• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

The EU Proposes New Mobile Device Regulation to Extend Product Life Time

Processor i5 4670K - @ 4.8GHZ core
Motherboard MSI Z87 G43
Cooling Thermalright Ultra-120 *(Modded to fit on this motherboard)
Memory 16GB 2400MHZ
Video Card(s) HD7970 GHZ edition Sapphire
Storage Samsung 120GB 850 EVO & 4X 2TB HDD (Seagate)
Display(s) 42" Panasonice LED TV @120Hz
Case Corsair 200R
Audio Device(s) Xfi Xtreme Music with Hyper X Core
Power Supply Cooler Master 700 Watts
System Name Poor Man's PC
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 7500F
Motherboard MSI B650M Mortar WiFi
Cooling ID Cooling SE 206 XT
Memory 32GB GSkill Flare X5 DDR5 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 6800 XT
Storage XPG Gammix S70 Blade 2TB + 8 TB WD Ultrastar DC HC320
Display(s) Mi Gaming Curved 3440x1440 144Hz
Case Cougar MG120-G
Audio Device(s) MPow Air Wireless + Mi Soundbar
Power Supply Enermax Revolution DF 650W Gold
Mouse Logitech MX Anywhere 3
Keyboard Logitech Pro X + Kailh box heavy pale blue switch + Durock stabilizers
VR HMD Meta Quest 2
Benchmark Scores Who need bench when everything already fast?
Phone are just lifestyles nowadays, not just necessity but personality as well.

hat

Enthusiast
System Name Starlifter :: Dragonfly
Processor i7 2600k 4.4GHz :: i5 10400
Motherboard ASUS P8P67 Pro :: ASUS Prime H570-Plus
Cooling Cryorig M9 :: Stock
Memory 4x4GB DDR3 2133 :: 2x8GB DDR4 2400
Video Card(s) PNY GTX1070 :: Integrated UHD 630
Storage Crucial MX500 1TB, 2x1TB Seagate RAID 0 :: Mushkin Enhanced 60GB SSD, 3x4TB Seagate HDD RAID5
Display(s) Onn 165hz 1080p :: Acer 1080p
Case Antec SOHO 1030B :: Old White Full Tower
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro - Bose Companion 2 Series III :: None
Power Supply FSP Hydro GE 550w :: EVGA Supernova 550
Software Windows 10 Pro - Plex Server on Dragonfly
Benchmark Scores >9000
Making more reliable batteries is a good step, but what about the phone itself? What about all the phones out there that seem to go to shit and slow to a crawl after a year or two? I know it's not simply a case of user error when I've personally factory reset a few phones, only to have them exhibit the same behavior afterwards with a clean slate. Planned obsolescence is a real thing, hell it was even in my history books back when I was in high school over 10 years ago... Until manufacturers start building to last rather than building to fail, this issue will always exist.

System Name Main
Processor 5900X
Motherboard Asrock 570X Taichi
Memory 32GB
Video Card(s) 6800XT
Display(s) Odyssey C49G95T - 5120 x 1440
3G service uses a precious RF spectrum. Operators need it for the much faster 4G/5G and stuff. However, they can't just switch 3G off because many phones still use it.
Thats' wrong. Lotsa operators have turned off 3G already, and are keeping 2G for legacy (one of the main reasons is not phones, but MCM like payment terminals)

Couldn't this somewhat be circumvented by providing worse usable battery capacity through firmware?
as in the phone can't be charged over actuall 80% and less than 20% (or other numbers)? more actual capacity than the phone says.

Thats' wrong. Lotsa operators have turned off 3G already, and are keeping 2G for legacy (one of the main reasons is not phones, but MCM like payment terminals)
And lotsa operators, like 90% (mostly in developing countries) still can't afford to do that simply because they will leave ~70% of their subscribers without service. Numbers from recent Broadcomm, Eriscsson and Huawei reports. Gotta find those .pdfs...
Their network or subscriber phones don't support IMS (still CSFB to 2G/3G even if phone is LTE-capable), so switching off 3G will dump the entire traffic in 2G, which in turn will congest badly. It also has to do with VoLTE roaming.

Making more reliable batteries is a good step, but what about the phone itself? What about all the phones out there that seem to go to shit and slow to a crawl after a year or two? I know it's not simply a case of user error when I've personally factory reset a few phones, only to have them exhibit the same behavior afterwards with a clean slate. Planned obsolescence is a real thing, hell it was even in my history books back when I was in high school over 10 years ago... Until manufacturers start building to last rather than building to fail, this issue will always exist.
This. And the big brands like Apple and Samsung are VERY guilty of it. Google is one of the bad brands that actually invests in their phones long term.

While I support being able to replace the battery, I'd also just make do with strapping a slim external battery bank (such as those 5000mah ones with the thickness of 2 stacked credit cards and only slightly larger L/W than a credit card) onto the back of the phone case, perma-plugged to the phone (since I can just recharge the battery bank at the same time it recharges the phone).

If anything, I'd like a return to the short period when replacement phone cases had a larger integrated battery and replaced both the back of the phone and added a protective edge around the back and sides of the phone.

And lotsa operators, like 90% (mostly in developing countries) still can't afford to do that simply because they will leave ~70% of their subscribers without service. Numbers from recent Broadcomm, Eriscsson and Huawei reports. Gotta find those .pdfs...
Their network or subscriber phones don't support IMS (still CSFB to 2G/3G even if phone is LTE-capable), so switching off 3G will dump the entire traffic in 2G, which in turn will congest badly. It also has to do with VoLTE roaming.
That situation does NOT apply to most of the EU and all but the southern most reaches of North America, and as this is an article about the EU...