• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

NVIDIA AD103 and AD104 Chips Powering RTX 4080 Series Detailed

No it won't be. You can't throw out MCD area, just because AMD moved them off the main chip...
nVidia also has Tensor Cores and a double number of nvenc/dec.

In other words, ~80% more than the Ampere cores (CUDA, RT, Tensor) and the added performance of a new generation. They can increase now because the disadvantage of the manufacturing node is no longer there.
The RTX 4090 promises to be a beast.

System Name Dirt Sheep | Silent Sheep
Processor i5-2400 | 13900K (-0.025mV offset)
Motherboard Asus P8H67-M LE | Gigabyte AERO Z690-G, bios F26 with "Instant 6 GHz" on
Cooling Scythe Katana Type 1 | Noctua NH-U12A chromax.black
Memory G-skill 2*8GB DDR3 | Corsair Vengeance 4*32GB DDR5 5200Mhz C40 @4000MHz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 970GTX Mini | NV 1080TI FE (cap at 85%, 800mV)
Storage 2*SN850 1TB, 230S 4TB, 840EVO 128GB, WD green 2TB HDD, IronWolf 6TB, 2*HC550 18TB in RAID1
Display(s) LG 21` FHD W2261VP | Lenovo 27` 4K Qreator 27
Case Thermaltake V3 Black|Define 7 Solid, stock 3*14 fans+ 2*12 front&buttom+ out 1*8 (on expansion slot)
Audio Device(s) Beyerdynamic DT 990 (or the screen speakers when I'm too lazy)
Power Supply Enermax Pro82+ 525W | Corsair RM650x (2021)
Mouse Logitech Master 3
Keyboard Roccat Isku FX
VR HMD Nop.
Software WIN 10 | WIN 11
Benchmark Scores CB23 SC: i5-2400=641 | i9-13900k=2325-2281 MC: i5-2400=i9 13900k SC | i9-13900k=37240-35500
It's not irrelevant.
Realising an item's real worth vs. what the price tag says is part of what makes you an informed consumer. Just because something costs $900 it doesn't mean it's actually worth $900, even if you can afford it.
So you will settle for a lesser product even if you can afford the one that is best for you (and cost more) just because it is less of a value compering past product?

If so, you dont really need to but the product in the first place.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
So you shop by preformance to Watt of $, not by die size.
The same way you don't shop by memory-bus and, in most situations, not by memory size.
No, its not really like that. If you have some experience in generations of GPU and buying the 'best one', also in terms of performance/$, its far too simple to just look at performance/$ in one isolated product at one moment in time.

GPUs last. And if you buy the right one, they can last very long. And when they last very long, the cost metric works out differently. The longer you can use a GPU, the more value you can extract from it. So damn right things like VRAM capacity matter. If your MO is buying small generational upgrades of, say, 30~40% each time or skip just one gen to get perhaps 50% on the same tier, you've not selected a price point, you just want every upgrade you can get your hands on and its not going to be cost effective. This is the very reason I stuck with my GTX 1080 for so long. It still games fine, I don't miss much honestly. But the more important reasoning here is that any upgrade won't gain me anything meaningful and the tier I usually buy into, to make sure I HAVE a GPU that can last 5 years plus, is far too expensive. Let's face it: a 10GB 3080 at a higher price than what I came from, is just simply not a great deal, no matter how much core perf it has over the past one. It's just missing resources. And a cheaper 12GB with much lower core power? Same issue: what's the point?! Gain 12 FPS in games you could already play?

There is a sweet spot within the high end of every GPU stack where you get something that 'exceeds the norm' for quite a while. Some call it future proofing, but rather, I prefer to call it the PC Sweet spot and it relates closely to where consoles are at that time. It applies to CPU, GPU, RAM, storage. Going to the very top end of available performance is extremely expensive and not cost effective, and because consoles aren't there yet, it won't pay off either because that level isn't being optimized for. But staying right under, and not buying at launch but afterwards, and taking a careful look at market developments, is extremely cost effective. You'll be having something that no software can reasonably get to its knees in the first few years, and after that you'll still have 'enough' for quite a long time as the mainstream/median of performance level in the market starts catching up.

So you can be damn sure I shop by memory size/bus/featureset and numerous other aspects of a GPU. When all those stars align, relative to what I'm upgrading from, and there is a gain of royally over 50% at a good price point (75~100% is better, and that time is close now for me), that's when I know I can get a new deal that will run anything for a long time and then some, while not getting ripped off.

The math is beautiful. In 2017 I paid 420 eur for a GTX 1080. I might soon sell it for 150 ish. I might buy a 550-600 eur replacement that's twice as fast. That's about 50 eur/year for high end gaming. Before mining I've made a similar move going from a 780ti to 1080.

Last edited:
System Name Nebulon-B Mk. 4
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard MSi PRO B650M-A WiFi
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock 4
Memory 2x 24 GB Corsair Vengeance EXPO DDR5-6000
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 7800 XT
Storage 2 TB Corsair MP600 GS, 2 TB Corsair MP600 R2, 4 + 8 TB Seagate Barracuda 3.5"
Display(s) Dell S3422DWG, 7" Waveshare touchscreen
Case Kolink Citadel Mesh black
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-750
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2S
Keyboard Logitech G413 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 single-core: 1,800, multi-core: 18,000. Superposition 1080p Extreme: 9,900.
So you will settle for a lesser product even if you can afford the one that is best for you (and cost more) just because it is less of a value compering past product?
I'm not comparing it to a past product. I'm comparing it to its actual worth. If it doesn't match its price tag, I won't buy it. Even if I had a million £, I wouldn't buy a Lamborghini because it offers terrible value.

If so, you dont really need to but the product in the first place.
That's right. Gaming is a hobby, not a necessity. There's still hundreds of old classics that I can play just fine with my 6500 XT. I'll want an upgrade eventually, but it won't have to be a ridiculously overpriced halo product from Nvidia.

No, its not really like that. If you have some experience in generations of GPU and buying the 'best one', also in terms of performance/$, its far too simple to just look at performance/$ in one isolated product at one moment in time.

GPUs last. And if you buy the right one, they can last very long. And when they last very long, the cost metric works out differently. The longer you can use a GPU, the more value you can extract from it. So damn right things like VRAM capacity matter. If your MO is buying small generational upgrades of, say, 30~40% each time or skip just one gen to get perhaps 50% on the same tier, you've not selected a price point, you just want every upgrade you can get your hands on and its not going to be cost effective. This is the very reason I stuck with my GTX 1080 for so long. It still games fine, I don't miss much honestly. But the more important reasoning here is that any upgrade won't gain me anything meaningful and the tier I usually buy into, to make sure I HAVE a GPU that can last 5 years plus, is far too expensive. Let's face it: a 10GB 3080 at a higher price than what I came from, is just simply not a great deal, no matter how much core perf it has over the past one. It's just missing resources. And a cheaper 12GB with much lower core power? Same issue: what's the point?! Gain 12 FPS in games you could already play?

There is a sweet spot within the high end of every GPU stack where you get something that 'exceeds the norm' for quite a while. Some call it future proofing, but rather, I prefer to call it the PC Sweet spot and it relates closely to where consoles are at that time. It applies to CPU, GPU, RAM, storage. Going to the very top end of available performance is extremely expensive and not cost effective, and because consoles aren't there yet, it won't pay off either because that level isn't being optimized for. But staying right under, and not buying at launch but afterwards, and taking a careful look at market developments, is extremely cost effective. You'll be having something that no software can reasonably get to its knees in the first few years, and after that you'll still have 'enough' for quite a long time as the mainstream/median of performance level in the market starts catching up.

So you can be damn sure I shop by memory size/bus/featureset and numerous other aspects of a GPU. When all those stars align, relative to what I'm upgrading from, and there is a gain of royally over 50% at a good price point (75~100% is better, and that time is close now for me), that's when I know I can get a new deal that will run anything for a long time and then some, while not getting ripped off.

The math is beautiful. In 2017 I paid 420 eur for a GTX 1080. I might soon sell it for 150 ish. I might buy a 550-600 eur replacement that's twice as fast. That's about 50 eur/year for high end gaming. Before mining I've made a similar move going from a 780ti to 1080.
That's a good way of thinking about it. :)

My thinking is that there's the
1. Halo products - They offer terrible value for money and depreciate quickly. In GPUs, avoid at all costs. In CPUs, only buy if your budget allows it. CPUs keep their usage value for a bit longer as generational upgrades aren't so significant. Unfortunately, Nvidia is positioning a bigger and bigger chunk of their product stack into this category. Spending nearly £1,000 on a graphics card that you'll swap for something else only a couple years later when DLSS 4 comes out and only runs on the next high-end thing is a terrible value, whichever way you look at it.
2. Mid-range - It gives you nearly the same experience as the top-end, but at a significantly lower price, and lower depreciation over time. The best value for money is here.
3. Low-end - Low price, low performance, and almost no resale value. This is where I shop when I'm curious about something new, but don't want to touch my savings for something unknown.

Edit: It's not just about price per performance, either. I couldn't care less if my games run at 60 or 100 fps, so from my point of view, the only difference between a midrange and high-end graphics card (besides price and power consumption / cooling requirements) is how well future games will run on it - which Nvidia kills by making new DLSS iterations run only on the newest generation. So effectively, the high-end offers worse value than ever before.

Last edited:
Processor E5-2690 v4
Motherboard VEINEDA X99
Video Card(s) 2080 Ti WINDFROCE OC
Storage NE-512 KingSpec
Display(s) G27Q
Case DAOTECH X9
Power Supply SF450
The idea of a mid range is broken with the 40 series, since 4090 provides best value. 4080 12 is less than a half and costs more.
Take into account that Nvidia also skipped 7nm, we are getting the 2024 cards now ahead of time. so the die size is more tightly packed than the usual. 4080 16 is 600mm² unpacked.
AD104 is not you regular 4070. to compete with 3080 Ti, 4070 would have needed only 25,6 billion and 256 bit bus and less L2.
Because of this the whole lineup would be messed up now, except 4090 that provides incredible value. but for how long, it depends how soon Nvidia moves to N3 or 3N.

Last edited:

ARF

The idea of a mid range is broken with the 40 series, since 4090 provides best value. 4080 12 is less than a half and costs more.
Take into account that Nvidia also skipped 7nm, we are getting the 2024 cards now ahead of time. so the die size is more tightly packed than the usual. 4080 16 is 600mm² unpacked.
AD104 is not you regular 4070. to compete with 3080 Ti, 4070 would have needed only 25,6 billion and 256 bit bus and less L2.
Because of this the whole lineup would be messed up now, except 4090 that provides incredible value. but for how long, it depends how soon Nvidia moves to N3 or 3N.

Yeah, what has changed is that today the low end and midrange are charged with premium taxes, while the halo enthusiasts parts are left without these premium taxes.

In a normal world, the 4080-12 should cost 599, while the 4090 should cost 1999.
What we see is the opposite, the halo is cheaper, while the midrange is more expensive.

Storage 2 TB Corsair MP600 GS, 2 TB Corsair MP600 R2, 4 + 8 TB Seagate Barracuda 3.5"
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 single-core: 1,800, multi-core: 18,000. Superposition 1080p Extreme: 9,900.
Yeah, what has changed is that today the low end and midrange are charged with premium taxes, while the halo enthusiasts parts are left without these premium taxes.

In a normal world, the 4080-12 should cost 599, while the 4090 should cost 1999.
What we see is the opposite, the halo is cheaper, while the midrange is more expensive.
What I see is the mid-range moving up into high-end and halo categories, while the low-end gets basically no attention.

What I mean is, x90 used to be halo tier, x80 high-end, x70 and x60 mid-range, x50 entry-level gamer and x30 and x10 low-end, but now x90 and x80 are halo products, x70 is high-end, x60 and x50 are mid-range, and the low-end basically ceased to exist. AMD is only a tiny bit better in this regard. They actually have entry-level gaming cards with the 6400 and 6500 XT.

This is very strange in a time when chip manufacturing costs more than ever and people have less and less money for hobbies.

Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
I'm not comparing it to a past product. I'm comparing it to its actual worth. If it doesn't match its price tag, I won't buy it. Even if I had a million £, I wouldn't buy a Lamborghini because it offers terrible value.

That's right. Gaming is a hobby, not a necessity. There's still hundreds of old classics that I can play just fine with my 6500 XT. I'll want an upgrade eventually, but it won't have to be a ridiculously overpriced halo product from Nvidia.

That's a good way of thinking about it. :)

My thinking is that there's the
1. Halo products - They offer terrible value for money and depreciate quickly. In GPUs, avoid at all costs. In CPUs, only buy if your budget allows it. CPUs keep their usage value for a bit longer as generational upgrades aren't so significant. Unfortunately, Nvidia is positioning a bigger and bigger chunk of their product stack into this category. Spending nearly £1,000 on a graphics card that you'll swap for something else only a couple years later when DLSS 4 comes out and only runs on the next high-end thing is a terrible value, whichever way you look at it.
2. Mid-range - It gives you nearly the same experience as the top-end, but at a significantly lower price, and lower depreciation over time. The best value for money is here.
3. Low-end - Low price, low performance, and almost no resale value. This is where I shop when I'm curious about something new, but don't want to touch my savings for something unknown.

Edit: It's not just about price per performance, either. I couldn't care less if my games run at 60 or 100 fps, so from my point of view, the only difference between a midrange and high-end graphics card (besides price and power consumption / cooling requirements) is how well future games will run on it - which Nvidia kills by making new DLSS iterations run only on the newest generation. So effectively, the high-end offers worse value than ever before.
Your point 1 conclusion is the exact nail on the head there: nvidia is pushing a larger part of the stack to halo product, and that is caused ironically not by monster specs, but only monstrous MSRP without much to show for it. It wont last.

Software Windows 10 Pro
Your point 1 conclusion is the exact nail on the head there: nvidia is pushing a larger part of the stack to halo product, and that is caused ironically not by monster specs, but only monstrous MSRP without much to show for it. It wont last.
The specs are monstrous, too, considering that you only need that category for 4K. Even my 6500 XT can play everything at 1080p. If I end up buying a 4070, 4060 or 7700 XT, I'll be sorted for a good few years.

Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
A 12-GB part can not be "halo" because today's games and the future games need more VRAM allocation.
But thats just allocation its not usage and you will never notice!!! /S quote:-Nvidia Ampere early adopters
The specs are monstrous, too, considering that you only need that category for 4K. Even my 6500 XT can play everything at 1080p. If I end up buying a 4070, 4060 or 7700 XT, I'll be sorted for a good few years.
4K on a 12 GB part? Lmao, that will last all of 12 months at best. All I see is monstrous shader counts that say nothing, alongside way too little bandwidth.

Software Windows 10 Pro
A 12-GB part can not be "halo" because today's games and the future games need more VRAM allocation.
Allocation and usage are different things. Most modern games allocate as much VRAM as they can without using all of it.

4K on a 12 GB part? Lmao, that will last all of 12 months at best.
Depends on the game, I guess. The GPU resources are there, nonetheless. 12 months sounds about as long as Nvidia wants it to last. By that time, the 4080 Super 24 GB will be out.

Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
Allocation and usage are different things. Most modern games allocate as much VRAM as they can without using all of it.

Depends on the game, I guess. The GPU resources are there, nonetheless. 12 months sounds about as long as Nvidia wants it to last. By that time, the 4080 Super 24 GB will be out.
Full allocation plus low bandwidth relative to core perf = stutter heaven. We've been here a few times in Nvidia history...

AMD also tried a top end product with low VRAM but very high relative bandwidth btw... Fury X with a measly 4GB. We have never seen a GPU fall off in perf over time faster than Fury X. It lost against 6GB at lower bandwidth every step of the way... losing its 1440p & 4K lead by the time Pascal released ; 980ti still relevant, Fury relegated to midrange.

VRAM matters, its the most effective tool for planned obscolescence.

Last edited:
Software Windows 10 Pro
Full allocation plus low bandwidth relative to core perf = stutter heaven. We've been here a few times in Nvidia history...
That will be magically solved by DLSS 4.0. ;) Oh wait... you'll need a 50-series card for that. :slap:

Edit: This is probably why they never released the 3070 Ti 16 GB. It would have made the entire 40-series pointless.

Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
Software Windows 10 Pro
With 13.5GB right :D
That's the Nvidia recipe recently...
1. Pee in your pants seeing how fast the new generation is.
2. Fork up some money, or take out a loan to buy a shiny new x90 card.
3. Wait for a year until the Ti / Super version is out with better efficiency and more VRAM and your halo card isn't worth crap anymore.
4. Start again.

System Name Red Devil
Processor AMD 5950x - Vermeer - B0
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 AORUS MASTER
Cooling NZXT Kraken Z73 360mm; 14 x Corsair QL 120mm RGB Case Fans
Memory G.SKill Trident Z Neo 32GB Kit DDR4-3600 CL14 (F4-3600C14Q-32GTZNB)
Video Card(s) PowerColor's Red Devil Radeon RX 6900 XT (Navi 21 XTX)
Storage 2 x Western Digital SN850 1GB; 1 x Samsung SSD 870EVO 2TB
Display(s) 3 x Asus VG27AQL1A; 1 x Sony A1E OLED 4K
Case Corsair Obsidian 1000D
Audio Device(s) Corsair SP2500; Steel Series Arctis Nova Pro Wireless (XBox Version)
Power Supply AX1500i Digital ATX - 1500w - 80 Plus Titanium
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3
Keyboard Razer Huntsman V2 - Optical Gaming Keyboard
Software Windows 11
The die size differences (12-12.5% for AD102/Navi31 and 9-8% for AD103/Navi32) are based on the figures that leakers claimed for AMD.
The performance/W is just my estimation (4090 will be at max -10% less efficient if compared at the same TBP)
AMD fans saying otherwise just isn't doing AMD a favour because anything more it will to disappointment.
Even what I'm saying probably is too much, because if you take a highly OC Navi31 flagship partner card like Powercolor Red devil, Asus strix, Asrock Formula and the TBP is close to 450W, what i just said is that Navi31 flagship will be regarding performance 100% and 4090 90% which probably isn't going to happen...
Your time to shine is just around the corner. We'll see.

We'll see how much performance is raised; more and more I suspect that large L2 cache might possibly be a Tile architecture element more so than infinity_cache-copy so there might be some impressive jumps.
If it's so then Gigapixel's stuff is finally getting full use (anyone remember that name?)...
popcorn.gif

Software Windows 10 Pro
To those of you who don't understand why having two different cards being called the same (4080) is bad:

TLDR: It's 1. intentionally misleading costumers, 2. the way Nvidia plans to get away with selling a card for 900 bucks that realistically should launch around 600.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
..are the gaming tech review sites going to persist in playing along with Nvidia's sham naming of this card or will they have the integrity to call it out for what it actually is?
I mean, it's what they name it man. It'd be a sham to name it anything else. We leave the opinions to the end user.

No they don't
Why would everyone naming it whatever they feel like be better and create less confusion? Do tell.

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
I mean, it's what they name it man. It'd be a sham to name it anything else. We leave the opinions to the end user.

Why would everyone naming it whatever they feel like be better and create less confusion? Do tell.
In all seriousness ii wouldn't expect to call it a 4070 , and at no point did I suggest otherwise.

It should be pointed out as THE Slightly gimped 4080 or the shit one.

Software Windows 10 Pro
In all seriousness ii wouldn't expect to call it a 4070 , and at no point did I suggest otherwise.

It should be pointed out as THE Slightly gimped 4080 or the shit one.
But it's not. It's called a 4080, same as the 16 GB version. But it's not the same.

The average Joe will walk into a store and think "hey, this 4080 is cheaper than that one. Cool, I don't need 16 GB VRAM anyway" only to find out later that his card is a lot slower than what he expected it to be. Or maybe he doesn't even realise it straight away. I'm not sure which scenario is more sad.

It's not like the RX 480 that you could buy with either 4 or 8 GB VRAM with the same GPU, but the small difference in price suggests so.

I agree with JayzTwoCents: it should be legally mandated to include specs on the box.

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
But it's not. It's called a 4080, same as the 16 GB version. But it's not the same.

The average Joe will walk into a store and think "hey, this 4080 is cheaper than that one. Cool, I don't need 16 GB VRAM anyway" only to find out later that his card is a lot slower than what he expected it to be. Or maybe he doesn't even realise it straight away. I'm not sure which scenario is more sad.

It's not like the RX 480 that you could buy with either 4 or 8 GB VRAM with the same GPU, but the small difference in price suggests so.

I agree with JayzTwoCents: it should be legally mandated to include specs on the box.
I meant in the press, we can't rename it as others have said but can make it known that we don't like it and recognise the BS it represents.

The 12Gb has no founders ed so Evga were on the right track IMHO.

MSRP means nothing, so clearly the 12GB cards are going to end up at or above the cost of Nvidia's 16GB card.

I wouldn't touch Nvidia with yours this time out, but many couldn't care less about ethics, a shame as this shits not new.

I agree with your statements though so no argument here.

Software Windows 10 Pro
I meant in the press, we can't rename it as others have said but can make it known that we don't like it and recognise the BS it represents.

The 12Gb has no founders ed so Evga were on the right track IMHO.

MSRP means nothing, so clearly the 12GB cards are going to end up at or above the cost of Nvidia's 16GB card.

I wouldn't touch Nvidia with yours this time out, but many couldn't care less about ethics, a shame as this shits not new.

I agree with your statements though so no argument here.
I see what you mean. If I was press, I'd start my review by stating that the 4080 12 GB is only a 4080 in name, and I do not recommend anyone to buy one at MSRP. It's essentially a scam.

I agree with you too - I'll give nvidia a hard pass on the 40-series as well. In fact, I'm tempted to build an all-AMD machine again.

Edit: The really sad thing is what JayzTwoCents said in his video. The card may be awesome, but the whole nvidia experience gets soured by their shady practices around naming and pricing.

Last edited:
System Name LMDESKTOPv2
Processor Intel i9 10850K
Motherboard ASRock Z590 PG Velocita
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240 w/ Maintenance Kit
Memory Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600 CL18 2x16
Video Card(s) RTX 3080 Ti FE
Storage Intel Optane 900p 280GB, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 2TB Team Vulkan SSD, 2TB Seagate HDD, 4TB Team MP34 SSD
Display(s) HP Omen 27q, HP 25er
Case Fractal Design Meshify C Steel Panel
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser GSX 1000, Schiit Magni Heresy, Sennheiser HD560S
Power Supply Corsair HX850 V2
Mouse Logitech MX518 Legendary Edition
Keyboard Logitech G413 Carbon
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2 (w/ BOBO VR battery strap)
Software Win 10 Professional
Skipping this gen. Both CPU and GPU from this year are minuscule upgrades from last gen. Waiting on 15th gen and RTX 5000 series.