• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Mountain MacroPad + DisplayPad

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
Mountain dreams of a modular world where you can assemble the perfect keyboard/control center for your needs. Towards this end, the company has launched two new keypads to provide dedicated macro keys as well as a new contender to display key controllers which work independently or in conjunction with Mountain keyboards.

Show full review

Processor R7-7700X
Motherboard Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling Scythe Fuma 2 rev B
Memory no name DDR5-5200
Video Card(s) Some 3080 10GB
Storage dual Intel DC P4610 1.6TB
Display(s) Gigabyte G34MQ + Dell 2708WFP
Case Lian-Li Lancool III black no rgb
Power Supply CM UCP 750W
Software Win 10 Pro x64
objectively the displaypad is too expensive, it's 110USD for 2 rows of 6 keys, that's 9.16$/key

The streamdeck mk2 is 150USD for 3 rows of 5 keys for 10USD per key

with a much better software ecosystem, the displaypad should not be even close to elgatos pricing to be a viable alternative, with less than 1USD/key difference why would you go to an unproven competitor?

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
objectively the displaypad is too expensive, it's 110USD for 2 rows of 6 keys, that's 9.16$/key

The streamdeck mk2 is 150USD for 3 rows of 5 keys for 10USD per key

with a much better software ecosystem, the displaypad should not be even close to elgatos pricing to be a viable alternative, with less than 1USD/key difference why would you go to an unproven competitor?
Unproven is a harsh term, Mountain has been around for a couple of years now with impressive hardware if not the most budget-friendly. The software solution is also arguably one of the best for peripherals in my opinion.

Processor R7-7700X
Motherboard Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling Scythe Fuma 2 rev B
Memory no name DDR5-5200
Video Card(s) Some 3080 10GB
Storage dual Intel DC P4610 1.6TB
Display(s) Gigabyte G34MQ + Dell 2708WFP
Case Lian-Li Lancool III black no rgb
Power Supply CM UCP 750W
Software Win 10 Pro x64
it might be harsh but true, it's their first product in this "deck" market after all whilst elgato has had years and several iterations, that does not mean that mountains software is flawed(apart from the issues mentioned in the review).

But with nary a difference in price, would i chose "the standard" or a new product?, that's my issue at the end.

"sadly" for these products, it's all about reliability, features(and if they work) and interoperability with all the software out there that could be made to interface with the deck, so it ultimately comes to matureness of the soft and pricing

Reactions: VSG

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
it might be harsh but true, it's their first product in this "deck" market after all whilst elgato has had years and several iterations, that does not mean that mountains software is flawed(apart from the issues mentioned in the review).

But with nary a difference in price, would i chose "the standard" or a new product?, that's my issue at the end.

"sadly" for these products, it's all about reliability, features(and if they work) and interoperability with all the software out there that could be made to interface with the deck, so it ultimately comes to matureness of the soft and pricing
Thank you for expanding your thoughts, I appreciate it and understand further.

System Name The Captain (2.0)
Processor Ryzen 7 7700X
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E AORUS Master
Cooling 280mm Arctic Liquid Freezer II, 4x Be Quiet! 140mm Silent Wings 4 (1x exhaust 3x intake)
Memory 32GB (2x16) G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo (6000Mhz)
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 3070 SUPRIM X
Storage 1x Crucial MX500 500GB SSD; 1x Crucial MX500 500GB M.2 SSD; 1x WD Blue HDD, 1x Crucial P5 Plus
Display(s) Aorus CV27F 27" 1080p 165Hz
Case Phanteks Evolv X (Anthracite Gray)
Power Supply Corsair RMx (2021) 1000W 80-Plus Gold
Mouse Varies based on mood/task; is currently Razer Basilisk V3 Pro or Razer Cobra Pro
Keyboard Varies based on mood; currently Razer Blackwidow V4 75% and Hyper X Alloy 65
Nice little review! I'm actually kind of interested in the little Macropad. Looks like a good product for those of us with small hands who need a few more keys but find typical game pads to be too monstrous (Razer Tartarus v2 comes to mind).

System Name Best AMD Computer
Processor AMD 7900X3D
Motherboard Asus X670E E Strix
Cooling In Win SR36
Memory GSKILL DDR5 32GB 5200 30
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse 7900XT (Watercooled)
Storage Corsair MP 700, Seagate 530 2Tb, Adata SX8200 2TBx2, Kingston 2 TBx2, Micron 8 TB, WD AN 1500
Display(s) GIGABYTE FV43U
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Corsair Void Pro, Logitch Z523 5.1
Power Supply Deepcool 1000M
Mouse Logitech g7 gaming mouse
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 11 Pro 64 Steam. GOG, Uplay, Origin
Benchmark Scores Firestrike: 46183 Time Spy: 25121
Alas I still have to use my G510 as it has more M/G keys than this. It still gets me that keyboard technology has regressed to the point where things like this seem viable.

Processor 9600k
Motherboard MSI Z390I Gaming EDGE AC
Cooling Scythe Mugen 5
Memory 32GB of G.Skill Ripjaws V 3600MHz CL16
Video Card(s) MSI 3080 Ventus OC
Storage 2x Intel 660p 1TB
Display(s) Acer CG437KP
Case Streacom BC1 mini
Audio Device(s) Topping MX3
Power Supply Corsair RM750
Mouse R.A.T. DWS
Keyboard HAVIT KB487L / AKKO 3098 / Logitech G19
VR HMD HTC Vive
Benchmark Scores What's a "benchmark"?
And here I was, annoyed by the fact that Logitech's software for a keyboard takes almost 200MB.
@VSG
Nice review, thank you. I'm looking for a simple macro keyboard and the macropad seems to fit the bill, but I have a question about the software, if you still have this thing around and a bit of time: Is it possible to set the "run program" command to run a particular command, for example a simple "nircmd.exe cmdwait 2000 monitor off" or point to a shortcut? I tried installing the software but it's useless without the hardware.

Last edited:

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
And here I was, annoyed by the fact that Logitech's software for a keyboard takes almost 200MB.
@VSG
Nice review, thank you. I'm looking for a simple macro keyboard and the macropad seems to fit the bill, but I have a question about the software, if you still have this thing around and a bit of time: Is it possible to set the "run program" command to run a particular command, for example a simple "nircmd.exe cmdwait 2000 monitor off" or point to a shortcut? I tried installing the software but it's useless without the hardware.
I am traveling for work unfortunately so you might be better off contacting Mountain directly about this.

Processor 9600k
Motherboard MSI Z390I Gaming EDGE AC
Cooling Scythe Mugen 5
Memory 32GB of G.Skill Ripjaws V 3600MHz CL16
Video Card(s) MSI 3080 Ventus OC
Storage 2x Intel 660p 1TB
Display(s) Acer CG437KP
Case Streacom BC1 mini
Audio Device(s) Topping MX3
Power Supply Corsair RM750
Mouse R.A.T. DWS
Keyboard HAVIT KB487L / AKKO 3098 / Logitech G19
VR HMD HTC Vive
Benchmark Scores What's a "benchmark"?
I am traveling for work unfortunately so you might be better off contacting Mountain directly about this.
I shall try this way, thank you

I'm now hoping that Mountain could come up with a gamepad-like add-on for the left-hand side of the keyboard (and an alternate right-hand version, depending on demand), similar to the Razer Tartarus, but modernized with a proper D-pad and replaceable stems.

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
I'm now hoping that Mountain could come up with a gamepad-like add-on for the left-hand side of the keyboard (and an alternate right-hand version, depending on demand), similar to the Razer Tartarus, but modernized with a proper D-pad and replaceable stems.
Be sure to email them with this feedback and anything else you might think of.

I just want a push-button-insult-system like Kevin Samuels had for when I do live broadcasts on Youtube.