• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

My TS Bench Results and TS Settings for i7-10750H

Aragorn

Hello everyone. I've been running my laptop (MSI GL65 Leopard, RTX 2070) with Throttlestop for 1 year now. I apply -85.0 offset voltage to my CPU core and -80.1 offset voltage to CPU cache, I already tested other values and I get BSOD with lower voltages than those remarks. I also ran a TS bench recently and I will post the results (**11.837**) and my settings of Throttlestop in this post. So, I want to get better temperatures for my CPU when it is under heavy load. I saw recently that my CPU keep hitting 80 celsius and a little more when gaming or under heavy load, but I used to have better values back several months ago (70-75 celsius when under heavy load). My CPU cores are all limited to 36 and my CPU frequency is set to 3.60 Ghz through BIOS. I'd also like to add that I applied a thermal paste to both my CPU and GPU 3 months ago, which was of high quality.

What do you recommend on changing the settings in ThrottleStop so that I could have better thermals? I want to be able to hit 70 celsius when I am gaming and I don't want to have to worry about my temperatures. I know 80 celsius isn't a bad temperature under heavy load for gaming laptops, but I want better temperatures and want to get back the old thermals that I once used to have.

I don't have a lot of knowledge of ThrottleStop, so if you have any recommendations on altering some settings in order to get better temperatures, I'd appreciate it.

Thank you in advance!

Attachments

• Screenshot_1.png
    Screenshot_1.png
    69.1 KB · Views: 207
  • Screenshot_2.png
    Screenshot_2.png
    83.7 KB · Views: 205
  • Screenshot_3.png
    Screenshot_3.png
    24.6 KB · Views: 207
Last edited:

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
I used to have better values back several months ago
What high quality paste did you use? Some popular thermal pastes may only last a few weeks or a month on a laptop CPU. If you used to have better temperatures a few months ago then you will need to redo the thermal paste.

You should not be forced to run your CPU at 3600 MHz just to get decent temperatures. You are sacrificing a lot of CPU performance because of your cooling problem. Try to fix that problem. Hopefully that will allow you to run your CPU faster without it getting so hot.

Aragorn

What high quality paste did you use? Some popular thermal pastes may only last a few weeks or a month on a laptop CPU. If you used to have better temperatures a few months ago then you will need to redo the thermal paste.

You should not be forced to run your CPU at 3600 MHz just to get decent temperatures. You are sacrificing a lot of CPU performance because of your cooling problem. Try to fix that problem. Hopefully that will allow you to run your CPU faster without it getting so hot.
I used Zalman, ZM-STC8. It is not a great paste, but it still did the job better than the factory paste that I never replaced in 1.5 years when I first replaced it.

I clean my laptop almost every day and I have a cooler stand under it which helps a little with temperatures. Do you recommend altering any of the ThrottleStop settings so that they may give better results for temperature? I've heard Disabling Controls and lowering PL1 and PL2 numbers helped with some people, not sure if that can help with anything at all. It'd be nice to hear your input as the author of this great app.

Also, I have limited my turbo to 3600 Mhz for 1 year now, because I don't do activities which require extensive CPU power and in my opinion 4.60 mhz is just too overkill with turbo not disabled and honestly it gives me a lot more temperatures easily and often that kind of power isn't needed during my activities. The reason why I set it at 3.60 Ghz is because I barely notice the difference of performance between when I have turbo not limited and limited. I think it is a sweet spot.

Last edited:

unclewebb

There is nothing wrong with your CPU reaching 80°C or even 90°C while gaming or under heavy load. These are normal operating temperatures for an Intel mobile CPU. Intel says that any temperature under 100°C is a "safe operating temperature". The Intel default thermal throttling temperature is 100°C. Your computer is set to start thermal throttling at 95°C so your CPU is extra safe.

If you want, you can lower the PL1 and PL2 power limits. This will make your CPU run slower. I do not see any reason to do this. If 3600 MHz is enough performance for you then everything is OK. Your computer is running exactly the way you want it to run.

Aragorn

Hello again Uncle Webb.

I have another problem and I don't want to make another post over it to avoid many threads. Basically, I am running the same Throttlestop settings as above in the screenshots and I'd like to report that sometimes, not always, when my PKG power hits about over 39 or 40 Watts, my ''PL1'' and ''EDP Other'' limits start showing in yellow in Limits screen. Do you know what could be the reason? I didn't have this before in the past (2-3 months ago) but recently I started having these yellow signs showing up. Do you have any idea what could be the reason and what would you recommend to get rid of those yellow signs for PL1 and EDP Other when my PKG power reaches 39-40 Watts. I assure you that I didn't have this before, so it is something recent.

unclewebb

A 10750H can probably consume 80W or 90W if you let it. Setting the PL1 and PL2 power limits and checking the Clamp boxes is telling the CPU to power limit throttle. When you start running your CPU near the power limits, it is easy enough for one of the power limits to be triggered for a millisecond or two. That can be enough to set off a yellow box in Limit Reasons.

Do you know what could be the reason?
Anything might have changed. Maybe your CPU is running a little hotter. Maybe your load line settings have changed. Maybe there was some sort of Windows update. It is impossible to say what might have changed if this never used to happen.

I only know one thing. If you do not like seeing yellow boxes in Limit Reasons, try increasing your turbo power limits. Setting these limits to 45W is too conservative for a 10750H.

Aragorn

A 10750H can probably consume 80W or 90W if you let it. Setting the PL1 and PL2 power limits and checking the Clamp boxes is telling the CPU to power limit throttle. When you start running your CPU near the power limits, it is easy enough for one of the power limits to be triggered for a millisecond or two. That can be enough to set off a yellow box in Limit Reasons.

Anything might have changed. Maybe your CPU is running a little hotter. Maybe your load line settings have changed. Maybe there was some sort of Windows update. It is impossible to say what might have changed if this never used to happen.

I only know one thing. If you do not like seeing yellow boxes in Limit Reasons, try increasing your turbo power limits. Setting these limits to 45W is too conservative for a 10750H.
Oh I see, thanks for the informative reply. Sorry for my ignorance, is it possibly damaging to the computer yellow signs being triggered due to CPU running near the power limits? Also, would the CPU get hotter temperatures by increasing PL1 and PL2 power limits above my current 45W one? If I am thinking right, more watt means worse temperatures. However, my cores are all set to 3.60 GhZ, so I don't know if changing PL1 & PL2 limits will have any bad impact on the temperature or performance at all.

P.S: I've set my PL1 and PL2 limits to 50W and I will check if it'd have any impact at all on the temperatures and yellow signs being triggered or not.

unclewebb

is it possibly damaging to the computer
All laptops with Intel CPUs are designed to power limit throttle. This helps protect the laptop from getting too hot.

more watt means worse temperatures
That is correct. I think they teach that in high school. If you increase the power limits, you will get less power limit throttling and your laptop will run hotter. You can use ThrottleStop to decide whether you want maximum performance and a hot running laptop or a cool and quiet and slow laptop.

I don't know if changing PL1 & PL2 limits will have any bad impact
I guess you will have to try it and find out for yourself. Only you can decide what is best for you and your laptop.