• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Take Flight in the Dragon Isles when World of Warcraft Dragonflight Lands Later This Year

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
Blizzard Entertainment announced today that Dragonflight, the next expansion to the massively multiplayer online role-playing game World of Warcraft, is now available for pre-purchase and is set to launch later this year. In Dragonflight, players will embark to the awakening Dragon Isles, the origin place of dragonkind, where the fabled dragon aspects have returned to claim their rightful home.

The Dragon Isles feature four lush new zones for players to adventure through on their journey to the new level cap of 70: the vibrant Waking Shores, the verdant Ohn'ahran Plains, the sprawling Azure Span, and the resplendent Thaldraszus. Dragonriding, a new method of aerial movement, empowers players to soar through the skies of each new area in style atop customizable Dragon Isles Drakes. The isles are home to the all-new playable Dracthyr allied race, who mix the magics of the dragonflights with ranged damage and healer specializations as a solely dedicated Evoker hero class that start off at level 58.

"We are thrilled to share that we'll be bringing our next expansion to players later this year. Dragonflight is a return to Azeroth, and the freedom and exploration that World of Warcraft is known for," said Executive Producer Holly Longdale. "This is your chance to get up close and personal with the rich history of the storied Dragon Isles, and to immerse yourself in the high-fantasy at the core of the Warcraft universe."

The expansion introduces an extensive overhaul of the game's character talent system, which offers flavorful and impactful talent choices at every level. There are also significant updates to in-game professions with new work order and specialization systems, on top of a modernized and streamlined Heads Up Display (HUD) and User Interface (UI).

Digital Pre-Purchase Bonuses & Collector's Edition
Dragonflight is available for digital pre-purchase as a Base edition ($49.99 SRP), Heroic edition ($69.99 SRP), and Epic edition ($89.99). Each digital edition includes one or more items for you to enlist in joining forces with the dragonflights as they reclaim their lost realm:
  • Base Edition: Includes Drakks, a pre-purchase bonus pet to accompany you on your quests.
  • Heroic Edition: Includes Drakks pre-purchase bonus pet, the new Murkastrasza pet, a Dragonflight-level character boost (level 60), and a new Tangled Dreamweaver flying mount to soar on.
  • Epic Edition: Includes all Base and Heroic items, the Timewalker's Hearthstone effect, the Diadem of the Spell-keeper head-slot transmog, the Wings of Awakening back-slot transmog in five color variants, and 30 days of game time.

Dragonflight also comes as a boxed Collector's Set, which sports a trove of gear in addition to an Epic edition digital key and Drakks pet. With the Collector's Set, players can explore Dragonflight's visual development with the Art of Dragonflight hardcover book, upgrade their set-up with the powerful visage of an Alexstrasza mousepad, and add iconic representations of Azeroth's five primary dragon flights in a five-pin collector's set. The Collector's Set is available today on the Official Blizzard Gear Store.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

WoW has always done well at making low-poly and rudimentary lighting look pretty good. Imagine if they were freed from the requirement to run on a potato. Perhaps we will see a graphically updated WoW one of these days.

This sounds like there is a non-negotiatable deadline for 2022 release, lets hope quality doesn't suffer, WOW can't really deal with another failure like Shadowland.

Processor Intel i9 9900K @5GHz w/ Corsair H150i Pro CPU AiO w/Corsair HD120 RBG fan
Motherboard Asus Z390 Maximus XI Code
Cooling 6x120mm Corsair HD120 RBG fans
Memory Corsair Vengeance RBG 2x8GB 3600MHz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 3080Ti STRIX OC
Storage Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB , 970 EVO 1TB, Samsung 850 EVO 1TB SSD, 10TB Synology DS1621+ RAID5
Display(s) Corsair Xeneon 32" 32UHD144 4K
Case Corsair 570x RBG Tempered Glass
Audio Device(s) Onboard / Corsair Virtuoso XT Wireless RGB
Power Supply Corsair HX850w Platinum Series
Mouse Logitech G604s
Keyboard Corsair K70 Rapidfire
Software Windows 11 x64 Professional
Benchmark Scores Firestrike - 23520 Heaven - 3670
WoW has always done well at making low-poly and rudimentary lighting look pretty good. Imagine if they were freed from the requirement to run on a potato. Perhaps we will see a graphically updated WoW one of these days.
Have you seen the system requirements? Far from a potato.

The only way we see a major graphical overhaul is worth a new engine. The only way they would pull that off is by making wow 2. They just simply don't have the team that I would need to take to redo all old assets from vanilla up until now. That's too time-consuming

System Name Cyberline
Processor Intel Core i7 2600k -> 12600k
Motherboard Asus P8P67 LE Rev 3.0 -> Gigabyte Z690 Auros Elite DDR4
Cooling Tuniq Tower 120 -> Custom Watercoolingloop
Memory Corsair (4x2) 8gb 1600mhz -> Crucial (8x2) 16gb 3600mhz
Video Card(s) AMD RX480 -> ... nope still the same :'(
Storage Samsung 750 Evo 250gb SSD + WD 1tb x 2 + WD 2tb -> 2tb MVMe SSD
Display(s) Philips 32inch LPF5605H (television) -> Dell S3220DGF
Case antec 600 -> Thermaltake Tenor HTCP case
Audio Device(s) Focusrite 2i4 (USB)
Power Supply Seasonic 620watt 80+ Platinum
Mouse Elecom EX-G
Keyboard Rapoo V700
Software Windows 10 Pro 64bit
imagine wanting to have ANYTHING at all to do with ActivisionBlizzard in 2022...heck im borderline offended this is even posted here.

System Name TheDeeGee's PC
Processor Intel Core i7-11700
Motherboard ASRock Z590 Steel Legend
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory Crucial Ballistix 3200/C16 4x8GB
Video Card(s) Nvidia RTX 4070 Ti 12GB
Storage Crucial P5 Plus 2TB / Crucial P3 Plus 2TB / Crucial P3 Plus 4TB
Display(s) EIZO CX240
Case Fractal Design Define 7
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster ZXR, AKG K601 Headphones
Power Supply Seasonic Fanless TX-700
Mouse Logitech G500s
Keyboard Keychron Q6
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Benchmark Scores None, as long as my games runs smooth.
I havn't played since 2018, but that potato argument is mighty old.

WoW needs a good PC to run smooth, especially in raids and populated areas.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
The base edition doesn't even contain any game time? And the heroic... doesn't either?

WoW. Just WoW.

You really shouldn't be found in any Blizzard game anymore. Holy crap, I know I never will buy into that sort of deal, even if WoW becomes the game it was in its glory days again. What the actual f.

That's 12,99 per month plus 50 to enter, bi yearly, for repurposed assets and no new mechanics.

Processor Intel i9 9900K @5GHz w/ Corsair H150i Pro CPU AiO w/Corsair HD120 RBG fan
Storage Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB , 970 EVO 1TB, Samsung 850 EVO 1TB SSD, 10TB Synology DS1621+ RAID5
Mouse Logitech G604s
The base edition doesn't even contain any game time? And the heroic... doesn't either?

WoW. Just WoW.

You really shouldn't be found in any Blizzard game anymore. Holy crap, I know I never will buy into that sort of deal, even if WoW becomes the game it was in its glory days again. What the actual f.

That's 12,99 per month plus 50 to enter, bi yearly, for repurposed assets and no new mechanics.
Not everything is repurposed assets. There are a lot of new models and assets in the game and new mechanics. When was the last time you played? Cata?

imagine wanting to have ANYTHING at all to do with ActivisionBlizzard in 2022...heck im borderline offended this is even posted here.
Imaging complaining about a company like ActivisionBlizzard in 2022 after everything that has happened and after corrections are being made and not wanting to support a company that develops great games that people enjoy that had nothing to do with the sexual harassments and were victims of it and not supporting them so they cant make a living. Imagine.

Not everything is repurposed assets. There are a lot of new models and assets in the game and new mechanics. When was the last time you played? Cata?

Imaging complaining about a company like ActivisionBlizzard in 2022 after everything that has happened and after corrections are being made and not wanting to support a company that develops great games that people enjoy that had nothing to do with the sexual harassments and were victims of it and not supporting them so they cant make a living. Imagine.
Imagine making this comment after the release of Diablo Immortal and Diablo IV having the same "live service" model. Can't ignore reality and can't blame the devs but it's not our responsibility to float a dying company that has made awful decisions.

Not trying to flame bait but just found it ironic.

Mouse Logitech G604s
Imagine making this comment after the release of Diablo Immortal and Diablo IV having the same "live service" model. Can't ignore reality and can't blame the devs but it's not our responsibility to float a dying company that has made awful decisions.

Not trying to flame bait but just found it ironic.
You realize that diablo immortal is a MOBILE game right? The game is free. They have to make money just like all the other P2W mobile games. The only reason it is on PC is because cry babies cried that it wasnt diablo 4 and wanted it on PC.

I have not heard that Diablo 4 having the same model as Immortal. Source on that?

Wow is not in the same category. If you think it is, youre delusional.

Have you seen the system requirements? Far from a potato.

The only way we see a major graphical overhaul is worth a new engine. The only way they would pull that off is by making wow 2. They just simply don't have the team that I would need to take to redo all old assets from vanilla up until now. That's too time-consuming
*googles system reqs*

Actually a bit shocked by the recommended specs (minimum specs are firmly in the realm of old moldy potato, recommended specs are a nice sweet potato or maybe a Swedish Peanut Fingerling potato). Wonder if they'll ever update the engine with something like nanite for LOD.