• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Announces Expanded Ryzen Threadripper 5000 WX-Series Availability

In March of 2022, AMD released the latest AMD Ryzen Threadripper PRO 5000 WX-Series processors with our OEM partner Lenovo and the ThinkStation P620. This legendary capability is now expanding into the Dell Precision 7865 workstation. As AMD continues to expand its workstation business, we're happy to share that Ryzen Threadripper PRO 5000 WX-Series processors will be available at leading system integrators worldwide beginning in July, 2022. We also expect to make these processors available to our DIY community later this year.

Threadripper processors have always been a platform that is defined by leadership performance and capability which enables unlimited creative potential. Examining what our most demanding enthusiasts and content creators value most in the platform has led us to unify the Threadripper and Threadripper PRO product lines. Going forward, the Threadripper platform will now use a single "common infrastructure." This means there will be one set of Threadripper PRO processors to choose from, with one CPU socket and chipset, and every processor will be based on AMD Ryzen Threadripper PRO silicon.

This also means that all Threadripper processors will natively offer: 128 lanes of PCIe Gen 4, 8-channel UDIMM and RDIMM support for more flexible memory configurations, massive L3 cache, plus the benefit of security and manageability features common across the Ryzen PRO processor family. Impressive hardware specs like these are a large part of why Threadripper processors are trusted for enthusiasts and professional creators.

Overclocking Support

In addition to the PRO feature set, users will still have access to the same exciting features that made Threadripper processors a true enthusiast platform. Select WRX80 motherboards from our ODM partners will support both memory and CPU overclocking for users looking to push the limits of their workstation even further.

Upgrading From "Zen 2" To "Zen 3" Core Architecture

AMD Ryzen Threadripper PRO 5000WX processors are designed for the WRX80 chipset and sWRX8 CPU socket. Customers with a WRX80 chipset-based motherboard will be able to perform a drop-in upgrade to Threadripper PRO 5000 WX-Series processors after a BIOS update, should they choose to do so.

In this new "one socket" world for "Zen 3" architecture, new motherboards for Threadripper processors will be WRX80 chipset-based. When there is one set of Threadripper processor models, you only need to choose the core count that you want and a motherboard that has the features you need.

Models

View at TechPowerUp Main Site | Source

The chip shortage is hard, and the HEDT market is the worst CPU market that got affected, intel stopped releasing anything since 2019 (mainly because they couldn't compete against AMD with what they have, but chip shortage made it harder as well). And AMD focused more on Epyc and Ryzen, laptop APUs got affected, but the HEDT got the biggest hit.

While AMD tried to give laptops more focus, the fact is things went delayed very much, the mobile APUs were announced in CES, marked for availability in March/April. But most models only came starting in Mid-year, with some models started to appear in September-November, and that's talking about Ryzen 5000 APUs, the same story repeated with Ryzen 6000. I'm yet to find a single Ryzen 6000 laptop in my area/market. APUs general mass availability only comes closer to the release of desktop CPUs with the newer architecture. I mean, Ryzen 4000 (Zen2) laptops only started mass availability when Ryzen 5000 (Zen3) was released, and now, Ryzen 6000 laptops (Zen3+) might get mass availability only after Ryzen 7000 (Zen4) desktop get released, and we might get the same situation with Ryzen 7000 laptops APUs.

Thredripper is worst, the CPUs are only released to OEMs after months of desktop Ryzen release, and DIY market will wait for even longer till the next architecture comes, Zen2 Threadripper came to DIY only after Zen3 Ryzens were released, and now Zen3 Threadripper will come mostly after Zen4 Ryzens are out. I know this to make sure that enough silicons went to Ryzens before TR as it is a much larger market than TR even though TR has much better profits.

With AMD getting more more silicon from TSMC, they're putting more orders each year because demand is getting higher than what originally ordered. I hope things will be easier with Zen4 with general mass availability of both desktop Ryzen and laptop APUs are more aggressive than before. And actually releasing Zen4 based TR sooner and earlier than Zen5. The other thing is while AMD is really getting more silicon from TSMC, they're also releasing Desktop Ryzens along Radeons as well. So I hope they're getting the balance good between the two.

AMD screwed over TR buyers since TRX40 that got only one series and not even a single upgrade series. Those buyers are stuck on Zen2.
I bet them releaseing Zen3 based TR to DIY now is directly related to Intel finally trying to bring something to HEDT (but knowing Intel's sliding release dates i would not hold my breath).

ARF

Interesting news about AMD being the superior choice and dominating the state-of-the-art solutions:

A recent study by Cockroach Labs shows that AMD EPYC CPUs are the most widely used among AWS, Microsoft Azure, and Google Cloud platforms in terms of highly efficient performance versus Intel's Xeon chips.

AMD EPYC outshines Intel Xeon in the newest study focusing on CPU performance in the cloud

AMD EPYC Milan and Rome, the multi-core x86 and x64 microprocessors, blew away the competing Cascade Lake and Ice Lake Xeon CPUs from Intel between the three cloud platforms in various tests on performance conducted by database company CockroachDB.
AMD EPYC CPUs Significantly Outperform Intel Xeon In Cloud Servers, Study Reveals (wccftech.com)

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
Between Epyc and consumer chips as good as the 5950x, is there still a market left for Threadripper?

ARF

Between Epyc and consumer chips as good as the 5950x, is there still a market left for Threadripper?

AMD must change its strategy because Intel prepares 40-C/48-T processors coming with Arrow Lake.
It is very possible that AMD will begin to lag behind and lose its competitiveness unless begins to prepare also E-core equivalent cores.

AMD must change its strategy because Intel prepares 40-C/48-T processors coming with Arrow Lake.
It is very possible that AMD will begin to lag behind and lose its competitiveness unless begins to prepare also E-core equivalent cores.
When will that happen? 2025?
Knowing Intel's sliding release dates im sure AMD will a have the answer by the time Intel really releases something.
Currently supposedly AMD will increase core counts with Zen5. 2024 most likely.

AMD does not really need E-Cores. Their main cores are power efficient.

ARF

When will that happen? 2025?
Knowing Intel's sliding release dates im sure AMD will a have the answer by the time Intel really releases something.
Currently supposedly AMD will increase core counts with Zen5. 2024 most likely.

AMD does not really need E-Cores. Their main cores are power efficient.

Should be H2 2024.
Let's first see the 16-C/32-T Zen 4 Raphael against the 24-C/32-T Raptor Lake.

Well plenty of rumours insist Zen 5 will move to BIG.little with little cores being Bergamo like Zen 5c cores that should kill Intel's E-cores for performance.

I would not write off AMD as Zen 5 will be a massive architectural change. If AMD can pack more cores into the same area and still meet performance metrics I can't see why they wouldn't. It's expecially important for mobile which is why Arrow Lake is such a big deal for Intel. That is a mobile centric architecture and how Intel intends to take on Apple's Mx SoC.

System Name DadsBadAss
Processor I7 13700k w/ HEATKILLER IV PRO Copper Nickel
Motherboard MSI Z790 Tomahawk Wifi DDR4
Cooling BarrowCH Boxfish 200mm-HWLabs SR2 420/GTX&GTS 360-BP Dual D5 MOD TOP- 2x Koolance PMP 450S
Memory 4x8gb HyperX Predator RGB DDR4 4000
Video Card(s) Asrock 6800xt PG D w/ Byski A-AR6900XT-X
Storage WD SN850x 1TB NVME M.2/Adata XPG SX8200 PRO 1TB NVMe M.2
Display(s) Acer XG270HU
Case ThermalTake X71 w/5 Noctua NF-A14 2000 IP67 PWM/3 Noctua NF-F12 2000 IP67 PWM/3 CorsairML120 Pro RGB
Audio Device(s) Klipsch Promedia 2.1
Power Supply Seasonic Focus PX-850 w/CableMod PRO ModMesh RT-Series Black/Blue
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Black Aluminun Mechanical Clicky Thing With Blue LEDs, hows that for a name?!
Software Win11pro
Way to piss off your HEDT users AMD. Now that Intel jumps back in you find a reason to give a damn about the forgotten few TR users? Weak.

Way to piss off your HEDT users AMD. Now that Intel jumps back in you find a reason to give a damn about the forgotten few TR users? Weak.
Try to remember, pandemic economy. It's still a thing. While many people(myself included) think they should not have skipped a Zen Generation, they many not have had a choice. Now that things are returning to normal, they can get back into the swing of it all.