• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Sony Electronics Introduces Additional Model to LinkBuds Series, a New Frontier for Headphones - LinkBuds S

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/5za05v
Sony Electronics Inc. today announced their newest addition to the LinkBuds series: LinkBuds S. The latest model empowers a new sound experience through Sony's sensing technology and partner collaboration, while retaining a "Never Off" wearing experience perfect for staying connected to online and offline worlds due to their ultra-small and lightweight design with natural ambient sound. By leveraging sensor and spatial sound technology, they deliver new and immersive sound for AR games such as Niantic's game Ingress. for consumers looking for new options for entertainment beyond music and calls. The model also makes music listening easier than ever with a new and unique "Auto Play" feature. By detecting the listener's environment, such as wearing LinkBuds S, the feature enables their music to play automatically, delivered accordingly to their activity.

LinkBuds S are perfect for streaming content all day long. Consumers can enjoy music, video, or social media content just as the creator intended with Sony's highly acclaimed noise canceling technology and high-resolution capability. Sony Electronics has engineered these remarkably small and lightweight truly wireless headphones with comfort in mind. LinkBuds S combine a shape that matches the human ear with an ergonomic design for a more stable fit to avoid discomfort in the ear that gets in the way of entertainment.

Adaptive Sound Control and Auto Play for seamless music listening
LinkBuds S provide music listeners with the best of both worlds. These headphones combine the LinkBuds' innovative ambient sound concept that lets the listener interact with the world around them, with high-quality noise canceling technology allowing them to focus on the content they love and nothing else. Consumers can step into a coffee shop and quickly order with ease, then just as quickly sit back and enjoy their favorite entertainment distraction-free.

Adaptive Sound Control is a smart function that senses the user's activity, then adjusts ambient sound settings for the ideal experience. With Auto Play, LinkBuds S can automatically play music as soon as the headphones are put on or end a call, auto-triggering music to play based on behavior, such as going on a mood-boosting walk.

Auto Play automatically delivers music and audio notifications right when a listener needs them. Headphone sensors work with a unique algorithm that analyzes activity. For instance, when the listener was wearing headphones earlier, or is on the move after finishing a call, the headphones will resume music from Spotify or soundscapes from Endel based on pre-sets configured by the user Additionally, audio notifications can be read aloud without pausing music.

A new sound experience for AR gaming
Sony is collaborating with its partner company Niantic in the area of audio AR by developing an AR game that can be enjoyed both visually and audibly. When playing the game "Ingress" using LinkBuds S, the sensor and spatial sound technology enable players to enjoy a new experience with sound delivered according to the direction they are facing.

Crystal clear calls
Making a call on a noisy street or on a windy day has never been easier with LinkBuds S, thanks to Sony's Precise Voice Pickup Technology that optimally controls the microphones on both earbuds and with the use of a mesh structure around the microphones. Consumers can enjoy crystal clear conversations, letting them catch up with colleagues and friends no matter where they are.

Immersive sound, authentic music
LinkBuds S create immersive sound and authentic reproduction, so users can enjoy their music, video or social media content just as the creator intended.

With the help of a new 5 mm driver unit, these small earbuds pack a punch, producing powerful bass and stunningly clear vocals despite their size, bringing out the best in whatever genre or entertainment you choose. Sony's Integrated Processor V1 improves noise canceling, enhances sound quality, and reduces distortion with less power for distraction-free listening perfect for busy commutes.
5 mm
These new headphones also allow the listener to experience High-Resolution Audio Wireless, thanks to Sony's industry-adopted audio coding technology, LDAC. All music will be restored back to high range sound with the use of DSEE Extreme 5 that upscales digital music files in real time, allowing the listener to appreciate all the fine-details the artist recorded into their most-loved tracks.

Effortless hands-free control
Life should be full of interactions, so with the help of Speak-to-Chat, based on precise Voice Pickup technology, music will automatically pause when the user needs to speak to someone, making it easier than ever to have a conversation when their hands are full.

These new headphones are also Google Assistant and Alexa compatible, helping with everyday tasks for hands-free help on the go. Users can connect with friends and family, get information, listen to music, set reminders and more, just say "Ok Google" or "Alexa" to activate their preferred voice assistant.

Full control with just a few taps
Thanks to the intuitive touch sensor control panel, consumers can change their sound settings, activate Quick Attention, and even resume Spotify music playback or Endel with just a few taps on the earbuds. Endel creates personalized soundscapes that give the body and mind what they each need to achieve better focus, relaxation or sleep while enjoying total sonic immersion.

Easy Bluetooth Pairing with Fast & Swift Pair
LinkBuds S support Google's new Fast Pair feature where users can pair the headphones with their Android device quickly and easily. Swift Pair makes it quick and easy to pair headphones to Windows 11 or Windows 10 laptops, desktop PCs or tablets via Bluetooth. If there are multiple devices to connect, it is simple to automatically switch to a new device with just a tap of the play button.

Next generation Bluetooth audio
These earbuds are ready for LE Audio next generation Bluetooth audio that enables ultra-low latency that is ideal for gaming.

Made with the environment in mind
LinkBuds S aren't only designed to be slick and stylish, but also with the environment in mind. Like the rest of the LinkBuds series, all packaging on the headphones are plastic free and the headphones use recycled materials from automobile parts reflecting Sony's commitment to reducing the environmental impact of their products.

Stay connected with others with long battery life
Sony understands how important it is to audiences to enjoy their favorite content on their smartphone without anything getting in the way of their listening experience. Therefore, Sony has packed LinkBuds S with a full working day of charge, up to 6 hours with noise canceling from the headphones and storing another 14 hours in the stylish, compact charging case. Even when in a rush, just a 5-minute quick charge offers up to 60 minutes of play time.

Messages from Sony's partners
LinkBuds S connect online and offline worlds and will continue to provide various services for better and new sound experiences. Here are some messages from some of Sony's strategic partners.

"Niantic has a vision of a 'Real World Metaverse,' which means adding the AR digital layers onto the real world," said Archit Bhargava, Director of Product Marketing at Niantic, Inc. "Currently, the AR layers are visual layers, however, we believe that adding a sound layer will create a richer AR experience and it makes the real world more enjoyable and convenient. Sony's LinkBuds series adds the sound layer without compromising the visual and audio information of the real world. When it is used with the various games offered by Niantic, they can create a richer, more enjoyable gaming experience. Ingress, which is celebrating its tenth milestone this year, is going to have a new feature before the summer. We hope players will enjoy the feature with the LinkBuds series. Also, please stay tuned for the AR experience by the combination of LinkBuds series and our Lightship platform, which is the foundation of Niantic's game titles, which shall be available soon."

"At Spotify, we're always working to create the most seamless listening experience for every moment," said Edward Layoun, Product Director at Spotify. "It's one of the reasons we're so excited about our ongoing partnership with Sony. Spotify Tap on LinkBuds S provides an easy way to bring music to your ears without having to reach for your phone. Simply tap to get the music playing right away and tap further to enjoy great recommendations made just for you. We look forward to continuously innovating whilst delivering more seamless experiences together with Sony."

"Our vision is to make wellness accessible to all through the power of sound," said Oleg Stavitsky, Co-Founder and CEO of Endel. "Endel is a science-backed technology that creates personalized, adaptive soundscapes to help people focus, relax, said, and sleep. The integration with Sony's LinkBuds series and sensor technology enables a genuinely seamless functional sound experience for any moment of the day, be it commuting, a relaxation break, a power nap, or a deep work session."

Pricing and availability
LinkBuds S have a suggested retail price of $199.99 and will be available for purchase on May 20, 2022, or for pre-order today in color options White or Black at Sony.com, Amazon and other authorized dealers. Exclusively at Best Buy, a third color option will be available, Ecru.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site | Source

Space Lynx

Astronaut
If they could make the noise cancelling as good as the MX5 I'd be happy to get these... but I think the earbuds always do ANC a little less

TheLostSwede

News Editor
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
If they could make the noise cancelling as good as the MX5 I'd be happy to get these... but I think the earbuds always do ANC a little less
They should be similar to the wf-1000xm4, but I haven't tried those yet, but my SO are getting hers tomorrow, so once she's back from her business trip, I'll give them a go.
I doubt they'll be as good as over ear cans though, unless you get a really good seal in your ears.

They should be similar to the wf-1000xm4, but I haven't tried those yet, but my SO are getting hers tomorrow, so once she's back from her business trip, I'll give them a go.
I doubt they'll be as good as over ear cans though, unless you get a really good seal in your ears.
I just recently go the WF-1000XM4 and I already have WH-1000XM3. The thing that I find hard to get over is the feeling like I have plugged my ears with my fingers. All the noises from my breathing or mouth are amplified. I'm not sure if this is something to do with the WF-1000XM4 or just me having forgotten how in-ears feel. Or maybe the foam ear tips are not to my liking. I haven't worn in-ear in a long time.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
I just recently go the WF-1000XM4 and I already have WH-1000XM3. The thing that I find hard to get over is the feeling like I have plugged my ears with my fingers. All the noises from my breathing or mouth are amplified. I'm not sure if this is something to do with the WF-1000XM4 or just me having forgotten how in-ears feel. Or maybe the foam ear tips are not to my liking. I haven't worn in-ear in a long time.
I didn't like the WF-1000XM3's at all, as my SO have those, very odd fit in your ears. I normally wear in-ears, but wired with no noise cancelling and silicon tips. Not keen of foam tips. The 3's are having all sorts of weird Bluetooth limitations as well, not sure what Sony was thinking and very few issues have been addressed.

Apparently the Linkbuds S will get Bluetooth LE audio support down the road for those interested in that.

Processor Ryzen 5 5700x
Motherboard B550 Elite
Cooling Thermalright Perless Assassin 120 SE
Memory 32GB Fury Beast DDR4 3200Mhz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 3060 ti gaming oc pro
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1TB, WD SN850x 1TB, plus some random HDDs
Display(s) LG 27gp850 1440p 165Hz 27''
Case Lian Li Lancool II performance
Power Supply MSI 750w
Mouse G502
seems weird to release this so close to the XM4 (i bought them), they are apparently a lot smaller and lighter, and that's great, now i don't know about the rest.

The "powerfull bass" and the naming (very unSony like) really makes it clear to me why they exist and who are they for.

I own the Hxm3 and the Fxm4 and you described it perfectly

These seem great. I've been looking for small and compact ANC buds that also perhaps have some Hi-Res codec on board and are not too flashy. I was thinking about getting the 1More Comfobuds Mini but their availability is poor and they lack LDAC (cost is about 80-100€). Now im thinking i will get Linkbuds S instead even tho they're more expensive.

The only thing missing from these are optional earfins in the package. But im hoping the compact size and small weight is enough to stop them from falling out.
Feature wise i would gladly get XM4's or Anker Soundcore Liberty 3 Pro's but they're too heavy and bulky. In Anker's case too flashy too.

Processor Ryzen 5 5700x
Motherboard B550 Elite
Cooling Thermalright Perless Assassin 120 SE
Memory 32GB Fury Beast DDR4 3200Mhz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 3060 ti gaming oc pro
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1TB, WD SN850x 1TB, plus some random HDDs
Display(s) LG 27gp850 1440p 165Hz 27''
Case Lian Li Lancool II performance
Power Supply MSI 750w
Mouse G502
These seem great. I've been looking for small and compact ANC buds that also perhaps have some Hi-Res codec on board and are not too flashy. I was thinking about getting the 1More Comfobuds Mini but their availability is poor and they lack LDAC (cost is about 80-100€). Now im thinking i will get Linkbuds S instead even tho they're more expensive.

The only thing missing from these are optional earfins in the package. But im hoping the compact size and small weight is enough to stop them from falling out.
Feature wise i would gladly get XM4's or Anker Soundcore Liberty 3 Pro's but they're too heavy and bulky. In Anker's case too flashy too.

i only seen videos and pics but these seem to have the same type of tips as the XM3 had, they were awful from personal experience. <the ones on the XM4 are awesome and come with 3 sizes included. I guess you can't have everything.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Only tried the WF-1000MXM4 for a short while, but I was impressed. Very nice sounding an good fit, unlike the XM3s.
The only thing I found a bit strange was that they only came with a type of comply foam tips, but shaped like the usual silicon eartips. I'd say they didn't feel bad, but I might have to test with different tips to see how it feels.