curious how the first AAA UE 5 games will look like and run.
As for the new movie in the franchise, watched it and its not terrible imo but definitely the weakest part. 'did not watch it in cinema, I don't like crowds when I watch movies so I never go there'

It was also announced that the next Tomb Raider will use UE 5, now thats something I'm even more curious about.

Dunno sometimes it feels like ppl just complain for the sake of it and nitpick whatever they can when its not necessary.
Yes, the key thing here is 'personally'. Lex' comment sounds judgemental, as in 'Ugh! Why don't you love it? It's great! It is you who cannot understand it!' way.

I just expressed my opinion that I don't blindly praise anything. I'm not telling anyone what to do or what not to do.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/5za05v
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite
Cooling Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE
Memory 2x16 GB Crucial Ballistix 3600 CL16 Rev E @ 3800 CL16
Video Card(s) RTX3080 Ti FE
Storage SX8200 Pro 1 TB, Plextor M6Pro 256 GB, WD Blue 2TB
Display(s) LG 34GN850P-B
Case SilverStone Primera PM01 RGB
Audio Device(s) SoundBlaster G6 | Fidelio X2 | Sennheiser 6XX
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 750W
Mouse Endgame Gear XM1R
Keyboard Wooting Two HE
It depends on the perspective - it's a good satire on franchise being milked by a corporation.

It's a terrible Matrix sequel, but in my book there are no good Matrix sequels.

System Name Ghetto Rigs z490|x99|Acer 17 Nitro 7840hs/ 5600c40-2x16/ 4060/ 1tb acer stock m.2/ 4tb sn850x
Processor 10900k w/Optimus Foundation | 5930k w/Black Noctua D15
Motherboard z490 Maximus XII Apex | x99 Sabertooth
Cooling oCool D5 res-combo/280 GTX/ Optimus Foundation/ gpu water block | Blk D15
Memory Trident-Z Royal 4000c16 2x16gb | Trident-Z 3200c14 4x8gb
Video Card(s) Titan Xp-water | evga 980ti gaming-w/ air
Storage 970evo+500gb & sn850x 4tb | 860 pro 256gb | Acer m.2 1tb/ sn850x 4tb| Many2.5" sata's ssd 3.5hdd's
Display(s) 1-AOC G2460PG 24"G-Sync 144Hz/ 2nd 1-ASUS VG248QE 24"/ 3rd LG 43" series
Case D450 | Cherry Entertainment center on Test bench
Audio Device(s) Built in Realtek x2 with 2-Insignia 2.0 sound bars & 1-LG sound bar
Power Supply EVGA 1000P2 with APC AX1500 | 850P2 with CyberPower-GX1325U
Mouse Redragon 901 Perdition x3
Keyboard G710+x3
Software Win-7 pro x3 and win-10 & 11pro x3
Benchmark Scores Are in the benchmark section
System Name B20221017 Pro SP1 R2 Gaming Edition
Processor AMD Ryzen 7900X3D
Motherboard Asus ProArt X670E-Creator
Cooling NZXT Kraken Z73
Memory G.Skill Trident Z DDR5-6000 CL30 64GB
Video Card(s) NVIDIA RTX 3090 Founders Edition
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 2TB + Samsung 870 Evo 4TB
Display(s) Samsung CF791 Curved Ultrawide
Case NZXT H7 Flow
VR HMD Meta Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Yes, the key thing here is 'personally'. Lex' comment sounds judgemental, as in 'Ugh! Why don't you love it? It's great! It is you who cannot understand it!' way.

I just expressed my opinion that I don't blindly praise anything. I'm not telling anyone what to do or what not to do.
If it was branded anything other than The Matrix you would have praised it, because as a technical demo, it IS impressive. Your fanboism is showing.

System Name Dumbass
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
because as a technical demo, it IS impressive.
if people are properly informed that it is only a tech demo nothing more, people shouldnt be disappointed with the gameplay.

System Name White Theme
Processor Intel 12700K CPU
Motherboard ASUS STRIX Z690-A D4
Cooling Lian Li Galahad Uni w/ AL120 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3200 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Aero 4080 Super 16GB
Storage 2TB Samsung 980 Pro PCIE 4.0
Display(s) Alienware 38" 3840x1600 (165Hz)
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO White
Audio Device(s) 2i2 Scarlett Solo + Schiit Magni 3 AMP
Power Supply Corsair HX 1000 Platinum
I wonder if this will bring current console hardware back to the 30fps trend

Display(s) LG 34GN850P-B
Mouse Endgame Gear XM1R
Keyboard Wooting Two HE
I wonder if this will bring current console hardware back to the 30fps trend
This gives me flashbacks to Enter The Matrix:

What do you expect? To openly accept and praise every PC/'progressive' steaming pile of goo that WannabeBrothers, sibling Wachowski and Sweeny Todd shove in our throats?
Are you blind, or did you not watch that video? Seriously impressive. If you and others don't think the latest Matrix offerings are worthy efforts, hey that's cool. Can't please everyone...

It's a terrible Matrix sequel, but in my book there are no good Matrix sequels.
That is your book. Not every agrees. Some of us enjoyed them all greatly and fail to understand what all the complaining & whining is and has been about.

I was playing around with it last night pretty cool demo. Also noticed it runs much better off my PCIe 4.0 drive than my Sata SSD Raid 0 setup.

View attachment 242695
Nice!

Apparently it requires more than 12 GB of VRAM.
For 4k? Yeah, very likely. No surprise there. Now who was it that was saying we were going to need GPU's with lots of VRAM very soon?...

People with Radeon 16GB and 3090/3090ti cards are going to have fun with this one. Everyone else will have to play at lower setting or at 1440p/1080p resolutions. I'm ok with that.

It's coming. It'll likely be Steam and Epic. GOG would be nice too!

Last edited:
Display(s) LG 34GN850P-B
Mouse Endgame Gear XM1R
Keyboard Wooting Two HE
It's not a game, it's an "experience" i.e. one scripted sequence and a world to walk around in.