• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Classic Sci-Fi Survival Horror Is Back When Dead Space Launches January 27, 2023

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
Motive, a studio of Electronic Arts Inc. (NASDAQ: EA) today announced during their Crafting the Tension Art Developer Livestream that Dead Space will officially launch on January 27, 2023 for PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X|S and PC. Dead Space is a remake of the classic sci-fi survival horror game that is being rebuilt from the ground up leveraging the Frostbite game engine. Still remaining true to the original game's thrilling vision, the remake offers enhanced audio and crisp, harrowing visuals that have been carefully reimagined to evoke a new level of immersion and quality.

"Developing this remake has been a lot of fun for us at Motive, as we're true fans of the franchise and want to treat it with the respect it deserves. It's been equally exciting to see players' reactions as we're taking them on this development journey with us," said Phillippe Ducharme, Senior Producer of Dead Space. "We're making great progress on our road to hitting Alpha and we're happy to announce that the game will be launching in January next year. We can't wait for players, both old and new, to see how we've elevated the original experience in the remake to be just as impactful for this generation."

Dead Space puts players in the boots of Isaac Clarke, an everyman engineer on a routine mission to fix a gigantic mining starship, the USG Ishimura. But aboard the Ishimura, a living nightmare awaits. The ship's crew has been slaughtered and infected, and Isaac's girlfriend, Nicole, is missing somewhere on board. Alone and trapped, with only his engineering tools and skills, Isaac faces a battle for survival - not only against terrifying monsters called Necromorphs, but his own crumbling sanity.

Also revealed today in the Dead Space livestream, the team at Motive showcased an early look at how the remake visually evolves and updates the original with in-game props, tools, environments and more being reconstructed to a level of polish and details fit for the next generation of hardware and PCs. Moreover, by combining enhancements like dynamic, volumetric lighting with atmospheric and environmental VFX rendered in full-HDR, Dead Space allows players to confront the frighteningly tight corridors and shadowed hallways of the USG Ishimura with unprecedented levels of immersion for the beloved franchise.

Will Isaac live to unravel the dreadful mystery of what happened to the slaughtered crew and ship, or be forever lost to the cold vacuum of space? Find out when Dead Space officially launches worldwide on January 27, 2023 for PlayStationⓇ5, Xbox Series X|S and PC.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Processor Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master
Cooling ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 360 A-RGB
Memory 32 GB Ballistix Elite DDR4-3600 CL16
Video Card(s) XFX 6800 XT Speedster Merc 319 Black
Storage Sabrent Rocket NVMe 4.0 1TB
Display(s) LG 27GL850B x 2 / ASUS MG278Q
Case be quiet! Silent Base 802
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster AE-7 / Sennheiser HD 660S
Power Supply Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium
Software Windows 11 Pro 64
Hold off on the pre-orders. It's EA.

I have had the original game in my steam library for years. Never got very far in it. Tried again this year to play through and just couldn't do it. It is so janky and with such irritating controls and mappings. If they can address these quality of life issues in the remake, then I may finally be able to enjoy the sci-fi experience I have been wanting out of it at long last.

Another thing to consider is that games publishers have figured out that gamers are increasingly cautious of new releases based on getting burned previously. So they send out a certain favourable copy of the game to first reviewers and then a week later they nerf it with a patch that adds microtransactions or some other insult (GT7 is a recent example). Therefore, not only should you not pre-order, but you should wait at least a week or two after release to really find out what the actual game is truly going to be like.

System Name Miami
Processor Ryzen 3800X
Motherboard Asus Crosshair VII Formula
Cooling Ek Velocity/ 2x 280mm Radiators/ Alphacool fullcover
Memory F4-3600C16Q-32GTZNC
Video Card(s) XFX 6900 XT Speedster 0
Storage 1TB WD M.2 SSD/ 2TB WD SN750/ 4TB WD Black HDD
Display(s) DELL AW3420DW / HP ZR24w
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL
Audio Device(s) EVGA Nu Audio
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Gold 1000W+750W
Mouse Corsair Scimitar/Glorious Model O-
Keyboard Corsair K95 Platinum
Software Windows 10 Pro
"Developing this remake has been a lot of fun for us at Motive, as we're true fans of the franchise and want to treat it with the respect it deserves."

Code for "we're going to bastardize the shit out of this game and it's going to be a mere shadow of it's memory BUT we're forgiven because we're fans."

People who claim to be fans of a work shouldn't be allowed to remake that work because all they end up doing is ruining the original formula.

System Name Dumbass
Processor AMD Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF gaming B650
Cooling Artic Liquid Freezer 2 - 420mm
Memory G.Skill Sniper 32gb DDR5 6000
Video Card(s) GreenTeam 4070 ti super 16gb
Storage Samsung EVO 500gb & 1Tb, 2tb HDD, 500gb WD Black
Display(s) 1x Nixeus NX_EDG27, 2x Dell S2440L (16:9)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/8 140mm SP Fans
Audio Device(s) onboard (realtek?) - SPKRS:Logitech Z623 200w 2.1
Power Supply Corsair HX1000i
Mouse Steeseries Esports Wireless
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
Benchmark Scores https://i.imgur.com/aoz3vWY.jpg?2
Hold off on the pre-orders. It's EA.

I took up this mantle when Dragon Age :Origins launched
Therefore, not only should you not pre-order, but you should wait at least a week or two after release to really find out what the actual game is truly going to be like.
Its a remake so maybe that time frame is about right. New games tho, I like to hold back until the first major patch, cuz we know day1 game launches are junk.

System Name Nebulon-B Mk. 4
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard MSi PRO B650M-A WiFi
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock 4
Memory 2x 24 GB Corsair Vengeance EXPO DDR5-6000
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 7800 XT
Storage 2 TB Corsair MP600 GS, 2 TB Corsair MP600 R2, 4 + 8 TB Seagate Barracuda 3.5"
Display(s) Dell S3422DWG, 7" Waveshare touchscreen
Case Kolink Citadel Mesh black
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-750
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2S
Keyboard Logitech G413 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 single-core: 1,800, multi-core: 18,000. Superposition 1080p Extreme: 9,900.
In other words: EA is soon releasing another game that has already been released once because developer creativity is a thing of the past.

In EA's words: "If we can't make people pay for worthless lootboxes without calling it gambling, we'll just make them pay for something they already have."

Last edited:
System Name Personal Gaming Rig
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI X670E Carbon
Cooling MO-RA 3 420
Memory 32GB 6000MHz
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 ICHILL FROSTBITE ULTRA
Storage 4x 2TB Nvme
Display(s) Samsung G8 OLED
Case Silverstone FT04
EA quality:

25% time arguing and re-start
25% time in development
1% time debug
45% time slicing the finished game into 10 DLCs
The rest are time spent on social media for ads

Processor AMD Ryzen R7 5700X
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Alpenföhn Dolomit Premium
Memory Kingston Fury Beast 16 GB
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4070 Dual OC 12 GB
Storage Kingston Fury Renegade 1 TB, Western Digital Red 2 TB
Display(s) Dell G2724D
Case Fractal Design Meshify 2 Compact
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar DSX + Microlab B-77
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GX-550
Mouse Zowie ZA11
Keyboard Genius KB-235
Software Windows 10 Pro
Why not remake the entire series like Mass Effect?

Keullo-e

S.T.A.R.S.
System Name 4K-gaming
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X up to 5.05GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte B550M Aorus Elite
Cooling Custom loop (CPU+GPU, 240 & 120 rads)
Memory 32GB Kingston HyperX Fury @ DDR4-3466
Video Card(s) PowerColor RX 6700 XT Fighter OC/UV
Storage ~4TB SSD + 6TB HDD
Display(s) Acer 27" 4K120 IPS + Lenovo 32" 4K60 IPS
Case Corsair 4000D Airflow White
Audio Device(s) Asus TUF H3 Wireless
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Roccat Vulcan 121 AIMO
VR HMD Oculus Rift CV1
Software Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores It runs Crysis remastered at 4K
Why not remake the entire series like Mass Effect?
Maybe they do those once at a time, dunno.

Never played the originals much so I guess I should try them first. I only remember that my then-HD 3850 ran it fine.

Processor Ryzen 5 5700x
Motherboard B550 Elite
Cooling Thermalright Perless Assassin 120 SE
Memory 32GB Fury Beast DDR4 3200Mhz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 3060 ti gaming oc pro
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1TB, WD SN850x 1TB, plus some random HDDs
Display(s) LG 27gp850 1440p 165Hz 27''
Case Lian Li Lancool II performance
Power Supply MSI 750w
Mouse G502
I really want to play it again in i guess better graphics (the game still looks pretty dencent) but i will not give money to the killers of the franchise and studio.

Give it Vulkan API & I will be interested in buying. Already own original on GOG.

I have had the original game in my steam library for years. Never got very far in it. Tried again this year to play through and just couldn't do it. It is so janky and with such irritating controls and mappings. If they can address these quality of life issues in the remake, then I may finally be able to enjoy the sci-fi experience I have been wanting out of it at long last.

Another thing to consider is that games publishers have figured out that gamers are increasingly cautious of new releases based on getting burned previously. So they send out a certain favourable copy of the game to first reviewers and then a week later they nerf it with a patch that adds microtransactions or some other insult (GT7 is a recent example). Therefore, not only should you not pre-order, but you should wait at least a week or two after release to really find out what the actual game is truly going to be like.
You are missing out, its one of the best games ever made, I agree at first the control scheme feels wrong and I think it took me 3 attempts to get into it, once you stop trying to bend the gameplay to your will its a very rewarding game. one of the few I've played through more than once. (top tip only have one weapon equipped as the ammo drops are dependent on it)

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64

Whaaat? No, DS1 is exactly what it should be.

Play it with a controller, its a console game. The game's controls are what they are because the game wants to limit your options. Its a core theme throughout. And its the reason DS1 stands out. You get the least amount of ammo, guns, and mobility of all three installments. Less is really more here.

I played Dead Space once on KB/Mouse and really, the faster aiming you get from mouse just makes the game way too easy, and kills the suspense, and the whole pacing of the gameplay. This game is designed to advance through careful step, by careful step. That's when the slower aiming just lands perfectly.

TBH I think this game's remake can only go worse, every quality of life improvement won't help it in the slightest, and you can rest assured they will push all sorts of shitty pseudo RPG bullshit.

In other words: EA is soon releasing another game that has already been released once because developer creativity is a thing of the past.

In EA's words: "If we can't make people pay for worthless lootboxes without calling it gambling, we'll just make them pay for something they already have."

Publishers figured out gaming needs to become like popular media and Fashion. You re-release the same trends every odd cycle of years, and the industry 'follows itself'.

We recently had our compulsory Zombie period, followed by Norse period, now we're back to Sci Fi.
Alongside that, because these themed periods do follow up quite rapidly (need to meet YoY sales eh), we also have the 'remake and refurbish cycle', where old content gets a quick polish so it can be added to the themes to amp up sales of the whole catalog by adding some nostalgia buttons.

Let's identify that this is not EA specific, in fact, EA is pretty late on picking up on this way to do business. They were busier pushing their dystopia of MTX and DLC and cut features from base games, until Battlefront blew up in their faces, they finally got a reality check they should've had during the relase of SimCity and a host of others... they saw the dead bodies and regiments of lost talent and realized 'shit, we're doing it wrong'. For EA, the only real option they have now is let their young, disfunctional dev studios look at code of developers that did have actual talent and insights to somehow claw back to something anyone would actually want to play. Look at the Mass Effect remake. Only a studio with no direction can do so little and call it new.

Last edited:
Processor AMD Phenom II X4 925
Motherboard Asus M4A78LT-M
Cooling Ice Hammer IH-4***
Memory 2x4GB DDR3 Corsair
Video Card(s) Asus HD7870 2GB
Storage 500GB SATAII Samsung | 500GB SATAII Seagate
Display(s) 23" LG 23EA63V-P
Case Thermaltake V3 Black Edition
Audio Device(s) VIA VT1708S
Power Supply Corsair TX650W
Software Windows 10 x64
"Developing this remake has been a lot of fun for us at Motive, as we're true fans of the franchise and want to treat it with the respect it deserves."

Code for "we're going to bastardize the shit out of this game and it's going to be a mere shadow of it's memory BUT we're forgiven because we're fans."

People who claim to be fans of a work shouldn't be allowed to remake that work because all they end up doing is ruining the original formula.
There's nothing left to "bastardize" after Dead Space 3. Only way is up.

Processor Core i7 920
Motherboard Asus P6T v2
Cooling Noctua D-14
Memory OCZ Gold 1600
Video Card(s) Powercolor PCS+ 5870
Storage Samsung SpinPoint F3 1 TB
Display(s) Samsung LE-B530 37" TV
Case Lian Li PC-B25F
Audio Device(s) N/A
Power Supply Thermaltake Toughpower 700w
Software Windows 7 64-bit

I remember having problems with the controls back in the day, check out these fixes to see if it helps:

I don't see anything that makes me want to buy a re-hashed version of Dead Space -- it wasn't all that great of a game even back then. Instead of monster closets like Doom every oversized air vent became a monster closet.

System Name Best AMD Computer
Processor AMD 7900X3D
Motherboard Asus X670E E Strix
Cooling In Win SR36
Memory GSKILL DDR5 32GB 5200 30
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse 7900XT (Watercooled)
Storage Corsair MP 700, Seagate 530 2Tb, Adata SX8200 2TBx2, Kingston 2 TBx2, Micron 8 TB, WD AN 1500
Display(s) GIGABYTE FV43U
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Corsair Void Pro, Logitch Z523 5.1
Power Supply Deepcool 1000M
Mouse Logitech g7 gaming mouse
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 11 Pro 64 Steam. GOG, Uplay, Origin
Benchmark Scores Firestrike: 46183 Time Spy: 25121
If you have had Steam for any length of time the original has been on sale for $2-4 on Steam Sales before Humble existed. The controls were kind of difficult to understand but the atmosphere was insane. I don't see how they are going to sell this for anything near a full price Game, even with the updated visuals.