• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel LGA1851 to Succeed LGA1700, Probably Retain Cooler Compatibility

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
Intel's next-generation desktop processor socket will be the LGA1851. Leaked documents point to the next-generation socket being of identical dimensions to the current LGA1700, despite the higher pin-count, which could indicate cooler compatibility between the two sockets, much in the same way as the LGA1200 retained cooler-compatibility with prior Intel sockets tracing all the way back to the LGA1156. The current LGA1700 will service only two generations of Intel Core, the 12th Generation "Alder Lake," and the next-gen "Raptor Lake" due for later this year. "Raptor Lake" will be Intel's last desktop processor built on a monolithic silicon, as the company transitions to multi-chip modules.

Intel Socket LGA1851 will debut with the 14th Gen Core "Meteor Lake" processors due for late-2023 or 2024; and will hold out until the 15th Gen "Arrow Lake." Since "Meteor Lake" is a 3D-stacked MCM with a base tile stacked below logic tiles; the company is making adjustments to the IHS thickness to end up with an identical package thickness to the LGA1700, which would be key to cooler-compatibility, besides the socket's physical dimensions. Intel probably added pin-count to the LGA1851 by eating into the "courtyard" (the central gap in the land-grid), because the company states that the pin-pitch hasn't changed from LGA1700.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site | Source

System Name 3 desktop systems: Gaming / Internet / HTPC
Processor Ryzen 5 5500 / Ryzen 5 4600G / FX 6300 (12 years latter got to see how bad Bulldozer is)
Motherboard MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max (1) / MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max (2) / Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3
Cooling Νoctua U12S / Segotep T4 / Snowman M-T6
Memory 16GB G.Skill RIPJAWS 3600 / 16GB G.Skill Aegis 3200 / 16GB Kingston 2400MHz (DDR3)
Video Card(s) ASRock RX 6600 + GT 710 (PhysX)/ Vega 7 integrated / Radeon RX 580
Storage NVMes, NVMes everywhere / NVMes, more NVMes / Various storage, SATA SSD mostly
Display(s) Philips 43PUS8857/12 UHD TV (120Hz, HDR, FreeSync Premium) ---- 19'' HP monitor + BlitzWolf BW-V5
Case Sharkoon Rebel 12 / Sharkoon Rebel 9 / Xigmatek Midguard
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Chieftec 850W / Silver Power 400W / Sharkoon 650W
Mouse CoolerMaster Devastator III Plus / Coolermaster Devastator / Logitech
Keyboard CoolerMaster Devastator III Plus / Coolermaster Devastator / Logitech
Software Windows 10 / Windows 10 / Windows 7
A! Great. A new socket. So people buying Raptor Lake CPUs wouldn't be able to upgrade to the next gen of Intel CPUs.

So contrary to certain rumors leaked MLID, MTL-s and ARL-s will use LGA 1851 instead of 2551 ?

System Name Nebulon-B Mk. 4
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard MSi PRO B650M-A WiFi
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock 4
Memory 2x 24 GB Corsair Vengeance EXPO DDR5-6000
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 7800 XT
Storage 2 TB Corsair MP600 GS, 2 TB Corsair MP600 R2, 4 + 8 TB Seagate Barracuda 3.5"
Display(s) Dell S3422DWG, 7" Waveshare touchscreen
Case Kolink Citadel Mesh black
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-750
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2S
Keyboard Logitech G413 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 single-core: 1,800, multi-core: 18,000. Superposition 1080p Extreme: 9,900.
A! Great. A new socket. So people buying Raptor Lake CPUs wouldn't be able to upgrade to the next gen of Intel CPUs.

God, I'm so f****** tired of hearing this from every orifice on the Internet specially from AMD fans. Now let's talk about reality, shall we?

1. Intel has had two CPUs generations per socket for over a decade now, this is not new, OK, amigo?
2. Intel is not a charity and their chipset business is their good source of income.
3. No one forces you to buy into the Intel platform.
4. Absolute most people out there do not upgrade their CPUs so often, nowadays people tend to stick to their PCs for at least 3-7 years if not longer. We are not at the end of the 90s, the early 00s when CPUs became twice as fast in fewer than 36 months. There's absolutely no need to upgrade your CPU so often. Most new AAA games, we are all CPU enthusiasts here, aren't we?, are heavily GPU bound, not CPU bound. You play competitive 1st person shooters? At 1080p CPUs from 3-5 years ago provide FPSs above 250. Again, no need to upgrade to anything new yet.
5. Almost all the screaming about Intel switching sockets comes from ... AMD fans who for some reasons don't even represent the majority of x86 users (Intel: 68.03% as of May, 2022). Are you OK? Need help?

In no way I vindicate what Intel does - I just do not care. They don't kill people, actively destroy/pollute the environment, don't start wars and don't employ slaves. And they are no longer a monopoly though I'm not a fan of a duopoly (which is not so different in terms of proper competition) in the x86 market but that's what there is. Cut them some slack, OK?

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
Oh, new sockets every second product release

How quaint.

God, I'm so f****** tired of hearing this from every orifice on the Internet specially from AMD fans. Now let's talk about reality, shall we?

1. Intel has had two CPUs generations per socket for over a decade now, this is not new, OK, amigo?
2. Intel is not a charity and their chipset business is their good source of income.
4. Absolute most people out there do not upgrade their CPUs so often, nowadays people tend to stick to their PCs for at least 3-7 years if not longer. We are not at the end of the 90s, the early 00s when CPUs became twice as fast in fewer than 36 months. There's absolutely no need to upgrade your CPU so often. Most new AAA games, we are all CPU enthusiasts here, aren't we?, are heavily GPU bound, not CPU bound. You play competitive 1st person shooters? At 1080p CPUs from 3-5 years ago provide FPSs above 250. Again, no need to upgrade to anything new yet.
5. Almost all the screaming about Intel switching sockets comes from ... AMD fans who for some reasons don't even represent the majority of x86 users (Intel: 68.03% as of May, 2022). Are you OK? Need help?

In no way I vindicate what Intel does - I just do not care. They don't kill people, actively destroy/pollute the environment, don't start wars and don't employ slaves. And they are no longer a monopoly though I'm not a fan of a duopoly (which is not so different in terms of proper competition) in the x86 market but that's what there is. Cut them some slack, OK?
Their strategy contributes to e-waste so if you care about the planet as your snark about wars and slaves suggest, then perhaps you should care about the mountain of e-waste we humans pump out every year. And then perhaps you should care about Intel’s strategy which contributes to e-waste.

Any purchaser of Rocket lake and z590 that wanted to upgrade to alder lake has e-waste as z590 (lga1200) was abandoned in 6 months. The same will be true for z790 buyers. Someone may be interested in z790 because z690 doesn’t have as standard a pcie5.0 m.2 slot. So someone who wants to use an intel platform with a pcie5.0 drive without an adapter card might consider z790. But z790 and lga1700/1800 apparently have no longevity and will be abandoned within 12 months for lga1851.

Arrow lake-s appears to be a compelling upgrade with double the e-core count and a new architecture for both p and e-cores. So someone on z790 wanting to upgrade to arrow lake will have e-waste. Which could have been avoided if intel had longer platform longevity. When intel decided it needed more pins above lga1200 with a new rectangular socket shape compared to the older square one, why not move to lga1851 from the start, why stop at 1700/1800 and then break socket compatibility with 1851? Make it make sense. It’s a money making scheme in my book. Every time socket compatibility is broken, motherboard manufacturers are much more likely to have sales of new motherboards from those who are stuck on an older platform with no upgrade path.

Processor AMD R5 7600X
Motherboard Asrock X670E Pro RS
Cooling Noctua NH-15S
Memory 2*16 GB 5600 CL34
Video Card(s) XFX 6800XT 319 Merc
Storage Samsung 970 Evo
Power Supply Super Flower 850 Gold
Mouse Steelseries 310

I mostly agree, but the whole short life cycle socket does destroy the environment, since the people who do upgrade after 3-4 years will need a new motherboard. But even AMD with their 128 mb BIOS isn't the most unsullied maiden, just a bit better.

P.S. environmental impact starts when they mine the material, and ends when it's disposed of (and 9% recycled), so for example wind mills are just as bad as gas turbines

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506

More e waste isn't the meh you suggest IMHO

Take a deep breath, now, some think differently to you.

But Really don't care enough to debate a page and a half.

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.

Ah, i wish to bring up a logical fallacy:

You're used to people not upgrading CPU's regularly because you cant
If you don't HAVE the option, of course you get used to not doing it!

Those of us on the AMD side? I've had 6CPU's go through one motherboard (GA-X370 Gaming 5)
Ryzen 1400, 1700x, 2700x, 3600x, 3700x, 5800x (albeit, the 5800x was for quick testing, but i plan to put a 5500 or 5600g in there permanently)

As for your point 5... those steam stats? They include PC's for all time. That has nothing to do with buyers of hardware in the present
What about when 80% of sales in germany were AMD CPU's? Do you think that suddenly makes advice on platform longevity irrelevant, because more people use old intel hardware that's no longer for sale?
AMD sales hit 80% for mindfactory.de | TechPowerUp Forum
1654512361053.png

You're getting correct facts, but interpreting them has been skipped in favour of defending what you're used to.

Their strategy contributes to e-waste so if you care about the planet as your snark about wars and slaves suggest, then perhaps you should care about the mountain of e-waste we humans pump out every year. And then perhaps you should care about Intel’s strategy which contributes to e-waste.

Any purchaser of Rocket lake and z590 that wanted to upgrade to alder lake has e-waste as z590 (lga1200) was abandoned in 6 months. The same will be true for z790 buyers. Someone may be interested in z790 because z690 doesn’t have as standard a pcie5.0 m.2 slot. So someone who wants to use an intel platform with a pcie5.0 drive without an adapter card might consider z790. But z790 and lga1700/1800 apparently have no longevity and will abandoned within 12 months for lga1851. Arrow lake s appears to be a compelling upgrade with double the e-core count and a new architecture for both p and e-cores. So someone on z790 wanting to upgrade to arrow lake will have e-waste. Which could have been avoided if intel had longer platform longevity.

You assume every person out there upgrades their CPU every bloody release which is blatantly false. I had my Core i5 2500 for 10 years and upgraded to Ryzen 3700X. It's amazing how you reply to my post while completely ignoring what I said. We've had polls here in TPU on the topic and, nope, even PC enthusiasts don't upgrade their CPUs every year, most do it every 3 to 5 years at which point platform longevity means almost nothing. OK, AMD dragged their AM4 socket for five or six years now? People still swap their motherboards because AM4 motherboards from six years ago terribly suck in terms of IO. The number of people who use 5950X with their six year old motherboards is vanishingly small. This "argument" doesn't stand, period.

You assume every person out there upgrades their CPU every bloody release which is blatantly false. I had my Core i5 2500 for 10 years and upgraded to Ryzen 3700X. It's amazing how you reply to my post while completely ignoring what I said. We've had polls here in TPU on the topic and, nope, even PC enthusiasts don't upgrade their CPUs every year, most do it every 3 to 5 years at which point platform longevity means almost nothing. OK, AMD dragged their AM4 socket for five or six years now? People still swap their motherboards because AM4 motherboards from six years ago terribly suck in terms of IO. The number of people who use 5950X with their six year old motherboards is vanishingly small.
The strategy of holding on to older CPUs for years is not as relevant anymore because Intel is no longer stuck in quad core stagnation with paltry generational IPC uplifts. Ryzen has forced intel to compete, to the point where intel is using external nodes for manufacturing some of their upcoming tiles. Apple left. Which stung. Intel is trying to compete again and is apparently engineering some really cool tech. Therefore, the desire to hold on to a cpu (like say Rocket lake or even alder lake) for 10 years will put you behind the curve of the new lakes that are coming.

Also, perhaps more intel users would upgrade their CPUs more frequently if intel had platform longevity. If Skylake or even comet lake worked in your i5 2500 motherboard, you mean to tell me you wouldn’t have considered upgrading for more IPC or more cores? What would you have done if you had the option to upgrade without needing to throw away or retire your motherboard?

I’m not saying Intel should keep platform compatibility indefinitely but 3 generations would be a good minimum. 2 is far too low in my opinion.

System Name Main setup
Processor i9 12900K
Motherboard Gigabyte z690 Gaming X
Cooling Water
Memory Kingston 32GB 5200@cl30
Video Card(s) Asus Tuf RTS 4090
Storage Adata SX8200 PRO 1 adn 2 TB, Samsung 960EVO, Crucial MX300 750GB Limited edition
Display(s) HP "cheapass" 34" 3440x1440
Case CM H500P Mesh
Audio Device(s) Logitech G933
Power Supply Corsair RX850i
Mouse G502
Keyboard SteelSeries Apex Pro
Software W11
System Name Nebulon-B Mk. 4
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard MSi PRO B650M-A WiFi
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock 4
Memory 2x 24 GB Corsair Vengeance EXPO DDR5-6000
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 7800 XT
Storage 2 TB Corsair MP600 GS, 2 TB Corsair MP600 R2, 4 + 8 TB Seagate Barracuda 3.5"
Display(s) Dell S3422DWG, 7" Waveshare touchscreen
Case Kolink Citadel Mesh black
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-750
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2S
Keyboard Logitech G413 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 single-core: 1,800, multi-core: 18,000. Superposition 1080p Extreme: 9,900.
The strategy of holding on to older CPUs for years is not as relevant anymore because Intel is no longer stuck in quad core stagnation with paltry generational IPC uplifts. Ryzen has forced intel to compete, to the point where intel is using external nodes for manufacturing some of their upcoming tiles. Apple left. Which stung. Intel is trying to compete again and is apparently engineering some really cool tech. Therefore, the desire to hold on to a cpu (like say Rocket lake or even alder lake) for 10 years will put you behind the curve of the new lakes that are coming.

Also, perhaps more intel users would upgrade their CPUs more frequently if intel had platform longevity. If Skylake or even comet lake worked in your i5 2500 motherboard, you mean to tell me you wouldn’t have considered upgrading for more IPC or more cores? What would you have done if you had the option to upgrade without needing to throw away or retire your motherboard?

I’m not saying Intel should keep platform compatibility indefinitely but 3 generations would be a good minimum. 2 is far too low in my opinion.
We can argue day and night about how much better each generation is than the previous one, or how many should be supported by one socket, but the ultimate question that determines whether you upgrade or not will and should always be: "is your PC good enough for your needs?"

We can argue day and night about how much better each generation is than the previous one, or how many should be supported by one socket, but the ultimate question that determines whether you upgrade or not will and should always be: "is your PC good enough for your needs?"
Needs change bro. Intel motherboards are much more expensive than they used to be. Intel is rumored to be adding accelerators to its upcoming lakes. Needs that we’re not necessarily thinking about now could emerge as technology change.

As costs of Intel’s motherboards increase why isn’t platform longevity also increasing too? I would spend $500+ on an intel motherboard if I knew it’d last 3-4 generations. But 2 generations per socket (and one generation for the odd-numbered series like z590, z790) makes me a lot more selective. The increase in costs of Intel’s mobos is not commensurate with the short platform longevity. Intel can and should do better.

System Name I don't name my systems.
Processor i3-12100F 'power limit removed'
Motherboard Asus Prime B660-PLUS D4
Cooling ID-Cooling SE 224 XT ARGB V3 'CPU', 4x Be Quiet! Light Wings + 2x Arctic P12 black case fans.
Memory 4x8GB G.SKILL Ripjaws V DDR4 3200MHz
Video Card(s) Asus TuF V2 RTX 3060 Ti @1920 MHz Core/950mV Undervolt
Storage 4 TB WD Red, 1 TB Silicon Power A55 Sata, 1 TB Kingston A2000 NVMe, 256 GB Adata Spectrix s40g NVMe
Display(s) 29" 2560x1080 75 Hz / LG 29WK600-W
Case Be Quiet! Pure Base 500 FX Black
Audio Device(s) Onboard + Hama uRage SoundZ 900+USB DAC
Power Supply Seasonic CORE GM 500W 80+ Gold
Mouse Canyon Puncher GM-20
Keyboard SPC Gear GK630K Tournament 'Kailh Brown'
Software Windows 10 Pro
I'm also one of those ppl who had a AM 4 mobo/system since 2018 and I never upgraded my first CPU in it which was a 1600X, lasted me almost 4 years actually.

Currently I'm using an Intel Alder lake system and tbh the 2 generation life span of my mobo's socket does not bother me at all, most likely I won't even switch to Raptor lake for years let alone care about further upgrades.
Reason being, my use case does not need/require it that often. 'Casual single player/MMO gaming and thats it'

I'm also one of those ppl who had a AM 4 mobo since 2018 and I never upgraded my first CPU in it which was a 1600X, lasted me almost 4 years actually.

Currently I'm using an Intel system and tbh the 2 generation life span of my mobo's socket does not bother me at all, most likely I won't even switch to Raptor lake for years let alone care about further upgrades.
Reason being, my use case does not need/require it that often. 'Casual single player/MMO gaming and thats it'
but why did you move to an intel when you could have easily bought a 5950x and keep your old system instead of throwing 200 bucks on a new mobo?
Actually if you only need it for casual games/mmo why even upgrade at all? (I ask that knowing fully well that it's just fun to power up once in a while =P)

System Name I don't name my systems.
Processor i3-12100F 'power limit removed'
Motherboard Asus Prime B660-PLUS D4
Cooling ID-Cooling SE 224 XT ARGB V3 'CPU', 4x Be Quiet! Light Wings + 2x Arctic P12 black case fans.
Memory 4x8GB G.SKILL Ripjaws V DDR4 3200MHz
Video Card(s) Asus TuF V2 RTX 3060 Ti @1920 MHz Core/950mV Undervolt
Storage 4 TB WD Red, 1 TB Silicon Power A55 Sata, 1 TB Kingston A2000 NVMe, 256 GB Adata Spectrix s40g NVMe
Display(s) 29" 2560x1080 75 Hz / LG 29WK600-W
Case Be Quiet! Pure Base 500 FX Black
Audio Device(s) Onboard + Hama uRage SoundZ 900+USB DAC
Power Supply Seasonic CORE GM 500W 80+ Gold
Mouse Canyon Puncher GM-20
Keyboard SPC Gear GK630K Tournament 'Kailh Brown'
Software Windows 10 Pro
but why did you move to an intel when you could have easily bought a 5950x and keep your old system instead of throwing 200 bucks on a new mobo?
Actually if you only need it for casual games/mmo why even upgrade at all? (I ask that knowing fully well that it's just fun to power up once in a while =P)

I'm a budget user on a tight budget so stuff like the 5950x I don't even look at or consider.:laugh:
I draw the line around 200 $ max on a CPU alone but I prefer cheaper if possible/available.

When I made the switch the non X 5600 wasn't even offical and the second hand R5 3600/3700X was stupid overpriced and I did not feel like spending that kind of money on a 4 year old mobo with aging feature set.
So I decided to sell the whole thing and switch to Alder lake/12100F and guess what it did not cost me more than upgrading my old B350 so in overall I ended up with a better and more modern system.
At the time of my switch, the second hand 3600 was going for ~170$ alone, so yea I noped out of that. Sure if I only sold my 1600x and drop in a CPU upgrade then yea it would be cheaper but not by much so at that point I was like yeah might as well switch to a new platform.

After selling the B350 mobo+cpu+cooler the overall cost of my Alder lake system was about the same, around 180$.

As for why I even needed the upgrade, well the IPC of my first gen Ryzen was rather lackluster in some of the games I play so the massive IPC improvement of Alder lake was exactly what I needed for my use case and so far its been great, no regrets.:)

That being said if I still had my B350 system then maybe I would consider a non X 5600 drop in upgrade but at the time it wasn't even confirmed nor the B350 support, don't have a crystal ball either.:oops: 'Actually my exact B350 mobo was one of the last to get the Bios udpdate just recently..'

Last edited:
System Name Dumbass
Processor AMD Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF gaming B650
Cooling Artic Liquid Freezer 2 - 420mm
Memory G.Skill Sniper 32gb DDR5 6000
Video Card(s) GreenTeam 4070 ti super 16gb
Storage Samsung EVO 500gb & 1Tb, 2tb HDD, 500gb WD Black
Display(s) 1x Nixeus NX_EDG27, 2x Dell S2440L (16:9)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/8 140mm SP Fans
Audio Device(s) onboard (realtek?) - SPKRS:Logitech Z623 200w 2.1
Power Supply Corsair HX1000i
Mouse Steeseries Esports Wireless
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
Benchmark Scores https://i.imgur.com/aoz3vWY.jpg?2
At a time when Intel was teasing AMD about using glue. :D:rolleyes:

4. Absolute most people out there do not upgrade their CPUs so often

But, agree, to buy a motherboard in 2017 and be able to put in the same MB processor from late 2020 (and even 2022 - especially it makes sense, if you often play online games) - very nice, right?

5. Almost all the screaming about Intel switching sockets comes from ... AMD fans

That's a strong statement.
Will there be proofs? (note - if user has an AMD processor, it does not necessarily mean, that he is a fan of this company)

In no way I vindicate what Intel does - I just do not care.

If you really didn't care, you wouldn't make such categorical statements, but you do.

They don't kill people, actively destroy/pollute the environment

As noted several times above - production of motherboards does not happen by magic.
And this is obvious and you could well have guessed it yourself and not make such claims, but for some reason you do.
Strange.

Processor AMD 3700X
Motherboard MSI P55-GD80
Cooling Fractal Design Celsius S24
Memory 2x16gb Crucial e-die 3000MHZ
Video Card(s) MSI 3070 Trio
Display(s) Lenovo G27Q-20
Case Phantec P400
Audio Device(s) GSP370
Power Supply EVGA G3 750W
Mouse Corsair Harpoon Pro
VR HMD Rift
Can the amd fan boys cut it out already?

3 different chipsets in 3 years. AMD are no better than Intel. eWaste is a complete nonargument. Both sides are bringing products to market, neither provide recycling programs.

AMD even had the audacity to prevent support for 5xxx series on b3/x3/b4/x4 motherboards from day 0 (the evidence is the backpedalling they did to eventually provide AGESA support all the way to b3)!

The better questions to ask is what cost does maintaining compatibility with current mounts bring in terms of layout and cooling? Does the new socket bring new features over the previous generation?

D

Deleted member 24505

I don't give a piss. If i have the cash to upgrade at will, like some on TPU obviously do, i would not cry at having to buy a new board to go with the new CPU. Sometimes sticking a new CPU in a old( bodged with AGESA/bios update) to work is not the best way, even if it does work, you may miss out on new motherboard features.

As has been said, most users keep their setups for longer than 1 generation, so the only people it matters to are the whiners on TPU.

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
I don't give a piss. If i have the cash to upgrade at will, like some on TPU obviously do, i would not cry at having to buy a new board to go with the new CPU. Sometimes sticking a new CPU in a old( bodged with AGESA/bios update) to work is not the best way, even if it does work, you may miss out on new motherboard features.

As has been said, most users keep their setups for longer than 1 generation, so the only people it matters to are the whiners on TPU.
You don't care, birdie doesn't care, your vocalism says otherwise.

If my opinion is that board swaps are a pain why should I care about what you or birdie thinks.
Or what the majority does.

Doesn't change My opinion.

Regardless of where that opinion now pidgin holes me.