• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Apple's Self Service Repair Now Available

AleksandarK

News Editor
Staff member
Apple today announced Self Service Repair is now available, providing repair manuals and genuine Apple parts and tools through the Apple Self Service Repair Store. Self Service Repair is available in the US and will expand to additional countries—beginning in Europe—later this year.

The new online store offers more than 200 individual parts and tools, enabling customers who are experienced with the complexities of repairing electronic devices to complete repairs on the iPhone 12 and iPhone 13 lineups and iPhone SE (3rd generation), such as the display, battery, and camera. Later this year the program will also include manuals, parts, and tools to perform repairs on Mac computers with Apple silicon.

To start the Self Service Repair process, a customer will first review the repair manual for the product they want to repair by visiting support.apple.com/self-service-repair. Then, they can visit the Apple Self Service Repair Store and order the necessary parts and tools.

Every genuine Apple part is designed and engineered for each product, and goes through extensive testing to ensure the highest quality, safety, and reliability. The parts are the same ones—at the same price—as those available to Apple's network of authorized repair providers. For certain repairs, customers will receive a credit when returning a replaced part for recycling.

The Apple tools available to customers on the Self Service Repair Store are the same as used by Apple's repair network. They are custom designed to help provide the best repairs for Apple products, and are engineered to withstand the rigors of high-volume, professional repair operations where safety and reliability are the utmost priority. The high-quality tools offered through Self Service Repair include torque drivers, repair trays, display and battery presses, and more.

Apple will offer tool rental kits for $49, so that customers who do not want to purchase tools for a single repair still have access to these professional repair tools. The weeklong rental kits will ship to customers for free.

Self Service Repair is part of Apple's efforts to further expand access to repairs. For the vast majority of customers who do not have experience repairing electronic devices, visiting a professional repair provider with certified technicians who use genuine Apple parts is the safest and most reliable way to get a repair.

Over the past three years, Apple has nearly doubled the number of service locations with access to genuine Apple parts, tools, and training, including more than 3,000 Independent Repair Providers. A global network of more than 5,000 Apple Authorized Service Providers supports more than 100,000 active technicians. As a result, in the US, eight out of 10 Apple customers are located within 20 minutes of an authorized service provider.

Also today, Apple published a paper, "Expanding Access to Safe, Reliable, and Secure Service and Repair," which details Apple's approach to designing long-lasting products and increasing access to repairs.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name main/SFFHTPCARGH!(tm)/Xiaomi Mi TV Stick/Samsung Galaxy S23/Ally
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D/i7-3770/S905X/Snapdragon 8 Gen 2/Ryzen Z1 Extreme
Motherboard MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk/HP SFF Q77 Express/uh?/uh?/Asus
Cooling Enermax ETS-T50 Axe aRGB /basic HP HSF /errr.../oh! liqui..wait, no:sizable vapor chamber/a nice one
Memory 64gb Corsair Vengeance Pro 3600mhz DDR4/8gb DDR3 1600/2gb LPDDR3/8gb LPDDR5x 4200/16gb LPDDR5
Video Card(s) Hellhound Spectral White RX 7900 XTX 24gb/GT 730/Mali 450MP5/Adreno 740/RDNA3 768 core
Storage 250gb870EVO/500gb860EVO/2tbSandisk/NVMe2tb+1tb/4tbextreme V2/1TB Arion/500gb/8gb/256gb/2tb SN770M
Display(s) X58222 32" 2880x1620/32"FHDTV/273E3LHSB 27" 1920x1080/6.67"/AMOLED 2X panel FHD+120hz/FHD 120hz
Case Cougar Panzer Max/Elite 8300 SFF/None/back/back-front Gorilla Glass Victus 2+ UAG Monarch Carbon
Audio Device(s) Logi Z333/SB Audigy RX/HDMI/HDMI/Dolby Atmos/KZ x HBB PR2/Edifier STAX Spirit S3 & SamsungxAKG beans
Power Supply Chieftec Proton BDF-1000C /HP 240w/12v 1.5A/4Smart Voltplug PD 30W/Asus USB-C 65W
Mouse Speedlink Sovos Vertical-Asus ROG Spatha-Logi Ergo M575/Xiaomi XMRM-006/touch/touch
Keyboard Endorfy Thock 75% <3/none/touch/virtual
VR HMD Medion Erazer
Software Win10 64/Win8.1 64/Android TV 8.1/Android 13/Win11 64
Benchmark Scores bench...mark? i do leave mark on bench sometime, to remember which one is the most comfortable. :o
rental for 49$ typical Apple ... a week of "Apple tools" for 49 or a "till it break" iFixit toolkit for 69, glad i did not wait on them.

well, glad they are supporting that now (albeit still in a closed controlled manner) but basically charging for what a lot of peoples did back, me included, is indeed typical Apple ...
their professional "Apple tools" make me laugh, and i dread of the price of the parts they will provide ... :laugh:

but yeah, that's a step forward (the supporting that behavior is.)

Apple will offer tool rental kits for $49, so that customers who do not want to purchase tools for a single repair still have access to these professional repair tools. The weeklong rental kits will ship to customers for free.
What's the logic behind this, except of course $$$ :wtf:

If you don't want to deal with the issues from being in a closed proprietary tech eco system, don't buy any apple products?

I guess they've been forced to do this by the right to repair movement, better than nothing...

Keullo-e

S.T.A.R.S.
System Name 4K-gaming
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X up to 5.05GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte B550M Aorus Elite
Cooling Custom loop (CPU+GPU, 240 & 120 rads)
Memory 32GB Kingston HyperX Fury @ DDR4-3466
Video Card(s) PowerColor RX 6700 XT Fighter OC/UV
Storage ~4TB SSD + 6TB HDD
Display(s) Acer 27" 4K120 IPS + Lenovo 32" 4K60 IPS
Case Corsair 4000D Airflow White
Audio Device(s) Asus TUF H3 Wireless
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Roccat Vulcan 121 AIMO
VR HMD Oculus Rift CV1
Software Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores It runs Crysis remastered at 4K
No repair manual for anything below a iphone 12 though, bit cack.
Yep. I'd love to refurb my iP 8+ myself. Maybe they'll bring spare parts for older phones later? At least I hope so.

If you don't want to deal with the issues from being in a closed proprietary tech eco system, don't buy any apple products?
I used Android phones for ~5 years until I switched back to iOS and I don't regret that. Apple has its limitations but at least iPhones have a much longer support in general for example.

Processor i7 6700k
Motherboard Asus Z170 Pro Gaming/AURA
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 LTT Edition
Memory 2 x 16 GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo 3600MHz CL16-19-19-39
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX580 Nitro+
Storage 970Evo Plus 1TB + 850 EVO 500 GB + WD Red 3 TB + HDST 4TB + Seagate 6TB
Display(s) 2x Asus MG279Q
Case Cooler Master Haf 912 Plus
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex SF-650F14MG
Mouse Logitech G703
Keyboard Razer Ornata Chroma

I guess they've been forced to do this by the right to repair movement, better than nothing...
Which major phone manufacturer will sell you any of these: display, battery, ports, buttons?
Actually, who sells any of these even for laptops, mirrorless cameras, action cameras, drones, monitors, TVs, and basically any other device you can buy?

Louis Rossmann has a video where he complains that you can't buy anymore laptop displays to replace broken ones, and he works in this industry.

Don't get me wrong, I agree this is done only for the image and to make it look like they do something towards right to repair, but don't argue that only apple does it.

Yep. I'd love to refurb my iP 8+ myself. Maybe they'll bring spare parts for older phones later? At least I hope so.

Can you use parts from the SE? Some parts are probably compatible

edit: they are https://www.ifixit.com/News/41123/h...n-swap-between-the-new-iphone-se-and-iphone-8
wait nevermind, just saw the + there

I used Android phones for ~5 years until I switched back to iOS and I don't regret that. Apple has its limitations but at least iPhones have a much longer support in general for example.

Android were behind on that are for the longest time but hopefully things will continue to improve (especially since qualcomm will start to feel the pressure from in house SoCs and competition from mediatek and unisoc for example)

Which major phone manufacturer will sell you any of these: display, battery, ports, buttons?
Actually, who sells any of these even for laptops, mirrorless cameras, action cameras, drones, monitors, TVs, and basically any other device you can buy?

Louis Rossmann has a video where he complains that you can't buy anymore laptop displays to replace broken ones, and he works in this industry.

Don't get me wrong, I agree this is done only for the image and to make it look like they do something towards right to repair, but don't argue that only apple does it.

Point is you can get third party replacements and tools for a lot of brands.

Apple will sue anyone doing that...

You can also root most devices and take full control if you want to.

Personally don't get why anyone would buy apple gear, and get tied in. I have osx in a VM and that's enough for me.

D

Deleted member 24505

I have used both, I prefer Android for drag and drop music files to the phone. If Apple did that it would make all the difference for me, hate using shitty itunes just to put music files on. It's not like it's even very user friendly even just for that. I went from a IP 8+ to a S20 plus 5g, and for now, not going back.

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
First they take away your repair rights and then they'll sell that back to you for the low, low price of "whatever we feel like charging". Did I get it right?

Keullo-e

S.T.A.R.S.
System Name 4K-gaming
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X up to 5.05GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte B550M Aorus Elite
Cooling Custom loop (CPU+GPU, 240 & 120 rads)
Memory 32GB Kingston HyperX Fury @ DDR4-3466
Video Card(s) PowerColor RX 6700 XT Fighter OC/UV
Storage ~4TB SSD + 6TB HDD
Display(s) Acer 27" 4K120 IPS + Lenovo 32" 4K60 IPS
Case Corsair 4000D Airflow White
Audio Device(s) Asus TUF H3 Wireless
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Roccat Vulcan 121 AIMO
VR HMD Oculus Rift CV1
Software Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores It runs Crysis remastered at 4K
Can you use parts from the SE? Some parts are probably compatible

edit: they are https://www.ifixit.com/News/41123/h...n-swap-between-the-new-iphone-se-and-iphone-8
wait nevermind, just saw the + there

Android were behind on that are for the longest time but hopefully things will continue to improve (especially since qualcomm will start to feel the pressure from in house SoCs and competition from mediatek and unisoc for example)
Yep, I have the larger Plus. Sucks that they haven't made a Plus SE.

ir_cow

Staff member
EBay is about to flood with refurbished apple stuff lol

System Name Cumquat 2021
Processor AMD RyZen R7 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus Strix X670E - E Gaming WIFI
Cooling Deep Cool LT720 + CM MasterGel Pro TP + Lian Li Uni Fan V2
Memory 32GB GSkill Trident Z5 Neo 6000
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ OC RX6800 16GB DDR6 2270Cclk / 2010Mclk
Storage 1x Adata SX8200PRO NVMe 1TB gen3 x4 1X Samsung 980 Pro NVMe Gen 4 x4 1TB, 12TB of HDD Storage
Display(s) AOC 24G2 IPS 144Hz FreeSync Premium 1920x1080p
Case Lian Li O11D XL ROG edition
Audio Device(s) RX6800 via HDMI + Pioneer VSX-531 amp Technics 100W 5.1 Speaker set
Power Supply EVGA 1000W G5 Gold
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core Wired
Keyboard Logitech G915 Wireless
Software Windows 11 X64 PRO (build 23H2)
Benchmark Scores it sucks even more less now ;)
First they take away your repair rights and then they'll sell that back to you for the low, low price of "whatever we feel like charging". Did I get it right?
Yup you got that right

LOL really, I just replaced a Imac power supply. I found a new one for 75.00 Apple wanted 400 bucks.
You can order a whole apple computer cheaper from china in parts and build it yourself.