• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD CPU Roadmap - stagnation coming?

Will AMD have problems with the competitiveness in the next 5 years or so?

• No

Votes: 37 50.7%
  • Yes

Votes: 14 19.2%
  • No clue

Votes: 22 30.1%

• Total voters

ARF

We all know that TSMC N5 and N4 are basically the same process with some small, rather insignificant changes.

This roadmap hints that AMD will move to consumer Zen (6?) Ryzen chips on N3 - the next shrink - as late as the next-next generation, or Zen 6. Because Zen 5C won't be used in Ryzen?

What do you think about this?
1663925883357.png

AMD CEO, Dr. Lisa Su, To Visit TSMC Next Month To Discuss Future 2nm, 3nm Chip Projects (wccftech.com)

1663925849501.png

AMD CEO, Dr. Lisa Su, To Visit TSMC Next Month To Discuss Future 2nm, 3nm Chip Projects (wccftech.com)

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
Sorry, what?

Intel stayed on 14nm for a good 200 years there, how is THIS stagnant?

You do realise that percentagewise, the change from 7nm to 3nm is really really tiny
Like... in a big way. The big tiny. Yeaaaah. Take that, words.

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
Processor Ryzen 2700X
Motherboard X470 Tachi Ultimate
Cooling Scythe Big Shuriken 3
Memory C.R.S.
Video Card(s) Radeon VII
Software Win 7
Benchmark Scores Never high enough
Yes, intel used 14nm for several years and this allowed AMD to catch.

AMD will have problems because from 2022 to 2025-2026 it will use the same process, while intel will very aggressively push the more cores agenda.

View attachment 262734
Intel Next-Gen Desktop CPUs Confirmed: 13th Gen Raptor Lake This Year, 14th Gen Meteor Lake In 2023, 15th Gen Arrow Lake In 2024, 16th Gen Lunar Lake In 2025 (wccftech.com)
I've seen nothing confirming AMD sticking with the same process at that time (2025-26) in the linked articles.

To be fair, there is mention of 2024+ for Zen 5 but at this time it's also fair to state it that way.

No one, not even AMD knows how development will go and succeed at that time as of today. Because of that, nothing of it is confirmed at this time, we'll know more as those dates get closer.

As these dates approach we'll see how progress towards newer nodes is doing and be able to more accurately predict what's to come at those time period "Targets".
That does mean there could be breakthroughs that allows AMD to proceed to a newer node even faster than what's being predicted today - You never know what's going to be concerning R&D until it happens as fact, not as conjecture.

The same thing applies to Intel, they too could come up with something special along the way that lets them claw their way back on top.

Concerning the statement about Intel, that to me is calling the kettle black by Intel since awhile back they were claiming AMD was "Gluing" cores together - Remember that?

Must have been some damn good glue because it worked, leading to Intel getting clobbered and now Intel, like it or not has to come up with their own glue formula and hope it works even half as well at this point if they really intend to pursue the "Moar cores" agenda they harped about against AMD for so long.

The overall point is it's fine to forecast what you think will be at that time, just don't go saying it today as if it's already written in stone at those times tomorrow because it's not.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
The pessimist in me says that AMD needs to start working on big little in chiplets sooner rather than later if they want to maintain leadership.

SL2

Zen 2 is 7 nm

Zen 3 is 7 nm

Zen 4 is 5 nm

Zen 5 is 4 nm

Zen 6 is possibly 3 nm

I see no stagnation. Zen 3 should have been a sign of stagnation if anything, look how that turned out. No, we're not talking about availability here.

Also, isn't Zen 5 supposed to be the biggest architectural change since 2017? No, I have no link for that.

This thread makes zero sense.

AMD has been on 7 nm for over three years ( = OMFG STAGNATIONZz) while still dominating the sales with two year old CPU's, which I still don't understand since Alder is fast and price competitive.
Yeah I know all about old AM4 systems being upgraded, but I still am surprised.

When AMD implements their big-little equivalent whatever multithreading advantage Intel has with the use of Ecores will go poof.
There was rumors that Nova Lake (Q4 2025?) is going to bring huge IPC improvements, but these are just rumors.If this doesn't happen, AMD will probably be competitive with Intel for the next 5 years (unless we have a major China/Taiwan incident)

• Nova Lake (Panther Cove [tentative]/ Darkmont) 2025
    This will mark the biggest architectural change in cpu architecture since the Core architecture is introduced in 2006. Intel is working to build an entirely new architecture from the ground up much like Ryzen with up to 50% cpu performance improvement from lunar lake. This is also the reason why Glenn Hinton returned.

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
This thread makes zero sense.
I have to agree. Why? Because the "competitive edge" is an erratic, unpredictable, rapidly moving and perhaps most importantly, "blurry" target.

By blurry I mean that "edge" is really multifaceted with several edges and the most important (leading?) edge depends on the individual consumer's perspective/priority and NOT the author of some article, blogger or any forum poster.

Which of the following determines the leading competitive edge?

The fastest clock speed?​
The most cores?​
The most threads?​
The smallest process node/architecture?​
The best efficiency?​
The lowest power consumption?​
The lowest heat generation?​
The highest heat tolerance?​
The highest MIPS (million instructions per second) value?​
The best integrated graphics (if applicable)?​
The best security features?​
The deepest pockets?​
The most sales on Amazon?​
The cheapest price?​
The consumer's personal preference/loyalty?​

All of the above?​
None of the above?​
Depends?​

Ask me tomorrow.

I say AMD and Intel will remain competitive for decades to come, barring any one or more of the following:

A major war,​
A devastating natural disaster,​
A global shortage of raw materials,​
A really stupid upper-management business decision,​
A hostile take-over that obliterates one company or the other,​
A friendly merger,​
A totally unprecedented, massive, upper-level management criminal scandal,​
Something totally unforeseen.​

Truth be told we (everyone) needs both AMD and Intel to succeed and thrive. We need Intel to keep looking over their shoulders to make sure AMD does not pass them (again) and we need AMD to keep nipping at Intel's heels. If they leapfrog and change places again, that's fine. As long as one keeps innovating and the other keeps up, it is a win/win/win.

ARF

lol, very funny :rolleyes:

Which of the following determines the leading competitive edge?

Top performance, performance crown, and the trend of market share - number of sales.

I guess we will know better in several days - Zen 4 vs. Raptor Lake as a starting point.

Do you remember when AMD had 80% sales at mindfactory? No one talks about that anymore.

v12dock

Block Caption of Rainey Street
Supporter
How many times has Intel had to delay a project and it’s not just a 10nm issue. Sapphire Rapids and ARC are newer projects that they have had to push out continually. I would take Intel’s roadmap with a grain of salt. Sure Pat is “better” CEO than some in the past but I think he a little cocky. He still has this mentality that Intel has superior engineers when AMD has been parrying or beating them for several years now.

1 year ago he said “AMD is in the rear-view mirror" and then a few weeks ago he said AMD has to much momentum? Honestly I think Pat is kind of a jackass, but the more I have to use VMWare I get more and more frustrated on how VMWare operates in which he was the CEO of for 8 years.

Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASRock X670E Taichi
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 Chromax
Memory 32GB DDR5 6000 CL30
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 4090 Trio
Storage Too much
Display(s) Acer Predator XB3 27" 240 Hz
Case Thermaltake Core X9
Audio Device(s) Topping DX5, DCA Aeon II
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Titanium 850w
Mouse G305
Keyboard Wooting HE60
VR HMD Valve Index
Software Win 10
Either you are saying TSMC will stagnate and by extension this will harm AMD's processor progression or that AMD will not pursue the latest TSMC nodes in a timely fashion. Either scenario in extremely unlikely. Given recent history it is far more likely that Intel will face more issues regarding cutting edge nodes than TSMC.

System Name HP EliteBook 725 G3
Processor AMD PRO A10-8700B (1.8 GHz CMT dual module with 3.2 GHz boost)
Motherboard HP proprietary
Cooling pretty good
Memory 8 GB SK Hynix DDR3 SODIMM
Video Card(s) Radeon R6 (Carrizo/GCNv3)
Storage internal Kioxia XG6 1 TB NVMe SSD (aftermarket)
Display(s) HP P22h G4 21.5" 1080p (& 768p internal LCD)
Case HP proprietary metal case
Audio Device(s) built-in Conexant CX20724 HDA chipset -> Roland RH-200S
Power Supply HP-branded AC adapter
Mouse Steelseries Rival 310
Keyboard Cherry G84-5200
Software Alma Linux 9.1
Benchmark Scores Broadcom BCM94356 11ac M.2 WiFi card (aftermarket)
Either you are saying TSMC will stagnate and by extension this will harm AMD's processor progression or that AMD will not pursue the latest TSMC nodes in a timely fashion. Either scenario in extremely unlikely. Given recent history it is far more likely that Intel will face more issues regarding cutting edge nodes than TSMC.
Why is it "extremely unlikely" that TSMC will stagnate? Past performance is not a guarantee for the future. No reason that TSMC could not start struggling as they run into certain physics related limits. Every golden age comes to an end. If that happens though, AMD will probably be slowed down a bit but I am sure that there will still be some meaningful progress. After all, AMD was still able to advance a decent amount while being stuck on GlobalFoundries (and TSMC if you include cat chips) 28 nm (which was tweaked over time, of course, like Intel's 14 nm).

Processor i5-6600K
Motherboard Asus Z170A
Cooling some cheap Cooler Master Hyper 103 or similar
Memory 16GB DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) IGP
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250GB
Display(s) 2x Oldell 24" 1920x1200
Case Bitfenix Nova white windowless non-mesh
Audio Device(s) E-mu 1212m PCI
Power Supply Seasonic G-360
Mouse Logitech Marble trackball, never had a mouse
Keyboard Key Tronic KT2000, no Win key because 1994
Software Oldwin
The pessimist in me says that AMD needs to start working on big little in chiplets sooner rather than later if they want to maintain leadership.
When AMD implements their big-little equivalent whatever multithreading advantage Intel has with the use of Ecores will go poof.
AMD's big-little is not a given. It's more likely in notebook-oriented APUs, which come to desktop later.

But what about Zen CCDs? Of course they are exploring architectural changes to achieve (a) performance per thread very high when few threads are running and (b) total performance per mm2 very high with highly multithreaded loads.
But also (c) both of those goals in a single chiplet if possible, in order to bring some benefits of big-little to midrange, single-CCD Ryzens.
Not to forget that (d) same chiplet goes into server CPUs where MT performance is what really counts, in most cases.

But AMD may take more exotic path, or paths, to get there. One possibility is more than 2-way SMT. Not necessarily 4-way but 3-way. They're not afraid of odd numbers like "three", and they've gathered enough experience with SMT by now, so they can assess both costs and benefits.

Another possibility is the return of some elements of their clustered multithreading (CMT) - without abandoning SMT, of course. Pairs of cores can share some structures, L2 for example, in a manner similar to Intel's E-clusters. They've gathered enough experience with CMT by now, maybe the engineers can extract something good from it.

Or they may see some benefit in implementing IBM's combined L2-L3 cache in some form, license it and make it work. IBM Z architecture is very distant from x86 - but its CPU package has two chiplets of 8 cores each, which isn't so distant.

Is there any solid info regarding increased number of cores per CCD in Zen 5? It would be weird, for both Ryzen and Epyc, if they stay at 8.

Also, I want to believe that the 3D cache die can extend L2 too, not just L3. Just a crazy thought. Too crazy.

Processor Ryzen 5700x
Motherboard Gigabyte X570S Aero G R1.1 BiosF5g
Cooling Noctua NH-C12P SE14 w/ NF-A15 HS-PWM Fan 1500rpm
Memory Micron DDR4-3200 2x32GB D.S. D.R. (CT2K32G4DFD832A)
Video Card(s) AMD RX 6800 - Asus Tuf
Storage Kingston KC3000 1TB & 2TB & 4TB Corsair LPX
Display(s) LG 27UL550-W (27" 4k)
Case Be Quiet Pure Base 600 (no window)
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220-VB
Power Supply SuperFlower Leadex V Gold Pro 850W ATX Ver2.52
Mouse Mionix Naos Pro
Keyboard Corsair Strafe with browns
Software W10 22H2 Pro x64
We all know that TSMC N5 and N4 are basically the same process with some small, rather insignificant changes.

This roadmap hints that AMD will move to consumer Zen (6?) Ryzen chips on N3 - the next shrink - as late as the next-next generation, or Zen 6. Because Zen 5C won't be used in Ryzen?

What do you think about this?
View attachment 262731

ARM and RISC will make them both (Intel & AMD) irrelevant by 2026 ;) :)

System Name HP Compaq 8000 Elite CMT
Processor Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550
Motherboard Hewlett-Packard 3647h
Memory 16GB DDR3
Video Card(s) Asus NVIDIA GeForce GT 1030 2GB GDDR5 (fan-less)
Storage 2TB Micron SATA SSD; 2TB Seagate Firecuda 3.5" HDD
Display(s) Dell P2416D (2560 x 1440)
Power Supply 12V HP proprietary
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
Considering their performance is neck and neck, it’s more of a process optimized and which minor difference on what application, or what hardware acceleration parts have been added.

I don’t think we will see double digit IPC increases ever again due to architecture changes. Increases from better memory, lower latency, prefetch and speculative execution on small cores with cached results maybe

System Name HP Compaq 8000 Elite CMT
Processor Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550
Motherboard Hewlett-Packard 3647h
Memory 16GB DDR3
Video Card(s) Asus NVIDIA GeForce GT 1030 2GB GDDR5 (fan-less)
Storage 2TB Micron SATA SSD; 2TB Seagate Firecuda 3.5" HDD
Display(s) Dell P2416D (2560 x 1440)
Power Supply 12V HP proprietary
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
On chip RAM (like the Apple M series) will help with access speed, but I hope it will also allow for additional external RAM (unlike the M series)

Processor i5-6600K
Motherboard Asus Z170A
Cooling some cheap Cooler Master Hyper 103 or similar
Memory 16GB DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) IGP
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250GB
Display(s) 2x Oldell 24" 1920x1200
Case Bitfenix Nova white windowless non-mesh
Audio Device(s) E-mu 1212m PCI
Power Supply Seasonic G-360
Mouse Logitech Marble trackball, never had a mouse
Keyboard Key Tronic KT2000, no Win key because 1994
Software Oldwin
AMD's big-little is not a given. It's more likely in notebook-oriented APUs, which come to desktop later.

But what about Zen CCDs? Of course they are exploring architectural changes to achieve (a) performance per thread very high when few threads are running and (b) total performance per mm2 very high with highly multithreaded loads.
But also (c) both of those goals in a single chiplet if possible, in order to bring some benefits of big-little to midrange, single-CCD Ryzens.
Not to forget that (d) same chiplet goes into server CPUs where MT performance is what really counts, in most cases.

But AMD may take more exotic path, or paths, to get there. One possibility is more than 2-way SMT. Not necessarily 4-way but 3-way. They're not afraid of odd numbers like "three", and they've gathered enough experience with SMT by now, so they can assess both costs and benefits.

Another possibility is the return of some elements of their clustered multithreading (CMT) - without abandoning SMT, of course. Pairs of cores can share some structures, L2 for example, in a manner similar to Intel's E-clusters. They've gathered enough experience with CMT by now, maybe the engineers can extract something good from it.

Or they may see some benefit in implementing IBM's combined L2-L3 cache in some form, license it and make it work. IBM Z architecture is very distant from x86 - but its CPU package has two chiplets of 8 cores each, which isn't so distant.

Is there any solid info regarding increased number of cores per CCD in Zen 5? It would be weird, for both Ryzen and Epyc, if they stay at 8.

Also, I want to believe that the 3D cache die can extend L2 too, not just L3. Just a crazy thought. Too crazy.
Sure i agree it's not a given, but it seems to be the most probable path imo.
All the alternative paths that you mentioned are known and already debated in most sites forums 2 years back before Zen3 launch regarding what path AMD will choose.
Like you said the use that makes most sense for a low power, small die size design is in mobile (and in some server cases) and this will come anyway.
The challenges regarding universal increase in single thread performance that arise if you increase core count in CCD or if you increase SMT to 3-way etc are more difficult to solve than just add a second compatible low power/small die size CCD that you already have anyway, and keep the high performance CCD at 8C/16T.
I'm not saying that what you say isn't potentially coming eventually, i just think that in the immediate future timeframe (2024) it makes more sense for AMD in client space at least to choose that path economically and based on what competition is offering.
But i agree that this isn't set in stone and that AMD have other alternatives also!

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
Top performance, performance crown, and the trend of market share - number of sales.
LOL

"Top performance" and "performance crown" are just 2 ways of saying the same thing - so only count as one criteria.

But it also brings up another "blurry" point. No CPU provides the "best performance" for every task. For example, some CPUs are better at gaming while others are better at CAD/CAE tasks. And others still are better for file servers. Even among the most popular games, no single CPU (or CPU brand) is the best performer.

"Trend in market share" and "number of sales"? No way. Those only indicate which company has done the better job at marketing and pricing (and perhaps distributing) their product.

I mean McDonald's sells over 1/2 billion Big Macs every year - by a very large margin, more than any other. And there is no denying, it tastes good (if you add bacon! ;)). But does dominating global market share make the Big Mac the best burger in the world?

ARF

Yes, intel used 14nm for several years and this allowed AMD to catch.

AMD will have problems because from 2022 to 2025-2026 it will use the same process, while intel will very aggressively push the more cores agenda.

View attachment 262734
Intel Next-Gen Desktop CPUs Confirmed: 13th Gen Raptor Lake This Year, 14th Gen Meteor Lake In 2023, 15th Gen Arrow Lake In 2024, 16th Gen Lunar Lake In 2025 (wccftech.com)

Wccftech has updated this roadmap - now it looks much worse for Intel ?

1667246533472.png

Intel Client & Server CPU Roadmap Updates: Meteor Lake In 2023, 20A & 18A Powered Xeons & Core Chips Beyond 2024 (wccftech.com)

System Name Nebulon-B Mk. 4
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard MSi PRO B650M-A WiFi
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock 4
Memory 2x 24 GB Corsair Vengeance EXPO DDR5-6000
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 7800 XT
Storage 2 TB Corsair MP600 GS, 2 TB Corsair MP600 R2, 4 + 8 TB Seagate Barracuda 3.5"
Display(s) Dell S3422DWG, 7" Waveshare touchscreen
Case Kolink Citadel Mesh black
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-750
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2S
Keyboard Logitech G413 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 single-core: 1,800, multi-core: 18,000. Superposition 1080p Extreme: 9,900.
1. How do you expect stagnation based on a roadmap that only mentions process nodes?
2. Why worry about stagnation? I mean, sure, innovation is good because we have shiny new toys, but stagnation is good too, because we can keep our shiny new toys longer.

ARF

Because if Mooré's law is indeed dead, we have a major problem in our society - as we know they can't shrink those transistors for forever and ever, because they enter the quantum effects pretty fast and we are not ready with it just yet.

Stagnation in PCs is really bad - we have powerful RTX 4090 and the vast majority have crappy TN 1080p panels with 6-bit colour.

We need this to end and to move to 2160p with 10-bit OLED HDR panels for all PC monitors sizes.

System Name daily driver Mac mini M2 Pro
Processor Apple Silicon M2 Pro (6 p-cores, 4 e-cores)
Motherboard Apple proprietary
Cooling Apple proprietary
Memory Apple proprietary 16GB LPDDR5 unified memory
Video Card(s) Apple Silicon M2 Pro (16-core GPU)
Storage Apple proprietary 512GB SSD + various external HDDs
Display(s) LG 27UL850W (4K@60Hz IPS)
Case Apple proprietary
Audio Device(s) Apple proprietary
Power Supply Apple proprietary
Mouse Apple Magic Trackpad 2
Keyboard Keychron K1 tenkeyless (Gateron Reds)
Software macOS Ventura 13.6 (including latest patches)
Benchmark Scores (My Windows daily driver is a Beelink Mini S12. I'm not interested in benchmarking.)
Stagnation in PCs is really bad - we have powerful RTX 4090 and the vast majority have crappy TN 1080p panels with 6-bit colour.

I'm not aware of any graphics cards that have built-in displays (other than a couple of models that have some sort of stats panel for showing temperature, load, etc.). Even the displays in notebook computers are separate line items on the BOM.

And I've never heard of a 4090 in a notebook computer.

Owners of 4090 graphics cards are free to use whatever display they'd like. If some of them are professional esports competitors and a 1080p TN panel gives them the edge to win, that's fine too. It's their money.

• Haha
Reactions: ARF