• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

TerraMaster Releases New TOS 5 System with Higher Security

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
TerraMaster, a professional brand that specializes in providing innovative storage products for home, businesses and enterprises, announces the global availability of the new TOS 5 operating system - officially released on June 13, 2022. Compared to TOS 4, TerraMaster TOS 5 features more than 100 new functions that provided great improvements and tighter security for data storage. Some of the new feature functions for higher data protection includes WORM file system support, Security Isolation Mode, and OTP Authorization.

Improved Security for Data Storage
  • WORM File System Support: TOS 5 features WORM File System support, a unique data protection function that provides the ultimate protection against cyberattacks and accidental data deletion or modification. In this file system format, data can only be written once and will be immune from malicious attacks, deletion, or tampering. This function can protect data for up to 70 years - perfect solution for records and sensitive data in the financial, judicial, medical, and scientific research sectors.
  • System Isolation Mode: The TerraMaster NAS running on TOS 5 can completely isolate itself from the external network through network isolation, digital signature, and file format restriction - a very effective tool against sudden virus and ransomware attacks.
  • OTP Authorization: With TOS 5, users can activate One-Time Password (OTP) Authorization to add another layer of security to your TNAS. OTP is randomly generated via the TNAS Mobile App that will be used for login verification.
Flexible RAID Support in TRAID
By optimizing the traditional RAID mode, TerraMaster RAID (TRAID) provides flexible disk array configuration, flexible online migration, capacity expansion, and redundancy policies. TRAID also improves disk space utilization and provides solutions and security protection for storage space changes caused by new business requirements.

New Data Backup and Synchronization Solutions
1. Single Portal Folder Level Back up
In TOS 5, backup solutions have been simplified and can now be found in a one-stop backup portal. Backup solutions include Central Backup, TerraSync, Duple Backup, Snapshot, USB Copy, CloudSync, and others.
2. Business Focused ProActive Back up
Centralized proactive backup is a business-oriented solution that supports backup and restoration for multiple device types in one large network. Using TOS 5, data managers can centralize backup data from computers, servers, virtual machines, and others in one TNAS.
3. CloudSync
New to TOS 5, CloudSync integrates multiple cloud drives and syncs them into one application. Supported cloud services include Google Drive, One Drive, Amazon S3, Backblaze, Box, Dropbox, Koofr, OpenDrive, pCloud, Yandex disk, and Aliyun.
4. TerraSync
Also new to TOS 5, TerraSync is synchronization tool that realizes data synchronization between multiple users and multiple devices. It provides efficient synchronization of data across multiple platforms and devices improving collaborative work.

Other TOS 5 Features
1. Terra Photos
Terra Photos is a new AI photo management application available in TOS 5. The application uses intelligent AI algorithms to identify and classify faces, pets, locations, and other objects in photos.
2. Surveillance Manager
The new Surveillance Manager application enables the TNAS storage resources to realize camera management, real-time monitoring, video storage, playback, query, event and activity monitoring, and recording, providing you with economic and flexible video monitoring management tools to safeguard your personal and property safety.

TNAS Mobile 5
To complement TOS 5, TerraMaster launched a comprehensive update to the TNAS Mobile app thus presenting TNAS Mobile 5. It features a refined user interface and new functions including mobile phone backup, photo management, personal folders, team folders, data safebox, TerraSync, remote administrator, and others.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name Dumbass
Processor AMD Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF gaming B650
Cooling Artic Liquid Freezer 2 - 420mm
Memory G.Skill Sniper 32gb DDR5 6000
Video Card(s) GreenTeam 4070 ti super 16gb
Storage Samsung EVO 500gb & 1Tb, 2tb HDD, 500gb WD Black
Display(s) 1x Nixeus NX_EDG27, 2x Dell S2440L (16:9)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/8 140mm SP Fans
Audio Device(s) onboard (realtek?) - SPKRS:Logitech Z623 200w 2.1
Power Supply Corsair HX1000i
Mouse Steeseries Esports Wireless
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
Benchmark Scores https://i.imgur.com/aoz3vWY.jpg?2
Not familiar with this OS, does it have a gui or only comand line?

System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
I've never used Terramaster.

When doing my own NAS research for both home and work, their solutions look appealing and well-made but horror stories of data loss on OS update or mandatory data wipes for various operations scared me away. Synology and QNAP are far from perfect - you kind of have to roll your own FreeNAS/TrueNAS if you want complete freedom and control - but there was enough noise about TerraMaster OS issues on the internet (FUD or otherwise) that I didn't want to take the risk; A NAS is usually purchased for backup purposes or resilient storage and the last thing anyone wants in those scenarios is uncertainty about their data safety.

I'm sorry TerraMaster but in this particular industry segment once you make a mistake or two you are guilty until proven innocent. I know that's a catch-22 situation but I don't make the rules and you should have known this from the start. Until enough independent reviews praising the stability and reliability of your new OS exist, you are effectively selling the unknown to people who are specifically looking for certainty.

I've never used Terramaster.

When doing my own NAS research for both home and work, their solutions look appealing and well-made but horror stories of data loss on OS update or mandatory data wipes for various operations scared me away. Synology and QNAP are far from perfect - you kind of have to roll your own FreeNAS/TrueNAS if you want complete freedom and control - but there was enough noise about TerraMaster OS issues on the internet (FUD or otherwise) that I didn't want to take the risk; A NAS is usually purchased for backup purposes or resilient storage and the last thing anyone wants in those scenarios is uncertainty about their data safety.

I'm sorry TerraMaster but in this particular industry segment once you make a mistake or two you are guilty until proven innocent. I know that's a catch-22 situation but I don't make the rules and you should have known this from the start. Until enough independent reviews praising the stability and reliability of your new OS exist, you are effectively selling the unknown to people who are specifically looking for certainty.
Why would you be sorry? Last time I checked we still live in a consequence-bound world.

System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
Why would you be sorry? Last time I checked we still live in a consequence-bound world.
I feel sorry for software developers who are living in the shadow of their predecessor's mistakes. Guilty until proven innocent isn't a fair playing field but it's the one we have.

Hard to trust Chinese software especially in something critical like a NAS

Hard to trust Chinese software especially in something critical like a NAS
Then the only 'non-Chinese' software would be the one from Synology, which is quite shady on its own.
Or you'd need to go with FOSS which isn't the best thing to have in terms of security, especially with the lack of proper audits.