• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Robotics Starter Kit Kick-Starts the Intelligent Factory of the Future

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
Today AMD announced the Kria KR260 Robotics Starter Kit, the latest addition to the Kria portfolio of adaptive system-on-modules (SOMs) and developer kits. A scalable and out-of-the-box development platform for robotics, the Kria KR260 offers a seamless path to production deployment with the existing Kria K26 adaptive SOMs. With native ROS 2 support, the standard framework for robotics application development, and pre-built interfaces for robotics and industrial solutions, the new SOM starter kit enables rapid development of hardware-accelerated applications for robotics, machine vision and industrial communication and control.

"The Kria KR260 Robotics Starter Kits builds on the success of our Kria SOMs and KV260 Vision AI Starter Kit for AI and embedded developers, providing roboticists with a complete, out-of-the-box solution for this rapidly growing application space," said Chetan Khona, senior director of Industrial, Vision, Healthcare and Sciences Markets at AMD. "Roboticists will now be able to work in their standard development environment on a platform that has all the interfaces and capabilities needed to be up and running in less than an hour. The KR260 Starter Kit is an ideal platform to accelerate robotics innovation and easily take ideas to production at scale."

With industry analyst firm Omdia forecasting the robotics components market to grow at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 20.4 percent between 2019 and 2025, with the overall world markets revenue to increase to approximately $126 billion by 2025, the Kria KR260 end-to-end adaptive robotics platform is expected to deliver nearly a 5X productivity gain over competitive, NVIDIA GPU-based solutions. Additionally, by accelerating the design cycle compared to chip-down design, the Kria SOM portfolio typically offers up to a nine-month savings in time-to-deployment, meaning getting started becomes quick and easy for all kinds of developers with no FPGA expertise required.

Complete Industrial Solution
The KR260 hardware platform provides pre-built interfaces for robotics and industrial solutions that, combined with a growing list of accelerated applications delivered via the AMD-Xilinx App Store, enable easy evaluation and a seamless path to deployment.

Central to the KR260 design experience and making the benefits of adaptive computing more accessible to the robotics community is the Kria Robotics Stack (KRS), an integrated set of robot libraries and utilities that use hardware to accelerate the development, maintenance and commercialization of industrial-grade robotic solutions targeting Kria SOMs. The low-latency, adaptive computing architecture of Kria SOMs implemented with KRS and ROS 2 can deliver over 8X better performance/watt and up to 3.5X lower latency compared to competitive GPU-based solutions.

The KR260 also includes support for the widely-adopted Ubuntu embedded operating system, providing compatibility with the latest long-term support (LTS) versions of Ubuntu Linux Desktop (22.04) from Canonical and ROS 2 Humble Hawksbill.

AMD is collaborating with Open Robotics, the creators of ROS 2 and other open software and hardware platforms for robotics, to validate and ensure compliance of our ROS 2 implementation for the robotics community.

"The Kria SOM family and KR260 Starter Kit provide the robotics community with a great combination of performance, flexibility and rapid development time," said Brian Gerkey, CEO of Open Robotics. "Users can create software-defined hardware and build solutions offering high performance per watt, with security, energy-efficiency and adaptability. Open Robotics is excited to be collaborating with AMD-Xilinx to understand and address the needs of roboticists using hardware acceleration to build new robot applications with the KR260 development platform."

Pricing and Availability
The Kria KR260 Robotics Starter Kit is priced at $349 and is immediately available from AMD and its network of worldwide distributors. The KR260 starter kit adds to the available Kria KV260 Vision AI Starter Kit, providing an easy-to-use development platform for designing vision applications.

For more information, visit the product page.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Processor Ryzen 5700x
Motherboard Gigabyte X570S Aero G R1.1 BiosF5g
Cooling Noctua NH-C12P SE14 w/ NF-A15 HS-PWM Fan 1500rpm
Memory Micron DDR4-3200 2x32GB D.S. D.R. (CT2K32G4DFD832A)
Video Card(s) AMD RX 6800 - Asus Tuf
Storage Kingston KC3000 1TB & 2TB & 4TB Corsair LPX
Display(s) LG 27UL550-W (27" 4k)
Case Be Quiet Pure Base 600 (no window)
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220-VB
Power Supply SuperFlower Leadex V Gold Pro 850W ATX Ver2.52
Mouse Mionix Naos Pro
Keyboard Corsair Strafe with browns
Software W10 22H2 Pro x64
Does North America still have factories?!?
*sad sarcasm*

Processor 3700X
Motherboard X570 TUF Plus
Cooling U12
Memory 32GB 3600MHz
Video Card(s) eVGA GTX970
Storage 512GB 970 Pro
Case CM 500L vertical
Quad core A53 with two R5f cores. Mali 400 MP2. 4GB RAM, 16GB eMMC. FPGA part has 256K cells, 1248 DSPs, 26.6Mb memory (I'm assuming configurable SRAM portions of the cells/slices/etc). Outside of the featured roles, I don't know if you need a license to use Vivado for the Ultrascale MPSoC (as a normal FPGA+CPU). Would be a somewhat interesting replacement for the Zync 7020 in the TUL PYNQ Z2, albeit at higher prices.

Seems to mostly pit this competitively against the Jetson Nano and the Jetson TX2/i.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
Processor i5-6600K
Motherboard Asus Z170A
Cooling some cheap Cooler Master Hyper 103 or similar
Memory 16GB DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) IGP
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250GB
Display(s) 2x Oldell 24" 1920x1200
Case Bitfenix Nova white windowless non-mesh
Audio Device(s) E-mu 1212m PCI
Power Supply Seasonic G-360
Mouse Logitech Marble trackball, never had a mouse
Keyboard Key Tronic KT2000, no Win key because 1994
Software Oldwin
System Name Personal rig & Folder
Processor R9 5900X (VRM-B2) @ 180W/160A/140A | Mfg Wk03/2022
Motherboard Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro V2
Cooling Thermalright PA120 w/ 3x P12, MX-6
Memory 2x16GB Crucial Ballistix 8Gbit Rev.E (DR) @ 3800CL15-18-8-17-34-54-540-1T @ 1.45v, 1900MHz FCLK
Video Card(s) PowerColor Red Devil 6600XT @ C2800MHz/M2300MHz (Samsung) @ 192W TGP | MX-6, TP-3
Storage 1x SK hynix Gold P31 1TB (boot), 1x 2TB TeamGroup MP33 Pro, 1x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf HDD 5900RPM
Display(s) 1x Gigabyte M27Q, 1x Dell 2007WFP, 1x Dell E152FPg
Case Phanteks P500A (non-digital) w/ 4x 140mm Arctic P14 PWM PST CO fans
Audio Device(s) FiiO E10K-TC (USB) -> beyerdynamic DT770 Pro (80ohm)
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex III Gold 750W
Mouse Logitech G203
Keyboard Kingston HyperX Core RGB
Software W10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://hwbot.org/user/machinelearning/ ~ https://hwbot.org/team/warp9_systems/

Space Lynx

Astronaut
*sad sarcasm*

Actually there are a lot of factories in various Republican states still, and most of their wages have doubled in last five years. I have seen this first hand. I regret going to college, I make much less than they do now, lol

The New England region of the United States
System Name Daily Driver(gaming, browsing)
Processor Ryzen 7 3800X
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aurus Pro Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black
Memory 32GB(2x16GB) Patriot Viper DDR4-3200C16
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3060 Ti
Storage Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB (Boot/OS)|Hynix Platinum P41 2TB (Games)|Kingston KC3000 2TB (Misc)
Display(s) Gigabyte G27F
Case Corsair Graphite 600T w/mesh side
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z625 2.1 | cheapo gaming headset when mic is needed
Power Supply Corsair HX850i
Mouse Redragon M808-KS Storm Pro (Great Value)
Keyboard Redragon K512 Shiva replaced a Corsair K70 Lux - Blue on Black
VR HMD Nope
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores Nope
*sad sarcasm*
I live in a more rural area of the Northeastern US. We have several factories in my little town of 7,000 people and no one wants to work in them, including the people who do work in them! I think one person I know who works in one doesn't absolutely hate it, and she is a low level manager now.

I personally used to work as part of the engineering team for a factory doing automation. Basically troubleshooting PLCs, sensors and computers for running factory equipment and collaborating with engineers to implement new technologies to improve accuracy and productivity. Working in a factory sucks!

Oh, and I had a similar issue to one of the guys who posted previously. I was doing highly technical work, and I was being paid less than some completely uneducated workers in production. They could easily out earn me with their near unlimited overtime. I was salary and working as many hours as most of them, but got nothing for my extra effort.

Processor Ryzen 5700x
Motherboard Gigabyte X570S Aero G R1.1 BiosF5g
Cooling Noctua NH-C12P SE14 w/ NF-A15 HS-PWM Fan 1500rpm
Memory Micron DDR4-3200 2x32GB D.S. D.R. (CT2K32G4DFD832A)
Video Card(s) AMD RX 6800 - Asus Tuf
Storage Kingston KC3000 1TB & 2TB & 4TB Corsair LPX
Display(s) LG 27UL550-W (27" 4k)
Case Be Quiet Pure Base 600 (no window)
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220-VB
Power Supply SuperFlower Leadex V Gold Pro 850W ATX Ver2.52
Mouse Mionix Naos Pro
Keyboard Corsair Strafe with browns
Software W10 22H2 Pro x64
I live in a more rural area of the Northeastern US. We have several factories in my little town of 7,000 people and no one wants to work in them, including the people who do work in them! I think one person I know who works in one doesn't absolutely hate it, and she is a low level manager now.

I personally used to work as part of the engineering team for a factory doing automation. Basically troubleshooting PLCs, sensors and computers for running factory equipment and collaborating with engineers to implement new technologies to improve accuracy and productivity. Working in a factory sucks!

Oh, and I had a similar issue to one of the guys who posted previously. I was doing highly technical work, and I was being paid less than some completely uneducated workers in production. They could easily out earn me with their near unlimited overtime. I was salary and working as many hours as most of them, but got nothing for my extra effort.
Interesting. Yes as an engineer I have had the dubious honour of being on 'salary' also. I think anyone working should be hourly, but that's just my opinion.

We used to have a large metallurgical site here, (closed now except for the crusher/concentrator), it was like a giant and very dirty factory. A lot of people didn't like working there due to the dirtiness, however they said they wouldn't quit cause they would not get the pension, wages, benefits, bonus, and vacation they got there anywhere else. (except if they moved provinces/countries to work in oil & gas or other mining outfits) A lot of factory work can be boring and tedious, but it typically pays more wages, pensions, benefits, etc. than working in a grocery store or almost anywhere else. (for trades, labourers, engineers, etc. of course)

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Interesting. Yes as an engineer I have had the dubious honour of being on 'salary' also. I think anyone working should be hourly, but that's just my opinion.

We used to have a large metallurgical site here, (closed now except for the crusher/concentrator), it was like a giant and very dirty factory. A lot of people didn't like working there due to the dirtiness, however they said they wouldn't quit cause they would not get the pension, wages, benefits, bonus, and vacation they got there anywhere else. (except if they moved provinces/countries to work in oil & gas or other mining outfits) A lot of factory work can be boring and tedious, but it typically pays more wages, pensions, benefits, etc. than working in a grocery store or almost anywhere else. (for trades, labourers, engineers, etc. of course)

we need more people to major in robotics, so we can live in a utopia with robots doing all the work.

on a more serious note though... it would be interesting to fast forward time by like 400 years, and see where humanity will be... lot is going to change between now and then I expect.

Fourstaff

Staff member
System Name Orange! // ItchyHands
Processor 3570K // 10400F
Motherboard ASRock z77 Extreme4 // TUF Gaming B460M-Plus
Cooling Stock // Stock
Memory 2x4Gb 1600Mhz CL9 Corsair XMS3 // 2x8Gb 3200 Mhz XPG D41
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ RX 570 // Asus TUF RTX 2070
Storage Samsung 840 250Gb // SX8200 480GB
Display(s) LG 22EA53VQ // Philips 275M QHD
Case NZXT Phantom 410 Black/Orange // Tecware Forge M
Power Supply Corsair CXM500w // CM MWE 600w
I wonder what kind of robots will use these chips. Seems too powerful to be used on a robot arm, not quite there yet for fully mobile ones.

Processor i7-3770K
Motherboard Biostar Hi-Fi Z77
Cooling Swiftech H20 (w/Custom External Rad Enclosure)
Memory 16GB DDR3-2400Mhz
Video Card(s) Alienware GTX 1070
Storage 1TB Samsung 850 EVO
Display(s) 32" LG 1440p
Case Cooler Master 690 (w/Mods)
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium
Power Supply Corsair 750-TX
Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard G. Skill Mechanical
Software Windows 10 (X64)
Actually there are a lot of factories in various Republican states still, and most of their wages have doubled in last five years. I have seen this first hand. I regret going to college, I make much less than they do now, lol
Because their wages were already low, since they are working in "work for less" states with no union representation.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Because their wages were already low, since they are working in "work for less" states with no union representation.

cost of living was also low though. our house costs around $450 a month, and is 5x as a big most houses in California that prob cost 3k a month. for people locked into those good 30 year mortgages, who were making 8 an hr, they are still locked into those mortgages but now making 20 an hr - life is good now since their rent is still 450 a month, doing way better than most people in the country. its weird I admit, but lot of people are doing better than ever in the midwest if they are in a situation like this, I know many.

and once the mortgage is paid off, all bank. most people don't realize how important owning your own home and land is though, and frankly its a little too late to buy a mortgage now with the insane prices.

The New England region of the United States
System Name Daily Driver(gaming, browsing)
Processor Ryzen 7 3800X
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aurus Pro Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black
Memory 32GB(2x16GB) Patriot Viper DDR4-3200C16
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3060 Ti
Storage Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB (Boot/OS)|Hynix Platinum P41 2TB (Games)|Kingston KC3000 2TB (Misc)
Display(s) Gigabyte G27F
Case Corsair Graphite 600T w/mesh side
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z625 2.1 | cheapo gaming headset when mic is needed
Power Supply Corsair HX850i
Mouse Redragon M808-KS Storm Pro (Great Value)
Keyboard Redragon K512 Shiva replaced a Corsair K70 Lux - Blue on Black
VR HMD Nope
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores Nope
cost of living was also low though. our house costs around $450 a month, and is 5x as a big most houses in California that prob cost 3k a month. for people locked into those good 30 year mortgages, who were making 8 an hr, they are still locked into those mortgages but now making 20 an hr - life is good now since their rent is still 450 a month, doing way better than most people in the country. its weird I admit, but lot of people are doing better than ever in the midwest if they are in a situation like this, I know many.

and once the mortgage is paid off, all bank. most people don't realize how important owning your own home and land is though, and frankly its a little too late to buy a mortgage now with the insane prices.
Sounds very different compared to where I lived just a few years back, in the southeast. A lot of the working poor there made federal minimum wage($7.25) in the local factories. I only lived there for about nine months before returning to the northeast. The lower cost of living didn't make up for the lower wages there. It wasn't even close, and I worked in IT at a hospital. I can't imagine what the people drudging through in the sweat shops felt like.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Sounds very different compared to where I lived just a few years back, in the southeast. A lot of the working poor there made federal minimum wage($7.25) in the local factories. I only lived there for about nine months before returning to the northeast. The lower cost of living didn't make up for the lower wages there. It wasn't even close, and I worked in IT at a hospital. I can't imagine what the people drudging through in the sweat shops felt like.

that's fair, America is a big place. its best we don't generalize imo and I am at fault of that too